Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Marketplace > For Sale & Wanted
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-10-2003, 05:43 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Wanted - Bambi Or Smaller AS

Still have the 79-31' but we are in the market for a Bambi (or smaller AS trailer - no >22'). I want to have something that my son & I can use for short trips around the Pac. NW/Canada (he plays hockey year round and our travels frequently take us to SK & AB Canada). Hauling the 31' for just the 2 of us doesn't make much sense. Looking for something in fairly decent shape that will not require too much work to become road worthy. ANy assistance appreciated.

Montanaandy
Old 07-10-2003, 05:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
There's a '61 Bambi on ebay right now...and it's in Montana. Good luck if you decide to bid ~

Shari
Old 07-10-2003, 06:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Bambi's not the only game in town

And if you find the Bambi prices to be unpalatable, consider the Caravels from 1965-1968. They are Bambis with better (IMHO) layouts, while usually much cheaper and in greater supply. I saw some on airstream.net just last week, and there's also one on eBay.

-- RL
Old 07-10-2003, 08:30 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Wanted - Bambi Or Smaller AS

Greetings Montanaandy!

Another option, if you aren't determined to have polished aluminum, is the Argosy Minuet. The Minuet was produced from 1977 to 1979. It is 6" narrower than the standard Airstream/Argosy trailers of the period, and it was available as a 6.0 Metre (19' 3") , 6.7 Metre (22'), and 7.4 Metre (24') - - the two smaller coaches have single axles while the 7.4 Metre has tandem axles. In the 6.0 Metre and 6.7 Metre, the twin lounge model probably provides a slightly better sleeping arrangement (I may be biased as this is the floorplan that I sought-out when I purchased my Minuet). The 7.4 Metre has a center twin arrangment or a center double (convertible lounge) arrangement very similar to the Airstream Tradwind. The one thing to be aware of with the 6.0 Metre trailers is that you will likely find them to have composite aluminum floors which can complicate selection of new floor coverings.

I find my Minuet very easy to tow, in fact my Suburban rarely varies from its solo fuel economy when towing the Minuet. It is also nice to have a trailer that even the modest slide-on rear view mirror extensions can handle.

Good luck with your search!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Old 07-10-2003, 08:37 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Wanted Bambi Or Smaller AS

Thanks everyone for all of the input re: possibilities. I have seen a number of Argosy/Caravel trailers advertised from time to time and will consider this model too. Shari - the bidding is up to around $6500 for the Montana Bambi. The seller has not had things (i.e. plumbing, electrical, etc.) thoroughly tested but was going to have this done tomorrow. What is a fair price for this year/model AS if it is in good condition (which it appears to be). Thanks

Montanaandy
Old 07-10-2003, 09:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
That's a tough one to answer in the forum format...here's a link to a GREAT Price vs Condition website that'll answer that question much better than I can here. Be sure to qualify the "value" with the "condition"...otherwise the range is $800 - $17,000! Anything goes...

As "rluhr" mentioned, vintage Bambi's (& Bubbles) are one of the most sought after models, so generally the prices are higher. Caravels (17') & GlobeTrotters (19') are going to cost about the same (or less) but are slightly bigger....more value IMHO. Good luck in your search...

Shari