Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2005, 12:57 AM   #141
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
2005 Bambi LS - 19 ft.

So far, it's been a good experience, and the dealership was great to work with. While I'm not new to Airstreams, I'm new to anything they've produced in the last 37 years. The dealer has a program where they offer to spend about half a day to 'school' you in every aspect of the workings of the Airstream. The salesman literally rolled out the red carpet, and introduced you to the entire sales and technical staff who are available to assist you until you leave. They also offer to let you spend the night at their facility so you could use the camper before you take it home. The next morning, the technical staff were available to resolve any problems or answer questions, if necessary. I'm glad I took them up on both offers because there were some issues, and I had a lot of questions. Some of the issues are as follows:

- There was some minor caulking needed in the shower, which they performed on the spot.
- A bulb in an exterior light was replaced.
- A missing remote control for the TV was produced within 20 minutes.
- The sensor in the black water tank wasn't working properly, and there is a small leak. They weren't able to repair it that day (Saturday) because it involved removing some panels underneath and parts, so they scheduled an appointment.

When I arrived, the Bambi had been meticulously cleaned and polished inside and out. Aside from the above, all the appliances and systems were working properly, and there wasn't a scratch or blemish anywhere to be found.

BTW, since it came with all the upgrade packages and I plan on using it a lot, I purchased a seven year extended warranty that covers the Airstream and everything that came with it (just in case). Unless it involves Airstream specific parts, the work can be done by any repair facility. I'll let you know how the tank repairs turn out.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 07:48 AM   #142

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I will be interested in seeing how your extended warranty pans out. My dealer offered me one but I turned it down, although I have the option to buy it at the same price anytime prior to my original warranty expiring.

I had an extended warranty on the air conditioner on my SOB. I used that for 2 calls so I did get my money out of that.

If you read Trailer Life magazine, you will note that they have a regular feature where they provide reader assistance in disputes. The majority of the issues they deal with are extended warranty issues, where the warranty folks refused to pay a claim, or time share campground issues.

Glad to see your dealer spends the time to do the orientation and prep right.
Mine is very similar to yours and includes a stay in one of his full hookup sites at the dealership. You don't pay or take the trailer home until you are satisfied.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 03:02 PM   #143
1 Rivet Member

Tires

Anyone having problems with Goodyears on a new AS? Mine are bluging out on the sidewall. Tire store says it's normal, but I've never seen tires do this.
dms4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 03:18 PM   #144

Fenton , Missouri
What's the tire pressure, and can you post a picture?

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 06-23-2005, 07:27 PM   #145
1 Rivet Member

Tire shop checked pressure and found it to be correct, although I'll have to check it myself tomorrow and post it. Service man says the bulges are where the steel belts are joined, and said that indentations are normal, but not bulges. He thinks the belts are giving way.

Goodyear phone customer service said that bulges are normal.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:41 PM   #146
1 Rivet Member

More on our new '05 Safari LS -FB:

Took her to the beach last week in 94 degree weather. Arrived and got setup, then went in to turn on air conditioning. AC unit dead. Called dealer service dept who said to check fuse in thermostat. Found no fuse in thermostat.

He then said to check fuse in main electrical panel. There is no fuse for AC. No further help from dealer. I then dropped the panel in the overhead unit and found a rats nest of wires. Found the grey 4 conductor ribbon cable from the thermostat coupled to the unit by a 49 cent telephone rs232 coupler. Unplugged both ends and reseated both ends. Voila - AC OK. Vibration must have caused a bad connection.

Next day, noticed fridge running on gas. Tried to reset to 110v, but no good. Chased the problem and found 110v heater element open. Called dealer to make appointment this week, since we're taking another trip this week. Dealer advised his schedule was full and "couldn't even look at it until late July". Got it fixed today at Camper's World under Dometic warranty.

