Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Marketplace > For Sale & Wanted
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2004, 10:11 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Price on '04 Safari

Is $32,500. is a "fair" or "good" price on a brand-new ('04) Safari, NOT an LS, but additional equipment includes Galley skylight w/shade, 13,500 BTU a/c unit w/heat pump, Spare Tire, Electric Hitch Jack? I'm 'in the market' for a trailer, but not sure I want to buy a used one. I've been doing my research, looking at both new & used. This one is $13,500. MORE than the "other" one, which is 6 years old. I can't decide which is better -- to save the add'l. $$$$, or buy a "good deal" which is no longer under warranty & has been gently used. HELP!
Old 08-05-2004, 10:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy H
Is $32,500. is a "fair" or "good" price on a brand-new ('04) Safari, NOT an LS, but additional equipment includes Galley skylight w/shade, 13,500 BTU a/c unit w/heat pump, Spare Tire, Electric Hitch Jack? I'm 'in the market' for a trailer, but not sure I want to buy a used one. I've been doing my research, looking at both new & used. This one is $13,500. MORE than the "other" one, which is 6 years old. I can't decide which is better -- to save the add'l. $$$$, or buy a "good deal" which is no longer under warranty & has been gently used. HELP!
What size??? If it's the 25' (guess by price) that is "IMHO" a good price. If it's longer than the deal looks even better. That is probably 18% off MSRP w/the additions & close to what we paid for our '04 Safari 25 without those additions. (Dealer added pwr jack after-market -same as A/S but black- as part of sale.)
Old 08-05-2004, 10:37 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
Buy the good deal. I just bought my first trailer. Now that I realize how uncomplicated the systems are and of course how well made AS is, I beginning to wish I had bought used. Good deals are to be had on used AS. Of course used newer Bambi's are hard to find, size wize, new worked well for me. Would have had to major driveway work with a larger unit. There are some sweet used units out there. My next trailer will be an Argosy.

Good luck! No bad choices with AS!

WBCCI #2468
2006 Ford F-150 Lariart 4X4
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
Old 08-05-2004, 10:51 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed & Debbie
What size??? If it's the 25' (guess by price) that is "IMHO" a good price. If it's longer than the deal looks even better. That is probably 18% off MSRP w/the additions & close to what we paid for our '04 Safari 25 without those additions. (Dealer added pwr jack after-market -same as A/S but black- as part of sale.)
Ed & Debbie, thanks for your quick reply. It's a 25' model & my "gut" tells me that this is not a bad price. I just need to hear from some "fellow" Airstreamers out there! I'm a "newbie" & don't want to regret my decision either way.
Old 08-05-2004, 11:11 AM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Base Safari 25' units without any options was $39,143.00--Retail! So that price would sound about right. I'd still try to squezze blood out of a turnip (sp?).

2005s had another price increase. That now bumps the 25' Safaris at or above $40k retail.
Old 08-05-2004, 11:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Quote:
Ed & Debbie, thanks for your quick reply. It's a 25' model & my "gut" tells me that this is not a bad price. I just need to hear from some "fellow" Airstreamers out there! I'm a "newbie" & don't want to regret my decision either way.
Sandy, it's hard not to have some 'buyers remorse' after any large purchase, especially when you find the little things that are not perfect. We've had some 'infancy' issues, minor, but A/S has stood behind their product all the way. We are leaving in the next hour or so to go to Jackson Center for some minor things & take the factory tour. Actually we're going to visit relatives in Troy, OH & attend a wedding, so J/C is just a 30 mi. side trip!

We bought new for a number of reasons, but used can be a better deal. I checked the NADA book values & figured the initial 'loss' in value was circumvented by the 2 yr warranty.

We know this is a big decision, Good Luck on whatever you do....see you 'down the road'!!!
Old 08-12-2004, 10:21 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Base Safari 25' units without any options was $39,143.00--Retail! So that price would sound about right. I'd still try to squezze blood out of a turnip (sp?).

