Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2004, 12:21 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Cool 28' 1977 Argosy MH for sale in MI - $8,500/best

All,

I know it's been a while since I last popped in for a visit and I do so now with mixed emotion. I'm sad to report that we have forced ourselves into selling our 1977 Argosy Motorhome. We bought it to upsize our camping arrangement when our family grew from one child to two - and are now selling for the same reason. Our third child arrived on Easter morning and we just bought another, bigger, motorhome to accomodate us better. We bought a 1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge 35FC and, although we love it, absolutely cannot justify keeping our Argosy.

I'm listing this off of memory, but here's the specs on what has been replaced in reverse order.

THE GOOD:
It has only 86k miles on a Chevy 454 and only FIFTY miles on a brand new 400 transmission and heavy duty TC. The trans was rebuilt at the most reputable transmission shop in town. They do the builds for all the local guys that only turn left at the racetrack - which is right next to the shop. It was replaced last October (2003) and the 50 miles were what it took for me to drive it to the tranny shop so they could verify the quality of my install and begin my 1 year warrenty coverage - which they immediately did without hesitation.

It also has a full air bag assisted suspension and four wheel disc brakes that have ALL been gone through recently - front AND rear last fall right before the tranny was rebuilt. It also, last fall, had the whole steering system inspected, parts replaced (steering box too, I think), and a fresh alignment.

Last summer right before we went camping, I had a fresh rebuild on the carburator from the most reputable carburator shop (IMHO) in town as well. It fires right up. Runs excellent and drives excellent. I also replaced all the engine belts WHILE we were camping. The carb has about 450 miles on it and the belts about 250 miles.

The previous fall, 2002, I replaced the batteries and had the whole plumbing system gone through by a "30 yr RV Technician" and all is still very well with that and the system is still full of the pink stuff right now.

It has twin beds towards the back and the bathroom is in the WAY back. The fridge, freezer, plumbing, shower, both sinks, roof a/c, and furnace all work excellent. The dash a/c doesn't quite cut it - but you shouldn't expect it too on a space that large.

It has very nice Zip Dee awnings that I waterproofed two summers ago. It has the main one on the curb side and the small one over the rear bathroom window. Both are in great shape with NO rips tears or patches.

All the tires are in very good condition.

THE BAD:
The only non-working thing that I couldn't find the time to fix is the generator. It's a 6000W Onan. We were told that it worked great until a potential buyer that looked at it immediately before us turned it off and on about 20 times in a row before the previous owner could get out to the MH and put a stop to it. I tinkered around with it, got it running one time, bought a new $70 coil that didn't fix it, and planned to take it somewhere this spring - but now am not going to. Not having it didn't hurt our camping one single bit. The only thing I know about electricity is that it hurts me every time I touch it. It really does seem to be a simple issue of troubleshooting since the problem is not with the electricity output portion of the generator - the issue is getting spark to the plugs to make it start.

THE UGLY:
The wheels are ugly. I was going to paint them cream colored to match the body color, but never got around to it since it never was a real priority and realistically was a "foo-foo" project. The ugly wheels never hurt the runnin' of it and painting them wouldn't have made our vacations any funner.

You should be able to CLICK HERE to see pics of it through our yahoo photo album.

Because I believe that you could drive this big baby back home to Anywhere, USA without issue and we have replaced almost everything that would give you trouble, we have priced it at $8,500 or best offer. It's in excellent condition, does not leak anywhere, and comes with a very extensive documentation of ownership and maintence history. Please notify me if you'd like to know any further info that I have not already provided.

I can be reached at the following numbers:
home: (810) 424-1699
cell: (810) 869-2356 anytime

Thanks for the look,

John
Old 05-19-2004, 12:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Wanderlodge, my "other" favorite MH. Should be an awesome ride for your family. I looked at an 82 here, but not yet ready to make that jump. They are quite a machine.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 05-19-2004, 02:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Yeah, I almost hate to say it, but when the time comes to replace my 28' MH, I may jump ship and head for Bluebird. Anyway, it's a close cousin since the aluminum is what it's all about (usually).
Old 05-20-2004, 06:52 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Red face

Huh. I was under the impression that my new bird is all galvanized steel. I know the Bird's 3208 Cat/Allison trans setup weighs more than the 454/400 setup in the Argosy, but at a 30,000 pound GVW - I can't imagine it being aluminum.

I have a TON to learn about it though so you could VERY well be right.

I do know this, though, if we ever decide to get out of the bird - I'll be AAALLL about getting another Airstream "Toasterhome". We LOVED camping in that thing, seeing people nudge their friends and point to us, gettin the thumbs ups, it having such a wide open floorplan, etc. We actually were going to wait until NEXT year to even LOOK at a different rig when I stumbled across a deal on the Bluebird that we couldn't refuse.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:41 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Price is pretty negotiable if somebody is interested, but I knew I had to provide some kind of starting point at the very least.

If you're interested in the bus, let me know and we'll probably be able to work something out to suit us both/all.

Thanks for the look,

John, Adria, Blase, Kaleigh, and Jade
Old 07-20-2004, 07:52 PM   #6

Where in MI are you located? I have been looking----I'm in NE Iowa
Old 07-26-2004, 10:52 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

It actually sold a few weeks ago - I just forgot to post it as such.