Old 08-26-2005, 05:28 PM   #225
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
First big quality glitch

On the last trip, we stopped at a park with cable. No signal to the TV! When I looked under the credenza to make sure that the jumper was in the plate where the satelite receiver hooks in, no jumper. That's because there was no plate. Just unbroken wall carpet.

Somewhere behind the wall, behind the credenza, I suspect, are two coax ends. If I'm correct, one coax would hook up to the external connector in the electrical cord compartment; the other would hook up to the booster above the microwave. Both should terminate at the jumper plate.

Now comes the dillema as to whether to cart the trailer to the dealer and have them muck around or do it myself. I'll never use a satelite receiver, but I sure want working cable in this part of the world.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 09:32 PM   #226
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Roseville , California
Sorry, don't recall. I didn't think this one had a slideout.

Old 08-26-2005, 09:35 PM   #227
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Roseville , California
Talking with the guy, he had owned the trailer for about a year but this was his first major trip.

Shows it is a good idea to get that puppy out for some exercise early in your ownership, while the dealership still remembers you.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:27 AM   #228
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Cable TV foulup

While the trailer was at the dealer, we checked and they talked to Airstream. Sure enough, they forgot to install the satellite jumper under the credenza when they built the trailer and the cable is not usable.

I hoped that the hole was in the aluminum behind the wall carpet, but I poked all over and there is no give anywhere, so there is no hole there. There is the requisite 3 coaxes on the booster plate above the microwave, so the coax ends should be behind the wall.

The nasty part is that to get any working room, the credenza and table must be removed. I'll probably do it myself and the dealer will get me the parts. I figure I will have to cut a fair sized hole to get room to fish for the cables.

Hopefully, the cables are in front of the isulation and not buried.
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-28-2005, 07:45 AM   #229
Craftsman

John, maybe Airstream should reimburse you for your time. What is their normal shop? rate?
Old 08-28-2005, 08:00 AM   #230
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
John, maybe Airstream should reimburse you for your time. What is their normal shop? rate?
I doubt that they would be so generous. If I can get the parts, I will be content.

Mainly, I would rather do things like carefully unload, remove, and replace the credenza/table and dig in the walls myself than have someone else do it. We have a good dealer and I have a good relationship with them, but no one treats your property better than yourself.

They just put power in my stall at the storage yard, so now I can work in air conditioed comfort and I don't have to schlepp the generator over there to run my tools.
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-28-2005, 08:54 AM   #231
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
John, at least on mine the put the plate for the jumper cable. However, my TV antenna cable didn't work. We found it had a short somewhere between the antenna and the outlet, meaing in the walls. Fortunately, my dealer spent over 2 hours patiently pulling through a new cable from the antenna, down the wall, above the door, and then down to the outlet, all without pulling off inner panels. If someone at the factory would have just plugged things in to make sure it all works that would've been caught. In your case, if they would've looked under the table they'd have seen they forgot something.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 10:34 AM   #232
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Hut
If someone at the factory would have just plugged things in to make sure it all works that would've been caught. In your case, if they would've looked under the table they'd have seen they forgot something.
I wonder if Airstream has a final inspection before shipment? If they do, something isn't getting checked very thoroughly.

One of the things I appreciated with the former SOB trailer I owned before getting my Airstream was that there was a check-off and inspection sheet included with the owner's manual that listed about 50 different processes/systems, with the persons' initials who had inspected and approved those parts of the trailer when it was being manufactured.

John
Old 08-28-2005, 12:52 PM   #233
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB International
Petaluma , California
It has finally gotten cold enough at nights where we are camping that we started using the Atwood forced air heating unit supplied with our AS. I noticed that the air coming out of the round vent in the lavatory supplies only cool air, not warm/hot air like the other vents. Is that actually an intake vent? I tested to see which way air was flowing and it seemed to be flowing out of the vent, not into it. If it supposed to be an output vent, then it appears that this vent is not properly connected to our heating unit. hmmmm....
Titus Moto Lite, Nerve Cruiser
Mike, Angela, the kiddies & 10 yr old puppy, Kenzie, our Golden Retriever and best friend ever
sarmimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 03:18 PM   #234
_

. , .
sarmimi

it does appear that the air vent isn't connected at the furnace end....or was and came loose during travel. fresh air intake is floor level right at the furnace...an open kick plate area under the kitchen cabinets in mine.

