Old 09-30-2007, 11:06 PM   #127
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
1964 19' Globetrotter
2012 Interstate Coach
vero beach , Florida
Thumbs down A.S. Quality

I am in my 3rd. new Airstream in 4 years. The 05 was a nightmare. The 06 was much better. The 07 was really porely done AND HAS MUCH CORROSION.
you may count maybe 20-30 owner complaints about corrosion,but I think it's a very high percentage unreported. Others, like myself are so used to poor quality from Airstream ( and their dealer's services) that we've just resigned ourselves to it.
If you don't like the negative posts, don't kill the messinger, rather direct your concerns to the appropriate recipients; ie, A.S, & WBCCI.
By the way, I have a original 1964 A.S. Globetrotter with excellent clearcoat finish. No Corrosion anywhere. They used to demand better of their suppliers and workmen. WHAT HAPPENED?

[QUOTE]
Yes, I would hope that the Airstream Corporation would address any problem that is reported. By your last count, I recall there were 20 - 30 owners reporting corrosion problems. What percentage is that of all the trailers on the road in those same model years? I think itís a small number. Because it affects you, me, and our friends here on the forum personally, itís a big issue for us, but it's probably a small issue for Airstream Corporation, and it will eventually bubble to the top as they address items of higher priority.
Quote:
[/QUOTE

I just had a look at the Portal and there are nearly four times as many guests on the forum as there are members right now. You can see that at almost any time of the day. We want to draw people into the Airstream owners club, not push them away. When I see a post like lwood's post #116 above, I get worried. lwood joined the forum over a year ago and never posted until a few days ago (1 post), but what about the others lurking out there right now? Maybe they are contemplating purchasing an Airstream, or joining the WBCCI. What opinion will they have after reading some of our overly negative information?FWIW,

Randy

07, 25' Ocean Breeze
64, 19' Globetrotter

Air #7609
denellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:47 PM   #128
OrangeKid

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quality after almost 9 months.

We have had our 2007 23' Safari SE LS since January 18, 2007. We have taken around 10 trips, towed the Safari 7000 miles and spent 104 nights in the it. We have had very few problems and no major ones. The morning after bringing the Safari home we discovered a small leak at the water pump. The dealer came to our house and repaired it by replacing a hose.

In August we bought the Safari back to the dealer for some warranty repairs that included installing some missing rivets on the inside, aligning the screen door for easier closing, and correcting a bathroom wall that became seperated from the sink by around 1/4". Our biggest warranty repair was the Tappan microwave oven which would turn on and be unrepsonsive to the controls when we plugged into shore power. The dealer replaced the microwave.

We also had MaxxAir Fan/Mate isntalled over the Fantastic Fan and a MaxxAir roof vent cover installed over the rear manual vent. We love the Maxx vents. We never have to worry about the weather and when it is hot in the Vegas area we tow the Safari with the vents open.

On the whole we have been very satisfied with our Safari and the service we have received at our Airstream dealer.

Old 10-07-2007, 04:27 PM   #129
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Thumbs up Survey!!

Hey gang,

Don't miss the opportunity to complete the Airstream survey at the top of the page:

"Airstream, Inc wants to hear from you, please take a moment to fill in this survey."

I did, and was very candid (yet, tactful) with my answers. There was also mention that a selected few of those who take the survey could earn rewards by providing further input.

I'm still waiting for that call.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 05:59 PM   #130
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger
"Airstream, Inc wants to hear from you, please take a moment to fill in this survey." I did, and was very candid (yet, tactful) with my answers...
I certainly mentioned quality control and resolution of the corrosion problem as the things they should be doing. I encourage others to do the same.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:24 PM   #131
1 Rivet Member

2007 16' International CCD
Rancho Palos Verdes , California
2007 16' CCD International

I am new this forum and I must say that the information that I've read here is fastantic. As noted above we have a 16' CCD International that we took delivery on in March, 2007. It is towed with a 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser, 4 x 4 with AT. So far so good no problems towing. The AS is hooked up with a Equalizer Sway Control Hitch and I'm using a Prodidy Electronic Brake Controler. We been out every month since we took delivery.

