Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-27-2005, 06:48 AM   #41
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Bob congrats on the new RV. Here a few things I noticed that I wanted to comment about.

The tanks that hang down....it is the same on the 25 SS as well...and you're right, on the humpback dirt/gravel roads, yer gonna have to be careful if the ruts are too low.

The lug nuts, I would strongly recommend that you consider getting a good 1/2" drive torque wrench instead of using a basic wrench. You'll need a 3 to 6" extender to clear the tires and wheel well opening as well. I suggest this based on what I read here and also what I've exp these past 2 years carrying one. I have a Craftsman, but really any good one will do. The reason for this is 2 fold. First, the torque wrench will torque the alum rims correctly to the proper ft/lb. Second, it will help you not overtorque the bolts which can be nearly as bad as not torqued enough, particularly since these are hardened alum rims.
For me, I carry a fully loaded tool box (about 40lbs). So a torque wrench to me is not that much extra. I'd also recommend a toolbox loaded with at least the basics (hammer, screwdrivers, pliers, socket set of metric and SAE, electrical tape, duct tape, band clamps, rubber mallet, needle nose pliers, channel locks, loctite, various small tubes of caulk, mortite, etc) for anyone going on a trip, but the key is that one has to know how to use the tools though, which can be one downside to the whole tool thing.

I'm glad that Jack was able to post the Micropulse files elsewhere since unforseen issues have come up in my personal life that required attention more than getting the server back up. At this point, it will come back, just not too sure when.

Have fun with the new RV Bob and keep us posted on how your unit holds up. I am currently working on getting a 2006 25' SS LS SE (man that's a mouthfull). If the numbers work out right, I'll post here what I find if I get the new coach.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 05:30 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Way to go Eric! I know John Irwin has stated you are going to out-trade him. Yes, I have a torque wrench like that -- and certainly forgot to take it on our shakedown trip. Thanks for the reminder. A good post overall!

I just returned from showing the trailer to an old-travelin' relative and remembered a few other points:
1. As other folks have noted with new units, the Aquajet water pump is noisy to begin with and then not very well isolated from the floor (which serves as a sounding board). It's like an alarm clock if one person is up earlier than the other. Stay tuned -- I've got a couple Pahaska-type ideas... Any body else had any real successful solutions?
2. When you want privacy and close the room dividers, the catches are pretty worthless. I'm going to let the plastic relax a bit more but this will be a pretty simple modification for next summer.
3. And... the exit door head bumper pad is put on about 1/2" higher at one end than another. You might miss it if both doors are open but it is real obvious if the screen door is closed. It has sagged away from the interior wall in the middle just slightly and looks like it's only put on with Vulkem. Still, I might leave it for the dealer when I take it back for the fix-all.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 06:13 PM   #43
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Yea, John has me by one, but he's actually upgraded from 22 to 25 to 28....me I love the 25' floorplan and have only gone from 19 to 25 and (maybe) another 25.

Glad to hear that someone else has the mechanical bug as I do. It's a blessing and a curse, but I tend to like to think of it as a blessing.

Enjoy your new coach....she is no doubt a beaut and one that years from now, folks will say, hey look, there are one of those FB units with the non-suicide door and with the front and back panoramic windows........
Old 10-11-2005, 03:10 PM   #44
1 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Flint , Texas
Traded our 05 16' Bambi CCD for 06 22' CCD

Took delivery of our 06 22' CCD. Has all the options. We were brave and hitched-up at the dealer in Albuquerque and embarked on our vacation. So far we have been gone for 3 weeks. Here are the problems we've encountered.

- Shower leaks. Runs out water onto the ground. I have caulked it. Still leaks.
- Outside porch lamp bulb burned out.

Other than that. Everything else is fine. The fit and finish is of much higher quality than our 05 CCD. We'll be heading home in a couple of days. (That's what we said last week!)
cowcreek7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 05:28 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Pieman trades again!!!!!

You won't believe this but we did it again!!! After having loads of problems with our 04 Bambi 16/CCD we had traded for our 25' Classic. It was and is nearly letter perfect. You would think after this we would be satisfied and not press our luck BUT!!!!!!! Friday we ordered a 30" Classic and making another trade. A summer without a dinnette was our reason< you gotta have one>. If this one is anywhere near as good as this last one we will be happy. If this thread is still going when we take delivery we'll post the results. ------- Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 06:35 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Pieman,

At this rate, you should be buying the 64 foot model by 2007. Let me know what you will be using for a TV.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 07:16 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger
Pieman,

At this rate, you should be buying the 64 foot model by 2007. Let me know what you will be using for a TV.
At least for the time being we will use our Nissan Titan. Obviously I will have to be cautious about total weight . Based on how the Titan pulls the 25' Classic I have no doubt it will handle it. I know this will bring a response from Silvertwinkie. He always jumps at the opportunity to trash Titans but that's ok.----Pieman
Old 10-11-2005, 08:16 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
Friday we ordered a 30" Classic and making another trade. A summer without a dinnette was our reason< you gotta have one>. If this one is anywhere near as good as this last one we will be happy. If this thread is still going when we take delivery we'll post the results. ------- Pieman
I too went from a 25' to the 30' and it is so sweet! I love the dinette and always eat at the table. Also serves as much needed counter space. Love this floorplan. Congrats.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 08:30 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Mike, Mike, Mike -- Eric 'Silvertwinkie' has had a bit of fun at the expense of the American-made Titan. He has demurred when I have provided more factual (but critical) comments. You are correct to be aware of need to move up on TV (as will I..). Anything but the most basic equipped King Cab version has very limited ability to carry a 25-footer's tongue weight.

Fuhged-about-it as far as re-gifting that travelling fruitcake to relations during your Airstream adventures -- as long as you have the Titan that is...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 10-14-2005, 08:28 AM   #50
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I agree, the dinette is a must have (at least for some). I don't think I could have an RV without one. It's just such a functional part of the RV.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:38 AM   #51

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
I agree, the dinette is a must have (at least for some). I don't think I could have an RV without one. It's just such a functional part of the RV.
We tried to go without (when we bought the '01 Safari), but after having two previous SOB's with one, we knew that our next A/S would have one. It became one of the major reasons for upgrading.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 05:13 PM   #52
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
I know this will bring a response from Silvertwinkie. He always jumps at the opportunity to trash Titans but that's ok.----Pieman
I was going to leave well enough alone with this one, until I read this on CNN today.... just thought that I'd share it... keep in mind, it's not me that wrote this and I am not connected to it in any way whatsoever:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/AUTOS/10/26/...ble/index.html

Feel free to draw your own conclusions particularly when looking at how the big 3 stacked up in the consumer rated comparision when you go to the bottom once you click on the Titan or Armada.

Off topic, I also go a big kick out of those Mitsubishi commercials I saw during the World Series with the Titan loosing fluid....not that I thought the Mitsubishi was actually all that fierce either.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:56 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Ah, Eric, we hardly knew ye... *

Probably as the original Titan owner on ASForums (mid-December '03) I have had minimal problems. There is the disk brake "judder" problem -- seems like a disk warping issue but I'm not sure. I have never seen this. There is a semi-recall as it applies to Titans with this problem. They've only extended the warranty on the brake system. I'm not a jackrabbit driver so maybe haven't put enough aggression into my brake pedals. As a long-time CR subscriber (and auto survey responder) I can say that one significant anomaly like this can sway the overall rating for quite some time to come.

The Titan's ride isn't as soft as the very good Tundra (thank you Barking Spider for your feedback on that TV!) but is a lot more pleasing than most anything else out there. What do you have to step up to to get a 'Big 3' offering with side airbags? (I'm shopping here -- the Titan is not really up to pulling my 25'11" Safari)

Yah Eric, wouldn't you dampen your nest if you saw a .... did you say Mitsubishi? Now I am amused....