find your furnace (under the stove/galley drawers in mine) location.....open the doors/pull out the drawers.....poke your head in with a flashlight. if you're lucky you'll find the furnace and the un connected outlet without needed to unscrew any panels....slip the duct on outlet and secure it with .........
you guessed it, finally the correct usage.......duct tape!!!

fly
each time i've toured the factory i've noted the 'checklist' of items you mention.....i've even photographed the lists (on my unit and others) and plan to post the lists some time.......it's about 50 pages on the airstreams too. and i agree they should give us a copy in the owners manual.....i wonder if they'd send it to an owner that requested it????

sometimes they are pretty funny like on mine it had "carpet installed correctly to the walls, no loose edges or seams"......when my trailer was special ordered WITHOUT carpet. also i saw a brand new quicksilver bambi, last week at the exit door....the check list include the item "awning missing" and sure enough the end struts were on the trailer but the cloth/cylinder was absent.....this unit was literaly out the factory door! these 16fts are so short that it looked like someone forgot to reload the t.p. holder.

cheers
2air'
Old 08-28-2005, 08:13 PM   #235
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB International
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
it does appear that the air vent isn't connected at the furnace end....or was and came loose during travel. fresh air intake is floor level right at the furnace...an open kick plate area under the kitchen cabinets in mine.

find your furnace (under the stove/galley drawers in mine) location.....open the doors/pull out the drawers.....poke your head in with a flashlight. if you're lucky you'll find the furnace and the un connected outlet without needed to unscrew any panels....slip the duct on outlet and secure it with .........
you guessed it, finally the correct usage.......duct tape!!!
2air - Thanks! I'll check out my unit and try to reconnect myself. Hopefully, it'll do the trick...if not, you'll see another post from me later on!
Titus Moto Lite, Nerve Cruiser
Mike, Angela, the kiddies & 10 yr old puppy, Kenzie, our Golden Retriever and best friend ever
sarmimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 11:30 AM   #236
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
On the way to being fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
Sure enough, they forgot to install the satellite jumper under the credenza when they built the trailer and the cable is not usable.
I removed the credenza and used my sonic stud finder to explore the wall. I found a horizontal and a vertical rib in the area. A call to jim Parrett at Airstream ttold me that the cables should be in the NE quadrant as I faced the wall.

I cut a small hole that would be covered by the jumper plate and tried unsucessfully to fish the wires out with a bent clothes hanger. I then enlarged the hole to 4" x 4" so I could get my hand in. Sure enough, the coaxes were there, glued tightly to the wall by the adhesive used to keep the insulation from slipping down.

I called Jim Parrett again and he is shipping me the jumper and plate along with a 6" x 6" aluminum patch that I can pop-rivet in place and some wall cloth to heal up the wound.

I am really pleased with Jim's response. It is a lot easier than my having to tow the trailer to the dealer again and it cost a lot less for Airstream in the long run to let me fix the problem.
WBCCI #9632
Old 11-29-2005, 09:15 PM   #237
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
Centerville , Utah
2005 30'SO Classic Problems

Since taking delivery on Feb. 28, 2005 (9 months ago), we have used the trailer a total of 8 short trips, for a total of 53 days.
During this 9 month period, the trailer has been in repair 8 times, for a total of 96 days (counting today, since it is still at the dealer for a yet unknown amount of time.

Because of the inordinate number and scope of problems we have encountered with this unit, we are considering the feasibility of a legal remedy agoainst Airstream and the Dealer - possibly attempting to turn the trailer back for a full refund. If anyone has had any experience in this area, I would appreciate comments and suggestions.

My current problem summary is shown below.
AIRSTREAM PROBLEM/REPAIR SUMMARY

1. “Brush Marks” in clearcoat exterior finish.
Reported on 3/18 and 4/30/2005
Action: Airstream had Dealer wax the surface to “hide” marks.
Status: Still unresolved, as marks still show, but Airstream claims marks are “normal.”
  • Black-Water Tank Valve Problems – Manufacturing debris in tank obstructing valve.
Reported on 3/18, 5/26, and 10/16/2005
Action: Owner and dealer each purged tank several times, cleaning out floor cutouts, plastic plumbing parts, etc., and dealer finally changed out the drain valve.
Status: Partially resolved. Debris appears to be removed from tank, but valve is still difficult to close completely.

3. Entry Door requires excessive “slamming” in order to get latched.
Reported on 3/18, 9/5, and 10/16/2005
Action: Dealer attempted to adjust door latches.
Status: Still unresolved. Door still as difficult as ever to close.

