Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Marketplace > For Sale & Wanted
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-28-2004, 08:23 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Question Advice for buying an Argosy MH?

hello all. so, im looking for an old argosy motorhome...20-24 footer...and was wondering if there are any things to look for/watch out for. 350cc or 454cc? im looking in the $5000 and under range, but willing to do interior work---am i dreaming?
thanks much.
michael

check out my site with images of past projects -- mobile living units
Old 01-28-2004, 11:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Kewl

Mike...
Kewl website and, "fantastic" interior work as well on the Airstream~!~
Go for it~
I'd think you'd want a 454, if such a thing exist~
I rather doubt a diesel would be available..(That would be my choice...)

ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 01-29-2004, 07:18 AM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Mike,

The 454 was an optional engine on the 20 footer. I hear they are rockets! The 20 footer is the only one that would come with a 350 and 16 inch wheels.

You are going to have to look for a while to find what you want in the budget you are proposing. Interior is only half of it, most older Argosy's need paint.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 01-29-2004, 07:41 AM   #4
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
At least in '74 the 350 was the base engine on the 24 ft Argosy, 16.5 split rims. Avoid them like the plauge, they have to be the ultimate lead sled. I wouldn't even go with the 350 in a 20 ft., small blocks don't have the torque of a big block.
I agree for <$5000 you will look for a long time and get a coach that needs lots of work, mechanically as well as interior. It might be better to transfer some of the restoration budget to the initial purchase price and get one that didn't need as much repair, you will probably save in the long run.

John
Old 01-29-2004, 08:24 AM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Food for thought:

I paid 5200 for mine last summer.

I paid 2000 dollars in expense (fuel, food, flights) to get it home

I had to redo the interior, I knew that going in, 3900, including a new water heater etc.

New Airbags and compressor ran 600

I blew the engine in Dallas on the way home, 6000 later I have it back with a GM reman with a 3yr 50K warranty. Price includes install and all new accessories including AC repair.

I still need tires, shocks, etc.

Doing the math I now have a $17000.00 coach sitting in my driveway. I had not run all the numbers before, and this is based on round numbers, not every receipt. It is still a bit shocking and depressing all at the same time.

The point I am trying to make is to find the best coach, condition wise, out there that you can. I am pleased as punch with the coach and would not consider trading it for any other. If you look at the Airstream coaches they tend to start in the 17-19K range for a 28 footer. I can use that as my justification since I would have to spend some of the same money after buying a different one.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 01-29-2004, 10:21 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

That makes the '78 24' Argosy with new motor, on Ebay for $12,900 sound not so bad.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:47 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Thanks All.

So sounds like I might be better off saving up a bit more before buying the cheapest rig that comes along. I guess it all starts to add up fast. Although if I save too much up I might end up with a mortgage instead of a motorhome.
Thanks for all the help.
Michael
Old 01-29-2004, 11:07 AM   #8
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Pepe,

I would agree that the one for 12,900 does not sound bad but I doubt that the new owners will maintain the lovely green upholstery. There are also some things wrong with that unit that would preclude me personally from buying it.

Mike,

The whole point I was trying to make was that a MH with all of it's systems can cost more to buy and renovate than a trailer. I know that if you were to by a 1978 GM Truck and a 28 foot 78 Airstream trailer and work to bring them up to the a personal standard that allows you to get in and go anywhere at the drop of a hat you will spend just as much if not more.

Yes, you can use the truck for other things, not just camping, but I use my MH to make runs to Lowe's and HD. It is the only thing I have that has a hitch on it so when I need to tow something I use it.

In your case, if you are looking to full time a mid 80's 34 footer would offer you a ton of space and the cost may not be that much more than you are looking to spend IMHOP.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 01-29-2004, 12:48 PM   #9

Advice for buying an Argosy MH

I had an Argosy 20 motorhome with the 350, and the acceleration
was much better than the 24 with 454 that I have now. The 350 got 10mpg, loaded with the air on. The dash air would keep the interior comfortable even on Fla summer trips.
Check the fresh water piping,my 78 was built with polybutlelene
fittings that leaked. I replaced it all, and that was difficult on the rear bath.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:00 PM   #10
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Thumbs up Ok, Brett... give it up!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by thenewkid64
I would agree that the one for 12,900 does not sound bad but I doubt that the new owners will maintain the lovely green upholstery. There are also some things wrong with that unit that would preclude me personally from buying it.
Brett... what's your assessment of this coach? (Other than the lovely green upholstery, of course )

Roger

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEBWA%3AIT
Old 01-29-2004, 07:25 PM   #11
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
OK, Let me give those who don't know a bit of history. My 76 unit had the green counters and some horrid drapes when we bought it so I tend to be a bit touchy regarding the green

Lets start with the exterior:

The unit has been repainted. If the color scheme suits, Great!. The Gas fill door is missing. This tells me the unit spent a lot of time parked and the door was not lubed to stop the pin from rusting/shearing. This is a NLA part, a bone yard is the only source and requires removal from the inside . The Ladder on the back??? Do I need to say more? There are some weird hooks on the roadside of the coach in the rear. it looks like a possible laundry line lash up. I would also be concerned with the necessary repairs to remove the CB antenna that has been mounted roadside. There are at the least 3 or 4 holes that could be leak sources. I also wonder why it is there since there is a factory one on the center marking light? The windshields look good, no fogging. That is an expensive fix as some of us know.

Inside:
Green, Uuugh. Definitely needs drapes, the microwave add on and microwave is covering the Nu tone, or the hole where it was. The box that is forward of the rear couch does not look OEM, I have no clue what it is. There is normally a room divider on this layout coach that creates two rooms for sleeping arrangements. I do not see the cross bar, but I see the stub wall that it would have been attached to. This unit should have a magic folding table in a slot behind the drivers seat.

Personally this is my least favorite layout for a MH since neither bed can really be left made up during the day and the coach allows for very little privacy if two people are in the coach. It sounds like the engine was done right, but if it was done locally getting warranty on it 3 states away may be a problem.

Please note this is my OPINION. I am not saying this is a bad coach, but it has been listed before on E Bay and must not have sold for a reason. Maybe the right buyer has not come along yet
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 01-30-2004, 06:14 AM   #12
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
ebay motorhome

Again an opinion.
Check the polished wheels, they are liners. The solar collector ($3000 for a single panel, maybe 40-50 watts?) mount is cracked curbside rear, some rusty looking fasteners, not much sign of any sealer. With the hooks Brett pointed out, ladder and collector there are a lot of holes for leaks. The tail lights don't sit square for some reason.

With the age and miles I would question any rubber part from the fresh water pump to tires; they look OK, but how old are they? What has been done to the fuel tank to prevent it from rusting, how much old gas is in it? A vehicle can sit unused for years and look good but when it begins to receive regular use it develops a lot of problems. Same for the generator.

John
Old 01-30-2004, 07:43 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
I passed on an Argosy '77' 24 footer here in COS. Skin was straight one cracked side window. All the hatch keys were available and working, paint bad, plastic trim exterior cracked in a couple of places. The 454 had 69,000 miles on it started and ran good, no 110 generator just an empty hole with fule line crimped off. Interior needed a lot of cleaning and some repair, and the vistia view window covers were stuck. I couldn't check out the water or waste water systems. Unit hadn't been used for a couple of years. It sold later that same day for $2,800.00 to a friend in central CO. I think it was a good buy but not one for me. I am also sure the new owner would be happy to get his money out of it now. I am looking for a trailer or may have bit on the MH at that price
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:48 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

If you guys think that 12 large for a unit isn't that bad, you should definitely get ahold of me. I have one with MANY new parts (including tranny) and an excellent running 86k mile 454 that I was planning to sell when the snow melted for alot less then that.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:18 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Ok, the big question.......how much?????

And, where is Flint, Michigan? Thats somewhere north of Oklahoma, ain't it?

Bill in the Great State

And still looking.
Old 02-09-2004, 06:54 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Geographically, Flint is roughly an hour north of Detroit. From your way though, you'd probably need to know that we're about 5 hours(ish) the other side of Chicago. From Chicago, head north till you smell it, then east till you see it.

Price wise, we really haven't nailed down what we are going to ask when the snow melts. I figured that when things warmed up, we'd give it the old spring cleaning routine and probably ask around $7,999.99 or best offer - and not be scared to remind people "or best offer".

I just fired it up last weekend and moved it around the yard, through the snow, and it had no problem firing right up after sitting for about 2 months untouched. I was VERY pleased to say the least.

Let me know if you're still interested and what additional info you might be interested in. I also have many pictures.

Thanks for the intersest,
John