Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Marketplace > For Sale & Wanted
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-08-2004, 09:36 AM   #61
Rivet Extraordinaire

Noticed the following in the text of the website:

"When I bought it two years ago I started to work on the outside. Now, with the
interior finished, I rather like the contrast between the raw outside and the
refined interior."

In other words there is no art to the exterior other than having left it "raw" outside. Sounds like he ran out of time to finish it before the trip to New Zealand. Probably a good thing, the price would have increased to $56,000 with a finished exterior.

1991 60th Anniversary Limited 34' - w/out Hensley ;O)
1991 F250 diesel 4x4 - (retired farm truck/beast)

"It's a good feeling to be long."
Old 05-08-2004, 11:59 AM   #62
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
. . . or maybe he's one of those people that tries to keep a low profile and offer less of a target for thieves. . . .
Old 05-08-2004, 12:27 PM   #63
Craftsman

Is that the raw edge of the plywood ( double layer?)that I see on the sink-desk countertop? That's pretty Zen like.

Old 05-08-2004, 02:17 PM   #64
Rivet Extraordinaire

raw edges

The material you see there is called "baltic birch" plywood and is what is called a "void free" plywood. It is not supposed to have the voids you see on say BC graded plywood. It also has more and thinner veneers or layers. It's good stuff really. It is actually common for contemporary designers to incorporate the exposed edges. It does look like a double layer of 3/4" plywood on the "kitchen" counter.

Old 05-08-2004, 02:33 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
IT's that old argument

'what's the difference between an artist that draws like a child, and a childs art?????'

I am getting such a kick at checking in on this thread from time to time. If this guy is watching, his head is sWELLING!!!
Old 05-08-2004, 02:39 PM   #66
Rivet Extraordinaire

One other thing I noticed in the text of his ad. He's calling it a "land yacht". I don't think there was a land yacht back then was there? He says it has a 19 ft inside dimension. Does that make it a 22' Safari?

This one looks very similar to it on the body:

http://www.vintageairstream.com/arch.../60Safari.html

Also I noticed something else that clues me in on how the exterior came to be the way it is. Take a look at this photo:

http://www.farbelism.com/airstream/O...20(2)_jpg.html

It looks like they are taking a break from all the hard work during the "finishing" of the exterior. Notice the refreshments on hand.

Also for $28k you'd think he could at least have sprung for some aluminum bottles as opposed to those beige colored ones he has on it that you can buy for $20 at Sam's Club. Or maybe he could have painted them silver? ANYTHING but what it has!

At his price he has it for $1273 a foot (if it's a 22 footer). Here is a 1998 model for $1100 a foot. The interior on the 98 isn't so "refined" though. Which would you rather have? Keep in mind the 98 has an awning that could be removed to approach the minimalist appeal of the Zenstream.

http://tradeyourrv.chooseyouritem.co...500/73694.html

Could it be that he's not referring to US dollars but rather the New Zealand monetary unit? $NZ?

A note to that guy that was so impressed with his blender. He says in the ad he's sweetening the deal by including it in the package along with his tool box! He's also including a pepper mill too. Man you guys better move on this thing before it's gone! I can't go for it cuz I got all my money tied up in the one I have now.

Old 05-08-2004, 04:15 PM   #67

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
What, were they refinishing with a sanding disc? That's pretty close to 'machine turned', and in my opinion that's u-g-l-y!

But you're right, the blender really sweetened the pot. I'm calling my bank right now

You know, only an artist would go through all that trouble to try and sell an AS and never mention how big it is. If it's a safari I must say it looks bigger inside than most safaris - but then in most safaris you don't have to potty in the cupboard!

Old 05-08-2004, 04:36 PM   #68
Rivet Extraordinaire

One thing everyone seems to have missed (with the exception of one) is that the potty is NOT INCLUDED! He just said he made a SPACE for it. You won't find it in the pics--I've looked. But then of course he made up for it by throwing in the blender and the pepper mill. Speaking of a pot he didn't say anthing about the coffee pot. So you guys might want to negotiate a price adjustment on that.

Old 05-09-2004, 11:35 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Quote:
Originally Posted by joossens
In other words there is no art to the exterior other than having left it "raw" outside. Sounds like he ran out of time to finish it before the trip to New Zealand. Probably a good thing, the price would have increased to $56,000 with a finished exterior.
Took another look. Your'e right, he left it unfinished and is calling it "raw".

The siding of my house has badly peeling and blistering paint. I'm going to call it "raw" from now on.

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
Old 05-10-2004, 09:12 AM   #70
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
No bites, so to Ebay we go

I will let you all read the carefully crafted story:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=50063
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 05-10-2004, 09:20 AM   #71
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
It's going to be a long way to $28,000.

John
Old 05-10-2004, 09:36 AM   #72
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Oh brother!

Quote:
I will let you all read the carefully crafted story
I noticed "the price" has been removed from the website...it'll be curious to watch the auction progress.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 05-10-2004, 09:38 AM   #73
Craftsman

This is even better than the first description of this "Masterpiece". It took THREE years to complete? I also love the statement: "cabinetry in this masterpiece is of the finest European quality" Where? It must be SO good that it's hidden. Kind of Zen like. This guy has had his head in the sun for far to long or whatever he's smoking is super potent. This kind of BS is either funny or insulting or maybe both, but it definitly make me want to email the guy and invite him to take a look at this forum and some of his critics.
Jack

Old 05-10-2004, 09:46 AM   #74
Rivet Extraordinaire

How much you wanna bet he doesn't make the $5000 opening bid!!! I see he has a Buy it Now for $29,500. He must've gone ahead and thrown in the coffee potl.

Old 05-10-2004, 10:34 AM   #75
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
1) He really screwed up the outside. He doesn't have the first clue about the essence of these trailers.
2) No bathroom. Even an outside shower and inside toilet would have saved the day. Prehaps he is one of those people who doesn't need either.
3) I really like the inside. I like the openness and attention to detail in the layout. Very functional and very comfortable for someone who only stays at state parks with electric hookup and with full well maintained bath houses like some I've seen in NY. Cook on the grill or firering outside except for the occasional cup of tea.
4) If the mechanicals are in top shape, and someone wants if for the above it would be fine. This price however leaves me speechless.
Old 05-10-2004, 04:27 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Did a bit of looking up...

Now the intro says who the artiste actually is: Franz Buhler. So, I googled him and quickly found out that he has served as a team member at architect Rick Joy's studio in Tuscon. Rick Joy is a contemporary architect of minor note, the kind of high end designer whose small shop does a few very pricey, minimalist (dare I say zen?) homes in the desert. Think lots of windows, steel, small, boxy structures. The current status of the studio is questionable, since the website is down and Rick is currently a "visiting critic" at Harvard.

All appearances seem to show that Rick is Franz's mentor. This should prepare Franz for the feedback encountered here. The following is in the feedback for Rick's book on Amazon:

"first of all, why would some one go and build a house in the middle of no where and is that by all means practical? second even if you want to enjoy the splender of the desert! then these projects mostly are neither appealing nor logical... i mean how can you create such wide windscreens in a house built in the middle of the desert where the temperature fluctuates between the extremes...! The text doesn't really helps you much and the figures are hopeless...finally the photos are far from showing us exactly what the book is about... i bought the book but i really feel sorry."

So, he's probably learned from his mentor that there are folks out there who will know better. And that's probably why, like Rick, Franz is moving on. So much of survival is spin...

Now why Franz speaks of himself in the third person is beyone me. Why he brags about his physique (without showing himself in a picture) and his affections for much too young women I find rather troubling. The pictures this puts in my mind makes me sick.

Oh, well, I do like his cabinetry. The rest is just plain disturbing. Franz, stick to making cabinets. Please keep away from young girls and airstreams. Please.

Mary
Old 05-10-2004, 05:14 PM   #77
1 Rivet Member

Whitehorse , Alaska
Question A Comedian!

This has got to be a joke, and not a bad one either. The 'tres chic', 'Franz is 50, looks 45, feels 25 and dates 20 yr olds', and, 'design au jour d'hui', is so bad I am sure that a comical mind came up with this. Then the kicker, 'The only thing he could have done better would have been to (take a hammer to it)'. I think Franz has been reading this forum and the joke's on us! Or maybe this is the girl reading the book doing a sociology project.
Old 05-10-2004, 05:35 PM   #78

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
When I got to the part that said he dates twenty year olds, all I could think was - EWWW - too much information!

Actually, the eBay posting says they are posting it FOR him, that's why it's written in the third person. I wondered how an artist who lived out in the desert in a minimalist trailer could get such a high eBay rating - so that's why. He's got someone else posting it for him.

Pretty hilareous description though...

Old 05-10-2004, 06:53 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
I'm changin my name to Franz and will start wearing a speedo. I'll let you know if I get any dates with 20 year olds.

Old 05-10-2004, 07:26 PM   #80
Rivet Extraordinaire

"Actually, the eBay posting says they are posting it FOR him, that's why it's written in the third person."

I researched that one m'self. I REALLY think Franz is doing the talking. The ebay ad is so similar to the wording of the ad at the Farbelism site. That we know is Franz because he says so. I back checked the ad copy of previous auction postings from bikeloverrr (whose name is Robert). Bikeloverrr appers to be a man of few words. Nope I think Franz wrote up the ad and bikeloverrr posted it for him under his user name--probably for a percentage of the closing bid which I DOUBT will even reach the OPENING bid.

I think Franz is really shooting himself in the foot here. The fact is the interior is not badly done at all. I personally would have liked a shower inside. But it's good cabinetwork. He should just fess up that the exterior needs proper completion and take what he can get for his labors on the interior. As it is I think he so insults the intelligence of even the most uninitiated that he will not get ANY bids. He's trying so hard to fluff it up by calling it a "designer prototype" that it's obvious. He even admits in the auction listing to being plastered while he was grinding down the finish.

When you try to sell something at a premium, as he is, people are going to scrutinize it much closer. That trailer, in the condition it's in, CANNOT stand up to scrutiny once you get to the exterior.

Ebay buyers in scrutiny mode:

Franz if you're listening to us do yourself a favor and tone things down just a notch so you can get what your Airstream is REALLY worth.

"I think Franz has been reading this forum and the joke's on us!"

You may be right. But I don't think he's kidding. Bikeloverrr is a legitimate user with alot of feedback and he's looking at having to pay out some serious cash if even the $5000 opening bid gets posted.