After spending over 40 grand, I'm not the most satisfied customer AS has. Since our purchase on April 27th, no call from the dealer to ask if we were satisified. No call nor any "welcome aboard" nor thank you from AS. Infact, AS was supposed to send hats and jackets and we've received nothing. Just a warranty appointment 5 weeks out. So far, this will be my first last Airstream. Perhaps they are going the way of other US manufacturers with NO customer service.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:10 AM   #147
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dms4911

After spending over 40 grand, I'm not the most satisfied customer AS has. Since our purchase on April 27th, no call from the dealer to ask if we were satisified. No call nor any "welcome aboard" nor thank you from AS. Infact, AS was supposed to send hats and jackets and we've received nothing. Just a warranty appointment 5 weeks out. So far, this will be my first last Airstream. Perhaps they are going the way of other US manufacturers with NO customer service.
For our hats and jackets we got an order card from a woman in sales at Airstream about a month or so after we got our 2004 Airstream last summer. We returned the card to her and she then forwarded it to the company that the hats and jackets come from. The company only filled these orders periodically, maybe every couple weeks, when they got a sufficient quantity of the order cards from Airstream since they only put the Airstream logos on at that time. As a result, we bought our Airstream in Arpil 2004, but I believe the jackets and hats only arrived at our home in August.

The whole process for ordering these hats and jackets is cumbersome and inefficient. Here's one way Airstream could improve it:

1. Send every dealer a sample of these hats and jackets, together with the order forms, so customers can try them on to determine the correct sizes when they place their order or buy a new trailer. (My wife ordered the large size jacket, but it is too small for her.)

2. At time of delivery, the dealer or the customer should send the completed order form directly to the company that supplies the hats and jackets. There's no need to get the woman at Airstream involved in the process.

Of course, Airstream or the dealers could also keep a sufficient quantiy of these hats and jackets on hand to deliver them at the time you take delivery of your trailer. Alternatively, I would have preferred if Airstream did not offer these hats and jackets in the first place, and simply reduced the trailer's price - my wife would never wear her's even if it was the right size - the style of the hat and jacket isn't something that would be attractive to everyone.

John
Old 06-24-2005, 10:24 AM   #148
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dms4911

Took her to the beach last week in 94 degree weather. Arrived and got setup, then went in to turn on air conditioning. AC unit dead. Called dealer service dept who said to check fuse in thermostat. Found no fuse in thermostat.

Next day, noticed fridge running on gas. Tried to reset to 110v, but no good. Chased the problem and found 110v heater element open. Called dealer to make appointment this week, since we're taking another trip this week. Dealer advised his schedule was full and "couldn't even look at it until late July". Got it fixed today at Camper's World under Dometic warranty.

Perhaps they are going the way of other US manufacturers with NO customer service.
I think it's important to understand that although these components are installed by Airstream as well as other RV companies, none of them build these units (fridge, AC unints, etc)...matter of fact, some of these things are entirely, if not a fair number of parts are made overseas and RV companies buy these units and install them into the coaches.

The simpe fact here is that no two dealers are alike when it comes to service. Some wonderful, some are fair, while others are just tin pushers. If it were me, I'd have contacted the factory the second I felt that the dealer was not doing what I felt they should be doing. Matter of fact, that's what I did in the past and what I continue to do. I have never found the factory to say no to any reasonable request. I've dealt with them via email, telephone and out at the service center. They have sent me parts, offered solutions, etc. Each encounter provided me with what I was looking for.....the key words here though are "reasonable request". I know your pain, trust me and by no means am I making excuses for Airstream, Dometic, etc. The fact is that you bought the Ferrari of RVs and must realize that unlike Chevy or Ford, there are not a whole lot of dealers out there that can service these units, and of those that can you really need to do your homework and filter out the good from the bad. Best of luck with your issues...I am sure once you get a few of the bugs ironed out, it'll be just fine!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 10:32 AM   #149
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Interesting about the tires....

I noticed the last time we were out that the side walls of both our tires had some bulges. Tire preasure at 60-65# per AS reccomendation. The bulges feel like they are half an inch thick, and they directionally run from the rim to the tread.

Is this what you have experienced?

Maybe it's time for a call to Jackson Center.