2005s had another price increase. That now bumps the 25' Safaris at or above $40k retail.
I went by the dealership again today & the Sticker Price on this particular unit, with options added (Elec. Hitch, Spare Tire, 13,500 BTU A/C w/Heat Pump & Galley Skylite w/Shade) was/is $41,024. & some cents. I think this is a good price, but it's S-C-A-R-Y to me, making this BIG DECISION -- BY MYSELF!!! They have an '05 that has a few more "bells & whistles" on it (not much, though) but, if I remember correctly, it's priced @ $43,000.-something! Yikes! Makes the '04 look even better!!!!!!
Old 08-13-2004, 05:19 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
Sandy, Sandy, Sandy. Breath. It will be ok! There are no bad choices with AS if you are going to use it and not let it sit in storage. Price used, they hold their value. New is good if certain features are important to you. The '04 sounds like a deal. Will the unit work for you? That is, does it have the options you want? If this is your first trialer and you are that S-C-A-R-E-D, buy a used one and make sure it is what you want. You can always trade up later. It does not have to be a forever purchase. Plus with the income tax benefit (qualifing second home), who cares! Your net cost is less than you think!

Let us know what you buy!

WBCCI #2468
2006 Ford F-150 Lariart 4X4
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
Old 08-13-2004, 07:03 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic
N Smithfield , Rhode Island
Take it and run!!!!!!!!!

We bought our 2004 25' Safari April 2nd this year, and paid $36,400. That included the LS package. We have the 6 sleeper. We love our unit and have no regrets. Now, our "forum friends" have convinced us to buy the Yukon Denali, after reading numerous threads. We feel our tow vehicle is not adequate to hall 6200lbs. We'll all be bankrupt together. One big happy group of AS nuts!!! Picking up our Yukon tomorrow. Good luck on your purchase. A GREAT DEAL!

Keep us posted,
Gail

BRN-2905
NEAC of Region 1
Old 08-13-2004, 09:02 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
??? Is the 25' Safari really 6200lbs? Or are you talking about total packed up and with water and stuff? Brochures put the weight around 4700lbs.

Talk to SilverTwinkie about tow vehicles.... He's towing a 25 Safari with an Impala SS! I've seen it in person.

John
Old 08-13-2004, 10:13 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

To: Lucky, Titu & Gail, thanks for all of your encouragement! If it wasn't Friday the 13th, I'd send my deposit TODAY! You know, I really DON'T think that I will regret it, buying the "new" '04, and yes, it DOES have most any options that I could ever need (at least I THINK it does -- it's NOT a Classic, but hey! I can't tow that behind my Yukon XL anyway, right?). With the sticker price being $41,024., I figured out that I was getting right at a 21% discount, which isn't bad, right? Guess I'll join "the A/S ranks" soon! Wish me luck!
Old 08-13-2004, 10:16 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titu & Gail Ahmed
We bought our 2004 25' Safari April 2nd this year, and paid $36,400. That included the LS package. We have the 6 sleeper. We love our unit and have no regrets. Now, our "forum friends" have convinced us to buy the Yukon Denali, after reading numerous threads. We feel our tow vehicle is not adequate to hall 6200lbs. We'll all be bankrupt together. One big happy group of AS nuts!!! Picking up our Yukon tomorrow. Good luck on your purchase. A GREAT DEAL!

Keep us posted,
Gail
This is a 6-sleeper, too, w/bed in the corner. Small bath, but hey! It's only ME right now, so I think it will work just fine. Looked at a couple of '03 Classics that I liked, but they DON'T have the Dinette, which I like, and they were considerably higher priced, as well as pre-owned. As far as the Yukon Denali, you will LOVE it, too! That's what I have ('02) & it's been great! I have almost 70K miles on it & have only had it since Memorial Day weekend, '02! ENJOY YOUR DENALI, along with the A/S. Let me know how the Denali is "working" for you.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:19 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYRSTRM2
??? Is the 25' Safari really 6200lbs? Or are you talking about total packed up and with water and stuff? Brochures put the weight around 4700lbs.

Talk to SilverTwinkie about tow vehicles.... He's towing a 25 Safari with an Impala SS! I've seen it in person.

John
The brochure that I've seen states the weight is 6300#, and that is NOT packed or with water & "stuff". Yes, I WILL "talk" to SilverTwinkie about towing vehicles. I can't BELIEVE that he's towing w/an Impala SS! But they don't make vehicles now like they USED to when they were making Impalas, right? That Impala probably is NOT the lightest!
Old 08-13-2004, 11:29 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari

Quote:
To: Lucky, Titu & Gail, thanks for all of your encouragement! If it wasn't Friday the 13th, I'd send my deposit TODAY! You know, I really DON'T think that I will regret it, buying the "new" '04, and yes, it DOES have most any options that I could ever need (at least I THINK it does -- it's NOT a Classic, but hey! I can't tow that behind my Yukon XL anyway, right?). With the sticker price being $41,024., I figured out that I was getting right at a 21% discount, which isn't bad, right? Guess I'll join "the A/S ranks" soon! Wish me luck!
I paid $33,500 for mine in March. It doesn't have the options you mentioned so I think you have a great deal!
Old 08-13-2004, 04:14 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh & Nita
I paid $33,500 for mine in March. It doesn't have the options you mentioned so I think you have a great deal!
Thanks again for the "courage". I've been waiting to hear from the sales rep to find out what it might cost to put window awnings on the back window & the 2 windows over the Dinette (all small ones). Also would like to install those PLEATED shades that come standard ONLY in the Classics. This unit doesn't have Fantastic Fans, just the regular vents. Is that an issue, or will the regular vents be just fine? (I'm in South Central Texas, and it gets awfully hot at this time of year!). Hopefully I will be able to spend the summers soon in Colorado, and I won't have to worry about those (vents, that is).
Old 08-13-2004, 07:18 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Fantastic Fan

Quote:
Thanks again for the "courage". I've been waiting to hear from the sales rep to find out what it might cost to put window awnings on the back window & the 2 windows over the Dinette (all small ones). Also would like to install those PLEATED shades that come standard ONLY in the Classics. This unit doesn't have Fantastic Fans, just the regular vents. Is that an issue, or will the regular vents be just fine? (I'm in South Central Texas, and it gets awfully hot at this time of year!). Hopefully I will be able to spend the summers soon in Colorado, and I won't have to worry about those (vents, that is).
The Fantastic is good for cooling off a hot vehicle after it's been in Texas and Florida sun, but after a few minutes, it's time for the AC. Don't know about it's use in Colorado.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:11 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Looks like a good discount given what we paid for our 28SO/LS a few weeks ago. Get as many Fantastic Fans as it will take! They're fantastic!
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
Old 08-14-2004, 07:50 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
That is a good deal for that trailer. Also, I think the 25SS is perfect for one person - you get a bed, dinette, and sofa all available all the time. The options on this trailer are most of the important "LS" stuff. Adding one Fantastic fan in the front would be fine. I would not bother with the awnings unless you use the trailer in one spot for extended periods of time. IMHO: awnings are too much of a hassle to deploy/retract.

My trailer is for occasional weekends and vacation trips and unfortunalty I do not have the time to make it a project. With no offense intended to owners of older trailers... when I was looking for used I found mostly very old, worn out, smelly trailers. There were very few newer trailers available, and those were priced too close to a heavily discounted new trailer like you are looking at. However, if you took enough time, or were very lucky, you might find a nice used one that isn't a project in disguise.

If you buy it, as I have recommended many times before, find a Farmer with a nice pole barn and store it indoors! As you have probably inferred from the forum... sun, rain, and hail are terribly hard on Airstreams.
Old 08-14-2004, 09:38 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac
That is a good deal for that trailer. Also, I think the 25SS is perfect for one person - you get a bed, dinette, and sofa all available all the time. The options on this trailer are most of the important "LS" stuff. Adding one Fantastic fan in the front would be fine. I would not bother with the awnings unless you use the trailer in one spot for extended periods of time. IMHO: awnings are too much of a hassle to deploy/retract.

My trailer is for occasional weekends and vacation trips and unfortunalty I do not have the time to make it a project. With no offense intended to owners of older trailers... when I was looking for used I found mostly very old, worn out, smelly trailers. There were very few newer trailers available, and those were priced too close to a heavily discounted new trailer like you are looking at. However, if you took enough time, or were very lucky, you might find a nice used one that isn't a project in disguise.

If you buy it, as I have recommended many times before, find a Farmer with a nice pole barn and store it indoors! As you have probably inferred from the forum... sun, rain, and hail are terribly hard on Airstreams.
Thanks, dmac! I'm feeling better all the time about my intended purchase! Good info. about the awnings & also about the pole barn.
Old 08-14-2004, 10:22 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Sandy,

I'm looking at the brochure and I see what's going on here--GVWR is the weight you're mentioning. That's how much it can maximumally be, can be, when loaded with water, food, LP and all of your beach toys. That's you upper limit. If you take that stuff out, it weighs 4770 lbs. So... You need to be ready for the maximum weight, but you won't be getting that high all of the time. Most people here will tell you to be ready for the max, since it doesn't make sense not to be and can be dangerous, but when you pick up your coach, it'll be about 5000lbs.

John