Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2006, 10:34 PM   #161
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Palm Springs , California
Smile Just Picked Up Our 2006 Safari 25 FB SE

We just took delivery of our 2006 Safari 25 FB SE with the LS package. I must say, after having read these forums for the last few months while we waited for our unit to be delivered, I was fearful of what we would find. We were very pleasantly surprised. The unit was nearly perfect. One halogen light burned out (fixed on the spot) and one rubber window attachment not seating properly (fixed on the spot). Otherwise, the build quality looks excellent. We made a list of all the kinds of problems many others on this thread had and found none. A big sigh of relief. Our dealer let us sleep in the unit overnight on the lot before we had to sign any paperwork and we went over everything with a fine tooth comb. I was loaded for bear, but it turned out our baby is perfect. No complaints. Only smiles.

Perhaps Airstream is taking the QC complaints on this forum seriously.
palmsprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 02:16 AM   #162
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Congratulations, palmsprings, on your new AS! I identify with your experience in reading the forum as I prepare to purchase my first AS. We are lucky in Southern California to have several dealers to choose from. Which one did you choose?

Bill
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:30 AM   #163
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Calgary , Alberta
Talking success story

We spent a couple nights in the pouring rain and snow in Montana last weekend in our brand new CCD Bambi 19'. I went through pretty well every system, tested just about everything, and put the trailer through its paces.

We're very happy to report that this CCD has very little wrong with it. A couple of minor issues that can easily be fixed on our own.

Issues:
1. Poor workmanship on the cutout for the gas range. It was left slightly crooked and unsanded. Easily 'masked' and being that it's under the range it's barely noticeable.

2. Tank monitor does not read the grey tank. I will calibrate and see if that helps.

3. A couple of minor scratches in the interior/exterior skin. Again, easily fixed.

4. The LP tank doesn't fit straight on the frame, more annoying that anything but not a big deal.

All of the windows are tight, floor is un-marked, no leaks of any kind and that was definitely tested last weekend. The stereo rocks!

An especially nice to have feature is the black tank wash port. I used the sewer solution the first night and not the black tank wash. Stuff came out and the sewer solution seemed to clean things out nicely. The last night, I used the black tank wash port in addition to the sewer solution and was amazed at all the stuff that came out (construction materials, and other 'stuff').

We have the overhead bunk installed which gives loads more storage space for clothes etc. My only complaint is that we dont' have an opening window in the sleeping compartment other than the emergency exit, but of course we dont' have sliders to push this one in and out. The second fantastic fan seems to really help the airflow though.

Two things i haven't figured out yet are:

1. What goes into the audio in port (RCA and cig lighter) on the inside of the front overhead cabinet? I tried plugging my ipod and XM into it and the stereo did not pick up anything. Am I missing something? (We have the AV upgrade package)

2. If we were ever to have a failure/malfunction on the electric jack, where to I insert the manual crank?

We should be on another weekend excursion in 2 weeks so we'll shake out a few more bugs. Overall, the quality of our Bambi is first class and we couldn't be happier with it. After reading the QC threads we couldn't help but be nervous about what we would find but were very relieved by how good our unit turned out.

Cheers,
brad.
bradk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 10:31 AM   #164

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradk
2. If we were ever to have a failure/malfunction on the electric jack, where to I insert the manual crank?
Cheers,
brad.
Brad, if yours is like mine, you need to remove the top of the jack head to get to the crank position.......and you need to carefully follow the instructions regarding replacing the head. Do it wrong and you screw up the jack, and that's not fixed under warranty. You should have something in your new trailer paperwork which addresses the care and feeding of the jack.

Personally I don't understand why Airstream can't obtain a product with an access porthole in it. My sob had a plastic cap that I popped off and inserted the manual crank.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 11:59 PM   #165
1 Rivet Member

Boise , Idaho
2006 16" CCD Bambi International

Purchased our Bambi 5/5/06 from Eugene OR AS dealer. After spending the whole day inspecting the unit (after the dealer told us it would only take about 2 hours) with their very helpful service tech, the only major manufacturing issue we identified was the very badly fitting cabinet over the rear bed. There is a 1/4" gap between a portion of the cabinet and the ceiling that the molding strip can not cover. We plan on having the cabinet replaced.

We also had a battery that would not charge which we discovered our second night. It was replaced. The dealer suggested that the battery had been discharged to an extent that it would not accept a charge from the system. I still wonder.

Since then we've traveled about 700 miles and spent seven nights in the unit. While I've not found any other manufacturing failings there are fit and finish issues from over spray to way to much sealer that can be found if you look around. While I hoped for better fit and finish the issues are not obvious and do not detract from our enjoyment.
gorrissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 09:14 AM   #166
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Hi Folks!

I've posted before about a few of the issues with my 19CCD. I won't get into the PDI that was not done when I picked it up and other dealer related problems, but I must say that the factory has been very responsive to my requests for warranty parts. At first, they told me to take it back to the dealer, but I convinced them that 1. the dealer is a 350 mile round trip for me, 2. I have more RV service qualifications than any tech at the dealership and the one they probably liked the most, 3. I won't be charging them for the warranty labor (although I probably should!).

I consider myself a reasonable perfectionist, having been a goldsmith for 30 years making high-end custom jewelry pieces. I try not to translate these feelings to my CCD but everywhere I look I would have done things differently/better as far as fit and finish issues or materials used. I can't really fault the factory although I could as some folks here have done.

I bought this unit after looking hard at lots of A/S trailers and realizing that most of the ones I looked at had 'issues' to my eye. I figured that I would eventually correct what I didn't like and get the unit to be totally satisfactory for me.

For example, I have replaced the Fantastic fan with a new Maxx Fan unit that can be left open in the rain. I have replaced the stock Parrallax converter with a new WFCO unit. I have changed out the 6 gal. water heater for a RV-500 tankless on-demand unit (required sheet metal work). I am replacing the water pump with a high flow variable speed unit. Basically, I'm adding the best components that I can find for my own comfort and enjoyment even though the ones that Airstream provided work perfectly well!

Being in the RV business lets me have knowledge of and access to all of the best parts, and those are what I want for my own unit. When I eventually sell this unit and get my vintage trailer that I can TOTALLY re-build as I want, someone will get a great unit with the best of everything!

I can't really blame the factory for not providing these parts as they are in business to turn a profit and they are part of a much larger oranization (Thor), But they should, as ALL RV manufacturers should, get it right on the line beore the units are sent out to the dealers so the end user does not have to rectify the problems that should not be there in the first place!!

Ill get off my soap box now. Thanks for listening!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 10:42 AM   #167
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Hi Folks!

I've posted before about a few of the issues with my 19CCD. I won't get into the PDI that was not done when I picked it up and other dealer related problems, but I must say that the factory has been very responsive to my requests for warranty parts. At first, they told me to take it back to the dealer, but I convinced them that 1. the dealer is a 350 mile round trip for me, 2. I have more RV service qualifications than any tech at the dealership and the one they probably liked the most, 3. I won't be charging them for the warranty labor (although I probably should!).

I consider myself a reasonable perfectionist, having been a goldsmith for 30 years making high-end custom jewelry pieces. I try not to translate these feelings to my CCD but everywhere I look I would have done things differently/better as far as fit and finish issues or materials used. I can't really fault the factory although I could as some folks here have done.

I bought this unit after looking hard at lots of A/S trailers and realizing that most of the ones I looked at had 'issues' to my eye. I figured that I would eventually correct what I didn't like and get the unit to be totally satisfactory for me.

For example, I have replaced the Fantastic fan with a new Maxx Fan unit that can be left open in the rain. I have replaced the stock Parrallax converter with a new WFCO unit. I have changed out the 6 gal. water heater for a RV-500 tankless on-demand unit (required sheet metal work). I am replacing the water pump with a high flow variable speed unit. Basically, I'm adding the best components that I can find for my own comfort and enjoyment even though the ones that Airstream provided work perfectly well!

Being in the RV business lets me have knowledge of and access to all of the best parts, and those are what I want for my own unit. When I eventually sell this unit and get my vintage trailer that I can TOTALLY re-build as I want, someone will get a great unit with the best of everything!

I can't really blame the factory for not providing these parts as they are in business to turn a profit and they are part of a much larger oranization (Thor), But they should, as ALL RV manufacturers should, get it right on the line beore the units are sent out to the dealers so the end user does not have to rectify the problems that should not be there in the first place!!

Ill get off my soap box now. Thanks for listening!
Lew -

Stay on that soap box. You'll get my vote!!!! I just wish I had enough Thor stock to elect you to their Board of Directors.

I agree with you entirely that the factory (and their management) need to get it right before putting it out the door. NO company will be successful over the long run by putting incomplete units out the door, as Airstream routinely does, or letting its dealers get away with not completing the PDI (my dealer, who's no longer in business, didn't do a complete PDI either).

However, I believe that Airstream is not capitalizing on its reputation (which is at least partially ill-founded, in my opinion) as being a top quality trailer. Person's, like us, who buy an Airstream are in the market to buy top quality components. When you're often going to be spending upwards of $40,000 or even $80,000 for a travel trailer, you're not going to be put off by spending a few extra dollars if you could get some of these best quality componenets installed in it.

I've be dreaming of having Maxx Fans installed in my trailer! And those outdated and uncomfortable Zip Dee chairs should go into Wally's museum instead of new trailers, IMO. I even paid an additional $7,000 for the Limited upgrade option, thinking that I'd be getting brass fixtures in the bathroom, as advertised. And, what did I get? A combination of cheap, brass- colored plastic fixtures, and a chrome colored shower controller.

John
Old 05-22-2006, 09:01 PM   #168
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I just wanted to point out a fix that one of our forum members put together to address an issue that some Airstreamers have seen. It has to do with the running lights collecting water. I had a number that would fog up when I would wash the Airstream. Lewster came up with a kit that includes a stainless screw and a rubber type "O" ring that sealed the light perfectly.

Additionally, some streamers also reported that the screws they had for the running lights were rusting. Though I didn't have that issue, I doubt I will see it in the future as the kits screws are stainless.

Anyone interested in this fix, contact Lewster. I can 100% recommend this kit and Lewster. I blinked and the mail carrier had a package for me.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:08 PM   #169
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Getting ours tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenHigher
The air conditioner had a leak in the internal drip condensation pan, which was promptly fixed by the dealer.
OpenHigher,
How did you find this? We will definitely be testing the AC out tomorrow in Tucson. We're also taking delivery of a 28' SE/LS.
Thanks,
K & L
Old 05-23-2006, 10:28 PM   #170
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Day 1

We din't find anything that wasn't working and had nothing but smiles after the walk through. After the 100 mile trip from the dealers to the storage area we found one rivet popped out on the bed and the kitchen sink drain pipes were loose and leaked a little. We saved the rivet and tightened the pipe connections. In the annoying catagory the pump seems like it runs a lot (may need to bleed air) and the shower is dripping. One thing I'm looking to find out is if we have steel or aluminum wheels on the Safari SE/LS. Different torque spec. I'm thinking they're aluminum but I'm massively burnt out at the moment. Did I say that it is awesome! The hydraulic lift on the bed totally surprised us. I think I may need to adjust the Hensley a bit too. We're up to the Grand Canyon for the maiden voyage Friday.
Cheers,
K & L
Old 05-24-2006, 09:30 AM   #171
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
March 2006 manufacture date.

Although we have not taken a trip, we have tested everything more than once and no problems so far. Minor issues are moisture in the curbside amber running light (on lower side), had to add some weatherstrip around the storage access doors to get a good seal and very minor water leak on rear window (where glass mounts to rubber). The funny thing was the factory LEFT OFF the nameplate on the top front of the trailer. Guess the QC guy was on break when ours came through.
Roadtoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 09:59 PM   #172
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
days 2 - 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback
We din't find anything that wasn't working... the shower is dripping. One thing I'm looking to find out is if we have steel or aluminum wheels on the Safari SE/LS. Different torque spec. I'm thinking they're aluminum... The hydraulic lift on the bed totally surprised us. I think I may need to adjust the Hensley a bit too...
Well, well, well (as RL used to say).

What a difference a couple days make. Airstream tech support confirmed that the wheels are aluminum and the dripping shower is a feature. The first time we lifted the bed the struts stuck open and I had to disconnect them to close the bed. I know I can push 95 lbs. They're stuck. The thing that bugs me the most is the front storage bin over the dinette has a screw that is essentially stripped and is not fully fastened to the ceiling/rame. Our CCDs never had that problem. And the Hensley sway struts were both loose but that is to be expected when brand new. Many fun little tasks before we head north tomorow.

KL
Old 05-26-2006, 06:50 AM   #173
3 Rivet Member

2006 Safari SE
Los Alamitos , California
Silverback: Our A/C after the initial purchase not because we turned on the A/C, but because it rained 2 to 3 inches in So. Cal over a 48 hour period in So. Cal this past winter. Anyway, it just started dripping thru the A/C to the floor, and the actual cause, the condensation pan, was confirmed by the dealer as the cause. Replaced, and did not leak in the last wicked storm.

Best, Robert
OpenHigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:28 PM   #174
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
The problems that have surfaced have been minimal.We ordered our unit in March and signed the paperwork in July. We have used it three times. Here is a list of the problems so farMost already corrected by dealer)
-Faulty water pump
-Latch on 1 cabinet door faulty
-refridge drain hose not connected(leaked water under fridge and onto floor)
-Carpet on edging in the bedroom not attached completely
-Several screens not sealed in place
-no plate behind TV in bedroom
-linen closet shelves missing
fr8tshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 04:15 PM   #175

2006 31' Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
We just purchased a 31' 2006 in September, have you had any problems with your air conditioner/heat pump? We can't get the temp below 80 degrees and that's not in the back bedroom! It's about 90 in there. The days we tried were between 97 and 106 -- never had the trouble with our Artic Fox. It froze you out. Now that you've had yours for about a year how cool are you in the hot areas?
Patti & Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 07:16 PM   #176
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti & Paul
We just purchased a 31' 2006 in September, have you had any problems with your air conditioner/heat pump? We can't get the temp below 80 degrees and that's not in the back bedroom! It's about 90 in there. The days we tried were between 97 and 106 -- never had the trouble with our Artic Fox. It froze you out. Now that you've had yours for about a year how cool are you in the hot areas?
What sized air conditioner do you have? We have the 15000 btu in our 30' and it barely keeps up with keeping us cool when the temperature gets into the 90's. Of course we also camp in the direct sun (in Montana) which also makes the outer shell of our trailer a lot hotter that the temperature in the shade.

A bigger problem that we have with our heat pump is that it is only designed to heat down to something like 38 degrees, and the furnace doesn't automatically kick on until something like 28 degrees. You better not go to bed on a cold night with the heat pump on, or you'll freeze your rear end off. I don't know why the system isn't designed to automatically kick over to the furnace when the heat pump shuts down (actually it keeps blowing cold air below 38 degrees), but it doesn't. Seems rather poorly designed to me.

John
Old 10-19-2006, 08:26 PM   #177

2006 31' Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Thanks for replying . . . Ours is the 15,000 BTU Dometic Duotherm heat pump. We are seriously considering changing it out for a Coleman and not even getting the heat pump.
Patti & Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:50 PM   #178
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
McKinney , Texas
We picked up our 2007 27' FB safari LS SE and a week later went to Carlsbad New Mexico for our first trip. Camper 4 night and purposely changed locations each night to get the set-up and tear down figured out. We had zero problems. Everything worked perfect right out of the box. We returned home after approx 1200 miles and I installed a screen over the furnace exhaust and HW heater exhaust. Then installed a drain valve on the HW heater where the plastic plug was to help drain everything out more easily. I know I just cursed myself but I think we are going to name our trailer "easy button". It was just so easy to use and enjoy.
Krazyjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 09:06 PM   #179
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Congratulations on your successful "maiden voyage" Johnny. We're awaiting delivery of a 2007 25' SE FB and hope to have a similar experience...Changing sites for a real shakedown is a great idea. Thanks for the input.
Have fun!
janetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 09:49 PM   #180
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
15K BTU AC usage

We bought the 15K unit for use in AZ weather and immediately found that you can't use auto fan mode when it is above 90 F. For day use only select high fan to ge the most out of the compressor. Off for southern AZ streaming in the morning (lows in the 40s and high might get to 80).
-KL