Old 09-29-2004, 07:00 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
05 Floor squeak

TinHut ---you mentioned you have a squeak in the middle of the flooring. I would be interested in knowing if you also have a spongy floor in that area. We have an 04 & it has a squeak & spongy floor in front of the sink area
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 02:45 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Atlanta , Georgia
'05 28' int'l

We got our '05 28' International CCD in the middle of August and it is great! The first trip out here is what we noticed......

·There was a leak over the dinette in the awning side front vista window

·There was a leak over the stove in seam from the refrigerator to the window

·There was a leak in bedroom roadside front vista window

·There was a leak in seam over the power switch awning side in front of the door

·There was a broken bolt on the roadside rear stabilizer jack

·Shower door would not open/close easily and leaks from the front bottom channel

·There is a squeak in the floor by the dinette

·One of the cables holding the back compartment was not attached

·The wrong size dinette table is in the AS….must be out of a Bambi….too small

·The paint is missing, and there is a little rust on a couple of places on the tongue.

I will post the month/yr of manufacture on monday....since the AS is at the dealer getting the last of my problems fixed....hopefully.

Scott

Old 09-30-2004, 03:25 PM   #31
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
John, that is good news to hear. I know of a few folks that have the sliding drawer in transit issue.

Scott, I just don't know what to say. I'm glad you're happy, but I'm also a bit concerned. Mostly about all the leaks that you mentioned (minus the bathroom one as that is a known issue most have seen for years). The shell for the most part has been one of the best parts of the trailers. I know that a few folks have had leak issues, but I'd have to admit, you so far have the most I've ever heard about. It's hard to imagine that getting through the water testing machine I saw them using, leading me to wonder 2 things. One, it did leak and wasn't noticed or something happened in transit. Either way, glad to hear the dealer is able to help.

One thing about the dinette table, have you taken a look at the Airtream website floorplan page and confirmed that your table is not the spec listed on their website? I seem to recall the most of the larger CCD line having different size tables than their standard counterparts (Safari).
Old 09-30-2004, 03:37 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Atlanta , Georgia
re

I called Jim Parrett at as and gave him the list. He said that AS put out a Document on how to fix the leaks around the vista window...hopefully that will work. The first try before the dealer was notified of the instructions did not work (the window directly behind the door still leaked generously!) Mr. Parrett called to inform the dealer of the instructions.

I knew the table was wrong when I purchased it (2 months ago....still waiting for table ) because it "fell throught the gap" instead of resting on the seats to make a bed. When I told Mr. Parrett about this, he said that no request from the dealer was ever submitted....However the dealer did request the table...they even took measurements. The dealer said the reason AS didn't have record of it was because they were just gonna send another and "swap" it out....seems to me that it still should have been logged into a computer. Anyways, Mr. Parrett is having the table sent directly to me....whew!

From my conversations, I believe that the table error was AS's fault.
Old 09-30-2004, 03:40 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Atlanta , Georgia
oh yeah, it wouldn't have passed any water test when I got it...I sprayed it off for a second with a hose and went inside and it was clearly leaking.

Maybe AS "skipped" that test on mine, or is it possible that the caulking/vulkem would shrink that much while sitting at the dealer for only a couple of months?
Old 09-30-2004, 03:48 PM   #34
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I have had simialr exp in dealing with the factory. Very customer focused. It's hard to say about the leaks. This is the first year back in a while for the vista views. That could be a learning curve for them. The rest, who knows. All the units go through the water tester from what I understand. The caulk from eye level could have looked ok and tested fine, but when it was moved, it flexed beyond the amount that was installed and made an opening. It's hard to tell. I am glad that you are not having sheet metal seams leak. That would really concern me because when I watch them build them, they actually cake the inside part of the exterior panels with (I think) Silkaflex. Every actual outside wall penetration or seam is well sealed.

Please let us all now how the repairs go.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:04 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Atlanta , Georgia
Well, here we go. Took my AS in on Wed and picked it up Fri afternoon. All issues seem to be adequately addressed....With the exception that my dinette table is not here yet (the dealer offered to swap it with one on the lot, but I said I would wait since it is supposed to be on the way from AS). I guess I will find out if all is fixed when I go camping in the rain. ha!

I found out something interesting from the service dept when I called to check on my AS. He said that he was gonna have to fix the front vista window behind the door on all '05s that have them. I guess there was a problem installing that one at the factory. AS issued a bulletin on how to fix it. I dont know if they have contacted all dealers about it or not....it seems not because the dealer in my area didn't know until I contacted AS with my complaints. Anyways, for you other '05 owners with vista windows, I would call and check with AS to see if yours needs to be fixed. I spoke with Jim Parrett, but I suppose anyone in customer service could probably find out for you.

By the way, my 05 28' int'l ccd was completed 05/04. Hope this helps.

Scott
Old 10-04-2004, 06:21 AM   #36
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Scott, Glad to hear the issues have been or are being resolved. How did they fix the squeeking floor issue? Did they have to pull off the belly pan to fix it?
Old 10-04-2004, 08:04 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

Atlanta , Georgia
The squeak is still there. The dealer didn't know of a fix, and I dont know what could be done to fix it. I was told that AS would look at it, but it is not that big of deal to me to go all the way to Jackson. I just think it is from the wood on metal combo without anything on top or under to dampen the noise.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:05 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Jill/TinHut and all.

First thanks for sharing your observations of you 2005 Airstream.

If possible to help track issues, can you all post the build date of your coaches?
I finally picked up my 2005 25' CCD last Saturday for a test run. During our walkthrough we discovered a loud squeak in the floor next to the dinette bench toward the front. Other minor issues - scrapes and rust on the tongue and step (step looks a bit mangled and rusted), stripped screw heads, one hole in the awning is off-center so it is not possible to raise to highest level in the front and down a notch in the back for drainage (and boy, did we need drainage this week). It was a good week to test for leaks, and I did not find any.

The dealer will be addressing the squeak and the awning. We are on our own to repair existing rust and re-paint for future protection.

Manufactured 08/2004.

All in all I love it. A highway runs along-side the property we towed it down to and the sound of passing semis was more muted than when inside the house.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1019087_sm.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	9290  
Old 10-29-2004, 08:45 PM   #39
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Nice! Like the streetside awning and vista views! Have fun with it! Looks very sharp!
Old 10-29-2004, 09:23 PM   #40
Rivet Master

Pagosa Springs , Colorado
squeek

Sounds like many of have a squeek in the floor. My dealer told me that AS would not approve warranty on dropping the belly pans to fix the squeek. The dealer also felt uncomfortable getting so deep into it as well since they're a new dealer. The dealer agreed that it sounds like an old house rather than a new trailer. I'll have to discuss with AS. Those of you that have the squeek should also alert AS so that they don't chalk it up to an isololated problem.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 09:35 PM   #41
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
(snip) This is the first year back in a while for the vista views. That could be a learning curve for them. (snip)

FWIW I think it may be the window itself leaking? I had to purchase a replacement Vista View for my 1975 unit. I did not check it very carefully before installing it, if I had it would have been returned to the factory ASAP. The were air gaps in the sealant between glass and the frame. Unfortunately I had already installed it before I discovered it was leaking and I AM NOT going to remove and reinstall 57 more rivets. I contacted Airstream tech support and they reccomended resealing it with the ACRYL-R sealant. I am going to use Vulkem because that is what I have and have used on the others with good results.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 02:47 PM   #42
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Anyone else have a 2005, please post your findings, good, not so good or otherwise. It is important that you include the month and year-- since some 2005s are built in 2004 or manufacture.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote