Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2005, 07:00 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to Rivetedude
1970's History Lesson Please?

Hello all. I just read a thread (New Vintage Owner) about one of our members just making a purchase of a '79 Ambassador. I have a '72 Ambassador and the thread listings under Ambassador list them as early as '59.

Now a guy at the Airstream Homecoming told me that the Ambassador was a rare breed of Land Yacht. I only saw one other at the homecoming and I haven't seen that many in here and it kind of re-enforces what this gentleman told me, but if Airstream made Ambassadors for at least 20 years, there should be tons of them!

Maybe Fred Coldwell might oblige by chiming in here, but what I'd really like to know is a little history about the 70's Airstreams and the Ambassador along with the other models (Sovereign, Overlander, Excella, Safari, and Tradewind) made in the 70's.

What kind of numbers was Airstream putting out on these models in the 70's? What made them different from each other?

Any information anyone might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx!

Go US Coast Guard!!!

"Keep You're Tin in the Wind"

My Photos
My MySpace!

Rivetedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 07:44 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Ben, the Ambassador was not as plentiful as the other models. It was a tad shorter than desired for the "park it and live in it" crowd, and too long for the vacationers. The reason relatively more seem to be out there now, is that the ones that were built, tended to not be used as much, and so are in better shape.AFAIK, Airstream considers production numbers proprietary, so actual real numbers may be tough to come by, especially year by year.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Why in the heck are production numbers proprietary?????? Jeez, what does Airstream think people are going to do with that info?

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 03:55 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayL82
Why in the heck are production numbers proprietary?????? Jeez, what does Airstream think people are going to do with that info?

Frederic
It shows how many trailers they made, and can be used to see how much money they made/lost.
Imagine having to send out your personal financial statements to anyone every time someone was curious about how much you made last year?
Old 11-10-2005, 04:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Thor Industries is a publicly traded company, on the NYSE. Their symbol is THO. They have to release their financial statements anyway, so I still don't see how releasing how many Airstreams they made each year affects their financial disclosure.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 11-10-2005, 05:22 PM   #6
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
I agree with Frederic, financial statements are easily obtainable for any publicly traded company. I don't understand the mystery with this part of the history of a great company. Many have written about this weird qwirk of corporate secrecy.

In fact, I suspect that Airstream (or Thor) could make a few bucks if they were to publish this information in the form of a book or other publication "for sale" and "properly copywrited". From searching their website, they seem more than willing to provide safety information (thankfully) and sales information (Uhhhhh....). Why not celebrate the rich history of a wonderful company by telling your story, over and over again? Marketing people always ask "what is your company's greatest asset"? Their answer always seems to be "your brand". Cool, let us know about it,over and over again. That's what advertisers are paid big bucks for, isn't it?

Just my two cents. Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 05:49 PM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
2004 Annual Report

Here is a link to last years Annual Report.

http://www.thorindustries.com/corpor...nualReport.pdf

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 05:51 PM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Sounds like the US Navy submarines. They will move "over 20 knots" and "deeper than 200 feet".
Old 11-10-2005, 06:39 PM   #9
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
I agree with Frederic, financial statements are easily obtainable for any publicly traded company. I don't understand the mystery with this part of the history of a great company. Many have written about this weird qwirk of corporate secrecy.

In fact, I suspect that Airstream (or Thor) could make a few bucks if they were to publish this information in the form of a book or other publication "for sale" and "properly copywrited". From searching their website, they seem more than willing to provide safety information (thankfully) and sales information (Uhhhhh....). Why not celebrate the rich history of a wonderful company by telling your story, over and over again? Marketing people always ask "what is your company's greatest asset"? Their answer always seems to be "your brand". Cool, let us know about it,over and over again. That's what advertisers are paid big bucks for, isn't it?

Just my two cents. Jim

Hey, Chevrolet does it with the Corvette....it's called the Corvette Black Book. It lists production numbers, colors, options.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 11-10-2005, 07:42 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Here is a link to last years Annual Report.

http://www.thorindustries.com/corpor...nualReport.pdf
...and not a single Airstream trailer shown. Hmpt!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 07:50 PM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
...and not a single Airstream trailer shown. Hmpt!

Shari
And not a single line that says "Total number of units sold" anywhere. Lots of $$$ shown, but no quantities sold.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:20 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
It actually is publicized, but only dealers see it. We receive a report of how many units each mfg sells per month, quarter, year, etc. It shows actual hard numbers. Like right now, Coachmen has the best selling Class C motorhome in the country by a landslide. I don't have the report handy to tell you the exact numbers, I think I threw it out, but I don't think it's really "classified".

We get them from our MFG's so they can show us how good they are doing and build our confidence in the product.

Go US Coast Guard!!!

My Photos
My MySpace!

Old 11-11-2005, 08:32 AM   #13
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
In the case of the older trailers it may be a matter of non existent or lost records....but they must have some idea of total production or they wouldn't be able to substantiate the claim that 60% of all Airstreams ever built are still on the road....

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 08:45 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Oh trust me, they know the numbers. The company would be a fool if it didn't have on record every single trailer that's rolled off it's line. That's how they improve on their product, by knowing which models sold the most numbers, in which floorplan, in which color, etc.

I assure you, they have the records.

Go US Coast Guard!!!

My Photos
My MySpace!

Old 11-11-2005, 10:14 AM   #15
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivetedude
Oh trust me, they know the numbers. The company would be a fool if it didn't have on record every single trailer that's rolled off it's line. That's how they improve on their product, by knowing which models sold the most numbers, in which floorplan, in which color, etc.

I assure you, they have the records.
Yes, they do. It's just getting hold of that info from the outside, that is tough. (cue theme music from "mission:impossible").
RL Polk keeps track of vehicle registrations, but I wouldn't know how to get info direct from them.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:33 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
I just talked to my manager and he said that license plate registrations are public record and you can find the numbers that way. Of course you can't look the plate up and see who bought it and where they live, but you could probably get make and model info.

Go US Coast Guard!!!

My Photos
My MySpace!

Old 11-11-2005, 10:39 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivetedude
... Now a guy at the Airstream Homecoming told me that the Ambassador was a rare breed of Land Yacht. I only saw one other at the homecoming and I haven't seen that many in here and it kind of re-enforces what this gentleman told me, but if Airstream made Ambassadors for at least 20 years, there should be tons of them!

Maybe Fred Coldwell might oblige by chiming in here, but what I'd really like to know is a little history about the 70's Airstreams and the Ambassador along with the other models (Sovereign, Overlander, Excella, Safari, and Tradewind) made in the 70's. What kind of numbers was Airstream putting out on these models in the 70's? What made them different from each other? Any information anyone might have would be greatly appreciated. Thanx!
Ben: I haven't yet studied the 1970s Airstreams, so know little about them. But a source about 3 hours away from you should have production numbers for 1970s Airstreams.

Drive over to the RV/MH Heritage Museum in Elkhart, IN. In their upstairs library, they should have copies of all 1970's annual "The Mobile Home Market Report", the RV industry equivalent of the automotive "blue books" for used vehicles. Many times these Reports list manufacturer model year production by trailer length. That's where I'd look to find out how many Ambassadors were built during the 1970s compared to other Airstream models.

If you or anyone else gets up there, please photocopy those pages, mail me copies, and I'll reimburse you. It's a long 2 day drive each way from Denver for me to research that data.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 10:48 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind
Ben: I haven't yet studied the 1970s Airstreams, so know little about them. But a source about 3 hours away from you should have production numbers for 1970s Airstreams.

Drive over to the RV/MH Heritage Museum in Elkhart, IN. In their upstairs library, they should have copies of all 1970's annual "The Mobile Home Market Report", the RV industry equivalent of the automotive "blue books" for used vehicles. Many times these Reports list manufacturer model year production by trailer length. That's where I'd look to find out how many Ambassadors were built during the 1970s compared to other Airstream models.

If you or anyone else gets up there, please photocopy those pages, mail me copies, and I'll reimburse you. It's a long 2 day drive each way from Denver for me to research that data.
If I get up that way, I'd be happy to do that for you. I didn't even know there was a museum there, and I've been there several times for Monaco and Georgie Boy training.

I have no idea if I'll be this close in the next couple months though with joining the Coast Guard and all. Who knows, maybe I'll be closer than I am now. Maybe I'll even be near Denver. I know a guy there who owes me a cup of coffee!

Go US Coast Guard!!!

My Photos
My MySpace!

Old 11-11-2005, 01:10 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
I found the place here:

http://rv-mh-hall-of-fame.org/

Looks like a pretty cool place to visit. They've got lots of exhibits.

Go US Coast Guard!!!

My Photos
My MySpace!