Old 06-14-2009, 04:28 PM   #169
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Massachusetts
You folks have convinced me that I should buy a vintage AS.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:35 PM   #170
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlb435 View Post
I have just replaced it with a 2008 Safari Sport. I can say that the quality of the floors and laminants are not as good as the 72 stuff. Still, I have tried to buy laminant and the 72 quality materials are just not available anymore. Little things like the bathroom vent fan, over the stove fan and some extra storage has also been eliminated. The body construction is good, but I found that the 72 was just a little better.

Having just got back from the midwest rally, I found what you say very true. Just in looking at the vintage units (70s and 80s) there are far more rivets on the exterior than on the newer ones. Even the storage doors have 2 to 3x the rivets holding it in than my 2004. I like my 04 very much, but it is somewhat disappointing when you read the same issues over and over again that seem to traverse model year after model year. I also have to say that I remain unimpressed with the quality control at Jackson Center. I was not pleased with it in 2003, 2004 seemed marginally better, yet still, even today, folks are still having the same issues they had back in 2003 and 2004. I fully realize these are moving houses and with that some level of problems will and do come up. It just seems to me though that for th prices paid, that a fair number of the things talked about could be solved by the engineering dept, but to be honest, there are times I also think there is no real engineering dept.

Last week or so, I got a recall notice saying my cast alum LED tail lights did not meet DOT specs and that Airstream had to come up with a solution. That solution was to stick 3M reflective tape (about 2" x 2") just above the bumper, in line with the tail lights for better visibility. I would have thought a redesigned lens would have been a more proper fix, but again, I am no engineer, but I am a customer and I don't want to stick reflective tape all over the back end of my Airstream. I paid $40k for this. I expect a $40k fix, not some cheap tape to cover someone's behind. If I wanted to go the cheap route, I would have bought an SOB and expected to have to do things like stick tape on the back body of my trailer.

I think it just really comes down to $$$. What is the lowest they can spend and the most they can make. That makes sense, but long term, being dollar wise and penny foolish only frustrates customers and creates lost customers.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 05:37 PM   #171
1 Rivet Member

Holladay , Utah
toilet cover problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
DH has the same complaint. I was thinking of trying glueing magnets to the inside of the lids and placing another on the wall. I have no idea if that would work, possibly be too weak to hold or so strong as to grab everything metal in the bathroom and he's really gonna have a fit when I put my fluffy cover on!
I don't think AS ever considered males would use the toilets for urination. This is a camping trailer, furgawdsakes, and you should use the trees and bushes like the rest of us. No wonder your black water tanks fill up so fast. AS needs to update their owners' manual to say if you are going to use their toilet for this purpose, you need to sit down like the ladies.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:07 PM   #172
3 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Gene sums it up well in post #167. AS has priority issues; they're too focused on the bottom line utilizing tight purse strings to control warranty expenses while quality becomes secondary. It can be rightly said other companies are guilty also. True, but we bought AS.

In post #166, Terry indicates, among other things, the slow bathroom sink drain. I encountered this issue after having a link under the bath sink addressed by the dealer (no issue prior to this). Now I have a slow drain and still have a leak. More on this later as I intend to take care of this myself. Customer Service = a few hits with numerous misses (becoming a thing of the past). LS
Four Courners Unit
WBCCI # 2460 AIR # 17259
lsinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:20 AM   #173
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
Last week or so, I got a recall notice saying my cast alum LED tail lights did not meet DOT specs and that Airstream had to come up with a solution. That solution was to stick 3M reflective tape (about 2" x 2") just above the bumper, in line with the tail lights for better visibility. I would have thought a redesigned lens would have been a more proper fix, but again, I am no engineer, but I am a customer and I don't want to stick reflective tape all over the back end of my Airstream. I paid $40k for this. I expect a $40k fix, not some cheap tape to cover someone's behind.
I haven't received a recall notice and not everyone will. A friend sent me this:

"Airstream is recalling 2,052 MY 2002-2009 Bambi, International, Safari, 75th Anniversary, DWR, and Ocean Breeze travel trailers for failing to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 108, “Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment.” The travel trailers were built without rear reflex reflectors. Inadequate lighting could reduce visibility of vehicle increase the potential for a crash. Airstream will send dealers separate reflectors to the affected customers and dealers along with instructions for proper installation. Customers will have the option of installing the reflectors or taking the travel trailer to the nearest Airstream certified dealers. This will be done free of charge. The recall began on May 15, 2009. Owners may contact Airstream at 1-937-596-6849."

I don't know where he saw it. They made more than 2,052 trailers during the period, so apparently not all are illegal. I haven't seen this elsewhere on the Forum, so I doubt many people have gotten the notice. Reflectors are cheap and available at auto parts stores, so presumably that could be a marginally more attractive solution.

Gene
Old 06-16-2009, 10:02 AM   #174
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Anyone that has cast alum LED tail lights oval for sure and even possibly the round ones too will be effected by this recall.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...9-a-51800.html
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 06-16-2009, 11:23 AM   #175
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Thanks for the link Eric.

I have what I call double oval LED tail lights and I haven't gotten a recall notice. Not knowing what is cast aluminum (my school didn't have the foundry classes option) and what is not, I can't say how they're made. Their are no rear facing reflectors on our Safari, but there are side mounted ones just before the back end. If reflectors are required to supplement lamps, ours certainly doesn't have them unless the tail light lens reflects.

From 2002 to 2009, more than 10,000 trailer must have been made, but only 2,052 are said to be out of compliance.

When are the high brake lights going to be required on trailers? Maybe a strobe light on the roof too.

Gene
Old 06-16-2009, 01:25 PM   #176
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I have this kind and I was recalled, they are the cast alum tail lights:

Colonial Airstream NJ - 2009 Airstream Flying Cloud 27' FB

Take a look at the pic of the rear of the trailer.

I don't know if they have changed the lens since the recall was made. I do have side red reflectors, but I also have a rearward facing reflector off the bumper. It is small, but it is there and totally rearward facing.

You can see a pic of what I have here located by the lower rear banana wrap:

Colonial Airstream NJ - 2009 Airstream Flying Cloud 25' FB

You can tell what they are starting to do in production here by looking at the back of this DWR 16 footer:

Colonial Airstream NJ - 2009 Airstream International Signature DWR 16' Bambi

I looked up on the NSTSA website and they say 2,052 units.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:01 PM   #177
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Reflectors & Tail lights.

Hi, Gene. The cast aluminum tail lights referrs to the housing that the oval lights are mounted on. Also in this first picture, are the reflectors near the rear bumper, one facing to the side and the other facing to the rear. These reflectors are very small and can be blocked by the rear bumper depending on angle and closeness to trailer. I didn't receive a recall notice yet either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reflectors and tail lights.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	82459   Click image for larger version

Name:	red amber tail lights.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	82464  

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:16 PM   #178
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Sandpoint , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryg View Post
Okay, I've had my 2008 Classic 25' FB since Sept. 08 and I have yet to use it without a problem cropping up. Here's my list so far:
1) The Actibrake unit started "acting" up. It was very slow to release hyd. pressure which resulting in the brakes dragging. The dealer replaced the Actibrake unit and the brakes work great.
2) Numerous water line leaks from poorly assembled compression ring fittings. Again, fixed by the dealer and back on the road.
3) Shower leaked like a sieve. Dealer caulked around door trim and base of shower door. No more leaky shower.
4) Electric jack quit working. Dealer removed paint from screws and bolts on hitch jack assembly, thus properly grounding the jack to the frame. Jack now works great.
5) Bathroom sink drains VERY slowly. Dealer says they all do that on this model due to a design flaw, i.e., poor drain line venting.
6) Last issue (still unresolved), my 15,000 BTU Duo-Therm Heat Pump doesn't work. The compressor trips the 20A A/C CB everytime it tries to start. My A/S has been at the dealer's place for the last two weeks while they continue to order parts (bigger and bigger capacitors).

Terry
Update: Dealer is replacing my A/C with a new unit. Looks like I'll be out of commission for another two weeks. Who do you blame when you buy a trailer with a crap Duo-Therm A/C and a bad Actibrake unit? My trailer has spent more time in the shop than on the road since I bought it. Okay, I'm finished venting...I still like Airstreams

Terry
Old 06-17-2009, 11:46 AM   #179
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Bob, the back of our Safari looks exactly like yours (except for the blue stripes and window). The small rear facing reflectors on the side of the trailer have questionable value. My guess is that some trailers have a reflector built into the tail light lens and some don't.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:40 PM   #180
1996 34' Classic

1996 34' Excella
Locust Grove , Virginia
Thumbs down

I know I posted early in this thread but i've got some pretty serious updated information that makes wife and I think about giving this TT back to Airstream.
We're finishing up a 3 week trip, starting in VA, up to Amish country in PA, to the Glass factories in WV, the Shaker village in Mt. Pleasant KY and on to Okoboji IA.
Problems:
1. Storage Cabinet over the dinette has pulled away from the trailer. Had to stop at AS dealer in Davenport IA for emergency repair. They were very good and made it stable so it won't fall on us but it needs to be completely removed and re-installed
2. Static in the FM radio whenever ceiling lights are on
3. Fantastic fan over dinette still leaks
4. Leak in skylight between outer cover and inner liner
5. Latch on Microwave drawer in pantry not holding, causing all four feet on the microwave to break off
6. Refrig will run on shore power and will run on LP if we don't move the trailer. When we have the LP on and are travelling, it goes out and won't restart. Temp in Fridge gets higher and higher. Not good for the food we're carrying
7. Black tank smell drawn into TT when Fantastic fan is on
8. Doors aren't aligned to they fit correctly.
9. Interior rivets have popped.

These are in addition to the multitude of problems we've already had fixed during two trips back to the dealer where we bought this. I'm tempted to call it a POS trailer but I'm not quite that angry, YET.
2010 TREK 2.3

Fair is where they put ribbons on pigs.
FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:35 PM   #181
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
golden , Colorado
New In-Out Sunroof Fan on Warranty

I had a leak in my fan over the bed of my 23' CCD. I took it in for warranty a month ago to fix the leak. It still dripped and I mentioned it when I took it back a week later. I then noticed it looked super clean, no dust on the blades. This weekend when I was camping I noticed the fan had an In-Out-Off setting. Kind of a nice feature (especially after reading the bear post). I can have the fan over the bed blow in, and the fan over the dinette blow out, getting good air circulation with all the windows closed. I assume these fans are now the standard on all the new models?
Old 08-05-2009, 02:58 PM   #182
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
Shoreacres , Texas
2008 27FB front exterior compartment leak

I had a leak in the front compartment behind the propane bottles when I pulled the AS during a rainstorm. It appeared to me that the water was getting in through about a 1 in. gap in the rubber seal in the downhand position at the floor of the compartment. When I took it back to the dealer they replaced the seal with a new one but it still had the gap at the bottom. When I asked about the gap, they said that it was supposed to be that way. guess what, it still leaks when pulling the trailer in a rain. I have currently taken it back for them to come up with something else, but I was wondering if any one else has had the same issue!