Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2004, 03:28 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

For Sale 1961 Caravel

Apparently rare, this camper is very clean and ready to roll. (see thread 1961 Caravel ~help~). New tires and repacked bearings. All original pink appliances in working order. The fridge makes ice cubes. The kitchen is a split style kitchen with the sink and fridge running perpendicular to the camper sides and the stove running parallel to the sides. All electric works inside and out (brake and running lights) and brakes are operable. Door is door-in-door style and is a suicide style door opening towards front of camper. We replaced the double mattress in the back of the camper. The front sofa is a pull out and could use new foam. We have most of the original paperwork for the camper, a matching drop leaf table and 2 folding chairs. We also have the original green striped awning. I know the ownership history of the trailer as we are only the third owners. Hot water heater has been replaced and works. The orginal heater is in the floor of the camper, I have no idea if it works or not. With a small amount of love and TLC you can have a beautiful camper by the end of the season. The only non-orginal items on this camper are the paint over the zelotone and carpet on the floors. Two small dents on back of camper and one small hole in belly pan from a jack. See my album for pictures of this camper. NW Ohio, with quick interstate access. 4 hrs to Chicago, 3 hrs to Columbus, 1.5 hrs to Detroit. $9500 OBO
Old 06-11-2004, 07:43 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Mr. Farm_Girl, Farm_boy has set the price on this camper. I have finally gotten him to reduce his asking price to $8000. Please feel free to call and harass him even further. I still want my horse trailer. Will trade towards a 3 horse gooseneck with a dressing room
Old 06-11-2004, 08:17 AM   #3
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farm_Girl
Mr. Farm_Girl, Farm_boy has set the price on this camper. I have finally gotten him to reduce his asking price to $8000. Please feel free to call and harass him even further. I still want my horse trailer. Will trade towards a 3 horse gooseneck with a dressing room
Farm Girl,
You should post his phone number. I think he's still a little on the high side.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:18 AM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I'm really surprised this trailer hasn't sold yet. It's got it's original appliances, it's small, it's cute, it's rare, what's up? People are paying rediculous prices for Bambis, and constantly advertising on the VAC that small AS like this are wanted. I hope someone buys this and finishes fixing it up. I'd love to run into it at a VAC rally someday!

Old 06-11-2004, 10:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
From my experience of selling my Traveler, once you get up in the higher price range, they can be slow to sell. It took me about a year to sell mine because I held firm on a price because of its condition. Most inquiries were looking for something in the 3-4k range. This is false economy because of the cost of restoration - as I am confirming with the 58 that I'm now restoring. In the case of the 58 I looked for over a year and could not find anything near the condition of my Traveler, so I settled for one that "needs a little work".

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Old 06-11-2004, 10:50 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
Buying from afar

Another "problem" is buying from afar... even with good pics, you can still have issues. We had a fiasco on Ebay, and then bought a trailer from a private owner.. the minute we walked in, we were in LOVE.

This is not to say that lots of trailers can't be sold from afar; I think it just takes some time. If anyone is considering this trailer, don't forget to check to seen if a near-by "buddy" could go eye it for you!
Old 06-11-2004, 11:59 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

If someone is interested, I'd run it up to Lansing for the International Rally for anybody and their brother to check out. We are 1.5 hours from Lansing. Just something to keep in mind

Hmmm..... No one has offered me a horse trailer yet?
Old 07-15-2004, 08:10 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Just an update. We put the camper on ebay and the auction ends Sunday. Here is the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

Feel free to email with any questions.

Thanks!

Angie
Old 07-15-2004, 11:48 AM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
I saw this on eBay last night. I can't believe she hasn't sold it yet. I wish I could collect Caravels

Old 07-15-2004, 02:41 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
It looks like it has problems

I think it may be the photos. Hopefully, Angie will check here before the auction ends, so she can try to get better ones posted. There aren't enough and they look like there might be problems--here are some bad selling points that I noticed with a quick evaluation:

-maybe it's just a wierd reflection, but it looks like there's a big dent in the back
-the dometic nameplate on the fridge appears to be falling off
-the axle looks dodgey in the photo (though can't really see it)
-The pink kitty ledge is an odd addition that potential buyers might want to know if it's easily removeable
-the woodwork appears scratched and worn
-it really needs more photos of the kitchen appliance, the comode, shower, flooring, closets, etc. (all the things a prospective buyer would check) to attract more interest
-finally, it's a shame to mention color since Angie has no control over it, but pink is a less appealing color to many folks--more of a liability than asset (appliances can be repainted, but that will be factored in an offering bid).

Presently, the high bid is $3,850.00 with a failure to make reserve. So long as the bid is valid, the high reserve is a shame, since that appears to be a fair offer for what is offered (especially if the axle really is shot and there is a big dent in the back).

What do other folks think?

Mary
Old 07-15-2004, 02:59 PM   #11
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Well, any 1961 trailer under 30k will need a bunch of work. Some of the high dollar, supposed Cherry like Bambis even needed a bunch of work.
Pink appliances are original to this era. Would be an asset to me, if i was doing a 50/s 60/s theme.
Maybe 8k is abit high, but 4k seems too low for an original, functional 1961 small body.
The axle on this should be a straight axle over leaf springs, which is quite cheap to replace.
I'd say why not 6-8k. Just my opinion, though.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:05 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Some thoughts...
  • ebay trailer auctions usually 'spike' at the end if it's a really nice trailer...so I wouldn't really worry about not meeting the reserve yet...unless it's $9500 as in the initial post here or even the reduced $8000, I think that's a bit high. But then again...maybe not, RJ's Price vs Condition site places an 'average' condition, 60's Bambi (which is essentially the same thing) in the $4500-8000 range.
  • clean & bright sell, a little elbow grease goes a long way also daylight photos
  • personal item (& cleaning products) shouldn't be in the pics...I see this all the time, yuck! BTW, I think the kitty ledge is actually a TV shelf...
  • I LOVE the pink appliances in the old trailers...makes them seem even more 'vintage' if that's possible
  • pictures & presentation are very important with auctions...the more the better & the quality really does make a difference. Pictures are all the buyer has to go by (unless they send out a scout)....if I were trying to sell something as large & valuable as a vintage trailer, I would link to a simple website with pics of E V E R Y T H I N G ! Vents to belly pan, tongue to tail...and everything in between.
  • just as important as pointing out the selling points, is disclosing it's weaknesses...if it does have flaws, don't gloss over them point them out, again all the buyer has is your words & pics.
  • what is shown is good...just needs more!
Just my 2-cents...

Good luck...if it doesn't hit the set reserve, you can always relist it with new/more pics ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 07-15-2004, 03:11 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Smaller trailers are very hard to find, therefore more pricey. If this one is all original, cabinets are in fair shape (even if a bit scratched) all plumbing ok etc - in other words pretty good trailer except for some cleaning and polishing - then its worth much more than the current bid. The items you mention, Mary, are all pretty easily fixable - the big problems would be major floor/frame rot - where you have to tear out the interior and rebuild.

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Old 07-15-2004, 03:17 PM   #14

1968 17' Caravel
I saw the dent in the pics, and really it's the only downside I can see. Sure the cabinets need some work to make them really shine, but it looks like they're all there. I think pink appliances are a plus Anything that old might need an axel, so you have to consider that. Still, someone paid $9k for my Bambi, sight unseen, and I turned away a dozen others who wanted it. I don't know why none of those people would have been just as happy to snap up this trailer. Hopefully it will spike at the end of the auction and she will get a good price for it.

Old 07-15-2004, 03:42 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
To add to Shari's further advice on improving the ebay notice, I'd suggest running the text through a spell checker. It's not that bidders are necessarily spelling fanatics, but I think it's important to make any posting as polished as possible (the seller wants to appear reliable).

As for my price evaluation--I suppose I got a great deal our Safari purchase (granted a larger trailer, but no dents, replaced axle).

Mary
Old 07-15-2004, 04:14 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

I think its high....

Seems really high ($9,500) to someone who has been looking for an under 22 ft. to restore. I agree with Ken J. "false economy" considering the true costs involved in restoring...even though it is "all" there, it definitly needs a lot of work. Seems like $4-6k range is more real.

Good luck!
Old 07-15-2004, 09:16 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Angie is reading us, she posted lots of really cool photos! We REALLY hope you get good cash for this. I hope my upfront evaluation hasn't been too difficult--but remember, it's all just opinions here!
Mary
Old 07-16-2004, 05:46 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

I have a huge project at work that I have to present today, so time is really limited. Yup, I did read and I did post a link, so I hope it helps. We'll see what happens. Thanks for the suggestions. It is sort of difficult to decide how to sell this camper. My husband has his own ideas and it is just so rare. I had so many people argue with me at the international rally about what I had. So, yup, it really is a 1961 Caravel! Stay tuned!
Old 07-16-2004, 10:12 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

One more...

I had previously posted on this site a picture of a fellow here locally in Commerce, Ca that has a 1961 Caravel with this same set-up. It is indeed a Caravel, with ther rear bed, cross-sectioned kitchen counter, and dinette up front. I had pictures of this cutie, but they are long gone.
Uwe,
Should you want to take a look at one of these locally, let me know.
Real nice guy will let us walk through his mansion.
F
Old 07-16-2004, 01:11 PM   #20
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabofabo
Uwe,
Should you want to take a look at one of these locally, let me know.
Real nice guy will let us walk through his mansion.
F
Fabian,
Thanks for the offer, I really appreciate it. I am more into the big trailers, though. Small trailers might be cute and all, but not for me.

Tags
1961, caravel