Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-21-2004, 12:52 PM   #61

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I guess it goes back to the buyer beware. When I first saw the early CCD's I was amazed by the exposed alumimum on the interior walls and the scratches and other issues. Its one thing exposed aluminum on the outside. Its another thing though having it exposed inside. Considering all the interior work that must be done on assembly, the amount of care necessary to keep that aluminum from being damaged is quite daunting. Think about the potential as cabinets are being hung and other components carried in, one miscue mars a finish.

If I took that one step further considering daily wear and tear while the unit is in use, its not going to be an easy job to keep these interiors pristine. Technically Airstream built one sharp looking trailer. Unfortunately for assembly purposes its a nightmare.

If I worked up at the plant I probably would like building the Classics, with their wall paper and carpeted walls. That hides a lot of sins that would otherwise be exposed on CCD units.

There is no excuse for poor quality but sometimes you have to blame the designers and management production quotas for asking more than what the average assemblyman can consistantly produce.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 09:54 PM   #62
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You know, I started the 2004 thread about 2 or 3 months before I went down to get our new Safari. By the time I got down there the 2004 thread was already about 12 pages long. None of the folks there said anything to me to the effect that I shouldn't post. As a matter of fact, I've noticed that Airstream doesn't really edit too many posts on their forum either. I doubt they don't want folks to know.

In the end, I also believe that these overall quality threads do help track trends and while they are out there reading, it clearly indicates where they need to focus. To that end, I plan on continuing with a 2006 model year thread next time around.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 10:48 AM   #63
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Kalamazoo , Michigan
TV - Battery Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp-Dog
Picked up my 05 25' CCD on Friday. I don't have much to add as of yet since I won't be taking it out on a trial run until later this week. So far here's a few things I can share in regards to the workmanship/quality:

1) That squeeky floor problem you read about between the dinette and stove? I got it too! Mostly just a squeak, and/or a banging sound. Almost sounds like popping metal sometimes.

2) It seems whoever put the window in wasn't paying too much attention
to what they were doing. About 1 and 4 screws are eiether missing or
missed the hole altogether. There is aabout 1 3/4" separation between the window frame and body where the screws bent over/broke and missed the hole.

3) Upper cabinets, again screws bent over and missed the hole in a couple places.

4) I got the upgraded audio/video package and all seems to work great. The only thing I'd say is be carefull how you interpret the "12 volt" TV. It is 12 volt, but requires 110v to the transformer so you can't actually use it; unless you've got 110 power hooked -- no dry camping an wathing TV off the battery. Still waiting on the dealer's answer on a few 'missing' items. I think this is a bunch of bunk, but they're trying to tell me the stereo remote and TV remote are optional items...I interpret this as "they lost them"..still waiting for a callback on these 2 items.

For the most part I can deal with a few imperfections, but when buying a top tier product line it can be a little disappointing when the numbers start to add up. All these issues should be just simple fixes. I'll let ya'll know how it goes. Mftr. date is 06/04

All in all I'm happy with it. Not trying to be negative, just posting my 'issues' as the forum topic suggests.
Camp-Dog,

We have a '05 Safari 30' Safari Bunkhouse that came with the upgraded AV package. As you indicated, the LCD TV runs on DC but like my laptops has a converter/powerpak that plugs into the 110V outlet. Two possible solutions: 1) buy an inverter with a 12V adapter. Our unit has a 12V powerpoint (a cigarette lighter type plug) below the cabinet containing the powerpak. When I boondock, I just plug the 110 plug on the TV into the inverter and then plug the inverter into the 12V outlet. This has worked well for me; and 2) this one I haven't tried but you should be able to buy an aftermarket powerpak with a 12V connector. I have a Targus unit that has connectors for both 110 and 12V that I use with my IBM laptop. You can also buy tips for other brands of Laptops as well as other electronics such as cameras, cell phones, pdas, etc. This is a great unit as I only take one powerpak on the road now. You may be able to find a tip to fit the TV. Go to targus.com for a look.

BTW, the remotes come with the unit. They are not "optional".

Our unit was built in May '04 and while we have had some minor issues, the build quality is far superior to our previous unit, a Kodiak hybrid.

Hope this is helpful,

Jeff
Towdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 02:02 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
If we weren't going to use this "thing" until we are unable/disabled, I would say that it was a waste of $52000. Nice that you are now thinking about the quality of the "new" 2005 ,models

Our 2002 is a disappointment in quality control. Never again.

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 06:27 PM   #65
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kistler
If we weren't going to use this "thing" until we are unable/disabled, I would say that it was a waste of $52000. Nice that you are now thinking about the quality of the "new" 2005 ,models

Our 2002 is a disappointment in quality control. Never again.
I don't understand this post; wouldn't the fact that you are going to have this TT so long argue the other way? Why the quotes around the word new?
frozen chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 08:31 AM   #66
2 Rivet Member

Just curious if anyone has had any experience with having the factory fix the soft/squeaky floor on their 04/05 model 25' ?

I just returned from my first trip -- 7 days and all went well. The only thing that grinds on me is the floor issue. I've fixed up most of the minor stuff myself and waiting for the holiday season to finish up so I can make some progress on the so called 'optional' items. How receptive have other dealers/factory been on fixing the soft/squeaky floor?

I can say for sure, the AS held up nicely in the 20 degree temps we had during our trip. The heat worked great with one exception -- the propane bottle iced over a bit and cut down a little on the output, easy fix was to turn on both bottles since propane tanks rely on a little bit temp difference to expel the gas.

Since I will rarely camp in 20 degree weather but it was interesting to also see how much condensation really does build up. At one point I swore I had a leak, but it was just the moisture buildup on the 'inside' of the ceiling near the front fantastic fan. I guess I can kinda confirm this with the 4 inches of rain we got later in the week -- with no leak.

The floor is more like one of those things that bugs me more only because I know it's there -- but I'd really like to get it fixed up.
Camp-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 09:04 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp-Dog
Just curious if anyone has had any experience with having the factory fix the soft/squeaky floor on their 04/05 model 25' ?
I had my 2004 30' Classic back for factory service 2 times this past summer, and had them look at the floor, among a number of other problems.

My floor squeaks and creaks (sp?), and I believe moves up and down (although it may be just my imagination) right in front of the refrigerator.

The first time at the factory in June, they told me they put more insulation somewhere under the floor, which did absolutely nothing to fix the problem.

The next time I was there at the end of September, I was basically told I had to live with it.

I hope you have more luck in dealing with your floor problem than I have had with mine.

John

ps. I previously owned 2 quality SOB TT's that cost $20,000 each that had floors that didn't squeak a bit before paying $60,000 for this Airstream, so it seems to me that Airstream has a problem with either their flooring materials, their assembly methods, their people, and perhaps all three.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:23 PM   #68

Warped floor on 2005 19' CCD

I have a 2005 19' International manufactured 7/04. I have had two problems with it. The first is that the propane heater would not light. I went to Dillon's RV city in Apache Junction, AZ and they fixed it. Now the floor in the bathroom is warped due to a plumbing leak. I think the flloor will have to be replaced to repair the dammage. I will be going back to Dillon's in a couple of days to make a warranty claim for the repairs.
lmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 08:45 AM   #69
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmurphy
I have a 2005 19' International manufactured 7/04. I have had two problems with it. The first is that the propane heater would not light. I went to Dillon's RV city in Apache Junction, AZ and they fixed it. Now the floor in the bathroom is warped due to a plumbing leak. I think the flloor will have to be replaced to repair the dammage. I will be going back to Dillon's in a couple of days to make a warranty claim for the repairs.
We had the very same issue with the furnace in our '03 19' Bambi.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:20 AM   #70
3 Rivet Member

We've had our 2005 19' Bambi Int since October and love it. We have a few minor issues though haven't had it long enough to test all systems over a long period. Here's my "fix it" list for an AS tech so far:

1) Black tank monitor reads full when empty...this seems to be common problem with no apparent fix but we'll have them try anyway!

2) Some missing rivets (3) and hope this is easy fix.

3) Satellite radio not working, maybe faulty antenna wire. This is new for 2005 and not much info provided so will have this checked out by an audio tech when we have our tv installed. We can go from there if it needs replacing but they would be best to troubleshoot.

4) Black formica trim facing (on wall where tv will be installed) lifting at bottom 1". If monster glue will work I can easily fix this but may let them have a try since it will be in for service.

5) Cabinet edges rough on one cabinet, this also seems common but can sand and caulk/fill to look much better. I trust only me to fix this one!

6) On window side of bed (my side, eye level ) there is a small buckle where the panel ends on a rivet under the window. It is the only annoying flaw (to me not Dan!), something that would not affect the sale had I noticed it, but is an imperfection that I stare at when I go to bed. I will always be able to pick "my baby" out of a crowd though

Overall quality is great, no leaks no squeaks, and we can't wait to take it out again when the crazy rain stops pouring down on us in So Cal

Will edit this post to include manufacture date...it's at Dan's work but we keep forgetting to look!

Barbara
Rhodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 09:42 PM   #71
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
That tank monitor issue might be a tricky one. Mine does the same thing and I've recalibrated it at least 2x. Glad I have line of sight...
Old 04-14-2005, 11:51 AM   #72
Rivet Master

Was just over to our local Airstream dealer to look around. I was shocked what I saw. They had 2 Sprinter vans, a Westfalia and Interstate. Both were nice ideas for RV's but the quality of execution, to me wasn't there. On the Westfalia, the side windows didn't seal tight.(all plastic). The frig door seal was strapped acrossed the door latch and make a good seal. The permanent sewer hose arrangement appeared to be a very fragile set-up.(Used the thinnest quality of hose) The "Airstream" name on the side of the coach were peeling off . On the Interstate, there is a flimsy metal strap cradling the sewer pipe tube and cap, but nothing to anchor it from flopping upwards. On an '05 22 ft CCD there were wavy edges on the internal aluminum panels. For what they charge for these rigs, I'm very surprised and disappointed with the finished product. I thought I read that Airstream was trying to improve their Q/C..
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 12:22 PM   #73
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
Centerville , Utah
2005 Quality

I share your concern about quality issues. We have made one short weekend trip with our 2005 30'SO Classic since we took delivery in early March. Otherwise, it has been at the Dealer's Service Dept. for the past month getting a long list of problems corrected (hopefully). I summerized a few of the problems in a thread under "2005 Classic" back in March.

Tom Riley
tomriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 07:28 AM   #74
1 Rivet Member

Smile 2005 CCD Water Leaks

Just De winterized & took a trip to the beach on Sunday. I have water leaking from the pin holes on the tank shrouds when the pump is on about 1/8 of a tank per 4 hrs, has anyone else had this problem?
Also tv antenna crank has gone fubar
Hinge on pantry door has come out
Circut board for heater has gone fubar

7BBl Dme Brewery Brewing some of the best Lagers in The USA

Juan Pablo Montoya Go for Sprint Cup!!!
Weissbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 07:43 AM   #75
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I haven't seen that exact problem, but if I read you right, perhaps there is a loose hose in the tank area that is allowing water into the tank cover (I'm assuming you mean from the bottom). If that's the case, it should be an easy fix.

Ironically, I am at Jackson Center right now getting a few things taken care of (also very minor) on my way down to Louisville for Thunder over Louisville.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:46 AM   #76
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
I had a similar leak. Looked like it was coming from a small round hole in the tank cover. It was actually starting up above the tanks just under the floor area. My dealer had to drop the tank cover & they found a pvc supply line running under the floor that had a compression fitting. It was leaking.

They also fixed my squeek floor by dropping the belly pans, using steel angle and some foam with shims. AS covered it under warranty after I squeeked more than the floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weissbrewer
Just De winterized & took a trip to the beach on Sunday. I have water leaking from the pin holes on the tank shrouds when the pump is on about 1/8 of a tank per 4 hrs, has anyone else had this problem?
Also tv antenna crank has gone fubar
Hinge on pantry door has come out
Circut board for heater has gone fubar

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 09:06 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
We just returned from a 9 day trip with our 05 classic, this being the first trip of any length since our purchase in Feb. If this is any indication of the quality we are very pleased. Compared to the 04 16 ccd it is a BIG inprovement in quality. Have found very few things that need attention, most of which are very insignificant. Wife retires in June then the test really begins. ------ Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 12:08 PM   #78
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
We just picked up our 28' International CCD. So far, so good, everything that we have tried has worked. Couple of very minor trim items that need some attention. Overall, a well built & prepped unit.
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 01:33 PM   #79
1 Rivet Member

2005 Safari LS 25'

I purchased a 2005 25' Safari LS model in December 2004. It had been lightly used for a few months and traded in on a double bed configuration. I picked it up in Arkansas and drove it home to Maumee Ohio.

I have only found a few problems with the unit. One of the rear speakers did not work. The foot on one of the stabilizers would not swivel. And the shower did not work. I fixed the shower problem. The cartridge in the shower unit was clogged. Airstream of Detroit fixed the other problems.

I have been very happy with the unit. My wife and I are heading out on our first vacation with the Airstream this week.
Buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 01:40 PM   #80
2 Rivet Member

Hey, Buzzy!

We just ordered a Safari 25' Special Edition and we live in Whitehouse. Maybe we'll see you around the Toledo area! Hope we're as happy with ours as you seem to be with yours.
Roadsub is offline   Reply With Quote