Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-20-2013, 06:46 AM   #1
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
What about a 'tech' section?

On other sites, the handiest tips are moved/copied to a section called 'maintenance' and 'Tech Fixes'.

Members 'vote' on the best candidates and the 'old saws' recommend target postings..and solutions which are best done.

Just a thought.. anyone think this is a good idea or is it already here and I just can't read well enough to locate? Or, it is named something else?

Great work, BTW on the site.. thanks for doing the work to make it happen!

Sincerely,
Channing
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
There was talk a while back of doing "FAQ" threads in the forums that would cover this kind of thing, I think. I wrote one for winter camping, for example, which is stickied in that forum. Unfortunately the effort seems to have petered out after that one, but I still think it's a good idea.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
There was talk a while back of doing "FAQ" threads in the forums that would cover this kind of thing, I think. I wrote one for winter camping, for example, which is stickied in that forum. Unfortunately the effort seems to have petered out after that one, but I still think it's a good idea.
Kewl, that should work out and be a strong show of a need vs problem solution.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Not to be one against change, but I think this format works well.

The hot topics and questions folks need help with quickly show up on the portal and can be quickly spotted and responded to by those who know the answers.

If one is ready to sit down for an extended search and dig for more info, very specific categories exist for that.

What is an 'Old Saws" ?

Just my opinion..

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
On other sites, the handiest tips are moved/copied to a section called 'maintenance' and 'Tech Fixes'.

Members 'vote' on the best candidates and the 'old saws' recommend target postings..and solutions which are best done.

Just a thought.. anyone think this is a good idea or is it already here and I just can't read well enough to locate? Or, it is named something else?

Great work, BTW on the site.. thanks for doing the work to make it happen!

Sincerely,
Channing
I would like to see something like this also.

However, the problem with this type of thread is that a person makes a comment about the subject, someone else responds to the comment and adds something not related, etc, etc, and the thread goes off in another direction. When I have tried to find information through searching threads, I usually get discouraged and move on to something else before I find an answer.

It could work better, if there was a way that the side discussions could be edited away. Or, if there was a way to create a post that allows the creator of the post a semi-private thread (only the original person can post and other's can read). Comments could come back as a PM to the original person. If the original thinks the responses are relevant to the original subject, they could add them to the thread. (just thinking in public, sorry)
Old 06-20-2013, 02:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Using the Google search engine at the top of the page does a much better job than the first line search. In the past I would do a search on the top search and get a lot of weird stuff, now using google and all tech questions stated right would produce answers from the archives.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:12 PM   #7
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
I really like what we have here!

Specific questions are asked and answered with uptodate information, and historic information can easily be searched.

I don't see a need for a great change.

When posting on a subject, post that in the title or tag section and it will easily be found by using the search.

One of the reasons this site has such a large following, is that it is as much a social site as it is an information tool.

If you restrict this social aspect of being able to comment on a post, then you might as well just go to the OEM's site and read their posted documents for your information .

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
Using the Google search engine at the top of the page does a much better job than the first line search. In the past I would do a search on the top search and get a lot of weird stuff, now using google and all tech questions stated right would produce answers from the archives.
I do not see a way to use Google search in the view that I see. Are you using Chrome as your browser?
Old 06-20-2013, 02:54 PM   #9
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Click your cursor on the search. The drop down has about 10 lines of information. Read them all. I have IE 9.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
I do not see a way to use Google search in the view that I see. Are you using Chrome as your browser?
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
Old 06-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
I really like what we have here!

Specific questions are asked and answered with uptodate information, and historic information can easily be searched.

I don't see a need for a great change.

When posting on a subject, post that in the title or tag section and it will easily be found by using the search.

One of the reasons this site has such a large following, is that it is as much a social site as it is an information tool.

If you restrict this social aspect of being able to comment on a post, then you might as well just go to the OEM's site and read their posted documents for your information .

Dave
I totally agree that the social part of the forum is it's best aspect. I have gained a lot from it! I do not want to change this.
I was just saying that there could also be a separate place for instructional threads, that would not be hindered by off subject discussions.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:02 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
Click your cursor on the search. The drop down has about 10 lines of information. Read them all. I have IE 9.

Dave
I had not noticed this Google search. When I use this drop down I have always used the advance search tab, thinking that would give the best results.
Thanks!
Old 06-20-2013, 03:05 PM   #12
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
I think if you want the bare facts, just go to the OEM's website and look up the relevant information posted.

However, as time passes, some of the out of date documents drop off the OEM website with new employees/management/tech updates. Thats where this type of forum comes into play.

Also, some documents are hard to read the first time approaching a problem. Again, this forum helps one to understand what approach is best and some of the pitfalls that you will run into on a repair/rebuild/replace project.

The other concern is that this forum is overmoderated now to keep the content presentable. I don't think the mods need any additional work load??????

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
I totally agree that the social part of the forum is it's best aspect. I have gained a lot from it! I do not want to change this.
I was just saying that there could also be a separate place for instructional threads, that would not be hindered by off subject discussions.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:11 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hendersonville, NC , North Carolina
We already have one... it's under forums>Technical Section - to the right of Model Specific Section and Community Section unless you're talking about some different tech.
kokopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I kind of think we suffer as a site from having the world's largest tech section:

Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums - Airstream Forums

Lynn
Old 06-20-2013, 09:55 PM   #15
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Thanks for the thoughts!

"Searching" is a definite BLACK ART. I can find things quickly on the web... But cannot remember where I last used my hair comb... Not my "thing" I suppose.

I hear lots of purveyors of the Art of the Search recommend folks to "due diligence" when they are posting out of frustration in locating their specific solution. This doesn't work as well as expected from the Mobile version. You can imagine my point here.

What I envision/imagine is a tech section which has solidly stated "problem/resolution".

Here is an example:

Problem: waste tanks dump valve leaks
Solution:
- here are steps to verify and identify your valves.
- here is rebuild kit for Thetford 806678, etc.
- here is how you can properly flush and sanitize tanks
- here are steps and tools to create ACCESS PANEL in to your valves on your AS model a, b, ...etc
- here are numbers to call when you are in over your head and just need a calm reassuring presence.

Basically, a "MAP" or Maintenance Analysis Procedure... Steps clearly stated... I can reference many from motorcycle forums where tech folks work out these steps on critical areas such as ABS brakes, transmissions, engine diagnostics, etc. This community would benefit in ways you might never expect. Such as becoming even more stable as a RESOURCE for self sufficient types I am learning many of us are.