Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Marketplace > For Sale & Wanted
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-19-2004, 04:25 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Cashier's Check/Money Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisAich
But, a legitimate cashier's check and stopping payment! What were you supposed to have done? Those are supposed to be as good as cash. Hmph, guess not!
All the buyer has to do is claim it was lost or stolen. Then the company will stop payment. If you know anyone who has fallen victim of this, call the Secret Service, and the issuing bank's fraud department. You may be able to get them to honor the check if you can prove that you have transferred title and possession of the trailer (or other property).

Even when working with e-bay, etc. always check the seller's history.

Platinum Paula? (still searching for a nickname... that one's pretentious)
Old 12-19-2004, 06:15 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
Garden Grove , CA
Thanks Paula.

Chris
Old 12-19-2004, 07:22 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Leonardtown , Maryland
Smile Holding Period on Cashiers Check

I recently purchased my 2002 Classic from a private party in a neighboring state.

I sold my Jayco to a local couple who deal at the same bank as I.

They payed me with a cashiers check from an investment house, in which they had their savings. A 10 day hold was put on that cashiers check. I questioned this and was advised that the 10 day hold is policy and there is a 3 day hold on money that is wired into the bank. The manager told me that they had been burned for $30K in bad cashieer checks and caution rules.

I financed the Classic with my bank we paid off the money owed buy the original owner (Thor/E*Trade Finiancial). This was a Bank to Bank transaction with communication between the banks and cashier checks sent for payment. A ten working day hold was placed on all paperwork (release of the title). I was a month completing the entire deal and getting my tags.

If the banks are being this careful we need to protect ourselves even better. Do not get over anxious to sell your unit. I know the new unit is calling loud and clear but the bottom line is to protect yourself. An honest buyer will understand and also want to protect themselves.

All good things come in time

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Old 12-19-2004, 07:28 PM   #44
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
We've had a couple of scamsters strike here in the past few months; the first was a truck sold over eBay by one of our local businesses. The owner met the buyer in Chicago. The buyer was from the east coast. The buyer cancelled the legitimate cashier's check upon his arrival home. I got involved in the investigation. Apparently the only way one can be cancelled is if it's reported lost or stolen, and of course, your statement to that effect must be made under penalty of perjury. If the maker has perjured himself, he's liable for criminal charges and the bank will, in fact, honor the check.

The second new scam was just last week when a some folks bought check paper stock and manufactured counterfeit checks with a legitmate business names and check routing numbers printed on a high quality printer. Of course the routing number wasn't done in magnetic ink, and the signature was scanned, but all in all, the checks were good enough to hit six U.S. Bank branches for about $9800 in a single day. We arrested one woman who was negotiating the checks for someone else and getting a percentage of each check she was able to cash.

They had hit on three days (that we know of so far) and probably cleaned up each day.

Whew... if only they'd work that hard at some legitimate pursuit...

Roger
Old 12-19-2004, 07:59 PM   #45
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
My favorite 419 is http://www.satirewire.com/news/jan02/lay_scam.shtml
Old 12-20-2004, 06:29 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325
We've had a couple of scamsters strike here

Whew... if only they'd work that hard at some legitimate pursuit...

Roger
my, my....lot happenin' in that sleepy hamlet of yours...
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
Old 12-21-2004, 12:30 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
Garden Grove , CA
The scams

Fortunately we are in no hurry. Our unit is paid for and we are not looking for another. This one is perfect for what we use it for but we just don't use it often enough. If someone really wants it we'll sell. If not, that's ok too.
If the electricity goes out here we'll have a place to go.

Chris
Old 12-22-2004, 09:20 AM   #48
1 Rivet Member

Open another account !

Hey I've been through a ton of these kind of deals. I opened a seperate savings account, with a $20 minimum needed to maintain it. Anytime I do a wire transfer transaction I use the routing info for that account. I then transfer the funds as soon as they are posted to my everyday account. Done deal ! That way no one can access my everyday account. My credit union was very helpfull and understanding about setting it up.

Just how I deal with the issue, Jesse
Old 12-22-2004, 05:39 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Hey, Roger, we had a funny thing happen to us up north of you! We sold a mini van for parts through eBay. Some guy in chicago bought it, and came to Waterloo to pick it up. He paid cash which of course made us happy. We loaded it on his trialer, and he left. At the time, we couldn't put our hands on the title, so we told him we would mail it to him. Everything was good. Two days later, got a call from Independence, about twenty miles east of us, on the way back to Chicago. To make a long story short, the people that bought it from us left it in a park! They took off the rear door they wanted, and abandoned the rest of it! So a friend of ours went over and picked it up. We all thought it was very very strange, but people do strange things sometimes. If all they wanted was that door, why didn't they just take the door and leave the rest with us? Hmmm? Three days later, I get a call from the buyer, wanting to know if we had mailed the title yet. Ummm, "Where is the car now?", I asked. A pause, then "In Chicago, here", he replied. "Then why do you suppose the police called me to go get it from a park in Independence?" I asked. Dead silence. And then. Click. He hung up on me! Haven't heard from him since, and still have the title and van minus rear door. My theory is they wanted the Iowa title to attempt to title some other car, possibly something hot. Unfortunately, nobody in Independence is interested, nor will they return calls. I guess getting it out of their park was all they wanted.

Elizabeth in Iowa