Old 11-11-2005, 11:14 AM   #15
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivetedude
Oh trust me, they know the numbers. The company would be a fool if it didn't have on record every single trailer that's rolled off it's line. That's how they improve on their product, by knowing which models sold the most numbers, in which floorplan, in which color, etc.

I assure you, they have the records.
Yes, they do. It's just getting hold of that info from the outside, that is tough. (cue theme music from "mission:impossible").
RL Polk keeps track of vehicle registrations, but I wouldn't know how to get info direct from them.

Old 11-11-2005, 11:33 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to Rivetedude
I just talked to my manager and he said that license plate registrations are public record and you can find the numbers that way. Of course you can't look the plate up and see who bought it and where they live, but you could probably get make and model info.

Go US Coast Guard!!!

"Keep You're Tin in the Wind"

My Photos
My MySpace!

Rivetedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 11:39 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivetedude
... Now a guy at the Airstream Homecoming told me that the Ambassador was a rare breed of Land Yacht. I only saw one other at the homecoming and I haven't seen that many in here and it kind of re-enforces what this gentleman told me, but if Airstream made Ambassadors for at least 20 years, there should be tons of them!

Maybe Fred Coldwell might oblige by chiming in here, but what I'd really like to know is a little history about the 70's Airstreams and the Ambassador along with the other models (Sovereign, Overlander, Excella, Safari, and Tradewind) made in the 70's. What kind of numbers was Airstream putting out on these models in the 70's? What made them different from each other? Any information anyone might have would be greatly appreciated. Thanx!
Ben: I haven't yet studied the 1970s Airstreams, so know little about them. But a source about 3 hours away from you should have production numbers for 1970s Airstreams.

Drive over to the RV/MH Heritage Museum in Elkhart, IN. In their upstairs library, they should have copies of all 1970's annual "The Mobile Home Market Report", the RV industry equivalent of the automotive "blue books" for used vehicles. Many times these Reports list manufacturer model year production by trailer length. That's where I'd look to find out how many Ambassadors were built during the 1970s compared to other Airstream models.

If you or anyone else gets up there, please photocopy those pages, mail me copies, and I'll reimburse you. It's a long 2 day drive each way from Denver for me to research that data.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 11:48 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind
Ben: I haven't yet studied the 1970s Airstreams, so know little about them. But a source about 3 hours away from you should have production numbers for 1970s Airstreams.

Drive over to the RV/MH Heritage Museum in Elkhart, IN. In their upstairs library, they should have copies of all 1970's annual "The Mobile Home Market Report", the RV industry equivalent of the automotive "blue books" for used vehicles. Many times these Reports list manufacturer model year production by trailer length. That's where I'd look to find out how many Ambassadors were built during the 1970s compared to other Airstream models.

If you or anyone else gets up there, please photocopy those pages, mail me copies, and I'll reimburse you. It's a long 2 day drive each way from Denver for me to research that data.
If I get up that way, I'd be happy to do that for you. I didn't even know there was a museum there, and I've been there several times for Monaco and Georgie Boy training.

I have no idea if I'll be this close in the next couple months though with joining the Coast Guard and all. Who knows, maybe I'll be closer than I am now. Maybe I'll even be near Denver. I know a guy there who owes me a cup of coffee!

Go US Coast Guard!!!

My Photos
My MySpace!

Old 11-11-2005, 02:10 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
I found the place here:

http://rv-mh-hall-of-fame.org/

Looks like a pretty cool place to visit. They've got lots of exhibits.

Go US Coast Guard!!!

My Photos
My MySpace!