Old 12-19-2004, 09:18 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

Picked up my 05 25' CCD on Friday. I don't have much to add as of yet since I won't be taking it out on a trial run until later this week. So far here's a few things I can share in regards to the workmanship/quality:

1) That squeeky floor problem you read about between the dinette and stove? I got it too! Mostly just a squeak, and/or a banging sound. Almost sounds like popping metal sometimes.

2) It seems whoever put the window in wasn't paying too much attention
to what they were doing. About 1 and 4 screws are eiether missing or
missed the hole altogether. There is aabout 1 3/4" separation between the window frame and body where the screws bent over/broke and missed the hole.

3) Upper cabinets, again screws bent over and missed the hole in a couple places.

4) I got the upgraded audio/video package and all seems to work great. The only thing I'd say is be carefull how you interpret the "12 volt" TV. It is 12 volt, but requires 110v to the transformer so you can't actually use it; unless you've got 110 power hooked -- no dry camping an wathing TV off the battery. Still waiting on the dealer's answer on a few 'missing' items. I think this is a bunch of bunk, but they're trying to tell me the stereo remote and TV remote are optional items...I interpret this as "they lost them"..still waiting for a callback on these 2 items.

For the most part I can deal with a few imperfections, but when buying a top tier product line it can be a little disappointing when the numbers start to add up. All these issues should be just simple fixes. I'll let ya'll know how it goes. Mftr. date is 06/04

All in all I'm happy with it. Not trying to be negative, just posting my 'issues' as the forum topic suggests.

Old 12-19-2004, 05:47 PM   #44
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Great info..thanks...

I too had some dealer issues. Our dealer tried to tell us that the Bambi didn't come with a fire extinguisher, or that gray "Airstream" floor mat.

A call to the factory got both sent nearly immed. If you get the run around from the dealer, make sure to contact the factory. They have always been very responsive IMHO.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 09:01 AM   #45
1 Rivet Member

Talking

we finally did it!!!! we have wanted a CCD for two years & patience paid off. After one too many glasses of wine I visited the Colonial airstrem page at 2:30 am & found a "used" 2005 CCD 25" for 39 k . Called and bought it for 38 k over the phone. Drove from NH to NJ and inspected. The dealer said the previous owners were from CT and had upgraded. The dealer could not tell me to what however. the condition was almost like new, all stickers and literateur/tape still in refrigerator, shower and stove. There were two Reese anti sway Cams on the trailer so it had been towed. The Date of manufacture was 09/04 verified by both the vin plaque and the inspection stickers still inv the shower.Spent the first night in her on the way home and really spent some time inspecting.

Defects: There is a hump in the floor between the stove and dinette

Door must be slamed 3x as hard as seems prudent to shut it properly (anyone else have this problem?)need to have this addresed as we are keeping her heated year round to ski out of on our day off

There are nicks on the trim on the pantry corner

There is a repair to thecabinet over the couch w/ coverup paint on the white formica about the sizeof a screw head

The waste water rinse hose has a cover that wont stay closed

I am very happy w/ this unit and its condition w/ the exception of the door, hopefully the fix is a simple adjustment

I was going to take her to Sunday River to go skiing today however we have to stay home "dont want to tow her in the snow & have to plow our restaurant" so after the holiday week (got to feed all the skiers to pay for her!)
Old 12-20-2004, 09:14 AM   #46
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Congrats Weissbrewer!

When you have time, can you post the build month and year. The tag for it can be found on the streetside front on a little square metal patch.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 12-20-2004, 12:32 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weissbrewer
we finally did it!!!! we have wanted a CCD for two years & patience paid off. After one too many glasses of wine I visited the Colonial airstrem page at 2:30 am & found a "used" 2005 CCD 25" for 39 k . Called and bought it for 38 k over the phone. Drove from NH to NJ and inspected. The dealer said the previous owners were from CT and had upgraded. The dealer could not tell me to what however. the condition was almost like new, all stickers and literateur/tape still in refrigerator, shower and stove. There were two Reese anti sway Cams on the trailer so it had been towed. The Date of manufacture was 09/04 verified by both the vin plaque and the inspection stickers still inv the shower.Spent the first night in her on the way home and really spent some time inspecting.