Jonathan
Old 06-24-2005, 11:55 AM   #150
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Pelham , New Hampshire
I have a 2005 25'classic and havn't had anything go wrong yet. I bought it in September of 04, and have only camped in it a few times, but everything works fine for now. I do have to say that I think I paid too much for this thing, in that now that we are part of the community we would be able to find a better bargain or a used one out there. I'm thrilled with it so far and can't wait to take it to Florida this winter to see what that will be like.
bobandcarla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 01:32 PM   #151
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
Roswell , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to desidou Send a message via Yahoo to desidou
I'm here to post our review of our new 2005 19' Bambi CCD. We've camped in it for a total of 6 nights and we're pretty happy with it so far.

We had such a tremendous, soap-opera like buying experience that I was just happy to get one. I can post details if anyone wants to hear the saga -- but I'll spare everyone the details in this post.

We are in Atlanta and ended up buying it from a dealership in Tampa (Bates RV Exchange) that we really liked. We had the joy of towing it home 8 hours on our first expedition and sleeping it in on our way home. We picked it up Memorial day weekend...

Since we've owned it, we have towed it from Tampa to Atlanta, then from GA to IL, so I feel like any big bugs would have reared their ugly heads by now...

Overall, we're pretty pleased. There are some minor issues (light switches are mis-labeled for the wrong set of lights), but mostly we think we got lucky and ended up with a solid one off of the line. I am almost afraid to verbalize that since I don't want to mess up my positive AS Karma and end up with issues like others have had(!).

We did have a small issue with the hot water heater not staying lit -- that was the gas/air mixture as many on this board predicted. My husband and I were fearful since it's our first camper and we didn't want to blow anything up (since the water heater is gas), we decided to let a dealer show us how to adjust and what to tweak when/if we have another issue with the water heater.

A few things we'd like to see in future models (if AS is interested in feedback):

- A thermostat for the A/C -- High, Med and Low settings can be a pain, especially when you are running the A/C overnight. It can get too cold very quickly and it would be nice to have a thermostat to turn the A/C off when not needed. (The A/C works well though)

- The light over the bed (under the cabinet) is on the same switch as the bathroom light. It's a pain if one of us wants to sleep and the other wants to shower and they need the light in the bathroom.

- The shower door/screen thing is a bit flimsy and I'm just betting how long it will last before it tears. We're careful with it now, but could see how it can be trouble if we ever have kids. Also, it seems hard to keep clean, we leave it extended after we get out of the shower to let it dry out (or towel dry it) so it doesn't build up mold in the re-tractable area.

- The oven is hard to light (I don't know why?)

- The privacy curtain plastic pins that snap into the track in the ceiling are flimsy. After a trip from GA to IL, we discovered that one had broken off and won't stay in the track. We'll get this fixed during the warranty period, but there may be a better design.

Some things we absolutely LOVE about our Bambi:

- The rear exterior "trunk" and bumper storage -- awesome. We even carry our grill back there. Love it!

- The pantry on the side of the fridge. I thought this would be wasted space, but you really can fit a good bit into that little pantry!

- The dinette is big enough to seat 4 adults, very nice!

The interior of the CCD is beautiful. It's like no other trailer on the market. That's why we spent the $$ and bought an AS. I hope they keep the CCD model around for a long, long time!

Oh, it was manufactured in November of 2004 (according to the curbside plate)

That's my $.02 - hope it helps!
AIR # 8298
desidou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 01:39 PM   #152
1 Rivet Member

The tire bulges are exactly as you describe, and with the correct tire pressure of 60-65#. My local Goodyear tire shop has never seen this and called Goodyear tech support. Tech support said not to worry about it. Makes we worry anyway.

On the other probs, I'm more dissappointed than upset. I stopped buying American cars in the 70's for this very "lack of service and quality" reason. I understand that things go wrong with OEM parts and can handle that. What ticks me off is total lack of caring and expertise on the part of the dealer and AS. (see previous posts regarding 12v TV question, AC prob, caps/jackets and fridge prob).

From the outset, things have gone very poorly. Upon delivery, the saleman handed us off to a service tech who hurriedly conducted our "walk-through", and on a new trailer that was hurriedly washed. My 2 emails to AS on the TV question were not answered, only responded to in a curt tone.

Then the 5 week wait for service on a simple problem on the fridge, and I'm not even ticked about the usual problems with rivet shafts and metal shavings rolling out from the cabinets every time I tow the trailer. The fact that no one at the factory bothered to vacuum the thing out before setting the interior is the least of my problems. I think it is indicative of the overall quality, however.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:47 PM   #153
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Desidou.

I agree about the light situation. It would be great if there was just a light switch for the light in the bath/toilet, so that you don't illuminate the entire coach, and waking a cranky spouse...

On another note, I also wish there was a second on/off switch for the pump IN THE BATH somewhere. I ussually remember to turn it on....to late!

Your AC should have a thermostat (assuming you have the Duo-Therm I have). It is a litttle knob on the ceiling unit closest curbside.

Jonathan
Old 07-08-2005, 02:05 PM   #154
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Classic 28

Just bought a 2005 Classic 28 at the International Rally. We have used it 6 nights so far and towed about 750 miles.

So far, quality is near 100%. Only 2 very minor defects were noted:
1. About 1/2" of the edge of the head liner was cut too short and was not staying tucked in under the ceiling bow. Fixed easily by loosening the Fantastic fan trim and tugging the liner forward just a tad.
2. The screw in one corner of the trim on the Fantastic fan in the bedroom did not hit the aluminum liner and the trim was drooping a bit. Fixed by adding another white-headed screw close by.

Fit and finish on everything else was flawless. Better than my 2003 Classic which, in itself, was well built.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 03:57 PM   #155
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Congrats John! Wow, you're on an upgrade roll! Trucks, 3rd Airstream...it's hard to keep up with ya! Congrats again on the new coach. I do have one question, does this new 2005 have the higher rock guards I've been seeing on the later 2005s?
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 04:13 PM   #156
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Congrats John! Wow, you're on an upgrade roll! Trucks, 3rd Airstream...it's hard to keep up with ya! Congrats again on the new coach. I do have one question, does this new 2005 have the higher rock guards I've been seeing on the later 2005s?
No, just the old low kind. I haven't looked at exactly when this coach was built.

I actually think the old guards looked a bit better, but the way the diesel can throw gravel, it wouldn't hurt to have the high ones.

One thing I wish I had was the new LED taillights. I'll upgrade when I get my finances in order again. The upgrade costs $100 plus tax for the 4 LED units.
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-08-2005, 04:28 PM   #157

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
One thing I wish I had was the new LED taillights. I'll upgrade when I get my finances in order again. The upgrade costs $100 plus tax for the 4 LED units.
Now that means you will have to give up the backup lights, right?

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 07-08-2005, 05:06 PM   #158
Contributing Member

I don't think so

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Now that means you will have to give up the backup lights, right?
Jack
As I remember, there are two red squares (tail & stop) that straddle the backup light. The LED units replace the red squares one to one. I had a LED set already bought for the 25, but I returned them to the Airstream store when I signed for the new trailer to ease the impact on my finances a bit.

I think I'll convert them when I go to the Homecoming next year, which we plan to do.

If the backup light does disappear, I never saw much need for it, anyway.
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-08-2005, 05:14 PM   #159

Fenton , Missouri
My SOB prior to my Airstream did not have backup lights. I missed them dearly when backing into sites at night. It allowed my wife to better see the site as she was guiding me in. As neat as the LED's are, I wouldn't give up the backups for them. Let's hope that they are there. Something rang bells that Silvertwinkie's Safari didn't have them but then again maybe I'm just in error.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 07-08-2005, 05:43 PM   #160
Contributing Member

Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
My SOB prior to my Airstream did not have backup lights. I missed them dearly when backing into sites at night. It allowed my wife to better see the site as she was guiding me in. As neat as the LED's are, I wouldn't give up the backups for them. Let's hope that they are there. Something rang bells that Silvertwinkie's Safari didn't have them but then again maybe I'm just in error.

Jack
The Safari has a totally different sort of taillight with no backup lights. Just two horizontal red bars in each light.

The Classic conversion uses the current Classic castings. Each LED unit is a sealed box with a red lens and 4 wires exiting to a plug. I was instructed to cut off the plug and use crimp connectors to attach the wires following the color code.

The trailer is 9 miles from here, so I can't check it right now.
WBCCI #9632