4. Windows difficult to open. Requires a second person going outside and prying on the window while the other person works the opening mechanism.
Reported on 3/18/2005
Action: Dealer checked and attempted to get to work more freely.

5. 110-volt Electrical System Problems:
A. Short to trailer skin/chassis, causing electrical shock when touching trailer while standing on ground.
Reported on 8/22/2005
Action: Dealer replaced 30-amp cable to generator receptacle, which was found to be shorted to ground.
Status: Possibly resolved, as no further “shocks” have been experienced.
B. Excessive Power sometimes required to run appliances such as microwave, coffee maker, ceramic space heater, etc.
Reported on 10/16/2005
Action: Dealer unable to duplicate problem.
C. 110-volt momentary power loss to trailer when microwave shuts off.
Reported on 11/02/2005
Action: Dealer presently troubleshooting.

• Water Pump cycles-on momentarily intermittently, is very noisy at times, and pumps in “spurts” rather than the normal steady stream at times.
Reported on 5/11, 5/26, 6/13, 8/22, 9/5, 10/5, and 10/16/2005.
Action: Dealer has replaced and adjusted pump.
  • When slideout is retracted after a rain, water runs off of slide onto carpet.
Reported on 5/11, 5/26, 6/13, and 10/16
Action: Dealer attempted to solve, but unsuccessfully.
  • When in hot-weather conditions, a loud “pop” occurs intermittently as the trailer heats up, then cools with the air conditioner.
Reported on 5/25 and 6/13/2005.
Action: Dealer could not duplicate problem.
  • System Level/Status Monitor reads incorrectly.
Reported on 3/18, 5/26, 6/13, 8/22, 9/5, and 10/16/2005.
Action: Dealer has replaced monitor assy. 2 times, and is currently troubleshooting further.
  • Several Drawers difficult to open.
Reported on 3/20/2005
Action: Dealer checked, but did not solve problem.
  • Decrative wallpaper strip in bath wrinkles and comes loose from wall.
Reported on 3/20, 5/26, 8/22, and 10/16.
Action: Dealer is presently scheduled to replace for the 4th time.
  • Interior mirrors do not stay secure in mountings.
Reported on 8/22.
Action: Dealer attempted to secure better by bending “hold tabs.”
  • Water seeps onto floor from either under or around shower stall.
Reported on 3/18, 9/5, and 10/16/2005.
Action: Dealer applied sealant around shower, and is troubleshooting further.

• Wood security “latch block” on rear side of slideout does not seat properly.
Reported on 3/20/2005.
Action: Dealer checked, but could not repair due to being a design flaw.
  • Refrigerator flame will not stay lit when treaveling.
Reported on 3/18.
Action: Dealer unsuccessfully adjusted the enclosure around flame. Owner installed furnace filter inside access door.
  • 12-volt Breaker Box Latch broken.
Reported on 9/5 and 10/16/2005.
Action: Presently in repair.
  • Sofa leather around drawer latch coming loose.
Reported on 3/18 and 10/16/2005.
Action: Presently in repair for second time.
  • Carpet being pulled loose by slideout operation.
Reported on 10/17/2005.
  • Dining Table Leg extends over edge of slideout, instead of staying on slideout floor as it should.
Reported on 10/16/2005.
  • One of the Dinette Seat Cushions is sagging on the edge.
Reported on 11/2/2005.
  • Padding under Dinette Frame Upholstery is coming loose and sagging.
Reported on 11.2/2005.