Defects: There is a hump in the floor between the stove and dinette

Door must be slamed 3x as hard as seems prudent to shut it properly (anyone else have this problem?)need to have this addresed as we are keeping her heated year round to ski out of on our day off

There are nicks on the trim on the pantry corner

There is a repair to thecabinet over the couch w/ coverup paint on the white formica about the sizeof a screw head

The waste water rinse hose has a cover that wont stay closed

I am very happy w/ this unit and its condition w/ the exception of the door, hopefully the fix is a simple adjustment

I was going to take her to Sunday River to go skiing today however we have to stay home "dont want to tow her in the snow & have to plow our restaurant" so after the holiday week (got to feed all the skiers to pay for her!)
We have to slam our door pretty hard to get it shut completely as well. Ours is a 2004 30' Classic Ltd that was manufactured at the end of April. I put some silicone spray on the latches periodically and that seems to help for a day or so but then its back to slamming it shut. I haven't been too concerned otherwise about it though. We also couldn't get the deadbolt to work soon after we bought it; a return to the factory solved that by putting in a spring was apparently missing from it.

Some of your other issues also sound familiar as well - We have numerous quality problems with our floor, abundant nicks and scratches inside and out. The factory service used white paint to cover a rather larger gouge in our bathroom wall that has a grayish color wallpaper - ugh!

John
Old 12-20-2004, 03:10 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
2005 Classic 25' twin Build 6/04

We had to slam our door pretty hard too. The lock moved with the key as well. After factory service it shuts easier now, the deadbolt slide was installed backwards. Now there is quite a bit of play on the inside handle, wondering if that is okay?

Hazards: Metal shavings every where causing minor cuts when unsuspectingly encountered, good 1/4 cup of debris and loose hardware in converter area; Refrigerator vent discolored and caulk embedded with metal shavings, cleaned; First wash of Airstream brought and uncovered many metal shavings, proceed with caution when washing roof and crevaces

Finishes: Patio light collar was discolored and replaced, faucet base plate was peeling and replaced,

Wiring: 12volt did not work from the outlet in the rear, wired to tail lights, new wire ran

Hardware: Screen door had a gap on top, lock notch left open, door adjusted and flap installed to seal opening; step was crooked and one latch not catching well and opened during transit, straightened underbelly pan and adjusted

working mechanics: All the window handles slip and turn and one off, lubricated windows and tightened; Overhead locker hinge bent and moving, replaced; Awning wheels did not seat squarely in locking position, awning adjusted

Furniture: Writing desk not level and bent wire, fixed three times, Fold down dining table bellied and unlevel, adjustments made, new table ordered but now told by service when asking for arrival that it was adjusted pretty good (?) Rear nightstand drawer comes out during transit, hubby rebent wire lip, may need better solution

Cosmetics: Tuck in overhead locker fabric, fixed, delamination of fabric various places, Corian stove top not flush, bumpers inserted

Minor: Most curtain stoppers broken or cracked from screw torque, replaced; flourescent light covers not seating properly through flex, retainer trim trimmed accordingly

Connections and storage: Sewer hose connector leaked, replaced; rear bumper drawer not closing, gasket installed, underbelly storage doors not closing, adjusted as much as possible, rear storage door cables pulled out twice, hubby fixed and considering alternative fix, battery doors not flush, adjusted

Dometic: Climate Control Panel would not work on high fan in air or heat, circuit breaker would trip, swapped out part in air conditioner, air conditoner leak,sealed at drip tube connection to pan and found small leak

Atwood: Furnace blower would not turn off, no heat, sail switch was hung up, hubby fixed with using cardboard as a spacer behind

Murphy's Law: Flat tire during prep at dealers

There were various other minor things, such as a bit of debris under the door corner of the vinyl but after seeing the fix (a strap of metal) in another unit I figured we're good, not really noticeable unless you are wiping up the floor, and consider ourselves fortunate to not have the slits, holes, and bumps as many others have. Adhesive sparyed all over the window latches, an abandoned tool, and the usual variability of hand assembly.

Some work was done by the dealer in prep, some back to the dealer for service, but the bulk was done and I was quite satisfied by the factory service. Whereas at the dealer (and I'm not naming names) things like the door and the step and the awning were said to be fine. The dealer offered to pick-up and return the Airstream but we opted for the trip to the factory to make sure it was done and done right.

We spent three nights at the Terraport very comfortably, only the 7:00 a.m. evacuation was rough on me. We enjoyed the factory tour, the vintage units on display, the many different kinds of units on the grounds, the internet access, the store, and the complimentary lattes in the comfy lounge. We also met a lot of nice Airstreamers there. Service, reception, and technicians were the most friendly and tolerant that I have ever experienced. No concern was received as trifling however "picky" I was being. We were made comfortable physically and emotionally and treated with respect from what I would have to tout as the best of hosts.
While we were there we had the Airstream washed and Walbernized and I picked up additional fabric and a carpet piece for future projects to personalize our new home away from home.

I highly encourage anyone to make the trip for service if necessary, as I don't think you will be disappointed.

We are very pleased with the quality and design of our Airstream and the way they stand behind their product 100%.

And Twink, this post's for you.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 07:55 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
I don't mean to be overly critical, but after reading these posts about so many quality control problems in new units, I am amazed that the answer always seems to be: take it back to Jackson Center; they will get the job done right. Isn't that where these trailers came from--with the job so often NOT done right? Why does it take a second trip at the owner's expense and discomfort to get an Airstream "done right"? IF Jackson Center stands by its product and cures its quality miscontrol problems, why aren't they putting the effort into the product when it is on the line in the first place? Seems like a few heads should roll to get quality control back to quality. Just mystified, that's all.
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 08:31 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
I don't mean to be overly critical, but after reading these posts about so many quality control problems in new units, I am amazed that the answer always seems to be: take it back to Jackson Center; they will get the job done right. Isn't that where these trailers came from--with the job so often NOT done right? Why does it take a second trip at the owner's expense and discomfort to get an Airstream "done right"? IF Jackson Center stands by its product and cures its quality miscontrol problems, why aren't they putting the effort into the product when it is on the line in the first place? Seems like a few heads should roll to get quality control back to quality. Just mystified, that's all.
The answer to your question is obvious: Airstream management doesn't have the least bit of interest in building quality units. And no offense, Carol (with reference to your post a short while ago) but as long as people have all these problems, and are nonetheless happy with Airstream, they will continue to build units that way -- very sloppily.

Our house, which is 15 years old and 10x the size of our Airstream, doesn't ever have as much debris on the floor as a lot of new Airstreams do when they are delivered to customers. Why should Airstreams leave the factory with all this garbage left in them?

And, why shouldn't they at least be able to build trailers after all these years with drawers that stay shut. They know exactly how to build then so the drawers will stay shut, but they won't do it.

There's only one anwser. They don't care at all.
John
Old 12-20-2004, 08:48 PM   #51
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
A concern ???

I'm a little more than concerned when following these posts of the 05's that A/S has a flooring problem, starting back with the 04's. More than one post has mentioned having some kind of flooring problem between the fridge & sink area. I feel whatever changes A/S made in that underbelly area, it has created a future weak flooring problem. Most likely it will show up after warranty expires. Owners expense!!!
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 09:08 PM   #52
2 Rivet Member

My observations from my first couple days of going over things kinda leeds me to believe Thor has gotten caught up in a lot of different lines each with it's own intended audience. I bought the AS for quality reasons and more or less the design/look of the unit. It just seems odd at the number of silly quality issues I'm reading about.

If Thor wants to build Dutchmens, that's great, they're actually pretty nice units. But when they start building AS's which cost considerably more, one would think they should get a higher quality unit. Not that anything is perfect, but a new AS should be -closer- to perfect than a many of the other Thor product lines; unfortunatley this doesn't seem to be the case. Afterall AS is kinda like Thors flagship product. You pay more, and you expect more.

I do feel that no product is perfect, and it's really about getting as close to perfecti as possible. Sometimes it's how well a company handles it's mistakes. AS seems to be doing well in this area according to most, but at the same time there shouldn't be so many petty quality issues to begin with when your paying for an upper tier product.

My only -real- gripe is the squeaky floor, it's obvious I'm not the only one.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:31 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
A few more thoughts

I have posted my list here to help to continue to track issues. When we looked for our Airstream, thanks to this forum we had some idea of what to expect and what to be wary of. I was hesitant to post in this regard but I appreciate the usefullness of the information here and finally decided it was something I could and should do for others as it was done aforetime for me.

There is the bad news but also there is the good news. The lists stand for themselves, the conclusions are always subject to interpretation. Personally I think if Airstream has to charge more to impliment ways to cut down on issues easily corrected than it still would leave the buyer ahead in the long run. Time, additional expense and frustration is not the expenditure that the new Airstream owner wants to make.

We did not order our unit. We have seen units we would not buy. But I have not seen another product that I would rather have right now. This is our sixth unit and our second Airstream. My warranty list has not shaken my opinion of Airstream producing a quality product. That is not to say it is the best product in the industry, nor that it could not improve, or that I was very happy and eager to work at getting redress.

It is not my expertise to decide where along the chain of command things are going askew. But I venture to guess it's not due to the worker on the floor with a particular production load to handle, the man or woman behind the front desk or the benevolent ones placed at the front lines of returning customers.

In this day and age, I cannot imagine anyone here has not been touched in some way by the effects of demanding increased productivity and diminishing returns. I don't see Airstream as a culprit to be villianized but then show me "the man" with all our money in his pocket and I'll sing you a different tune.

I agree with you John, but my being unhappy won't be what impacts them, others not purchasing units is what may eventually hit home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher
The answer to your question is obvious: Airstream management doesn't have the least bit of interest in building quality units. And no offense, Carol (with reference to your post a short while ago) but as long as people have all these problems, and are nonetheless happy with Airstream, they will continue to build units that way -- very sloppily.

Our house, which is 15 years old and 10x the size of our Airstream, doesn't ever have as much debris on the floor as a lot of new Airstreams do when they are delivered to customers. Why should Airstreams leave the factory with all this garbage left in them?

And, why shouldn't they at least be able to build trailers after all these years with drawers that stay shut. They know exactly how to build then so the drawers will stay shut, but they won't do it.

There's only one anwser. They don't care at all.
John

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 06:27 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
squeeky floor

I'm debating whether to drop the belly pan on my 2005 to fix the squeek myself or take it to a dealer for coverage under warranty. I was in a 2004 last month and it had the same squeek between the dinette and sink area although not as loud. I'm also getting one now in the hall by the bedroom and shower.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 07:52 AM   #55
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested

And Twink, this post's for you.

Nice post! Very detailed....also a lot of the things you posted about metal shavings and a number of other issues I exp with both the '03 Bambi and '04 Safari. On the shavings bit on the outside, I made a decison to wash the roof first and then change sponges to do the rest as the roof had a number of those pesky shavings that imbed into the sponge, which is hard to get all of it out and will scratch the shell. For those that wash the first few times yourself....uses several wash rags, sponges or whatever you use!

....I also have a lot of faith in the factory folks making it right after being there as well.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:55 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
It appears that all these posts should be going to Airstream.
I hope that is happening...I would like to purchase a 'new' unit, but maybe I should just keep my '93 Excella with no squeeks....or other any other problems...
I guess they built it better in the past...