Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2013, 07:42 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
College Place , Washington
2000-2004 25 Safari inquest

I am considering hunting down a 1998-2004 25' Safari, are there any known issues that I should avoid or fix immediately? IE Frame issues, etc.

Thanks,
-Dwight
morgandc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
When I got mine it was leaking at the caulk joints around the rear window and the joints around roof openings had been neglected too. So lack of maintainence is one issue on trailers of that age.
If the tires have not been replaced they should have been. Check the date code on the tires.
I have heard of a few having cracks in the frames in the area where the axels attach.
Use the inspectors check list you can find on this forum to give you a more comprehensive list of things to look for.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Dwight,
Our friends have a '99 Safari 25 which they dearly love. They were even tempted by a 28 three weeks ago and passed in favor of their 25. Alan is correct, of course, and any AS can be a dream or a nightmare depending on how it was maintained up to the moment you buy it. Besides looking here on the Classifieds, don't neglect to look at RVs For Sale On RV Trader® - New and Used Fleetwood,Airstream,Winnebago,Keystone,Forest River,Newmar RVs and More-RVTrader.com where you can filter for AS. Caulk is easy to fix and tire are easy to replace. Be sure you get a working demo of the mechanical systems.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
We have a 2002 Safari 25 with the rear queen. We both really love it. It is a good size for a couple. I agree with the previous two replays. I would add that you need to check around the inside perimeter of the floor for signs of damp or rot. A handheld moisture meter would be a very handy tool for inspecting an Airstream for leaks or floor rot. I bought my moisture meter on Amazon for about $25. It will probe through carpet or vinyl.

The windows in our Safari are not fancy as compared to a new Airstream. But, they work very well and I have not had any problems with them leaking. So I am extremely happy with our plain and simple windows.

The original air conditioner on ours was an 11,000 btu unit with built in controls. It was barely marginal in the summer on days that we traveled all day and then tried to cool the trailer at night. Sitting still all day in a camp site with some shade was fine for the air conditioner. We swapped to a 15,000 btu heat pump last summer.

Routine maintenance issues we have had: tires, brakes, bearings, caulking, door adjustment, door gaskets.

We also removed the old carpet and installed a combination of carpet and engineered flooring.

I believe my wife would hire a hit man to eliminate me if I ever spoke of selling or trading our Airstream.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:44 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Bought our 2001 25SS Safari 5 years ago (used). No problems at all except for some minor corrosion and very limited flaking of the clearcoat on the end caps. It's now over 10 years old and we're very happy -- planning on keeping it another 10 years until retirement ... at least.
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote