Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Marketplace > For Sale & Wanted
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2004, 03:39 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
'64 GlobeTrotter on eBay

There is a '64 GlobeTrotter on eBay which has an awning set-up with the arms attached to the side of the trailer. It seems unusual that the awning is set-up that way because the door hinges are on the right side of the door. Therefore, the door will only swing open 90 degrees if the awning is open. I wonder if it is factory installed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3ASS%3AUS%3A1

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
Old 07-14-2004, 03:50 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

, Connecticut
Looks like the screen door cover might clear it ?
Old 07-14-2004, 04:10 PM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
The awning is a carefree. I doubt it is original. In the 60's most awnings were the fabric and pole types that InsideOut is currently using. Then the door was not an issue. The door folding back over the sidewall of the trailer also loses you additional window space and the associated air flow that goes with it. In the 50s I doubt that any trailers had AC, that trend slowly changed in the mid 60's.

The suicide door was a trade off, folks wanted to be able to ope the door all the way and have a now standard awning. Wally liked the door like the ebay example because it could not be blown open in travel. That is unless you can go backwards really fast.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 07-14-2004, 06:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
You're right Brett, that's exactly the issue we are dealing with. With an awning that has the arms attached, you can only oen the door 90-degrees.

However there is a 'good' solution I have seen...evidently ZipDee used to make an arm that detaches from the trailer at the bottom and swings out into a vertical position. The bottom then would be staked into the ground...pretty cool, however, those aren't available new anymore The person that told me this is a ZipDee dealer who ia a trusted member of the WBCCI DenCO Unit.

I have seen the brackets on his trailer and a couple of others...but have not really researched them...since deciding to go the vintage looking pole & stake route. Maybe this GT has something similar, can't tell.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 07-14-2004, 07:16 PM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Shari,

I have had a coupe of carefree awnings and they had the "carport" feature that you describe. This may have it too, but most people don't realize that the feature exists. I showed a brand new (2005) MH owner how his worked at the R3 Rally.

I figured all you need to do on a zip dee to do that is replace the lower bolt with a pin? I guess not.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 07-14-2004, 08:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
However there is a 'good' solution I have seen...evidently ZipDee used to make an arm that detaches from the trailer at the bottom and swings out into a vertical position. The bottom then would be staked into the ground...pretty cool, however, those aren't available new anymore
The regular ZipDee arm can easily be detached from the trailer and mounted to the ground using a gadget which I've seen for sale at International rallies. See my prior thread on this topic...

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ead.php?t=7103

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
Old 07-14-2004, 09:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewkid64
I figured all you need to do on a zip dee to do that is replace the lower bolt with a pin? I guess not.
Close Brett...but the bracket part comes off on the one I saw, not just the arm. Then you stake the bracket into the ground
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
The regular ZipDee arm can easily be detached from the trailer and mounted to the ground using a gadget which I've seen for sale at International rallies
I suppose that would work yukionna...but it looks pretty cumbersome & more extra pieces compared to the ZipDee bracket I've seen. I'll have to get a picture at our next rally & post it.

The old ZipDee bracket has a rooster-type catch to simply release the arm & bracket from the trailer...no 'extra' parts except for the stakes.

Oh well...we are very happy with our pole & stake awning...will replace it with a Sunbrella Fabric one someday, with matching window awning sleeves.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty