Old 05-03-2005, 10:22 PM   #99
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Just curious if your 25' FB has the entry door opening from right to left (as all new Airstreams do) or if you got one with the redesigned door that opens left to right (non suicide door).

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 06:22 AM   #100
2 Rivet Member

dms, please do share your findings about your 12v TV. I've been trying to
find a 12v cable for the Aquos as well -- no luck. I've checked everywhere I know to check and have had -0- success in locating a cable with the proprietary 12v connector on it. A phone call to the manufacturer(sharp) didn't help much either, according to sharp there is no accessory/cable available to be able to use the Aquos off of a straight 12v power source.

I've considered getting a spare AC/DC power cord from Sharp and cutting the end off but even then they want over 100$ for the replacement cable.

Please do share you findings/solution on this one. Otherwise it looks like an inverter may be the only solution. Like you my only purpose is to be able to watch the news for about 30 mins/day.

Old 05-04-2005, 08:10 AM   #101
1 Rivet Member

Ours is a "suicide" door, which is a tradeoff to the redesign that blocks the kitchen window when folded back against the outside of the trailer. So far, we don't have any problem with the 90 degree opening.

Concerning the TV and the 12vdc hookup, I haven't pursued locating a second plug. You saved me some time contacting Sharp, since buying another transformer is their only option. Why not go to the transformer (in the access space under the fridge on the outside) and cut the output line to the TV. Then, solder in a parallel 12vdc line and run to a hot 12v source. Hook both to a double pole toggle switch (in order to be able to select either feed going to the TV), and mount the switch in the 110v receptacle by drilling a round hole in the 110v faceplate for the toggle switch.

I did hear back from AS on my question and the response was "any change will void your warranty". Duh, 12 volts ain't rocket science.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:05 AM   #102
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Just curious if your 25' FB has the entry door opening from right to left (as all new Airstreams do) or if you got one with the redesigned door that opens left to right (non suicide door).
Your question concerning the suicide door brought to mind something I had been meaning to mention concerning the door on our 05/25' classic. I happened to notice the door{suicide} opens back against the furnace exhaust outlet. I was going in and out one day when it was cool outdoors and the thermostat was turned up from that morning. I just happen to be at the door when the furnace burner came on and realized what damage could be done as the door skin is almost against the furnace exhaust. If left to run I have no doubt it would ruin the door.!!! Am courious if anyone else had noticed this or if like me was un aware of it.---------Pieman
Old 05-04-2005, 01:59 PM   #103
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
For those of us that have this config (I do), it's a constant worry. I have also made the mad dash for the door upon hearing the furnace fire up and seeing the main door fully open. I guess the logic might have been that if the furnace was needed, the door would be shut, and for the most part it is....unless it gets nice out and you forget to turn off the furnace and it's right around that sweet spot where the furnace might still kick in or it's sunset, the temp has gone down and you left the furnace on and it hasn't gotten quite cold enough to close the windows and door yet...in which case you now own a baked twinkie if you don't catch it!

Me, I'm like Pavlov's dog, I hear the furnace during the day and first instinct after drooling is to look at the front door to see if it's closed.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 05-04-2005, 02:51 PM   #104

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Me, I'm like Pavlov's dog, I hear the furnace during the day and first instinct after drooling is to look at the front door to see if it's closed.
Hmmm...I make the mad dash also, but I don't drool. Have you finished your housebreaking training? Maybe it's an age thing and I have run out of drool.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 03:10 PM   #105
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Na, not yet...I'm just a pup.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:56 AM   #106
3 Rivet Member

Did anyone ever have any success on the issue of corrosion and finding non-corrosive screws for the teardrop lights? It sounds like stainless screws are not the answer, but zinc screws certainly seem to rust fast. I am not sure if they make aluminum screws, and if so, would they be too soft a metal?
Old 05-14-2005, 03:50 PM   #107
3 Rivet Member

Contact Airstream customer service and they will send you some replacement screws.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:10 PM   #108
_

