Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2009, 10:35 PM   #181
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
golden , Colorado
New In-Out Sunroof Fan on Warranty

I had a leak in my fan over the bed of my 23' CCD. I took it in for warranty a month ago to fix the leak. It still dripped and I mentioned it when I took it back a week later. I then noticed it looked super clean, no dust on the blades. This weekend when I was camping I noticed the fan had an In-Out-Off setting. Kind of a nice feature (especially after reading the bear post). I can have the fan over the bed blow in, and the fan over the dinette blow out, getting good air circulation with all the windows closed. I assume these fans are now the standard on all the new models?
1cericks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:58 PM   #182
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
Shoreacres , Texas
2008 27FB front exterior compartment leak

I had a leak in the front compartment behind the propane bottles when I pulled the AS during a rainstorm. It appeared to me that the water was getting in through about a 1 in. gap in the rubber seal in the downhand position at the floor of the compartment. When I took it back to the dealer they replaced the seal with a new one but it still had the gap at the bottom. When I asked about the gap, they said that it was supposed to be that way. guess what, it still leaks when pulling the trailer in a rain. I have currently taken it back for them to come up with something else, but I was wondering if any one else has had the same issue!
Silvertherapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:32 PM   #183
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
I have the same trailer and fortunately have not had that problem but mine doesn't have a 1" gap. I'd either find another dealer or take it back to the factory for repair. Is it still under warranty? I'm not familiar with where you are in Texas, but there seem to be at least a couple dealers there - or go to Airstream of Arkansas. I'm sure they'll be able to take care of it.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:34 PM   #184
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Latest problem. The on/off button on the refrigerator isn't working and it seems to be disappearing behind the plate. I got it turned off by pulling the 12v. fuse for the electronics, but the button will have to be fixed to turn it on. Tomorrow I'll have to pry off the plate and see why the button pushed so far back and how to get it back to where it's supposed to be.

We've spent about 15 days on the road since late June and the cascade of broken things has pretty much stopped. Blew another fuse on the jack a week ago.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:29 AM   #185
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
Shoreacres , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini View Post
I have the same trailer and fortunately have not had that problem but mine doesn't have a 1" gap. I'd either find another dealer or take it back to the factory for repair. Is it still under warranty? I'm not familiar with where you are in Texas, but there seem to be at least a couple dealers there - or go to Airstream of Arkansas. I'm sure they'll be able to take care of it.
I am under warranty until Dec this year, and it is being looked at by my dealer. I will check with Airstream concerning the seal, but if your seal does not have a gap, then that explains to me why you don't have a leak and I do!
Silvertherapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:50 PM   #186
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
golden , Colorado
I ran my AC for the first time last weekend and discovered the condensate leaks into the unit and into the trailer. How is the condensate supposed to drain?

The bathroom/shower light switch only works if the 2 lights over the sink (outside the bathroom) are on. Unfortunately this means you cannot go to to the batrhoom at night without turning on the lights outside the bathroom and waking up the other person in the bed. Is it supposed to work that way? Would it be hard to put it on it's own circuit since it has it's own off/low/high switch?
1cericks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:55 PM   #187
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
On our trailer, the water comes out of a tube next to one of the tires on the curbside. That tube may be clogged on yours.

Gene
Old 08-17-2009, 10:37 PM   #188
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
2008 27FB corroding handle

Hi guys
The vertical handle on the left side of the door is corroding very fast.
The "clear coat" is peeling.
How difficult is it to replace it?
Thanks
Dennis
millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:39 AM   #189
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
After you pull the interior skin off, it's easy.
Sorry to say, this is one of those problems you will have to live with. If you can get the rest of the clear coat off the handle it will polish up nicely with a good metal polish.
The reason for the clear coating was to keep things shiny without having to wash and wax every month. The vintage trailers with the bare aluminum skins required monthly wash and wax and a good polishing twice a year. By the late 60's Airstream went to a clear coated finsih to make the trailer upkeep easier.
One problem of the clear coat finish is that if water gets in at an edge, it will corrode under the clear coat. Airstream ussually "repairs" this by removing the clear coat and buffing up the bare metal. Then you have that one little spot to polish up every so often.
After 7-10 years, the clear coat on most trailers looks pretty bad. There are several companies that specialize in removing the old clear coat and respaying the trailer. You can get just the basic service or pay more to have the trailer buffed up before it is sprayed.
I have a 2008 and the clear coat is different than the earlier clear coating. It is now a plastic coating that is much more difficult to remove. I'm hoping that by 2018 there is a process to strip and re-coat the trailer. As of now, there isn't anything out there.
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:47 AM   #190
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
Thanks dlb
I guess one of these days I'll have to strip and polish my handle.
Dennis
millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:27 PM   #191
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
I have a brand new leftover 2008 Safari SE 25FB. I have to say so far (towed ~1000mi and slept 4 nights in her) that I feel like I got a good one. I haven't had anything to really complain about. After the first night of lot camping, I had the dealer fix a minor leak in the shower hose. After the first couple trips, most of the sawdust has worked its way out. Everything works, and works well. No screws have fallen out. Fit and finish seems to be very good. I havent found any filiform corrosion yet either. Maybe the guys at Carolina RV just did a great job getting her ready, but so far so good.
Airstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:08 PM   #192
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
the road... , California
Do the '08 smaller trailers (22' or less) have fewer problems?

Hello!

As an on-the-fence newbie who's been working herself into a hand-wringing tizzy (even though I haven't even come close to making a deposit) I've been wondering how things have been going for the newer 22', 17', and 16' folks--particularly the Safari Sport owners.

Does it seem like the nightmares that have plagued the 2000-2007 models were largely fixed for the 2008 "petite" trailers? is it probably too soon to tell?

Have the '08 Safari Sports started showing the same frame failure problems as seen in slightly older/different models?
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ure-48105.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...-it-33396.html

Does it seem like there's a correlation between size and lack of quality control?

P.S. Thanks in advance, and sorry for any redundant questions (I've been working the search function pretty hard).
Aristolochia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:14 PM   #193
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
This is not about shorter trailers. Ours has continued to have problems and I got tired of listing them. We had them fixed at JC as our warranty ran out and now we're on our own. I can't say I'm feeling confident it has stopped. I'm guessing about 60 warranty items have been claimed and fixed. No corrosion though.

Gene
Old 11-13-2009, 07:58 AM   #194
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristolochia View Post
Hello!

As an on-the-fence newbie who's been working herself into a hand-wringing tizzy (even though I haven't even come close to making a deposit) I've been wondering how things have been going for the newer 22', 17', and 16' folks--particularly the Safari Sport owners.

Does it seem like the nightmares that have plagued the 2000-2007 models were largely fixed for the 2008 "petite" trailers? is it probably too soon to tell?

Have the '08 Safari Sports started showing the same frame failure problems as seen in slightly older/different models?
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ure-48105.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...-it-33396.html

Does it seem like there's a correlation between size and lack of quality control?

P.S. Thanks in advance, and sorry for any redundant questions (I've been working the search function pretty hard).
Our's has been down some rough roads and has over 5000 miles on with no real issues other than a skylight cover with a small crack.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:45 AM   #195
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
We have a 2008 Safari Sport 17' trailer. I bought this trailer used from the first owner. He didn't like all the extra attention he got in an Airstream. We really like the little trailer and find it is just fine for two people and our dog. There have been some problems though. Our nearest authorized dealer is 360 miles away so I've done all repaires myself.
One tire had to be replaced....my fault; drove on an under inflated tire.
The microwave went out. Could get no warrenty from either Airstream or Haier. I replaced it with a Sharp convection/microwave.
The black water tank sensor went out. Micro Pulse sent me a new one for free. Seems to be a common problem.
The edges of the laminate were pulled loose, mostly at foot level. I capped these with aluminum L bars. The laminate in the new trailers is just not as good as the stuff from the 1970's. There have been lots of complaints about the laminate. Don't blame Airstream, this about all you can get these days unless you want something that looks industrial. Airstream does offer really nice stuff on their limited production or very high end trailers. At $75,000+ for a 22' trailer you would expect that.
The light switch for the sewer hook up area went out, replaced it with a switch I had laying around the shop.
The cooling fan for the refridgerator made so much noise it would wake me up at night. I modified the fan mounting to isolate it from the trailer. Very quite now.
The AC makes too much noise. This has been a common complaint with all small trailers, not just Airstream. A small box with a big AC is just going to be noisy. At least is cools like crazy. We did some camping this summer and while our fellow campers were compaining about the cooling in their trailers, we had cooling to spare.
Corrosion (this is one topic that seems to drive people crazy)
OK, if I look real close, I can find small amounts of white at the edges of some panels. There is also some small white stuff under the plastic coating in a few small areas. I don't see it unless I look really close, so I don't consider this to be a problem. I had a 72' before this. You really have to deal with a lot of corrosion with a 35 year old trailer.
What I like most about the trailer is that it has all the amenities you could want in a small trailer. AC, heat, hot and cold running water (even on batteries) good lighting, TV/DVD, stove, microwave/convection oven, stainless steal sinks and a full size bath.....all in 17'!
My biggest complaints are the low ground clearance and the choice of foam for the sofa/bed. There isn't much I can do about the gound clearance but I'm looking at what I can do about the bed.
OK, that's about it.
Am I satisfied with the overall quality of the camper; yes.
Am I satisfied with Airsteam dealer service, no. The nearest dealer is 360 miles away. There is a Thor dealer 10 minutes from my house. Airstream will not allow them to do any dealer service on my trailer.
Am I satisfied with the trailer design; yes
Could Airstream improve this trailer without moving the price point? Yes
Small changes to the wheels and tires would improve ground clearance. Adding end caps to the corners and edges of the laminate would made the interior more durable. Better sofa/bed design would make sleeping more comfortable. Isolating fans and pumps would help keep noise down. I believe all this could be done without raising the cost of the trailer.
Could Airstream improve this trailer and sell it for a higher price?
I don't think so. This little trailer lists for $34,000. Yes, it is cute but it is still only 17' long. Better venting in the galley, higher quality laminate, better TV, radio and toilet. Improved sofa/bed. Improved storage. All these would add up fast. It would add some $3000 to $8000 to an already expensive 17' trailer.
Now for the big one! Would I still buy a 2008 trailer instead of a vintage trailer? Considering the price I paid and how much work I know a vintage trialer is; YES, YES, YES!
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:51 AM   #196
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
Mine now has over 2200mi on her with over 10 nights slept in with no real issues to report.
Airstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:18 PM   #197
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
AC interior trim cracked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowey BC View Post
Update on post 104.
Since we live 2000 Km away from the dealership, issues that we discovered on our way home had to wait. We have a May apt. and hopefully they can work on the door. DH has read all the posts, and wants them to fix it. The square AC shroud promptly cracked with the first bump, DH installed rubber pads to break the shock, but we want a new cover, the AC fan blade rubs somewhere, they might as well fix that while up there.

Jackie
Hi Jackie,
Did you get your AC trim replaced? We noticed a crack in ours too. We are done warranty in a couple of months. It's a drag since we've only used it a few months total. Here are pics of our cracked interior trim. Is this the same issue you had? Did the dealer replace it?

Lisa
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC shroud 1.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	94684   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC shroud 2.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	94685  

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote