Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Marketplace > For Sale & Wanted
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2003, 08:00 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Question want to buy: wooden fold-up chairs

Does anyone know where I can find one or two of those old wooden fold-up chairs to go around the fold-out table? They didn't come as standard equipment with Airstreams, but they were sold by the Wally Byam store. Sometimes in old trailers, they will be stowed away in a closet or under something. Help!
Old 07-15-2003, 08:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Hi Marian!

Welcome to the forum...and your first official post as an Airstream owner!

Actually, I've seen them on ebay occasionally, there aren't any there now though but I'll keep an eye out for you...good luck in your search ~

Shari
Old 07-16-2003, 07:17 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
Hard to find, but...

Marian,
After searching for over a year, suddenly there were several show up on eBay. Presently there are none listed, but if you keep checking (search on leg-o-matic as well as folding chairs) you may find a few. The manufacturer, Leg-O-Matic has long since gone out of business. I jumped on the first one that came up for auction (paid $25, but shipping ran the cost upto over $40). Then there were two more auctions and these both had the same design on the back, so I bought those so as to have a matching pair. (again about $25/chair). All three of my purchases will need refinishing and new seat covers but that will be a fairly easy task. It is really ashamed that these are no longer made as they are perfect for use inside an RV and fold much smaller than any other design I have run across.

Good Luck
Air Forums # 2159
Past President Heart of Texas Camping Unit
WBCCI # 7548
Old 07-16-2003, 09:01 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
want to buy: wooden fold-up chairs

Greetings Marian!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstreaming. If you don't absolutely have to have OEM chairs, they are (or at least were) available as reproductions. I purchased four of these reproduction chairs, and their mechanisms are virtually identical to the originals - - the finish is light maple (the only color available at the time) with antique satin vinyl seat upholstery. I believe that they were about $49.00 each. I purchased mine through the Camping World Master Catalog. I don't have my copy with me on the road, and I didn't notice whether they are in the current catalog - - they have been in at least one fairly recent catalog.

Good luck with your search for chairs!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Old 07-16-2003, 12:43 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Thanks to all for your quick replies and your welcoming words. I am VERY excited to now be a part of this Airstream circle! I will keep checking ebay, and I'll also order the catalogue from Camper World. And, David, if you decide to sell your third chair (that is, if you only need two chairs), please let me know. Again, thanks to everyone!
Old 07-16-2003, 01:09 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Happened to see both your note and this chair today:

eBay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=3198

(Search for "Chair folds square")

All the best,

Bob
Old 07-16-2003, 02:25 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Thanks, Bob. I'm going to find that site right this minute! I am so impressed at the level of helpfulness of Airstream enthusiasts--even more reason that I'm happy to be part of this group.

Thanks again.
Old 07-16-2003, 04:46 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Does anyone happen to know if the Leg o Matic chairs were ever accually supplied by Airstream, either as a standard or optional item. Or if they were ever sold through Airstream or its dealers?

My wife has had a Leg o Matic chair since she was a child. Her parents bought it at a used furniture store for a desk chair maybe 50 years ago.

Mark
Old 07-16-2003, 06:01 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

In reply to the message above, this is what I found out yesterday about these chairs. I spoke to someone at an Airstream repair place in New Jersey, and he told me that these chairs, to his knowledge, had never been standard or "extra" furnishings in Airstream trailers but that they used to be sold by the Wally Byam stores at the big factories. He said he thought that they had been discontinued years ago, but he gave me the number of one of the big dealerships one of with those stores...just in case. The woman at the Wally Byam store told me that they had not carried those chairs in many years.

Now to all of you have responded to my first-ever post here:

Hurray! With all of your help, I am now bidding on TWO sets of leg-o-matic chairs, and if I end up with four, I'll pick the ones I like the best and then sell the other two, at my cost, to someone else (OR just keep them for extras). Until this morning, when I heard back from an inquiry to Iowa Boys, I didn't even know what to call these chairs. Then with all of your help, I found two sets within just a few hours! I think I'll actually own some before long. As of yesterday's day-long search, I had just about declared my search for these chairs a hopeless cause. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

We haven't even picked up our trailer from where we bought it in Alabama (we're in Houston, Texas), and I already have boxes full of things with which to stock it. I can't wait!!!! I hope all of our Airstream paths cross at some point.

Thanks again for all your help AND for making me feel so included...even before I have actually spent even one night in an Airstream!
Old 07-17-2003, 06:02 PM   #10
Rivet Master

"I spoke to someone ... they used to be sold by the Wally Byam stores at the big factories."

That would make some sense. Yours is not the first mention I had seen of Leg-O-Matic chairs being used in Airstreams, which led me to suspect they might have been sold to Airstreamers in some fashion.

They came in styles that would have looked perfect in the 50's and 60's units, or even now, for that matter. And I bet one could be folded up and stored behind the folding table. They are amazingly compact.

Mark
Old 07-17-2003, 07:11 PM   #11
Lost My Rivets

2013 30' Classic
New Braunfels , Texas
I just purchased a 69 Overlander and two Leg-o-Matic chairs came with the purchase. They fit under the cabinet beside the heater like they were designed to be there (they fit like a glove). They fit so well, I figured the chairs were original equipment, or at least optional equipment. The stain of the chairs also match the rest of the trailer.

John