Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Marketplace > For Sale & Wanted
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-24-2003, 04:17 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1984 29' Sovereign
Riverview , Florida
I saw one about three days ago at Walts RV in Ocala, Fl. It looked to be about 20ft or so. I dont know the condition or price but I know it was for sale.
Old 12-24-2003, 10:54 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Airstream car trailer conversion?

I race a car called a Formula Ford. It's an open wheeler that weighs about 900 lbs minus driver.

When a mechanic friend of mine first saw my Argosy motorhome, he immediately suggested that I should get an Airstream trailer to haul my racecar in! As he said, it'd look like two peas in a pod.

At that time, I had a 20' Haulmark car trailer that I was perfectly happy with, so his suggestion was moot. Then, last summer, someone relieved me of my race trailer in the dead of night, never to be seen again. And so now I need to replace it.

Converting an Airstream shell for car hauler duty looks like it'd be a whole lot of work. I would probably want to do some sort of a clamshell rear, rather like the nose of the C-5 transports.

Has anyone had any experience with a conversion like I'm talking about? What kind of problems would I likely run into? Am I nuts to even think of something like this?

Bob McKeown
Nashville
Old 12-25-2003, 10:05 AM   #23
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Quote:
What kind of problems would I likely run into?
Monocoque construction so you have no heavy members to mount doors on. Even bracing to the frame will have to have a pretty long run up the sides to support them. Once you pull the rear cap you are going to loose a lot of strength overall, more to reinforce.

John
Old 12-25-2003, 10:02 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Andrej -- Until the 8'6" width was introduced for longer trailers (was it early 90's?) all Airstreams were 8' wide. 22 foot and under still are. I don't know about the earliest vintage units but I believe 8' was standard width for several decades...

Good luck -- there are some units in need of serious attention and the insides are beyond repair for any variety of reasons. What you are asking is not sacrilege.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 12-27-2003, 03:38 AM   #25

Unhappy stripped out airstream

someone called me from a 330 area code and left a message. My new for Christmas answering machine gobbled your info...can you pleasa e-mail rog1@gte.net with what you have and where you are located.....Roger
Old 01-10-2004, 03:31 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to muddy_hollow Send a message via Yahoo to muddy_hollow
Listing in bostong area

I've been looking for an airstream in New England and came across an old airstream office trailer in Winthrop Mass. It's listed in the thewantad.com for $1000.
Old 01-21-2004, 06:57 PM   #27

I have a gutted 1971 Globetrotter in North Florida for $1400 if you are still looking.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:40 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Question $800 gutted in MI??

hey is the $800 gutted still for sale, I'm very interested. If I can get it to MO with new wheels and tires....

Old 01-27-2004, 02:31 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Lapeer , Michigan
the one in michigan not available

It is sold...to me! I am the happy owner of the stripped out Airstream in Michigan....I have not even seen it yet but I made the agreement with the man who was in charge of it....yeah!!!!
Old 01-30-2004, 01:12 PM   #30
Texas Cajun :-)

1962 19' Globetrotter
Austin , TEXAS YEHAWWWW
Gutted AS search

Hey Andre' where are you located and are you still looking for a gutted trailer? Please email me at "fatcatmedia@yahoo.com" when you get a minute. Very interested to talk with you. Thanks, Roze
Old 01-30-2004, 08:38 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Andrej -- I must correct my statement about 8' being the narrowest Airstreams in my lifetime. Look at this thread about Argosy Minuets. Kevin Allen seems to have information in his January 30 post about 7'8" widths and maybe even 7' widths.

Castings on my Argosy have the Airstream name on them -- they are Airstreams except for the galvanized end caps causing the manufacturer to paint all the units. They tend to be lighter than current day trailers and have the same aluminum ribs & skin as airstreams -- only painted on the exterior. If not desiring to be authentic I have heard of some folks painting their Argosy aluminum colored and being nearly indistinguishable from their Airstream brothers.

Airstream has used plumbing, mechanical, stove, refrigerator, hot water, furnace and other accessories that are stock in the American RV industry. So getting new repair/replacements would be relatively compatible with these vintage units. I don't know if you would choose those anyway if you would be operating in Europe.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 04-08-2004, 12:18 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by tin can luv
hey is the $800 gutted still for sale, I'm very interested. If I can get it to MO with new wheels and tires....

Ha!!! I was just looking at the pictures from when this first posted, and look at that, I asked for it just before Froggie bought it....LOL

Wow. Just thought I'd point that out....LOL