Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-22-2006, 01:33 PM   #201
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
jbird, are you saying that you've been talking with the factory or the dealer?
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 04:50 PM   #202
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Classic
Livingston , Terry
Smile 2006 Classic 25' Issues

I recently (one month ago) traded my 04' Bambi Safari in on an 06' Classic.
I towed it back to my base (So. Ala) from the dealer (Bates RV in Tampa).
The rig was delivered to Bates in Feb of 06' but I don't know the build date.
I bought it at the end of December of 06'. I've had/delt with the following
issues:

Rear tail light housing wasn't sealed and caused a leak and stain inside on the wall. I sealed it and removed the stain
Door is so hard to close that the living room overhead light cover pops off due to the 'hard' closing. I've read that it will get eaiser with time to close the door.
The shower is beginning to show signs of a very small leak. Just after getting out of the shower there is a tiny amount of water at the seal of the shower and the floor of the bathroom. I've checked and no water comes out from around the shower enclosure.
The flourscent light over the bed works intermettently

These are small things and after speaking to the Service Mgr at Bates, I am satisfied that they are prepared to correct these issues. Gary, listened and expressed his wishes to fix anything that wasn't working correctly. I'll definately take it back, but will use it more before I do, just to make sure that I've identified all problems.

Overall, I am satisfied with the 'fit & finish' of this unit. All systems work well and it appears to have been put together well.

On Air
Dover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:16 PM   #203
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnewmanedu
I've had/delt with the following
issues:

Door is so hard to close that the living room overhead light cover pops off due to the 'hard' closing. I've read that it will get eaiser with time to close the door.
Ours is an '06 also and our door was hard to close at first and required slamming pretty hard but it has gotten much easier in just a few trips (8).

Quote:

The shower is beginning to show signs of a very small leak. Just after getting out of the shower there is a tiny amount of water at the seal of the shower and the floor of the bathroom. I've checked and no water comes out from around the shower enclosure.
Our shower door is a the type that retracts or rolls up like a window shade into a compartment to the side of the opening. We had a similar situation where the water dripped out when the shower door was retracted instead of running into the shower stall. A small amount of caulk corrected the problem. However, I realize your Classic may have/probably has a different style of door.

Quote:
The flourscent light over the bed works intermettently
This is one we haven't had and may just be a loose wire in the fixture. If there is a dealer closer to you and the other items can be fixed without a trip to Tampa, unless you just want an excuse to go to Tampa, you might try that instead of making a long trip.

Quote:
Overall, I am satisfied with the 'fit & finish' of this unit. All systems work well and it appears to have been put together well.

On Air
We consider ourselves blessed to have the particular unit we have with the minor issues we have had compared to the long list of items from others I have red on this board.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:24 PM   #204
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Door

I would check the piece of wood on the floor at the entrance to the door.There is a possibility that the wood strip is to high and your screen door is hitting it causing it to be harder to close.(That is why when you close it the door seems to stick open about an inch and at that point you have to slam it.)You will see a dark area on the wood toward your left side looking at it.
All it needs is a file to bring it down far enough not to touch the wood it.I had this happen on my previous Airstream and the newer one doesnt do it.
I dont know if you have this type of problem but It may help someone out.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 04:29 PM   #205
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Classic
Livingston , Terry
I recently traded my 04' 19' Safari bambi on an 06' 25' Classic and stated in a previous reply that the area under the shower was leaking. Most distressing for a new rig. Well, it turns out that after closer inspection, it was a lack of sealant and not a plumbing problem. I sealed under the Shub, where it meets the wall board in the front, and yahoo, leak fixed! Whew was I glad. (sealed on the inside of the shower area of course)
Old 02-05-2007, 07:25 AM   #206
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
I sealed under the Shub, where it meets the wall board in the front, and yahoo, leak fixed! Whew was I glad. (sealed on the inside of the shower area of course)
Isn't it amazing how much the perceived quality of a new Airstream could be enhanced by just a nickel's worth of caulk at the factory!
WBCCI# 4821
Old 02-05-2007, 09:38 AM   #207
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
Isn't it amazing how much the perceived quality of a new Airstream could be enhanced by just a nickel's worth of caulk at the factory!
Ironically, if I recall correctly, this single issue has traversed many build years too........
Old 02-05-2007, 09:53 AM   #208
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Martin , Georgia
Same problem here. The factory should get feedback from dealers for warranty repairs. Looks like a simple problem to fix during manufacturing.
Dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:25 AM   #209
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Sealer

I think most of them are like this.I had to caulk both the Airstreams because of leaking in that area.It is about a 1'' long x 1/4 '' High opening but I am thinking this is happening to the Airstreams with the bed and bath in the rear.I dont know about the others.

Old 02-05-2007, 12:13 PM   #210
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoman
...but I am thinking this is happening to the Airstreams with the bed and bath in the rear.
We have a rear corner bath with the retractable "window blind" style door/shower curtain thingy and there is a short little section under the door roller where the water will "drain" to the floor area by the toilet after the door is opened. We had that area caulked, but the leak had returned on the last camping trip. I am going to try a different brand of caulk than was used to repair it and see if that will last longer. I guess this is just going to be a routine maintenance item.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 02-05-2007, 03:30 PM   #211
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Winter Park , Florida
Question: what's a "shub"?

We've had a number of minor fit/finish items with our '06 Safari which we bought new from Bates last April. Unfortunately, or fortunately, each of them has been so minor that we haven't bothered to take it back for service, but I suppose at some point they will, collectively, justify the trip to Tampa.

1) Our shower door lock broke off after the second use, but the door/shower still works fine as long as you don't bump it open.

