Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2005, 10:26 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Selling Excellent Pair of Rear Twin Mattresses

It's the end of the season for my mattress business here in Quartzsite, and I have a pair of excellent rear twin Airstream mattresses with the curved corners for sale. The springs came from the mattresses which were in my Excella when I converted to a pedestal queen bed. The springs were in excellent condition, but the padding was thin so I removed all the original padding and had the springs rebuilt into mattresses with extra thick padding and excellent ticking. The price is $250 each and I will deliver them if you live along the route home. That route would be along I-10 between California and San Antonio, Texas. Pictures are available. I'm departing on Thursday, February 17, so I must know if you want them by then. Shipping is not available, it is just too expensive and too much of a hassle. Basically I'm selling them for just a little more than I have in them. No takers by 2/17, and I give them to the local charity.

Email: thombiz@yahoo.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	matts.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	10406  
Old 02-16-2005, 09:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Sorry, no takers. They've been given to a charity!
Old 02-22-2005, 09:23 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

do you have any phots of "queen pedestal" coversion? I am getting ready to do the same and looking for ideas.

Thanks

Bill
Old 02-23-2005, 03:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Yes, I have photos. I just returned after being on the road for 4 months. Give me a day or so to land on my feet and I will get back to you. Bob T.
Old 03-06-2005, 04:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Attached are photos of my twins to pedistal queen conversion. The Queen mattress is 59x74. The platform is therefor 59x74, but the supporting pedistal is only 46x71. Nightstands on either side of the platform cover water heater and electrical stuff.

I don't have before pictures, so here are the after pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bPedistal-H2O-close.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	10746   Click image for larger version

Name:	CPedistal-rear nightstand.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	10747  

Name:	a-pedistal-at-h20heater.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	10748  
Old 03-06-2005, 04:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
More Pictures
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DPedistal-front-nightstand.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	10749   Click image for larger version

Name:	EPedistal-rear-most.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	10750  

Name:	FPedistal-storage-and-supports.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	10751  
Old 03-06-2005, 04:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
More photos.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GPedistal-71inches-long.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	10753   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPedistal-linen-shelf-in.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	10754  

Name:	IPedistal-linen-bothshelves-in.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	10755   Click image for larger version

Name:	JPedistal-platform in.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	10756  

Old 03-06-2005, 04:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
And even more photos.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	KPedistal-platform raised for linen storage.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	10757   Click image for larger version

Name:	LPedistal-front-most.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	10758  

Name:	MCover at pass-side access door.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	10759   Click image for larger version

Name:	NCover-at-wheelwell.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	10760  

Name:	PMattress in place-final.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	10761  
Old 03-06-2005, 04:42 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Bob,

Thanks for posting the pictures. As they say, a pic is worth a thousand words.

From the 2nd post of pictures, it looks like you have a 3" deep (height) shelf with about a foot of storage below. I think many with the twins - like I have now - would like to do a larger queen type bed.

Any problems that you had to overcome?

Steve
ps: like the tile!
Old 03-06-2005, 05:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
The 4" deep storage area is mostly for spare linens and light weight stuff. I purposefully put in 1/4" plywood for bottoms so I wouldn't be tempted to overload them. Mostly they are lightly used. The 12" high bottom storage is for the standard brown tubs which came with our Excella. We retained the storage door on the public side, but not on the rear-most storage area which makes the rear easier to get into.

The pedistal platform is of 1/2" plywood so I had to put in a center support to reduct sag. Overhanging the pedistal with the platform is very important as it provide the necessary toe room for getting around the bed. As for theh the bulkhead to the outside storage area, it is located such that the two brown storage tubs fit, and to support the mattress where a sleeping body is the heaviest, the torso.

The tile look is achieved using a nice foam backed sheet vinyl I purchased from Home Depot. It is a "non-glue down" installation and is in my opinion one of the best things I've done to make the trailer easy to care for. It is also way lighter in weight than the carpet and pad we removed.

The toughest part was the fact it was a comprehensive project. I had to redo the flooring, remove drapes and change to day/night shades, remove cabinets, raise and shorten some other cabinets, redo some of the electrical, replace all the wall carpet in the rear bedroom, make covers for the passenger side access door and the rear of the passenger side wheel well, and ad some new lights under the cabinets above the headboard. Anyone planning such a project should realize it is more than just building a pedistal.

Enjoy!
Old 03-06-2005, 05:42 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

<The toughest part was the fact it was a comprehensive project. I had to redo the flooring, remove drapes and change to day/night shades, remove cabinets, raise and shorten some other cabinets, redo some of the electrical, replace all the wall carpet in the rear bedroom, make covers for the passenger side access door and the rear of the passenger side wheel well, and ad some new lights under the cabinets above the headboard. Anyone planning such a project should realize it is more than just building a pedistal.>

I see what you mean - "comprehensive project".

I much appreciate your sharing your project with us.

"remove cabinets, raise and shorten some other cabinets" Sounds like you lost some cabinet space. I don't see any installed as yet. Are the shortened ones are the hanging closets above where your feet were in the old beds? I believe it was 'j54Mark' who put shallow shelf and cabinets on the passenger side which allowed some use of outside door storage. Maybe his bed was shorter too.

I see the small triangular box with vent. Must also be the wheel well covering.
Did you feel the drapes would not work well in your new setup?
Old 03-06-2005, 05:47 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

It was j54Mark.

Here is his cabinets I was referring to:
http://www.airforums.com/photo...500&userid=139
Old 03-06-2005, 06:24 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
On the passenger side, above where the foot of the queen bed is now, I removed both the wardrobe closet and upper closet. On the driver side, the wardrobe closet was "in your face", so I raised the bottom about 4" the cut away a couple inches where it meets the wall, making it shallower, the we added shelves to it.

We didn't really like the look of the drapes, because we felt they made the space seem small, so we opted for the day night shades. Incidently, it seems to be how A/S is doing the '05 Classics. At the rear upper cabinet, removal of the drapes exposed some sloppy craftsmanship at the soffit of the overhead cabinets. The soffit had to be rebuilt, so we made a new one, much lighter weight, and covered it with the wall carpet.

We just returned from spending 4 months away from home and spacious feel of the new bedroom in the A/S was really enjoyed. If I had it to do over, I'd do the same thing.