Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Marketplace > For Sale & Wanted
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-01-2004, 08:53 AM   #21
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by pourfolkes
Does it look ok to you? It has an electric jack, the receiver hitch and also a front awning screen, but needs new tires I think. What do you all think about this

Looks good, I would have to see a few more pictures, but based on what I see here goes:

Is the side bed going to be big enough for you? or is it Twins? It likely does not have a gray water tank.

The tires may need to be replaced, but based on how low it is sitting on the tires I would say axle replacement should be top of the list. This runs approx $800.00 per axle, plus labor if you cannot DIY.

The front solar guard is nice, but based on it being one of the original styles it will not stand up to many rocks before it cracks. The paint is to hide the yellow aged plastic.

I would want to see pictures of the roadside and rear. I am always a bit leery when they do not send all 4 views.

With all that being said, knowing the above info, you have to decide if it is worth it. This one needs work, but it is more straightforward than the prior one.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 04-01-2004, 09:03 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Now that looks like a very good prospect at a very reasonable price. If it doesn't have any floor problems that is a bargin. It looks very well maintained. That's a good sign.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:10 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Rita:

Would you mind sending me the info and location on the coach with rusted frame? I'll be in FL Tallahasse area next week and if it's in that area I might be interested in look at it to get an idea how bad it is. If that coach has working appliances and A/C it may be worth it for me to buy for parts I need to finish out our 59. Then Part the rest.

Who neededs body pannels?

I have some friends that have a flat bed trailer that should be able to handle it if I can figure out how to get it on it and if it will be under 14ft tall.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:11 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
At first glance it seems better than the first one, especially with the frame rusting issues it had. As much as that though, the fact that the first one sat so long meant that all nature of insect and critter had a chance to get in there and do what they do (I think about how ants like to chew on wire casings) and how sitting idle for a long time tends to be hard on the running gear, tires, etc.

Aside from these things it appears to be a nice trailer. I'd have to concur with others in that you should always be prepared for the possibility of expense well above and beyond the initial investment. But for anyone, including myself who would choose an older trailer, that's part of the gig.

Old 04-01-2004, 09:46 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

So if I get this unit, the resoration process will certainly be a slow one, as we can do it. In it's current state, will it make the 900 mile trip back to home and can it be towed short distances (25-40 miles) and camped in until we can replace axles, etc?
Old 04-01-2004, 09:58 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Personally, I would be loathe to tow it that far (900 miles) without the tires you indicated that it might need. If the running gear is in questionable condition then I'm not sure the old tires could handle the heat and forces applied to them over such a long trek. If it were possible to replace tires within a short distance of the purchase location, and lights/brakes/hitch are in good working order, then I'd think you'd be okay.

Old 04-01-2004, 10:17 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' International CCD FB
1987 25' Sovereign
1977 23' Safari
North Olmsted , Ohio
Rita...looks like a nice unit, however I would be wanting to take a closer look at the tongue. Might be flaked paint, might be rust. If you really think that this is the one, the amount of money spent to view it in person would be well worth it or maybe forum member close by could give it their opinion.

Just my .02
Dave
Old 04-01-2004, 10:40 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
So if I get this unit, the resoration process will certainly be a slow one, as we can do it. In it's current state, will it make the 900 mile trip back to home and can it be towed short distances (25-40 miles) and camped in until we can replace axles, etc?
Bring your tires and a pair of ramps and hit the first good year you can find. Have them repack the wheel bearings and go for it. That coach looks like it was taken care of. Unless there is hidden rot, I don't see any big problems.
Old 04-01-2004, 03:15 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
How current are those photos? That WBCCI number on the front looks fresh and bright to me. They are notorious for fading.

I looked through current and past WBCCI membership directories, and I had to go back to 2001 to find that number in the book. At that time, the members lived in OH.