2) We noticed a couple of wet spots during a serious downpour - our only heavy rain experience so far. I don't know if it's a problem or should just be blamed on the severity of the rain that day.

3) Wood/upholstered panel underneath the sofa is difficult to open/shut.

4) Front door is difficult to open/shut - hasn't really gotten better with use but hasn't been a problem really, either. Sure feels secure when you slam yourself inside and lock the door behind you!

5) Some other minor things that I guess we've just gotten accustomed to b/c I can't remember them at the moment.

Do most of you just fix these little things yourselves as you go or at some point make a long list and take it back for service while it's still under warranty? I guess I've got a little over a year under warranty remaining.

GO GATORS!!
dbradhstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:51 PM   #212
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Pictures

Here are some pics for everyone to see where I had my problems these are some that are pretty well known I think.
Here is the shub in the pic.The leak is just under it and you can see where I put the caulking at.Also there were 2 tiny holes just in front of the shub and I filled those in as well.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P2053415_640x480.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	31871   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2053416_640x480.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	31872  

Name:	P2053414_640x480.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	31873  

Old 02-05-2007, 05:04 PM   #213
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Door

Here is where I had problems with my door.It would not shut all the way and would stay open to about an inch or so.I had to slam it to get it to close right.This was on my pevious Safari.The new one I have now does not do this but is very close to rubbing against it.I will be sanding it down just to be safe in case of expanding and contracting.Here is the pic from the inside.You can see to your left looking at the pic that there is room where the screen door can close.When you look at the other side you can see how close the door is to the piece of wood.It rubs against this and pushes on the screen door and sandwiching it between the outside door making it hard to close to where you have to slam it.I hope this helps some out.
The other picture shows it from the outside.You can see that the piece of wood sticks up pretty high.I would think they would have made it flush with the aluminum.
Dont mind the hole in the screen.Bella saw some new friends and got really excited.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P2053420_640x480.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	31877   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2053421_640x480.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	31878  

Old 02-06-2007, 09:05 AM   #214
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Here are some pics for everyone to see where I had my problems these are some that are pretty well known I think.
Here is the shub in the pic.The leak is just under it and you can see where I put the caulking at.Also there were 2 tiny holes just in front of the shub and I filled those in as well.

We have the same shower door set up. I didn't know that was called a "shub" myself. Combination shower/tub makes sense. Anyway, we had a leak in the same place. While in JC for body damage repair, they caulked it for us, but that seems to have not lasted very long. I think that is a condition of the brand of caulk used. Rich Luhr has the same set up and he has recommended a different brand of caulk that I think I will use to re-caulk this weekend before our next camping trip in two weeks.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 02-06-2007, 11:33 AM   #215
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Here is where I had problems with my door.It would not shut all the way and would stay open to about an inch or so.I had to slam it to get it to close right.This was on my pevious Safari.The new one I have now does not do this but is very close to rubbing against it.
I had a nasty draft coming from under that wood threshold. I did a light test at night and there was a fair sized opening that I had the factory fix when I was there in spring of 2005.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:01 PM   #216
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Classic
Lake Tomahawk , Wisconsin
Now that we have approximately 8000 miles on our 2006 Classic (28) foot we find black streaks of "soil" rising vertically between the carpet and the side wall in the bedroom. Lo and behold Oasis Airstream in Tucson says "there was no sealant between the chassis and side walls in the wheel wells." As roads were travelled the dirt and fine gravel worked its way into the "should have been sealed with undercoating seam". Fine gravel even worked its way into the compartment under the bed. Talk about a "Friday" Afternoon unit.
William Ales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:08 PM   #217
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I had a wheel well caulking issue on our 2004. There wasn't any on the front curbside trim.......

Would get a lake inside when towed in the rain. Static, I could have a monsoon, nothing, but when I towed and it was wet out!
Old 03-29-2007, 08:00 PM   #218
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
We have the same shower door set up. I didn't know that was called a "shub" myself. Combination shower/tub makes sense. Anyway, we had a leak in the same place. While in JC for body damage repair, they caulked it for us, but that seems to have not lasted very long. I think that is a condition of the brand of caulk used. Rich Luhr has the same set up and he has recommended a different brand of caulk that I think I will use to re-caulk this weekend before our next camping trip in two weeks.
Had the same problem with a leaking 'shub' (great term!). Anyway, I sealed it with white SikaFlex and haven't seen a drop since. Next on the sealing hit list is the awful silicone job JC did on the interior of the shower stall. You would think that workers who do the amount of sealing that an Airstream requires would be able to do a better job of it!!! ..................but then, caulking for me is sort of a Zen-like excersize of mind/body control and precision
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:14 AM   #219
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Some additional info has been presented about the outside alum of certain units.

If interested, please read this thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ues-31743.html
Old 05-05-2007, 08:39 PM   #220
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Classic
Livingston , Terry
Red face 2006 Classic 25' Issues

I recently took my baby back to Bates RV in Tampa for repair. It included all 12v lights and fans in the rear of the coach that went out. The Shub enclosure that wouldn't retract after showering (fun), main door adjustment, light fixture lens that fell out and broke, oh and a check for the gas hot water heater that I had to have replaced. The asst service manager, Gary, was very accomodating and had everything fixed in less than a day, except for the Shub that was overnighted and installed the day it arrived. The rig was washed and really cleaned up purty. I was impressed with the attention the service staff paid to the repairs and am happy with their work. Only problem I've had since, was when backing into the campground and 'kissed' a tree. No skin damage, only light bumper dent. I'll take it in soon, somewhere.............