Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2005, 12:51 PM   #1
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Post 2006 model year quality.....

Here we are again, near the beginning of the next model year, 2006. If anyone picks up a 2006, please post any of the good, bad or ugly that you may find.

It is important that you provide the build month and year. You can find that info on the streetside front of your coach on a little metal plate that is riveted to the outside shell. On that plate you will also find your GVWR and serial number. All we need off that plate is the month/year of manufacture.

Remember, this thread is ONLY for units that are titled as a 2006.

If you have a 2004 comment to share, please post it here:

http://www.airforums.com/foru...95627#post95627

If you have a 2005 comment to share, please post it here:

http://www.airforums.com/foru...95627#post95627

Hopefully we can continue track the quality improvements, identify trends and continue to share the information.

Thanks in advance for your participation.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 04:03 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Just thought I'd unearth this thread to see if there are any folks out there with some feedback on a titled 2006 Airstream....anyone...anyone....
Old 06-23-2005, 05:15 PM   #3

No reviews yet, but my wife and I are ordering a 2006 Safari 25 FB with the LS & new SE packages next week. This will be our first RV, we're moving up from car camping and we're excited. I have E shopped various dealerships for the last two months and wound up with what seem to be deep discounts below MSRP.
I do have a question for the veterans. The FB model does not have a seperate microwave. There is a stove drop in with a convection/microwave oven as an available option. Neither of us have any experience with a convection oven but we use a microwave fairly often for the usual things. Any thoughts on this? Little off the 2206 review topic but I promise one in about 8 or 9 weeks.
Alan in SLO
alanvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 07:48 PM   #4
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
We have a convection oven and my wife likes it. We plan on purchasing a 2006 30' Bunk Safari. It does not have a built-in microwave either so we plan on ordering the micro/convection. My wife actually does plan on using the oven as well as the microwave. She plans to make biscuits, quick-breads, cassaroles, etc. Knowing her, she'll also bake bread in it, too.
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 01:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Eric, I would start a 2007 thread but I'm sure the moderators would claim this territory is yours!

Visited a dealer this morning and they couldn't even figure out if the Safari 25' FB came in Special Edition. (comment deleted before I even typed it!) Interesting news is that the entry door has been switched to front hinges from now on. I saw a newly-delivered 'sold' 2005 25' FB LS that has this change.

I looked at a rear hinged 2005 25' FB and the mechanism to keep the door from running into the awning strut needed to be operated manually -- nothing to keep the door from swinging -- even into the awning at up position! This manual hook fits into a bracket on the door only inches from the hinge -- not very good mechanical advantage and the bracket rivets were already worked a little loose.

Anybody know if the Vista-Views are over the front bedroom area or back in the living space? Colonial Airstream in New Jersey looks like it may be getting a Safari 25 FB SE delivered next week -- the site's reference is confusing, calling it both a SS and a FB. Colonial does a very good job with photo views and I can't wait for pictures!!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 06:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanvol
The FB model does not have a seperate microwave. There is a stove drop in with a convection/microwave oven as an available option. Neither of us have any experience with a convection oven but we use a microwave fairly often for the usual things. Any thoughts on this? Little off the 2206 review topic but I promise one in about 8 or 9 weeks.
Alan in SLO
We have the combo convection/microwave oven in our '05 and we think it is works very well.

I see that on the '06 models that there is now a 600 watt inverter, so that you can run the LCD TV on batteries. Darn, I wish we had that.
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 09:13 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Where have you seen this info, and is the inverter included with the 19' Bambi?
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 12:08 PM   #8

Canoe,

The Vista View windows for the 25'FB/SE come installed in the rear around the dinette. The dealer that we have purchased from did not know, so I called the factory to confirm. For an additional $ 1050.00 +/- they will add Vista Views to the front also. Let there be light!!
Alan in SLO
alanvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 09:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanvol
The Vista View windows for the 25'FB/SE come installed in the rear around the dinette. The dealer that we have purchased from did not know, so I called the factory to confirm.
Thanks Alan -- good job there! That's the right place for the Vista Views. I'm hooked...

I've read it on these forums that Airstream wouldn't get away from the suicide door on front entry trailers because of the awning arm. It's nice they re-thought this issue and applied the same logic to the rear entry FB trailer and are moving the hinge to the front edge of the door.

Don't want to trouble 2005 owners but the door had to be parked at 90 degrees to the trailer body with the described hook and bracket -- believe it would be troubling even in a light breeze! The now-revised door does latch forward along the body in a mirror image of any other Airstream.

I heard from the nearby dealer again today and they said the Special Edition package will soon be expanded to the 28' Safari and will become a constant offering in the line. (Special Edition = CCD-like: Aluminum interior skin, Airstream Vista-view & Wraparound windows, Brushed aluminum blinds, Decor lighting. The windows hinge from the top and allow a much better air circulation through the trailer.)

We're off to check a different dealer Saturday (poor 'Beluga' the Argosy... not room enough for two) -- I'll be contributing again to this thread!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 07-06-2005, 09:56 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Looking at an 06 Bambi CCD in the showroom a few days ago (sorry, no date of production). It was missing several rivets from the roof sections. The cabinets were starting to delaminate in the head on the toilet pedestal. Also, I noticed the light switch next to the stove was standing off the wall with a color matched panel of trim depth. I had never noticed such a stand off in the 05 I was looking at. Upon closer inspection from the closet, they had cut the hole for the switch way too big and crooked, and the stand off was covering the hole! Add in the burned out lights in the overhead fixtures and the patio light, and I was immediately turned off. I'm sure if I kept looking, I would have found more.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 10:01 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
I have a '06 28' Safari LS and...

... have had not major issues so far (Cross fingers). Built 6/05, I just picked it up this past saturday from an AWSOME dealer in Arkansas. {Plug}

Compared to my 2005 19' CCD, this is far better. The only issues I have had are as follows:
  1. supply line feeding toilet was loose. Caused minor puddle on floor, fixed within 15 min and no more leak.
  2. driain pipe fitting was loose under kitchen sink. Tightened fitting and all is well now.
  3. Curbside amber clearance light has some gasket failure, condensation in light, part ordered.
  4. step light has some gasket failure, condensation in light, part ordered.
  5. Refridgerator does not want to cool past 45 deg. Not fixed yet... still playing around with the thermostat adjustment on the "Fin" in back as well as the controls up front to see if I am missing something. This may be the only issue that needs to go to a dealer.
By far, a much smaller puch list than on the '05 that I traded it it for.

Anyone else chime in on their '06
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 04:31 PM   #12
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Anyone else have any data to share on a 2006?
Old 08-27-2005, 05:18 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2006 Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Maybe in a couple weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
I pick my 25' FB SE on the 6th of Sept. I'll be sure to check back here with any issues.

Jim
jimlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 06:58 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
jimlegs -- We do the same on the 8th. Sorry, first thing I do is not report to the Forums. We'll be checking it out in either SW Wisconsin or SE Minnesota thru that weekend...

Are you having it delivered or are you going out east?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 08-27-2005, 08:10 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Wink 2005 Model Year Quality Issues

We have a 2005 CCD22 produced June 2005. We’ve enjoyed 2,500 miles and approx forty nights with it. We have had serious issues and benign issues, and some things we just wanted to change. We feel our dealer and Jackson Center have both been very supportive and cooperative in everything we’ve asked for, and expect this to continue. Here is a partial listing of our changes so far:

• at 400 miles replaced brakes on two wheels due to grease seals failure or installation error
  • at 400 miles replaced drum, shoes, and parts on one wheel due to adjustor assembly falling apart inside drum, apparently due to total lack of tension on shoes
  • added rubber switch boots to electric switches on jack post due to water faulting switches after driving through pounding rain on interstate
  • replaced missing rivets interior ceiling
  • replaced pan head sheet metal screw with large rivet to hold bedroom partition to ceiling
  • reattached porch light to housing to obtain reliable ground connection so light would work every time
  • reconnected terminations at antenna outlet to eliminate dead short preventing any signal from roof antenna to either outlet
  • razorblade scraped overspray from exterior of all windows glass surfaces
  • burnished trim edges on counters, drawers, and table to eliminate irritating and very sharp edges
  • removed and replaced wood threshold strip at exterior door so screen door would clear it
  • removed and replaced screen door strike plate so screen door would be easier to open and close – it was just too tight
  • adjusted screen door in opening so it fit to the door stops
  • removed one foot of excessive length from cable on breakaway brake switch
  • added wire pull handles (like drawer pulls) to front top edge of water heater lid so sterilite boxes can sit on water heater lid without sliding to floor when traveling

Again, we love our Dreamstream and would not take anything for it. We cannot imagine having a better travel trailer and cannot wait to take it out on the road again. See you down the road!
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 09:13 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Silvertwinkie-----We just returned from a week in Yellowstone --Ran into a couple with a new 30' classic,<2006> at Fishing Bridge camp ground. I think this was their maiden voyage? They already had several issues--Water leak while running AC . He said it appeared the housing was broken during installation and had been puddyed up---the hot and cold water was reversed to all faucets--many of his clearence lamps were inop. a water leak at front? window--one outside storage door was delivered to the dealer held closed with duct tape. It seems there were others but I can't remember them. I asked if he was on the forumn ,said he had read it many times but had not signed on. I encouraged him to do so but never got his name. I think they were from Laramie Wy. So if you happen to be home "Laramie" drop us a line and let us know what goes with that new classic------Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 09:17 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2006 Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
jimlegs -- We do the same on the 8th. Sorry, first thing I do is not report to the Forums. We'll be checking it out in either SW Wisconsin or SE Minnesota thru that weekend...

Are you having it delivered or are you going out east?
Picking it up. So, I'll be using it on the way home.
jimlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 09:18 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
PS----one other thing on Laramie's 06 classic---He said when they were drilling into the floor up front they drilled through and through the spare tire. It was delivered with it flat. I have a hard time believing the "driller would not have known they did this at the time.
Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 09:16 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Just traded in a 2005 25FB for a 2006 28W (Delivery about Oct 15). Reason: No microwave in the 25 and need a walkaround bed since our 2 Chihuahua's let us sleep with them.

Only had the 25 4 months and overall, quality is about 6 out of 10. In the first 3 trips, refrigerator died, Air Conditioning died, bathroom cold water line leak, TV coax line connected wrong, missing screw in bathroom exhaust screen, running light screws all rusted and one amber sidelight leaks. Fabric quality is poor and couch wrinkles when sat on. We're accustomed to large boats (Viking) and expected the same quality with AS, but not even close. Seems like AS would take a lesson from the marine interior guys.

Sadly, AS quality control seems "out to lunch", but we're gluttons for punishment and are moving up to the 28. Dealer traded for a $4000 loss, but not too bad considering.

Will post on the 2006 when we take delivery.
dms4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 09:28 PM   #20
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
I'm really not trying to sound like an A** by saying this, but dms if you had such a bad experience with the 25, why go with a new 28? What makes you think that the quality will be any better? That's kinda like trading in your Pacer for a Gremlin.....no offense, really, I just don't get it.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote