Old 07-05-2004, 01:27 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Frozen Chosen:

You asked:

How did the factory "go out of their way" here? I'd expect them to do these repairs. Did you ask them what the heck is going on with QA/QC? What has happened to the new QA position we heard about? Do they think they are still making a quality product? Do they care? If so, how is this being demonstrated? Did you talk with anyone down on the floor? It is sounding like the problems voiced for the '03 and '04 model years continue. It seems we hear a lot about AS standing by their product, but very little as to how they plan on improving their quality.
=======

A couple items concened me about my trailer that were not probably concered defects, according to the way Airstream normally would build my trailer, but when I expressed a concern they fixed it. For example, the inside of my shower is normally left unfinished so you can see the rough edges of the shower and wood panelling. I mentioned that I thought it looked a bit rough, and they offered to trim it out, so it now looks 1st class.

Also, one of the Airstream managers made some temporary repairs to my vinyl flooring. I had planned to have the vinyl replaced later when I have more time, and intended to get some temporary repairs to it now. This fellow (I won't tell you his name lest others expect him to do the same for them!) made the repairs for me although this was not a normal part of his job.

I only heard a bit about the new quality function, but when I asked a couple questions, I understood it was still in the development process. Also, the plant has apparently hired many new people recently, so this probably makes instant perfect quality something to only dream about for the time being.
I also suggested that Airstream management should post answers here to these questions these questions; I know that a number of them read these comments. Wouldn't it be nice to get their answers to your questions firsthand?

John

Old 07-05-2004, 05:21 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

At the recent International Rally the President,Vice President of Engineering and Director of Quality stayed at the rally in an Airstream product . They also conducted question and answer sessions on suggested improvements as well quality concerns.
Customer concerns need to be addressed with the customer and not as a public event. I am suprised at how many people share problems on the forum that have not contacted Airstream. It sounds like Flyfisher has worked with the factory and is getting his concerns addressed; it would appear this provides better results.

Old 07-05-2004, 06:08 PM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Outside of a few folks, I would say this threads purpose is not as a vent, but as a tracking method. I think it is very approp to post the good with the bad on an open forum. This keeps everyone in the loop and can track potential issues or trends. I also feel that one must also deal with the factory and or a good dealer.

Good bad or indifferent, there should be nothing to hide that can't be said in the light of day.

I hope the Pres and entourage took random units off the line and stayed in them. Be great if they did what the the head of Thor is doing...taking his unit out on trips. There is where you'll find any (if there are) issues. Usually not just spending a night or two in them.

Although the factory folks are wonderful, some of the things that continue to come off the line are unbeliv. I will say that there has been improvement, but quality construction is a never ending journey.

At any rate, I disagree. I think if there are issues either way, we as a community should share as we are a community.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:35 PM   #18
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Just a bump to see if there are any 2005 unit owners out there that can share the build month/year and their observations of their 2005.
Old 09-26-2004, 07:36 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2003 33' Land Yacht 33
Fort Myers , Florida
2005 28 Classic

We have a 2005 Classic 28. We have had it for about two months. We picked it up in North Carolina and brought it home to North Central PA. The Power jack head blew up on the trip home. My guess is that someone did not set the limit switch correctly. Airstream doesn't make the jack, Barker Mfg. does, Airstream sent me a new head and I replaced it myself. No big deal.

The cabinet and nightstand drawers constantly open when traveling, Apparently this is a common problem that Airstream can't seem to fix but I'm working on a solution and if that does not work, I will plan a trip to Jackson Center next year with this and any other problem that might pop up.

We found about a 4" razor slit in the linoleum flooring at the bedroom door leading from the center bath. I presume this is one piece flooring and how this happens is pretty hard to understand. To me, the only way to fix this is to replace the entire floor which would would require a complete inside disassembly of the trailer as the tile runs under the cabinets etc. Correct me if I am wrong with that assesment. Someone tried to mitigate the damage with clear seam sealer but it is annoying to see it there. I've spoken with Jim Parrett at A/S about this and promised him a picture to put on file for the aforementioned Jackson Center trip.

One of the knurled knobs on the Zip Dee awning pulled out over the weekend rendering the awning inoperable. Again, Airstream doesn't make the awning and I will send the part back to Zip Dee for replacement. It's simple to install.

Other than the floor issue, we are delighted with the trailer, the new Vista view windows are way too cool, the new aluminum kitchen backsplash is very nice, the new Moen filter faucet is awesome, the reduction in blue striping is for the better, it tows nice and looks great!

We are quite pleased with it!
alvinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 08:22 PM   #20
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I think you may be right about the floor removal. We had a what appeared to be one or two small drill holes that were filled with some sort of caulk that made it hard to see until your foot went over it and it felt strange. To us, it was small.

We too had the power head on our unit go south (again, not an Airstream issue per se since they just installed it, they don't build 'em...but they do stand behind them, which is nice). It would blow a fuse each time I retracted it past a certain point. Since I found the point where I should not exceed when retracting it, I just placed a mark on the extension arm and it didn't blow anymore unless I didn't pay attention and retracted it too far. It's on a list for future work. Since it works (with above exception), I don't think I'll ask to have one sent.

One thing that I have noticed in talking with folks and reading about folks that have 2005s is that they seem to be off to an even better start than they were at last year...of course that's just my own observation and opinion having been an avid observer since late in 2003.
Old 09-26-2004, 10:05 PM   #21

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinator
The cabinet and nightstand drawers constantly open when traveling, Apparently this is a common problem that Airstream can't seem to fix but I'm working on a solution and if that does not work,
We are bringing in our Classic after the travel season to our dealer. This will be their third attempt on the kitchen drawers. I'm going to pull out a drawer on our next trip and try to figure out what the issue is. At this point I am minimally loading the drawers to keep the rails from bending in case the drawer slides out when towing.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 10:20 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
I Don't Get It

I don't understand why the factory is so careless with protecting the floors. It seems to be a common, very annoying on-going problem. Why don't they immedately put a protective cloth down on all floors after laying them that would protect from these dropped tools or what ever is making these gashes and cuts? seems like an easy problem to fix.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 08:22 AM   #23
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'm surprised that more 2005 folks haven't shared their findings. I seem to see a fair amount of model year 2004 issues here than actual info about the 2005 model year. I don't suppose moderators could cut some the clear 2004 posts and add them to the link below?

Keep in mind that the 2004 stuff should go over here, this thread is for folks with 2005s:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ead.php?t=7106
Old 09-27-2004, 09:10 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Portland , Oregon
I'll be picking up my 2005 25' Internation CCD in a couple of weeks and it arrived from the factory September 10 (I found it on the lot September 12). I have not had the full walk-through of how (and possibly "if") everything works, but I so far have noticed 2 cosmetic issues.

1) The shade on the rear window (bedroom) is not centered, so it overlaps the window lever on the right, with a gap between it and the lever on the left. I will mention this to the dealer, but don't know if they will (or even should) do anything about it.
2) Nick on the kitchen counter which has been poorly filled in. It caught my eye right away.

Neither of these really bother me, but as I read and see that QA/QC is a concern I'm probably looking for more defects. The shade might be an issue. With it as it is I will not be able to open the window without opening the shade first - probably something I don't want to do while dressed for bed.

Hopefully I have nothing to add after the full walk-through and trial run.

Jill
Old 09-27-2004, 09:16 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
2005 Quality

I've had my 2005 CCD 28' for about 3 months now & we really love it. Quality issues noted to date are:

There's a short in the antenna cable between the antenna and LCD tv. Unfortunately it's in the wall so inner panels may have to come off to find and fix. Obviously the cable was not tested before shipping. The dealer spotted it upon delivery and noted.

Was supposed to have metal valve stems, came with rubber. AS agreed to cover charge of installing metal stems although it means I have to remove four tires and go throught process of hoping they get them back on the same wheel and aligned to the hub since they're aluminum.

After reading several stories of new trailers losing wheels because of lack of grease I feel compelled to have them repacked just to make sure, even though it's new.

The furnace was mounted crooked & even the plate on the outside was crooked. The dealer fixed upon delivery.

The front curtain has a large brown stain all the way across. AS suggested to dealer to dry clean, if that doesn't work they'll replace.

The inside metal window frame by the dinette is bowed out. AS sending replacement.

Shower door leaked. I caulked myself and that worked.

The front window rock guards were loose and the screws were stripped out of the hole. Dealer fixed.

Loud squeek in middle of floor.

The wire rope that holds up the rear locker door goes right across the rubber gasket which will quickly cut it. I'll reposition the wires - not a quality thing, just bad design.

Of all these items, the only one that causes me heartburn is the need to pull inner panels on a new unit and hope more damage isn't done. The dealer has been very responsive and actually caught & fixed many of these issues prior to delivery. They're new to Airstream and told me they were surprised about so many of these issues that are sent on down the road.

Overall, I really like the design and once these things are fixed hopefully it'll be smooth sailing. IMHO, the Airstream Concept, and design is outstanding. The assembly and quality control of that assembly is where the problem is.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 10:06 AM   #26
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Jill/TinHut and all.

First thanks for sharing your observations of you 2005 Airstream.

If possible to help track issues, can you all post the build date of your coaches? The tag that contains the info is located on the streetside front. It looks like a small riveted piece of sheetmetal that is stamped with VIN, weight and date of manufac.

The reason I ask is that in last years thread we were looking at trends based on the date of manufacture.

Thanks and congrats on your new Airstream!
Old 09-29-2004, 08:35 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Mine rolled off the line late June, this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Jill/TinHut and all.

First thanks for sharing your observations of you 2005 Airstream.

If possible to help track issues, can you all post the build date of your coaches? The tag that contains the info is located on the streetside front. It looks like a small riveted piece of sheetmetal that is stamped with VIN, weight and date of manufac.

The reason I ask is that in last years thread we were looking at trends based on the date of manufacture.

Thanks and congrats on your new Airstream!

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 08:52 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
We are bringing in our Classic after the travel season to our dealer. This will be their third attempt on the kitchen drawers. I'm going to pull out a drawer on our next trip and try to figure out what the issue is. At this point I am minimally loading the drawers to keep the rails from bending in case the drawer slides out when towing.

Jack
Jack -

We had problems with a couple of our kitchen drawers coming open on our 2004 unit as well. The dealer and factory made some minor adjustments - I believe the dealer bent a couple of the tracks somehow - and they only rarely come open now.

Our rear twin nightstand drawer though was another issue. It got so bad that we had to put it on the floor before towing. However, I was just at the factory on Monday and it appears that drawer may have now been fixed. In addition to putting new tracks on, they added a plastic friction-type of latch at the top of the drawer. In order to do this, the service guy had to put an additional wood strip on the inside top of the cabinet so there was something to attach one part of the latch to - the other part is screwed onto the inside top of the drawer. Airstream also uses something the service guy called a bulldog latch that might have served the same purpose.

I towed from JC yesterday all the way back to our home near Lancaster, PA - must be over 500 miles - and the drawer stayed closed the entire trip for the first time.

John