Old 04-15-2012, 11:29 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
2007 20' Safari SE
Boston , Massachusetts
20' Safari/Flying Cloud interior setup

Hi all,

New Forum member here. I've been looking at TT's for the past several months, and have decided I want a relatively late-model Airstream in the 20-foot range. I'm a fairly serious cook, which has pushed me toward the setup in the current Flying Cloud 20, which has a large rear galley with lots of counter space. This floorplan is perfect for my needs.

However, I don't want to buy new -- I would prefer something 5-15 years old (i.e., with most of the initial depreciation hit already taken by someone else ). I know that this particular interior setup is in the FC 20 from '09 forward, and was in the Safari SE 20 for a couple of years before that. But I haven't been able to figure out how far back this goes, or whether any other prior models have a similar floorplan. Anyone have some insight?

Also, I've gotten advice to avoid model years 2005-2009 because of quality issues, particularly leaks at the front pano windows and the rear storage area. Would you agree with that assessment?

HermitCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
The 20' was introduced in the 2007 model year which began in mid May 2006. It only has one floor plan.

Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
2008 20' Safari

After looking at different sizes and floor plans my wife and I decided that we preferred the rear kitchen floor plan. We were fortunate and located a one owner 2008 20' Safari. The unit was originally purchased in late 2009 and the owner "traded up" in early 2011. We purchased the unit in April 2011. The purchase price was substantially less than the price of a new 20' Flying Cloud. Our unit does not have the pano front windows. So far we have not had any leaks and the overall quality seems good. Not sure what year but the Flying Cloud has replaced the Safari model.
Welcome to the forum and Good luck your search!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Safari.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	155848   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kitchen.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	155849  

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
You might go to theAirstreamfactory site, they have floor plans for almost every AS made. jim
1984 Avion 30p 9.1 meter. 2006 Dodge 3500 cummins srw short bed crew cab.
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:01 PM   #5
2007 20' Safari SE
San Antonio , Texas
I purchased a new 2007 Safari 20 LS/SE in February 2007. As far as I know, that was the first year for this floor plan, which has not changed since. I believe for a few years before that Airstream produced a Safari 22, which had a similar galley arrangement. However, it had tandem axles, a "longitudinal" bed up front and a wet bath in the left rear corner. I don't know if the Safari 22 experienced the same frame issues as I've read about on the International 22 from the same era.

I really enjoy the galley counter space in mine. The "wrap-around" design also provides a lot of useable storage under the counter in the right rear corner. I also appreciate the comparatively large bath, particularly the shower. The corner shower in the 19, 20 & 23-foot models is roomier than the ones on the larger floor plans these days (except, perhaps, the Classic 31 and 34.)

I've traveled much of the country in mine over the past 5 years. I've had no problems that could be attributed to poor quality on Airstream's part. Mine has the pano windows, but they have never leaked. About the only major issue I've had on mine has been tire failure, which, like many on this forum, I have solved with 16" Michelin LTX tires.

I have considered replacing mine with a 23' Airstream to give me a little more living area. However, in doing so, I would give up the great features of my 20 I just mentioned in order to do so. And, as popular as they seem to be, I am no fan of the current floor plans that force you to construct a "nest" out of the dinette area in order to have a comfortable place to relax and take in a movie. So, it looks like a larger Airstream is not in my future, which is OK by me. My Safari 20 is paid for and has many years of life left in it.
DLM is offline   Reply With Quote