Old 05-22-2006, 11:08 PM   #169
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Sierra Vista , United States
Getting ours tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenHigher
The air conditioner had a leak in the internal drip condensation pan, which was promptly fixed by the dealer.
OpenHigher,
How did you find this? We will definitely be testing the AC out tomorrow in Tucson. We're also taking delivery of a 28' SE/LS.
Thanks,
K & L

Old 05-23-2006, 11:28 PM   #170
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Day 1

We din't find anything that wasn't working and had nothing but smiles after the walk through. After the 100 mile trip from the dealers to the storage area we found one rivet popped out on the bed and the kitchen sink drain pipes were loose and leaked a little. We saved the rivet and tightened the pipe connections. In the annoying catagory the pump seems like it runs a lot (may need to bleed air) and the shower is dripping. One thing I'm looking to find out is if we have steel or aluminum wheels on the Safari SE/LS. Different torque spec. I'm thinking they're aluminum but I'm massively burnt out at the moment. Did I say that it is awesome! The hydraulic lift on the bed totally surprised us. I think I may need to adjust the Hensley a bit too. We're up to the Grand Canyon for the maiden voyage Friday.
Cheers,
K & L

Old 05-24-2006, 10:30 AM   #171
Rivet Master

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Byhalia , Mississippi
March 2006 manufacture date.

Although we have not taken a trip, we have tested everything more than once and no problems so far. Minor issues are moisture in the curbside amber running light (on lower side), had to add some weatherstrip around the storage access doors to get a good seal and very minor water leak on rear window (where glass mounts to rubber). The funny thing was the factory LEFT OFF the nameplate on the top front of the trailer. Guess the QC guy was on break when ours came through.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:59 PM   #172
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
days 2 - 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback
We din't find anything that wasn't working... the shower is dripping. One thing I'm looking to find out is if we have steel or aluminum wheels on the Safari SE/LS. Different torque spec. I'm thinking they're aluminum... The hydraulic lift on the bed totally surprised us. I think I may need to adjust the Hensley a bit too...
Well, well, well (as RL used to say).

What a difference a couple days make. Airstream tech support confirmed that the wheels are aluminum and the dripping shower is a feature. The first time we lifted the bed the struts stuck open and I had to disconnect them to close the bed. I know I can push 95 lbs. They're stuck. The thing that bugs me the most is the front storage bin over the dinette has a screw that is essentially stripped and is not fully fastened to the ceiling/rame. Our CCDs never had that problem. And the Hensley sway struts were both loose but that is to be expected when brand new. Many fun little tasks before we head north tomorow.

KL
Old 05-26-2006, 07:50 AM   #173
3 Rivet Member

2006 Safari SE
Los Alamitos , California
Silverback: Our A/C after the initial purchase not because we turned on the A/C, but because it rained 2 to 3 inches in So. Cal over a 48 hour period in So. Cal this past winter. Anyway, it just started dripping thru the A/C to the floor, and the actual cause, the condensation pan, was confirmed by the dealer as the cause. Replaced, and did not leak in the last wicked storm.

Best, Robert
Old 09-27-2006, 11:28 PM   #174
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
The problems that have surfaced have been minimal.We ordered our unit in March and signed the paperwork in July. We have used it three times. Here is a list of the problems so farMost already corrected by dealer)
-Faulty water pump
-Latch on 1 cabinet door faulty
-refridge drain hose not connected(leaked water under fridge and onto floor)
-Carpet on edging in the bedroom not attached completely
-Several screens not sealed in place
-no plate behind TV in bedroom
-linen closet shelves missing
fr8tshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 05:15 PM   #175

2006 31' Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
We just purchased a 31' 2006 in September, have you had any problems with your air conditioner/heat pump? We can't get the temp below 80 degrees and that's not in the back bedroom! It's about 90 in there. The days we tried were between 97 and 106 -- never had the trouble with our Artic Fox. It froze you out. Now that you've had yours for about a year how cool are you in the hot areas?
Old 10-19-2006, 08:16 PM   #176
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti & Paul
We just purchased a 31' 2006 in September, have you had any problems with your air conditioner/heat pump? We can't get the temp below 80 degrees and that's not in the back bedroom! It's about 90 in there. The days we tried were between 97 and 106 -- never had the trouble with our Artic Fox. It froze you out. Now that you've had yours for about a year how cool are you in the hot areas?
What sized air conditioner do you have? We have the 15000 btu in our 30' and it barely keeps up with keeping us cool when the temperature gets into the 90's. Of course we also camp in the direct sun (in Montana) which also makes the outer shell of our trailer a lot hotter that the temperature in the shade.

