Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Marketplace > For Sale & Wanted
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2003, 03:13 PM   #1

Confused by Conflicting Reports

My wife and I are looking for a new TT (we have a 24' SPLASH) and yesterday saw (for the first time) the AIRSTREAM -- we really liked the Classic 30' Our concern is the relatively low Highway Control rating in the RV Consumer Group's "Green Book." Safety and handling are a major concern for my wife, and for that reason the low numbers on the A/S are cause for concern, yet the salesman insisted that A/S tow better than most travel trailers. Any experience/comments regarding the newer A/S?
Old 05-04-2003, 03:22 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I think most of the comments you might find on this forum might be a tad biased.

I think the A/S pulls equal or better than any other box on the road.

A big factor is what you tow it with too. Your "Splash" can be just as unsafe as the next RV if you tow with the wrong equipment.

Regards,

Eric
Old 05-04-2003, 05:28 PM   #3

Thanks, Eric. I would expect folks to be a tad bit biased about their A/S -- seems almost like a "cult" Then again, aren't we ALL inclined towards bias on the things we love?

For a tow vehicle we have a Yukon XL with the big engine and towing package--my wife shows horses and often pulls her horse trailer--so I'm confident as far as towing power goes.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 05-04-2003, 05:47 PM   #4
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Steve,

We are also looking at a 30 foot Classic. We think it fits our needs perfectly.

Also, we used to be members of the RV Consumer Group. While they do raise some valid issues that should always be considered, they tend to be a bit "goofy" when it comes to some of their ratings.

The Airstream has always held a fine reputation for ease of towing. I have talked to many owners who say they "tow like a dream".

For safety, we are also going with the Hensley Arrow hitch. We'll be towing with a Ford Excursion (Diesel).

Where did you see the Airstream ... Toscanos or Sky River?

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Old 05-04-2003, 06:57 PM   #5
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Just an opinion

Steve,

Not sure what the rating in the RV Consumer Group is all about. And my experience is based on renting a 3 year old 19' box brand "X" versus my 37 year old 26' Overlander. They pull about the same in my opinion. And I too am biased!

So here is a story: A man bought a 34' Motorhome. And on the first trip out he was on a highway. He set the cruise control for speed, walked back and got a cup of coffee. The motorhome crashed! He sued and won a million dollar judgement cause the motorhome manufacure did not tell him he could not do that. Now there is a section in the owners manual warning against that type of action.

So my point is take some responsibility and buy what you like! Be prudent in your preperation of anything and everything. (Does not just apply to RVing) And then take responsibility for the out come and enjoy.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 05-04-2003, 08:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Re: Just an opinion

Quote:
Originally posted by Action
Steve,

So here is a story: A man bought a 34' Motorhome. And on the first trip out he was on a highway. He set the cruise control for speed, walked back and got a cup of coffee. The motorhome crashed! He sued and won a million dollar judgement cause the motorhome manufacure did not tell him he could not do that. Now there is a section in the owners manual warning against that type of action.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
I thought we had debunked this one months ago!!

Another "urban legend", it never happened.

Chas
Old 05-04-2003, 09:20 PM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I hope it didn't. That guy, if real, would have had to have been the top Darwin Award winner of the century--hands down!

Eric
Old 05-05-2003, 12:04 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Urban Legend

Check out this previous thread

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 05-05-2003, 08:10 AM   #9
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Thank for the feedback guys.

So whether the story is true or not, the point I want to make is if one spends thousands of dollars on a SUV (or anything) that has thousands of parts, the safe operation and handling is the responsibility of the owner. Not your brother-in-law, the vehicle salesman, RV Consumer Group, or anyone else for that matter.

Look at things that you want. Check it out personally. And operate within it's intented design. If I had a 30' Classic, I would have you over. For that matter, you are welcome to check out my 37 year old Overlander. If you want to pull it with your truck to see how it tows.

Ask the dealership for referals of others that have bought a 30' Classic. If you are serious, put a deposit on one and make the sale contingent on a long test drive, under your conditions. And in the end safety is your responsibility.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

PS. As an ex-employee of an auto manufacture, there are many things put into owners (operation) manuals because of law suits. So the people that actually read the manual usually have to sift through 25% of the cautions and warnings to get to the how do I operate it properly.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally posted by Danny
Steve,

Where did you see the Airstream ... Toscanos or Sky River?
Sky River. We went there to look at a Companion (by Kit) and then were on our way to Fresno to look at a Splash (by National RV--we have a 24' Splash now). We saw the Safari with slide-out and were impressed, then we saw the Classic 30 and were in love! Spent over an hour looking at it and getting a feel for the quality and design. Never did make it to Fresno...
Old 05-05-2003, 09:29 AM   #11

Phoenix ~ Yeah it's hot however it's a dry heat!

Seems like that's another Urban Legend <g>
Old 05-05-2003, 10:11 AM   #12
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Just a bit off topic

Steve,

The dry heat is not an urban legend. It is in the high 80's to low 90's for this month and we should hit triple didgets by next month.

Ave annual rain fall is .1" for May and June. This year we have had rainfall that is in excess of last years total. This is a blessing since we are in a 4 year old drought.

Humidity is in the lower 30% bracket and will go to the teens soon. Less than 10% relative humidity is not unheard of in May and June. Which makes evaporitive cooling work so well. I like it better than A/C at this time of year.

>>>>>>>Action
Old 05-05-2003, 11:16 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
30 classic

We have a 2001 widebody 30' Classic and have towed it over 16,000 in the past two years. We tow with a 1500 GMC yukon xl and a hensley hitch. I wouldn't be without the hitch. If you purchase the hensley be sure to get the Jordan brake controller. Just changed the rear end to a 4:10 and should have purchased the vehicle that way. The trailer's great a couple of minor issues needed repair. If you purchase one, be sure to fasten the pocket doors before you tow. Also make sure all the windows are closed a latched. That way you can learn from another's stupid mistake$.

If you follow my adice above, you can save yourself a lot of money in trial and error and mistakes.

Good luck in your decisions.
Old 05-05-2003, 01:26 PM   #14
Rivet Master

SteveB2, I can only speak for myself. I have towed a lot of different kind of trailers - utility, box, boat, flatbed, and so forth, and nothing has ever towed as smoothly as my 25' Sovereign. I too have wondered about the RV Consumer Group's rating on the Airstream and a couple of other brands that seems out of line with the experience of people I know.

Mark
Old 05-05-2003, 04:03 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

I recently switched from a 25' "ultra-light" 5th wheel to a new 25' Airstream. I tow with a 2002 Tundra. I've been towing the Airstream with a common variety weight distributing hitch with a single friction type anti-sway bar. I've never had a "white knuckle" experience with the Airstream and I've towed in some very heavy crosswinds.

Without a doubt, the Airstream is easier to tow than the 5th wheel was. The 5th wheel was always a huge "presence" behind me. I felt I was dragging a very large barn around. I sometimes forget the Airstream is back there. My gas mileage went from 8 mpg with the 5th wheel to 10 mpg with the Airstream.

By the way. I just purchased a Hensley Arrow hitch. I want every advantage I can get when I expose a sizable monetary investment containing precious cargo to the wackos that populate our highways. (Of course I'm not referring to fellow Airstreamers.)
Old 05-05-2003, 04:13 PM   #16
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
mnikisher,

Your Tundra have the 4.7+/-L V8 w/ the tow package?

The tow package included 3.91 gearsets on that beast. If so, it has to tow very nicely.

Regards,

Eric
Old 05-05-2003, 04:28 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

It does. And it does.