• Fresh Water Tank Leaked.
Reported on 8/2/2005.
Action: Dealer resealed tank drain plug.
  • Several Windows had sealer/glue on their surfaces.
Reported on 3/18 and 8/22/2005.
Action: Dealer removed and cleaned.
  • Shower Door had manufacturing flaws and latch was broken.
Reported on 3/18/2005.
Action: Dealer replaced assembly.
  • Tear in Leather Sofa.
Reported on 3/18/2005.
Action: Dealer had leather shop repair done.
  • Vinyl Headliner came loose and hung down from ceiling.
Reported on 3/18/2005.
Action: Dealer secured the liner again.
  • Water leaked onto floor below air conditioner.
Reported on 3/18/2005.
Action: Dealer installed new gasket around A/C.
  • Base Floor Molding came loose.
Reported on 3/18, 5/26, and 6/13/2005.
Action: Dealer appears to have adequately cemented on 3rd attempt.
  • Carpeted wall covering on slideout was poorly installed – having wrinkles and “bubbles”.
Reported on 3/18/2005.
Action: Dealer reinstalled.
  • Entry Steps would not stay latched in the “travel” position.
Reported on 3/18/2005.
Action: Dealer replaced step assy.
  • Front Window Awning/Protective Cover came apart.
Reported on 8/22/2005.
Action: Dealer replaced entire assembly.
  • Trailer brakes pulled to one side.
Reported 3/18/2005.
Action: Dealer adjusted brakes.
  • Window Frame on kitchen window screen had frame collapsed.
Reported on 8/22/2005.
Action: Dealer replaced screen assy.
  • Toilet Mounting to floor became loose.
Reported on 3/18/2005.
Action: Dealer replaced stripped mounting screws.
  • Trailer ID plate showed incorrect GVWR.
Reported on 3/18/2005.
Action: Airstream sent revised/corrected plate.
  • Entry Door Deadbolt malfunctioned in the “locked” position such that no access could be gained into trailer.
Reported on 5/11/2005.
Action: Dealer replaced door lock assy.
  • Kitchen and Living Room area “flooded” after trailer was exposed to rain.
Reported on 5/11/2005.
Action: Dealer replaced defective gasket around furnace. Only half of gasket had been installed at factory.
Status: Resolved, except floor and carpet exposed to significant water.
  • Slideout rubber weather seal came loose.
Reported on 5/26/2005.
Action: Dealer re-installed and cemented.
  • Electric Tonque Jack inoperative.
Reported on 5/11 and 6/13/2005.
Action: Dealer replaced jack assy.
Status: Resolved after a second visit for proper adjustment, which was not done on initial install.
  • Day/Night Blinds would not raise/lower properly.
Reported on 5/26/2005.
Action: Dealer adjusted blinds.
  • Front Electric Stabilizer Jack malfunctioned.
Reported on 5/26, 6/13, and 8/2/2005.
Action: Dealer finally replaced the jack assy.
  • Trim Strip on Entry Door had peeled surface.
Reported on 5/26 and 6/13/2005.
Action: Dealer replaced twice. (First replacement was worse than original.)
  • Light above kitchen sink inop.
Reported on 5/26 and 6/13/2005.
Action: Dealer replaced light assy.
  • L.P. Detector malfunctioned.
Reported on 6/13/2005.
Action: Dealer replaced detector assy.
  • Drawers on either side of bed would not stay closed when traveling.
Reported on 6/13 and 8/22/2005.
Action: Dealer installed a second latch on each.

Old 11-29-2005, 10:30 PM   #238
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
I have/had many of these same issues with my 2004 30' model, so I really sympathize with you.

Have you spoken with Dave Schumann at the factory? Although my contacts with him have not always been the most positive, I would suggest you talk with him if you have not yet done so before taking any legal actions.

For what it's worth, I've copied the issues you listed that I also have/had with on my trailer. I've had some of these issues fixed -- if you want to send me a private email, or wish to compare notes on the telephone, please do so. I'd be happy to discuss them with you further.

Here's your list of problems that I've also had:

“Brush Marks” in clearcoat exterior finish. (Mine had significant scratches)
Black-Water Tank Valve Problems
Entry Door requires excessive “slamming” in order to get latched.
Windows difficult to open. (Mine were difficult to close)
Water Pump cycles-on momentarily intermittently, is very noisy at times, and pumps in “spurts” rather than the normal steady stream at times.
When in hot-weather conditions, a loud “pop” occurs intermittently as the trailer heats up, then cools with the air conditioner.

Several Drawers difficult to open.

Decrative wallpaper strip in bath wrinkles and comes loose from wall.

Interior mirrors do not stay secure in mountings.
Water seeps onto floor from either under or around shower stall.
Padding under Dinette Frame Upholstery is coming loose and sagging. (Mine was not completely stiched, and the fabric has now bled through from the red color on underside)
Several Windows had sealer/glue on their surfaces.
Shower Door had manufacturing flaws
Vinyl Headliner came loose and hung down from ceiling.
Base Floor Molding came loose.
Toilet Mounting to floor became loose.
Entry Door Deadbolt malfunctioned in the “locked” position such that no access could be gained into trailer. (Mine would not lock - just the opposite problem as yours)
Drawers on either side of bed would not stay closed when traveling. (I have the twin bed model so I just have one drawer to contend with)

John