*Okay, stolen from the post-JFK themed "Johnny, We hardly knew ye."

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 10-27-2005, 07:03 PM   #54
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Don't know about the pickups, but my '04 Burb has side Airbags....but I'll warn ya, if the Titan got bad mileage, the Burb may make it look like a Hybrid.

I have seen 13mpg towing our Safari loaded, and as the truck ages a bit, it now has 5000 miles on it, I am getting 12 city, up from 10 city....at $2.70/gal, I'll take all I can.

As for Dodge and Ford, well, all I can say is that it's like Vincent said in Pulp Fiction when he was talking about Royal with cheese and the metric system when asked what about Burger King's burgers, Vince simply says, "I don't know, I didn't go to Burger King".

...and by all means, that Mitusbishi would make me dampen my nest...epecially after I towed a tri-axle Airstream with it.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:01 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
I was going to leave well enough alone with this one, until I read this on CNN today.... just thought that I'd share it... keep in mind, it's not me that wrote this and I am not connected to it in any way whatsoever:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/AUTOS/10/26/...ble/index.html

Feel free to draw your own conclusions particularly when looking at how the big 3 stacked up in the consumer rated comparision when you go to the bottom once you click on the Titan or Armada.

Off topic, I also go a big kick out of those Mitsubishi commercials I saw during the World Series with the Titan loosing fluid....not that I thought the Mitsubishi was actually all that fierce either.

I knew you couldn't leave it alone!!!! Pieman
Old 10-27-2005, 09:28 PM   #56
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Classic
Floyds Knobs , Indiana
Thumbs up Titan pulling 25 Classic update

Just thought I would update my Titan Experience.
6000 miles in 4 months including one trip to Rocky Mountain NP 12K level.
Canyon Lands and Arches in 114 degree weather with climbs to 8.5K level.
And two lessor pulls in the Great Smokies .
Getting 11mpg running at 65mph.
Engine RPM at 65mph is 1900rpm in 4th gear pretty impressive.
Stable, good acceleration, quite.
My biggest concern that when its time to get a new Truck they won't be making this model in the color that I like.

Pappy
Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 10:12 PM   #57
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
I knew you couldn't leave it alone!!!! Pieman
Well, I would have if CNN didn't have that link.....

Pappy, I'm happy for you and hope they have your color when it comes time to replace it.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:06 PM   #58
3 Rivet Member

2006 Safari SE
Los Alamitos , California
Jcanavera/Silver Ranger/ and Redeagle313:

Thank you all for your replies. We will inquire about an overnight stay prior to signing final delivery papers and acceptance. If they don't have overnight facilities, be assured we will stay there for hours, taking a shower etc.

Redeagle313: Yes, we did order the 600 watt inverter, it was 642.00 and just could not see why not. Get up, make coffee, plug in the computer, and watch for adverse weather.

Am making a list as I read through the forum: torque wrench, scissor style chocks for each wheel, and so on.

Thanks every one

Robert and Sherry
OpenHigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 01:26 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Well, I would have if CNN didn't have that link.....

Pappy, I'm happy for you and hope they have your color when it comes time to replace it.
Pappy???????????? You're getting close to crossing that line of friendly jabbing to insulting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pieman
Old 10-28-2005, 02:55 PM   #60
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy
Just thought I would update my Titan Experience.
6000 miles in 4 months including one trip to Rocky Mountain NP 12K level.
Canyon Lands and Arches in 114 degree weather with climbs to 8.5K level.
And two lessor pulls in the Great Smokies .
Getting 11mpg running at 65mph.
Engine RPM at 65mph is 1900rpm in 4th gear pretty impressive.
Stable, good acceleration, quite.
My biggest concern that when its time to get a new Truck they won't be making this model in the color that I like.

Pappy
I was actually referring to Pappy's biggest concern....see last line of quote.