. , .
yes martha they are doing the wheels

greetings all

i crawled under the 05 34 ltd to grease the levelers for the first time and crawled around to look at everything before things get too many coats of road crud. while under there i checked the wheels and all six had rim weights attached to the inner edge. there weren't any tape-on weights or outer rim weights but there were enough clamp-on weights along the inner side to suggest that someone is in fact balancing wheels before delivery. it wasn't the dealer either, so it must be happening at the factory as the owners manual states. of course i didn't see any of this on the tour, so maybe airstream is contracting this process out to whoever mount the tires and preps the wheels.

since tires aren't perfectly weighted either i hope they are balancing the rims after the tires are mounted. of course as the tires wear and begin to lose rubber they will eventually be out of balance again, and if you do lots of backing/turning and so on the tires will wear more unevenly than if just driving forward.

so to prolong the "balanced effect" i'll consider rotating every 2-3000 miles and likely have them re balanced yearly when the bearing are repacked and the disc brake pads inspected.

oh yea six disc brakes is pretty cool looking under there too.

cheers
2air'
Old 05-17-2005, 09:45 PM   #109
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn
Contact Airstream customer service and they will send you some replacement screws.

I did and they did. Thanks. Lynn.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:55 PM   #110
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
1964 19' Globetrotter
2012 Interstate Coach
vero beach , Florida
leaky nightmare

It is'nt just the 02 through 04 modelsthat have quality problems. My 2005 22' CCD is a night mare of sloppy construction and poor warranty service. In addition to all the problems noted here and on other forums my trailer had numerous interior leaks. It leakes in various places from the roof through the inside of the walls finding it's way to the floor eventually.
After the insulation gets saturated, water dripps out through the screw holes where the window shades are mounted, and between the overlapping interior panels above the counter top and at the head of the bed . A lot of water; more than a half bucket when I washed the trailer. It also leaked around the door and one window.
Airstream refuses to take remedial action other than plug the leaks, and in one case the dealer cobbled up a piece of sheet metal to divert the water to the outside behind the refrigerator.
If you live in Florida, post hurricane, you know about the health problems associated with fungus (mold/mildew). Per the EPA ( Environmental Protection Agency ), you must remove wetted materials within 24-48 hours to prevent possible SERIOUS HEALTH PROBLEMS , particularly for infants, elderly, asthma sufferers, and allergies. This includes wet insulation, and clean water flooding.
I think their quality problems start at the top level of management and are reflected throughout their organization, including their dealers. When I presented the dealer's service department with numerous fasteners picked up from the floor, they laughingly refered to it as "shakedown". I did'nt think it was very funny since I knew where some of these screws and things came from.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:21 PM   #111
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by denellen
In addition to all the problems noted here and on other forums my trailer had numerous interior leaks. It leakes in various places from the roof through the inside of the walls finding it's way to the floor eventually.
You mention that the dealer has not addressed your concerns adequately. Have you contacted Airstream directly? They normally will do what they can to make it right.

Please review the forum policies regarding bashing any other member.

Forum Policies
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 08:37 PM   #112
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
1964 19' Globetrotter
2012 Interstate Coach
vero beach , Florida
leaky nightmare

Yes I've contacted Airstream, and believe me- I've towed this thing all up and down, and across Florida trying to get it fixed properly. Many attempted repairs were unacceptable.
Airstream arrogantly ignored request for specific information regarding repairs/modification of my trailer after their last attempt, and inquiry as to their intentions for further remedial actions regarding biohazard cleanup. They suggested that they would assist me to arrange a trade-in on another model! This of course would leave me at great disadvantage as I would have to disclose this leak problem to any potential buyer, and also accept depreciation as a used trailer. This is a new trailer which I have had no enjoyment of!
I've requested that Airstream replace this LEAKY NIGHTMARE with a new trailer. It is their gross manufacturing defect. I paid good cash: there was nothing wrong with my money. It's time for them to make good on their side of the deal.
I have hired an attorney to pursue a acceptable conclusion, but this is a long and costly process; attorney fees, expert witness, etc.
Meanwhile I am still missing out on one of my family's favorite recreational pursuits.