Here is the thread with the information about volunteer inspectors.
Old 04-01-2004, 03:32 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
greez

Rita,
In addition to the other checks~
The main thing I would do is: Inspect the floor in the rear bath..Then, check the floor all around the openings, like the door, etc. I would change the tires~! Otherwise, I agree with the other folk's comments..looks nice~!
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 04-01-2004, 11:01 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

I emailed and asked if everything worked and this is the response that I received: "as far as we know everything works, it has been sitting for 2 years when he went through a divorce and he got it. It was used at a local campground so really wasn't towed at all. they only place it was towed was when he had it towed to a dealer to have the A/C installed and while it was there the whole underneath of the toilet was redone, and a friend of his towed it to his sisters where it sits now and that's all. Before he got it the bearings were repacked and maybe 150 miles are on it since. " These people do love in Ohio so I am thinking that he and his wife were the original owners? What do you folks think?
Old 04-02-2004, 08:30 AM   #32
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
It looks in pretty good shape to me, and sounds like it could be sound. If I were in your shoes, I'd try to find someone on the forum here to go take a look at it for you. Have you contacted Rich about the list of volunteer inspectors he keeps?
Old 04-02-2004, 08:49 AM   #33
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Quote:
These people do love in Ohio
Awww, it's nice that they not only LIVE in Ohio, they also LOVE there.

Seriously, the list that Edie G was referring to could really help you. Nobody can say for sure that this Airstream is a good buy without a close-up inspection.

Go to the thread "So you want to buy a trailer that is 3 states away" which is here. Scroll down halfway down the first page and look for the Volunteer Inspectors List. You'll find six people willing to go check out trailers in Florida.

Pick one of those folks in the area nearest to the trailer and make contact via Private Message to see if they can go take a look. At the very least one of them can take better photos for you. It's well worth paying someone a few bucks for gas and postage to avoid buying a lemon!

-- RL

Old 04-02-2004, 08:56 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Quote:
You'll find six people willing to go check out trailers in Florida.
That's nice, but I think the trailer is in Ohio.
Old 04-02-2004, 03:52 PM   #35
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
No problem, we have four people in Ohio, too! (Although I think we have to re-assign Pick since he has migrated to Florida.)

Honestly, I'm not sure where this trailer is. Rita seems to have gone through a few of them in the course of this thread. One was in FL, but I guess the latest one lives near the owners in OH?

Old 04-02-2004, 09:28 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Rita, that looks like it was similar in condition to the coach I have now, when I first purchased it. I've put another $3K into mine, axles, tires, brakes, water heater, water pump, propane tank valves, counter top, plumbing repairs, fantastic fan, ThinLite, etc.
Still more to go..............
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Old 04-03-2004, 01:08 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

Exclamation going, going gone.

I guess I was to high for my region.IT SHOULD BE GONE 1972 AMBASSADOR INTERNATIONAL. I realized the couple dents, and restorations aren't always "fun" but I thought for sure it could bring E-BAY(The auction for the one in Harrisburg PA) , I truely believe that regardless of the problems $8500 RESTORED for the same unit would have brught this one a long way. I am a bit dissapointed not to keep it in the family And I hope it gets good use. Peace [FONT=Impact]
Old 04-06-2004, 03:29 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' International CCD FB
1987 25' Sovereign
1977 23' Safari
North Olmsted , Ohio
Question Ohio Airstream

Hello Rita
Did you find a member to evaluate the unit in Ohio, or have you given up on it?

I'm located near Cleveland.
Dave
Old 04-06-2004, 03:58 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Hi Rita;

There was one point on this forum that is sometimes overlooked when looking for a vintage trailer. 1K-3K may sound like a great "savings" and if your handy you can do a lot of work yourselves - but the materials still cost money! If you have to start replacing everything not to mention any structural repairs the bills will run up!

So set yourself a price you are willing to pay for a trailer - or can afford. Then look at the two choices - Initial low price + major repair prices or Higher initial price - with minimal repairs. Usually if you can find them and they are hard to find the latter is a better route to go.

Just by the pictures it does look really clean inside compared to many out there. But take heed to the warnings on the frame (replacingTires, Wheels, bearings are okay and expected) but the frame if rusted through would be a big expense (if you do not have the skill and tools to do it yourself).

Some people look for ever - and others (oops like us) just seem to be lucky and stumble across a real nice condition vintage trailer for a reasonable (little higher) initial price - but I will say nothing like the price of the recent GT on e-bay.

Good luck with your search - and if you decide on this one - you can count on the great people at this forum to help you along with virtually any question!