Old 05-25-2005, 11:38 PM   #113
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
While I share your pain, it's a very rare happening when a company replaces a vehicle. Now, before I say anything more, my unit had a leak, got good an wet inside and I dried it out and fixed it. Of course it was a different situation than yours.....

I too when I first got our '03 Bambi was equally unhappy, but after dealing with the factory directly, I found that for the most part the answer to any reasonable request is yes and I've had nothing but great service from the factory folks both over the phone, email and in person. I understand that a trip to Ohio isn't easy, so besides getting a good lawyer, you should look for a good dealer that knows their stuff. I think you'd be happier if you saw some real action or service from a dealer who does more than crack jokes....I'd be hot too if I had a dealer like that, but you know, I did have a similar type dealer I dealt with...when it came time for the '04 Safari, I drove an extra 3 hours and not only got a better deal, but a bit more.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 11:42 PM   #114
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Hey Frozen, what kind of screws were sent? Do you think they too will rust? I'm gonna have to look at mine to see how they look...haven't paid too much attention to it...prob a good idea since rusty water running off these on the finish can't be good.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 05-26-2005, 05:04 AM   #115
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by denellen
Yes I've contacted Airstream, and believe me- I've towed this thing all up and down, and across Florida trying to get it fixed properly. Many attempted repairs were unacceptable.
Airstream arrogantly ignored request for specific information regarding repairs/modification of my trailer after their last attempt, and inquiry as to their intentions for further remedial actions regarding biohazard cleanup. They suggested that they would assist me to arrange a trade-in on another model! This of course would leave me at great disadvantage as I would have to disclose this leak problem to any potential buyer, and also accept depreciation as a used trailer. This is a new trailer which I have had no enjoyment of!
I've requested that Airstream replace this LEAKY NIGHTMARE with a new trailer. It is their gross manufacturing defect. I paid good cash: there was nothing wrong with my money. It's time for them to make good on their side of the deal.
I have hired an attorney to pursue a acceptable conclusion, but this is a long and costly process; attorney fees, expert witness, etc.
Meanwhile I am still missing out on one of my family's favorite recreational pursuits.
I feel your pain, and good luck getting this resolved.

It seems to me that Airstream should be offering to transport your trailer at their expense to the factory and fix it for you there, and/or offer to give you a 100% refund of what you originally paid as a trade-in on another model.

John
Old 05-26-2005, 06:59 AM   #116
DEO
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
West of Boston , Massachusetts
Problem with Converter

During a long trip last month we experienced a problem with our converter on our 2005 25' Safari SS. We were getting 110 but no 12v. We figured this out when our batteries ran down and the lights went out but the 110 outlets were working. We called Airstream while we were on the road and they were somewhat helpful in helping us determine what the problem was. The directed us to call a couple of dealers we would be passing by on the way home but the dealers were too busy to correct the problem in the timeframe we needed. Fortunately we only had 2 days left on our trip (we were heading home) so we charged the batteries each day with our truck as we drove and kept the lights off at night. The good news is we were pleasantly surprised how competent our dealer was and how well and promptly they fixed the problem. They even fixed a couple of other minor problems! It's scary to hear some of the problems others have had quality is soo important in retaining customers.

I am manufacturing systems director for a large international corporation and in the past few years we have been placing a focus on quality product. We are seeing our sales increase and our customers are much happier... Gee this only makes sense doesn't it?
Old 05-26-2005, 10:21 PM   #117
3 Rivet Member

They look to be stainless. AS also sent me replacement lights, which do not appear different than what's on now, but maybe they have a better gasket? They are made in Taiwan, so the quality is there.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:26 AM   #118
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen chosen
They look to be stainless. AS also sent me replacement lights, which do not appear different than what's on now, but maybe they have a better gasket? They are made in Taiwan, so the quality is there.
HA!

So let me get it right, they sent you the whole light assembly? These are for the teardrop running lights...right? When I looked they were caulked as well. I could be wrong. Just make sure if you replace the whole unit(s) that you have the proper caulk. I think it's called par-bon or something like that...it's greyish looking. I picked up some when I was at the factory a month or so ago.

I am going to check mine when I see it in a few weeks when I get it ready for the midwest rally.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:16 PM   #119
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Well, I decided to swing by the Safari storage place on my way home tonight. Found 2 things.

There are weight clips on the inside of the rim on all 4 rims. May have been done when I had some warranty work done, cause I don't recall them being there before, but they could have been.

Also checked all the tear drops....none of them had a lick of rust.....not sure why not since I think Frozen's was built around the same time.
Old 05-28-2005, 04:17 AM   #120
3 Rivet Member

Didn't you ask for a repair order from the dealer that repaired the leaks. Does your trailer still leak?
Old 05-28-2005, 08:09 AM   #121
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
When we picked up the coach, we found that water had gotten into the unit and the dinette seats were wet starting from what looked like the bottom up. Several questions as to where it came from were looked at. The front door, the fridge, etc. Airstream dispatched someone (I think it was Matt) to Sherry RV and they tested the coach, no leak...then they brought it back and placed it back into the water testing machine.....no leaks. I think they adjusted the door and took out the fridge to look see if the leak was in there. No leaks. We all thought it was a fluke.

Got the trailer home, looked great! Sat in the drive with all the snow, cold and ice....no issues.....spring came, monsoon type rains.....no leaks.

Went out on the first trip. Day one, no rain, no leaks.....life is good. Second day, was towing in the rain, water on the floor!

Talked with Jim, and he suggested a light test...did it late one night, found some areas in the door area, and followed up with a water test...no leaks. So then I took a look at the curbside wheel well. No light in the light test....did the water test and sure enough....leak. So somewhere on the wheel well trim piece was where the leak was. I placed some silicone caulk around the inner wheel well as a temp fix, it worked...no more leak. When at JC a bit ago, they re-Vulkem'd the whole wheel well.....still no leaks and a continued happy camper!
Old 05-30-2005, 08:23 AM   #122
1 Rivet Member

I took my unit back to Jackson Center this past April. I had the same problem with my black tank sensor. Before taking it back I spoke w/ Catcom the mfg of the unit and we tried several different ways to get it to work again. The tech. at Catcom advised me that the tank sensor was not working. I advised Airstream of what I did, but they spend several hour checking the wiring, board, etc. After all of those checks were performed the sensor still did not work and they told me that they needed to replace the sensor.

The sensor is located at the bottom of the black water tank just in front of the dump valve. The only way they could get to it was by cutting a hole in the steel plate that protects the tank. (It is about a 3-4 hour job at the factory service center) They repleaced the sensor and it has been working fine since it has been replaced. If it breaks after the warranty ends next year I now have access to replace it myself.

dkekrksk
Old 06-07-2005, 11:37 AM   #123
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB International
2005 28' International CCD
Petaluma , California
Hello.

My wife and I are on our maiden voyage, and of course a few items on our 2005 CCD International 28' need fixin' under warranty. Here is our punchlist:

1. Front right privacy glass holding bracket has broken off as it sticks.
2. A few interior rivets have fallen out
3. When we unplug the sink drain and let water run out, the resulting grey water backs up into the shower pan. Not a big deal as it eventually drains, but the residue from washing our dishes ends up in the shower and we have to clean it. Our quick fix has been to just plug the shower, but we are concerned that there is a bigger plumbing issue.
4. The upper tail lights sometimes work and sometimes don't. Possible wiring issue.
5. The porch light doesn't work.
6. Some of the interior lights go on and off, possible wiring issue.
7. The rubber gasket holding the screens on the dining table window keeps coming out and the screen is coming loose.
8. A few interior wood trims are unfinished.
9. Front door doesn't deadbolt from the interior unless you slam it shut REALLY hard (dealer fixed this by shaving down the deadbolt a little at an angle).

- Mike and Angela and our dog Kenzie
Titus Moto Lite, Nerve Cruiser
Mike, Angela, the kiddies & 10 yr old puppy, Kenzie, our Golden Retriever and best friend ever
sarmimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 12:33 PM   #124
Craftsman

Look at the photo on the back of the 2005 brochure. The two outer marker lights aren't installed correctly . One points at the two o'clock position and the one on the right is pointing at the 9 o'clock position. It should be 2 and 11 or 3 and 9. It may be a little thing to some people but I notice it every time that I look at it. If I owned it, it would drive me crazy. Especially to know that the holes have already been drilled and to move ione of them will leave a hole ...even if it is covered up.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:47 PM   #125
B&J
Happy Campers

2005 quality tracking

We took delivery of our 28' CCD mid March of this year and just recently had a few warranty items fixed by our dealer. #7 on your list (screen rubber gaskets) were also on our list. The rubber gasket on our large rear bedroom window had slipped out of the groove and was hanging across the window. It's hard to say when it popped out. We had the dealer check all the window screen tracks when they fixed the one in the bedroom. There was another window that looked like the gasket might pop out in the future. Our dealer said they don't see alot of this, but have occasionally repaired other trailers with this problem. Regarding #8(unfinished trim), I spoke to Jim in customer service at Airstream about the unfinished trim in the bathroom lower cabinet by the toilet. He said it comes unfinished and there is not supposed to be a trim piece on this cabinet. It looked to me like they could have easily finished it with a trim piece. Ours needs sanding and it really looks bad. I haven't noticed any other area that looks unfinished. We haven't plugged our sink in the kitchen, but have plugged the one in the bathroom several times and had no problem.

We feel that there is room for better quality control at Airstream when the trailer rolls off the finish line. However, we are very happy with our trailer and the warranty work we have had done has not been major. Hopefully you will be able to trouble shoot and get everything corrected. Good luck.
2005 CCD International 28 foot
B&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 01:07 PM   #126
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Marker Light photo on 2005 brochure

Craftsman-

This could be improper installation (aka quality problem), but more likely it's wide-angle distortion from the camera lens. The photographer has positioned the camera slightly left (roadside) to be able to photograph both the Airstream and the old barn, and is using a very wide-angle lens, resulting in the distortion. I determined this by stepping out of our 2005 and looking at the rear of the unit--upon close inspection, the upper marker lights are correctly installed, but the more I moved roadside rear, the more that marker light appeared to point to 9 o'clock. Same thing with the curbside rear marker light.

Interesting that they wouldn't correct that visible distortion before the brochure went to press. Probably nobody noticed until now.