We have had minimal problems to date with the AS. The overall quality appears to be quite good as is the fit and finish. A few minor problems such as aligning plugs, doors, etc., but I attributed that to mass production. All easily fixed.

The issues that I have are noisy refrigerator fan and noisy water pump. Both have been mention in numerous posts. The item I did not see mention was the fit for rock guards around the front windows. Mine do not fit flush to the skin of the AS, thus in rainy weather or when it gets washed water leaks between the rock guard windows and actual windows which forces me to release the guard via the under sized zeus fasters (which are very difficult to refasten) Is this a common occurance/poor fit and finish or something that can be fixed under warranty. I haven't contacted the dealer on this yet.....Any comments on this would be appreciated.

Thanks for all the information on this great forum.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:24 AM   #132
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCD4US
I am new this forum and I must say that the information that I've read here is fastantic. As noted above we have a 16' CCD International that we took delivery on in March, 2007. It is towed with a 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser, 4 x 4 with AT. So far so good no problems towing. The AS is hooked up with a Equalizer Sway Control Hitch and I'm using a Prodidy Electronic Brake Controler. We been out every month since we took delivery.

We have had minimal problems to date with the AS. The overall quality appears to be quite good as is the fit and finish. A few minor problems such as aligning plugs, doors, etc., but I attributed that to mass production. All easily fixed.

The issues that I have are noisy refrigerator fan and noisy water pump. Both have been mention in numerous posts. The item I did not see mention was the fit for rock guards around the front windows. Mine do not fit flush to the skin of the AS, thus in rainy weather or when it gets washed water leaks between the rock guard windows and actual windows which forces me to release the guard via the under sized zeus fasters (which are very difficult to refasten) Is this a common occurance/poor fit and finish or something that can be fixed under warranty. I haven't contacted the dealer on this yet.....Any comments on this would be appreciated.

Thanks for all the information on this great forum.
The "zeus" fasteners are very common within the aircraft industry.

They should easily open using a "dime."

I think you have the 3 piece rockguards.

The center section should fit fairly flush, but the wrap window covers will not.

It is designed to keep rocks off the glass, not water.

Who is your dealer?

Andy
Old 10-09-2007, 12:59 PM   #133
1 Rivet Member

2007 16' International CCD
Rancho Palos Verdes , California
My dealer is California RV in Fontana, CA. I have not contacted them regarding this yet. Thanks for your comments.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:07 PM   #134
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCabin
Silvertwinkie,

For the most part, you and I are in "violent agreement" on the corrosion and quality issues, but my point is that the intensity of our posts and threads on some issues are counterproductive to what should be our collective goal of encouraging Airstream ownership.

The corrosion that I have found on the rear endcap beltline of my less than a year old trailer (pictures posted previously) is certainly the most significant quality/warranty issue I have. My others items are nits by comparison and I would probably fix them myself, but since we are going to JC in October, I'm letting them do that.

I agree the corrosion shouldn't be there on a trailer of this age, and I'm not happy that it is. Sure, Airstream has offered to repair it by cleaning it off, resealing, and installing the classic trim, but will it crawl out from under the trim in the future--probably. Will I see it in another unrelated spot sometime down the road--most likely. Will it affect the resale value of my trailer in the future--who knows, there may be other, bigger issues that affect the price.

Yes, we all paid a lot for our units, and could have bought maybe two SOBs for the same price. I purchased mine new, so I have first hand experience with the price differential. Unless your purchasing a Rolls Royce though, can you really expect perfection on any manufactured item today? I think not. You have to be prepared to address some items after delivery. Quality control will never be able to catch everything. Look at what's happening with Mattel toys today.

Yes, I would hope that the Airstream Corporation would address any problem that is reported. By your last count, I recall there were 20 - 30 owners reporting corrosion problems. What percentage is that of all the trailers on the road in those same model years? I think itís a small number. Because it affects you, me, and our friends here on the forum personally, itís a big issue for us, but it's probably a small issue for Airstream Corporation, and it will eventually bubble to the top as they address items of higher priority.

What I have observed from my 10-month association with this forum is that we are tremendously supportive, and welcoming of anyone who owns any Airstream product. We are a wealth of information and help for anyone on any issue thatís related to operating, maintaining, and traveling with their trailers, motor homes, and tow vehicles. And, we have friendly, neighborly chats about other topics like how hot is it where you are, or the latest joke we heard. All that is what is great about being a member here. I am very glad that I found the forum for all those reasons, and look forward to meeting you and more of our active members one day.

We tend however, to blow things out of proportion when something goes even a little bit wrong, and I think that's detrimental to promoting Airstream ownership, and for some of us, encouraging WBCCI membership. Examples of this in my opinion are the corrosion issues thread, the model year quality threads, the thread that started out as KOAs Stink and was later renamed, the thread that exploded when the NEU had its issues getting into the International, and some of other WBCCI threads to name a few. I'm just as responsible as anyone else because I posted to most of those threads too.

I just had a look at the Portal and there are nearly four times as many guests on the forum as there are members right now. You can see that at almost any time of the day. We want to draw people into the Airstream owners club, not push them away. When I see a post like lwood's post #116 above, I get worried. lwood joined the forum over a year ago and never posted until a few days ago (1 post), but what about the others lurking out there right now? Maybe they are contemplating purchasing an Airstream, or joining the WBCCI. What opinion will they have after reading some of our overly negative information?

Let's help people become proud, happy, and active Airstream owners and encourage active membership in the WBCCI (if that be your pleasure) to make it what we want it to be. I'm not saying we need to look at everything through rose colored glasses, but the cup is half full more often than it is half empty.

FWIW,

Randy
I am the lwood mentioned in paragraph 8 above. I am the type of person who reads the owner's manual before trying to use a product. I am thankful that this forum is available to me to use as an owner's manual. Even with all of the complaints I read about, I will still become an Airstream customer. It's the American icon/design thing that keeps me connected. When the time comes to make a purchase, I will be fully educated and comfortable with my decision. I do think you are correct in saying that a lot of people will make their decision based on what they read here.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:22 PM   #135
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Hi lwood, and thanks for hanging in here with us. Glad you are still contemplating an Airstream purchase.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Hoke

A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a cash advance
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:50 PM   #136
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
redmond , Oregon
was checking the plastic rock guards over the front windows. the rubber retainer won't go into the corners so I have these rubbers hanging out at the corners of the frame. I also noted the plastic has numerous cracks at the bends like the plastic was forced in the bending process. I haven't yet read all the entries so don't know if this is a repeat. we have a 27 fb se safari. we have the three guards only the curved ones are cracked
Old 06-18-2008, 08:30 AM   #137
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
rio rico , Arizona
Well, haven't posted for awhile....Have lived full-time in our 25' Safari since last August while building new digs here in Southern AZ. The charger-power supply unit failed last Sept and was replaced without any problems. Laying in bed one nite, I noticed the radio speakers grills were not square to the cabinetry. No biggee, but why can't they get small things aligned. More disturbing (to me, anyway) was the center sheet of interior aluminum...runs the full length of the ceiling...was obviously cut by hand..and not very well!!! Both ends of the piece have wavy, ragged edges...not very cool. These end cuts should have been done on a shear!!! Have a few missing interior rivits. The piano hinge on the bathroom door expands beyond belief in the AZ heat...enough so that it buckles away from the door about 1/2" between screws. Maybe I'll just rescrew it.
Gotta' go check on my worker bees....
Regards, Jeff
Equal-i-zer hitch
"Home is where the ART is"
claybags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:19 AM   #138
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
It has been a full year since we picked up our new 2007 30í Classic. It was towed about 9,000 miles, and overall, we have been very pleased with the unit. Here is a list of comments and issues for those interested:

Comments
The hydraulic disc brakes are amazing.
We have not seen any filiform corrosion on body panels (knock on wood), only on wheels.
Tows very nice with Hensley hitch.
Longest trip was 7 weeks. Was extremely comfortable and never felt cramped with 2 people and large dog.
Stay at state parks a lot. We never had a problem finding sites long enough. I was surprised how short of site I could fit into with a 30í trailer. Parking the rig like a ďTĒ allowed us to use sites less than 40í deep.
Water pump sure makes a lot of noise.