A bigger problem that we have with our heat pump is that it is only designed to heat down to something like 38 degrees, and the furnace doesn't automatically kick on until something like 28 degrees. You better not go to bed on a cold night with the heat pump on, or you'll freeze your rear end off. I don't know why the system isn't designed to automatically kick over to the furnace when the heat pump shuts down (actually it keeps blowing cold air below 38 degrees), but it doesn't. Seems rather poorly designed to me.

John
Old 10-19-2006, 09:26 PM   #177

2006 31' Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Thanks for replying . . . Ours is the 15,000 BTU Dometic Duotherm heat pump. We are seriously considering changing it out for a Coleman and not even getting the heat pump.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:50 PM   #178
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
McKinney , Texas
We picked up our 2007 27' FB safari LS SE and a week later went to Carlsbad New Mexico for our first trip. Camper 4 night and purposely changed locations each night to get the set-up and tear down figured out. We had zero problems. Everything worked perfect right out of the box. We returned home after approx 1200 miles and I installed a screen over the furnace exhaust and HW heater exhaust. Then installed a drain valve on the HW heater where the plastic plug was to help drain everything out more easily. I know I just cursed myself but I think we are going to name our trailer "easy button". It was just so easy to use and enjoy.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:06 PM   #179
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Congratulations on your successful "maiden voyage" Johnny. We're awaiting delivery of a 2007 25' SE FB and hope to have a similar experience...Changing sites for a real shakedown is a great idea. Thanks for the input.
Have fun!
Old 10-19-2006, 10:49 PM   #180
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
15K BTU AC usage

We bought the 15K unit for use in AZ weather and immediately found that you can't use auto fan mode when it is above 90 F. For day use only select high fan to ge the most out of the compressor. Off for southern AZ streaming in the morning (lows in the 40s and high might get to 80).
-KL
Old 10-20-2006, 10:05 AM   #181
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I have the 15k unit with the heat pump and CCS (Comfort Control System). It was one of the off menu options I specifically asked for at the time of build. It was funny, when I asked for it, they said it was too big for a 25' unit. I asked, "then why is it an option (in 2004) for the 25' Classic?" They agreed and installed it for something like a $175 to $200 upcharge. One of the best things I did next to a second fantastic fan.

You can ask any of the midwest folks that attend the rallies, you can hang meat in our Airstream. One year it was hot and humid at the rally and my 15k unit, in auto mode, performed IMHO, at or above my expectations. I've had zero issues with it to date. I'm shocked to read the issues folks are having with it. Though I've only really been around the midwest 90 degree zones, with full or partial sun which might be way different than out west......

In heat pump mode, it again worked flawlessly turning on and off as required. In my understanding the heat pump is pretty worthless in general below say 45 or 50 degrees. As a rule of thumb, once it gets a bit below say, 55 degrees, I select the furnace. This so far has served me well.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 10:28 AM   #182

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Just to clarify the thermostat when set to auto mode will only run the fan on high speed when the set point is 10 degreees lower than the inside temperatures. That's pretty useless in hot climes since the low speed on the fan will lose ground in keeping the interior cool. We normally only use the auto mode at night or when we are in moderate or shaded climes.

The other issue about the heat pump is that it can freeze up. We were in 45 degree rainy climate last October and found that the outside condensor developed ice which was not taken care of by the defrost cycle, which is built into the heat pump cycle. I came back one evening and found the unit blowing cold air. I went outside and shined a flash light and the coils outside were solid white. While I use the heat pump as my major source of heat, once it gets to rain and down below 45, I change over to the furnace.

I also upgraded my Classic to the 15K unit. The standard 13.5K unit is undersized for 27' trailers and larger, if you camp in temps approaching the upper 90's and in full sun.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote