Old 12-02-2006, 06:23 PM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Hard to believe how thin the 2007 QC input has been this year. If you have a 2007, please post and share what you've found!

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 06:34 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
Silvertwinkie, I am sure your have been told many many times. I most certainly hope so. This is one of the greatest thread idea. Anyone considering a purchase know many things bout the unit BEFORE purchase.
Excellent. Thanks and please continue this great service for all Airstreamers.

Old 12-02-2006, 08:03 PM   #17
Craftsman

The fit and finish of my 2007 25' Classic is excellent. The cabinet work is about as good as it gets. Tight joints ,good finish, all the doors and drawers function as they should.I had the the cabinets over the twin beds left out and stacked windows as well as vista views added. I don't miss the storage and the extra windows make the bedroom feel larger. I also had a light installed over the door and that works off the switch just inside the door so I have a light over the door as well as one at step level. I highly recommend this addition to anyone ordering from the factory. All in all a pretty nice unit.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:05 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Mickleton , New Jersey
2007 Quality

I am fanatical about keeping the trailer clean, so it kills me that this happened. I guess I should be glad that I wasn't going to fill fresh water in the tank. I don't know how long I would have kept filling her up waiting to be full. I have read about the tight fit and how difficult it is sometimes to connect a T fitting. Also I thought I might spill anti-freeze on the floor. Of course now I would not care if I did spill a few drops. This thing happened just this afternoon shortly before I wrote my last post, as you could tell I was really upset. I just never dreamed that a hose clamp would not be installed. Now I know why customers would like to watch their trailers being made at Jackson. Just to step in on the line once in awhile a tighten things that are critical. My mistake, first time last time. The furnace is under warranty, just hate to tow it 60 miles for service. Will have to in the spring I guess.

Larry
2005 Dodge Dakota 4X4
mickleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 07:56 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Mickleton , New Jersey
Tank bypass

I have purchased the pump kit at Camping World. So I will attempt to install, and hopefully the pump will work and draw suction. I just went out in the trailer and it is around 34 degrees. I turned on the furnace for fun. But no heat. I let it go through about 4 cycles. Just hoping it might be kind today.
Even on the bottles of RV anti-freeze the instructions say add to fresh water tank or bypass. Wish I had bypassed.

Larry
2005 Dodge Dakota 4X4
Old 12-03-2006, 09:12 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Mickleton , New Jersey
OK, no room to install the bypass T fitting. Unless I unscrew the pump from floor. Not sure if I want to do that I disconnected the inlet line and the filter inline. But the pump is too close to the bulkhead to allow the fitting.
I think this unit is trying to tell me something. I wonder why Thor does not install this fitting for the customer. They could give the model some more letters. Safari SE, LS, and Wk (winterizing kit). Of course another grand maybe, just kidding. So now that I have already contaminated the fresh water tank with 3 gal of anti-freeze. I may have to go and buy more as I don't know why I can't draw any fluid up to the pump. Curious now. Do I need 5 gallons in the tank. Not sure how low a lelvel one can have.

Larry
2005 Dodge Dakota 4X4
Old 12-03-2006, 09:26 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Just a thought on the furnace. Are you plugged into shore power? If your battery is too low only the fan will blow and the heat won't kick on. Or maybe you have a stuck sail switch.

You can add the antifreeze directly to the inlet of the pump without installing the t since you have it disconnected already.

Did you close the valves to bypass your water heater (or is the antifreeze filling that 6 gallon reservoir too)? First water from the inlet will fill the tank there. After you turn those appropriately you have to open and drain that too. Airstream does have that bypass installed.

Our potable water inlet was loose too. We had to be certain water went directly down the tube and not around it until we fixed it.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 10:09 AM   #22
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickleton
OK, no room to install the bypass T fitting. Unless I unscrew the pump from floor. Not sure if I want to do that I disconnected the inlet line and the filter inline. But the pump is too close to the bulkhead to allow the fitting.

Larry
I'm with Carol on this one. Each model is different, but what I did was disconnect the feed, connect a male adapter with a threaded connector to connect to the spot the feed connected. From there, I connect a hose to the male adapter and feed RV antifreeze directly to the system via the pump. I can be done with as little as 2 gallons. I buy 3 just in case.

This last time I did it gave me an idea I am going to do for the next time, but I'll post that later after I get all the bugs worked out.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 10:14 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Mickleton , New Jersey
The furnace came on again on its own. And no CO alarm. You can't count of it to come on when you need it though. Nice to feel the warmth again. I am plugged into shore line. When I was camping in October, the furnace worked sometimes. Before I went to bed it was on but upon waking up, she was cold inside. Back to the antifreeze, I will try again to hook up directly with the inlet fitting attached to the tubing without the fitting. I thought I tried and it did not fit. Will disconnect again.

Thanks
Larry
2005 Dodge Dakota 4X4
Old 12-03-2006, 11:11 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Alarming truth is that when you get a new trailer you have to let the oven and the furnace run and burn off all (manufacturing oils?) until it's run it's course and the alarms stop going off. I got my Airstream at a rally in Salem Oregon in the midst of a heatwave. However about 3 in the morning it got cool enough for the furnace to kick on. All the windows being closed and the furnace not being "broke in" the detector went off. Dazed from my sound sleep, I turned off the heat and stumbled onto the lounge to reach the detector and disengage the battery (there is a button to suspend the sound temporarily.)
First opportunity I had, I opened all the windows and doors, removed the batteries and let the open oven and furnace run full blast until the air was finally clear. It seems that is a necessary step with new units, perhaps some dealers do that in their prep. Do try doing that before you go camping next. New trailers need a lot of airing out. Some people are more adversely affected by that then others. Try keeping a vent open or window cracked to let fresh air in, especially at night with the heat on.

photography
Old 12-03-2006, 12:25 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Mickleton , New Jersey
The pump worked with success going direct, thanks. Wally smiled down on me and the furnace kept up the whole time. I guess some good came out of it by discovering the fill hose not connected. Never would have thought to check that. Like filling your truck with fuel you expect it is going in the tank not between the seats. I know Airstream did not make the furnace. They are the same in other brands. Except other brands cost a fraction of an Airstream so you kind of expect QC to be up some. Now waiting for the cold weather to come as I am winterized to the hilt.

Larry
2005 Dodge Dakota 4X4
Old 12-03-2006, 01:24 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Glad you are all winterized. I hear you about the cost of an AS and wanting things tested out! A lot of people try to spend the first night or two at the dealers to get them back in to fix things, many make that pilgrimage back to the factory. Lots of time, money, inconvenience and frustration involved in the buyer steps. Hope you are enjoying your new Airstream, I think after the "interaction" we all feel an even stronger bond with our silver palaces. And the vintage group thinks we don't work on our units.

photography
Old 12-03-2006, 02:15 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lake Forest , Illinois
WE have a 2007 25' Safari with upgrades. We drove half way across the US without a problem. The biggest fault we found was thw lack of storage and the only storage compartment goes under the bed. On cold days the cold air also goes under the bed. Simply not thoughtful design. Also the metal edges on the rear fender storage box are very pointed and sharp.I really wonder if anyone at the factory ever uses one of their products. They would also be better off using larger and better quality locks on all of the hatches.The 2007 is adequate but in terms of quality I do not think that this trailer is anything that I can call top quality.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:12 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Well, the 2007 SE FB may not be perfect, but we haven't found much to complain about after owning one--for just a couple of days! We really have been all over it, and have adjusted and nudged a few things here and there, to our satisfaction. We haven't done any significant trips that would show up all those insidious issues, but we're pleasantly surprised at the lack of glitches that have shown up so far. We have the twin configuration, so don't notice the storage/cold air problems. And the edges of the rear storage box don't seem to be unusually sharp on our model.
Our smoke detector did go off when we first used our heater, but with a little ventilation the newness burned off, it stopped, and all has been just fine ever since.
The locks don't seem to be difficult to use, and the size seems suitable for the placements...maybe we're missing something here, but in our case, it seems like ignorance is bliss. We are truly happy with the quality and appearance of this trailer. As future issues arise with use, we'll return to the dealer for appropriate repairs. In the meantime, we're feeling pretty content, although it helps a lot to hear about other's problems and observations. Your insights are very appreciated!
Thanks
Janet