Issues and Solutions
Issue: Filiform corrosion on wheels, but fortunately none on body.
Solution: nothing yet
-------------
Issue: Water leaked out on floor from under wood base below shower door.
Solution: I removed shower door, and proceeded to caulk everywhere that looked suspicious.
-------------
Issue: Small stone or something causing bump in bathroom floor.
Solution: Jackson Center fixed by removing and reinstalling bathroom flooring.
-------------
Issue: Stained curtain.
Solution: Jackson Center replaced curtain.
-------------
Issue: Water heater would not operate on electric.
Solution: Jackson Center found wiring problem and fixed it.
-------------
Issue: All 3 kitchen drawers had their roller guide anchors come loose in the back. I admit we had the drawers weighted. We had silverware in one, and 4 bottles of wine in another. Even before the anchors broke, the drawers stuck a lot, and were awkward to open and close.

Solution: Jackson Center remounted all the roller guides, and put some extra screws in this time. The drawers were still not smoothly opening and closing though. Jackson Center said that was as good as they could do. When I got home, I looked at the drawers and found the sides not parallel, hence the roller brackets were not parallel. So, I shimmed the roller brackets on the drawers so they were also parallel and this fixed the problem. They work very smooth now.

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 08-02-2008, 06:06 PM   #139
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Sammamish , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
jim-- it's my understanding the reason the propane detector remains on is that unless it is it will become inoperative due to foreign materal collecting on it's sensor. That said, I have found that left connected it will completely discharge a single group 24 battery in about 30 days. Also I have disconnected mine in the last 2 trailers when parking for extended periods of time with no aparent problems.---pieman
Hi-
I know this an older thread but just in case...I was wondering how you would disconnect the sensor. You see, we just realized that or LP detector was never working...bad fuse. Long story but, as we were about to drive off the lot when we first picked up our A/S we noticed none of the lights were working...bad fuse. No one noticed the LP detector wasn't working until a year and half later. Anyway, we have yet to stored it for the winter with a working LP detector. I thought I'd better find out what you are talking about.

Thanks!
a pug, a chug, and a chi
NWStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:41 PM   #140
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Sammamish , Washington
Sub-Woofer Buzzing

I read in an earlier reply to this Thread about the sub-woofer buzzing or humming. Mine was driving me nuts so, I disconnected it. Does anyone know if this is a common problem or is it just happening to a "lucky" few of us?

Thanks!

PS: Thanks for all the great info. I have a 2007 25' FB LS and after reading through all the reply's I realized that a few minor issues I have found seem to have happened to a few of you. Here they are:

1.) Single leg Table support= after lowering it once, I'm afraid to ever lower it again for fear of it breaking.
2.) Rust on the Galley Sink.
3.) Leaking Shower.
4.) Fantastic Fan - unable to use manual knob. Only will work on automatic.
5.) Dark line about 1 1/2 inch wide by 24 inches long on the carpet against the wall will the emergency exit window. Not sure why...hopefully not a leak. Has anyone else seen this?
6.) Shower drains slowly.
7.) Sometimes in switching from AC to propane the "check" light on the Refrigerator comes on and the propane won't work to keep it cold. Anyone know why?
8.) Bathroom Wallpaper border is coming off.
9.) The big window behind the sofa was cut too big so there is a good size gap in the interior. I just noticed it when I moved the curtain away. Pretty ugly
And number 10.) The Sub-woofer buzzing!

In reading, I learned about the corrosion problem and missing rivets. We park our A/S off-site. Next time I see her...I'll check it out!

a pug, a chug, and a chi
NWStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote