Old 07-23-2007, 02:40 PM   #99
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
<snip>As for caulking the basecamp, if it has the same alum as the rest of the Airstream line, DO NOT USE SILICONE CAULK. Use Vulkem or Silkaflex. Silicone reacts with the aluminum!
The area that needed to be caulked is fiberglass and/or steel, but thanks for the tip!

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 03:26 PM   #100
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
Our 2007 is rated an A+!

We have just returned from a 9000+ mile trip, making a total of 12,000+ miles towed since we bought it, and we give our 07 AS a BIG A+!

Randy, you did better than we did with our ac. We did not have enough power and it burned the starter kit. We could not get any help from any Dometic dealer nor their big center 100 miles away. (from Seattle). No help for three weeks, and could not start home to Florida without it. We were in SEA, and it was cool, so we were comfortable. If you have to be stranded, that is a great place to be stranded. KOA recommended an independent repair man who was able to come to us the next day. Cost us $170, but well worth it, plus got a lesson on how not to do it again. Now I really watch the voltmeter, and turn off the ac before turning on microwave, toaster, or hair dryer. But, I did not know that it could be 10 off. Guess I need to get a ditigal one.

We had a water pump replaced and the door adjusted at Jackson Center, but no big deal. Also had a nice stay at JC.

Pat

Old 07-23-2007, 03:36 PM   #101
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Our 2007 is a B+

We've really had nothing serious wrong yet, but the beltline corrosion brings it down to a B+. When JC fixes that in October, we'll give it an A, but then I'll have a Safari-Classic (they will be cleaning off the corrosion, re-sealing the panels, and installing the Classic trim to cover-up the repair).

Tarpon Springs, FL was a little warm for no AC. I would have rather been in Seattle. We packed up and left in a hurry the next day before it got too hot. I'll be watching my voltmeter a lot more closely now when the AC is running. Don't want this happening again.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Hoke

A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a cash advance
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 06:26 AM   #102
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
We are actually sleeping in our trailer while we have renovations taking place on our house. I have noticed the water pump seems noisy. Are you supposed to hear it EACH time there is a demand for water? When we went to a KOA one weekend we were hooked up to the city water and I turned the water pump off and everything seemed to work fine. Don't know if that's SOP but it worked out (at least for that brief outing).

As I had said in an earlier post, one of the window opening devices is difficult to use. When the little flipper is closed (folded in towards the window) it is difficult to lock/secure the window. Have learned to turn flipper outwards rotate the window locking device to secure the window and then turn the flipper back in towards the window. We had a fairly heavy rain the other night and a little water dripped in via the skylight. It really was not much, but it should be "zero" water coming in. The trailer door seems to close properly depending on how much of a "list" the trailer has on it. Also, it is easier to push the door closed when you are on the outside than pull the door closed when you are inside. I can always close the top sliding lock from the inside when I close the door but cannot seem to close the lower lock at all. Well, one lock closed is better than no locks closed. When I eventually go back to the dealer will point this out.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:35 AM   #103
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Yes, water pumps are noisy.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:10 AM   #104
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
water pump noise: easy fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamer1
We are actually sleeping in our trailer while we have renovations taking place on our house. I have noticed the water pump seems noisy. Are you supposed to hear it EACH time there is a demand for water? When we went to a KOA one weekend we were hooked up to the city water and I turned the water pump off and everything seemed to work fine. Don't know if that's SOP but it worked out (at least for that brief outing).
Hi Streamer1,
I had the same noisy problem, fixed using an accumulator tank and pipe insulation. I think it's one of the better ease-to-fix/benefit ratios. Pretty cheap, too.

When conserving power there's no doubt that using available water pressure is the way to go (no pump needed). I take some care to filter and pressure-control incoming water if I have to use it, but generally I prefer to use my own (soft) water to protect the plumbing and fixtures from who knows what's coming out the camp site spigot.

Cheers,
-jd.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:22 PM   #105
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Hey 5cats, is your link still good? When I click on it I keep getting the infamous "page not displayed" page.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:50 PM   #106
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lake Forest , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetb
Michelle, spring is a great time to do the coast. Rhododendrons and azaleas in bloom everywhere and it's like driving through botanical gardens. And then theres that amazing ocean.
We noticed some fairly long rigs in most of the state park campsites, so I'm sure you could do most of them with a little planning.
In the meantime, be careful out--UP!--there!
Janet
PS Finally got a "Flush King." Oh boy! In keeping with this thread, that built-in flusher just doesn't compare. It's very weak and takes forever.
I noticed that we have the same year and model As that you have. Your mention of the "Flush King" interested me because I thought the flushing system that came with the AS was supposed to do the same thing.What does the "Flush King" actually do that the regular system doesn"t?
Old 08-07-2007, 05:28 PM   #107
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Hi Woodedareas,
After a few uses, our built-in flusher seemed to have dwindling pressure even with very strong pressure coming out of the city spigots. We weren't hearing the same original sound of a strong spray, and when I looked down the toilet, I could only see a few weak jets. We'll eventually have the dealer look at it, but in the meantime I'd heard about the Flush King (from Michelle) and seen it in operation, and decided to give it a try. You attach the city water to it, and it has it's own valve (check it out on the Camping World site) that allows you to empty and flush both tanks, as well as the dump hose, and it's an easy process. I disconnect it from the dump hose, etc. for storage. I really like the idea of flushing the gray tank as well as the black, although of course it doesn't take as much rinsing..

5cats, et al,
We boondock and use the H2O pump a lot, and those suggestions for using an accumulator tank and photos are great. Many thanks!
Janet
Old 08-07-2007, 06:09 PM   #108
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
cosmetic problems

Hi
We've had our trailer for about 5 months now and have camped out 4 times so far this summer. We haven't had any mechanical problems only cosmetic ones. Right after we took the Binki3 home about 5 of the halogen bulbs went out...no big thing just purchased a gross of spares and are set for a while.
Two of the cabinet door latches have broken. (contacted our dealer a month ago and still waiting for replacements) I'm going to order a bunch to keep on hand. Why they use plastic latches on a $60,000 trailer is the big question! All of the drawer fronts are falling off in the under the sink cabinet. The cushions on the dining table benches are falling apart. The snaps have pulled off and the stiching around the edges and corners are starting to tear. The latch that holds the awning in place broke in half. (the back awning)
The last item is I have a slow leak in one of my tires!!
We still love our Binki3!!!
Old 08-07-2007, 07:51 PM   #109
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamer1
Hey 5cats, is your link still good? When I click on it I keep getting the infamous "page not displayed" page.
hmmm....still works for me, but the full URL is http://www.airforums.com/forums/f443...tml#post384610

Cheers,
-jd.

On edit: I see the URL got auto-wrapped by the bulletin board software. The full URL is:
"http://www.airforums.com/forums/f443/why-no-accumulator-32191.html#post384610"
Old 08-07-2007, 08:02 PM   #110
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetb
5cats, et al,
We boondock and use the H2O pump a lot, and those suggestions for using an accumulator tank and photos are great. Many thanks!
Janet
Turns out the 20 has ultra-easy access to the water pump -- just under the pots-n-pans drawer below the oven -- which, more than anything else is what made it such an easy mod. yay!

Cheers,
-jd.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:31 PM   #111
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lake Forest , Illinois
Hi Janet
I am convinced so I just ordered one and will give it a try. I also noticed that the system that came with our AS was not that effective so the "Flush King" should hopefully be better.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:23 AM   #112
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
So far I have had good results with the built-in No Fuss Flush system. We'll be traveling for over 30 days soon, so I'll report back if my opinion changes.

Randy

2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Hoke

A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a cash advance
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote