Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2003, 06:53 PM   #1

Lightbulb What about a FAQ thread?

I have another idea.

As had been mentioned before, it's easy to talk about improving the forum, but a lot of circumstances make it imposible or difficult. OK, I agree.

BUT: one simple thing could be done, if only a few people wanted to participate.

As I mentioned earlier, why not steal ideas from other Forums?

One very neat idea can been found in the RV.NET Forum. Here it is:

they have a FAQ thread maintained by the members.

It is not because we are younger and outnumbered (nearly 15 to 1), that we cannot do it.

The great things about this FAQ thread are:
_ it can start very small, only a few lines
_ it does not require moderators' help (they can of course intervene when we are s****ing-up too much)
_ it can grow as long as we keep at it and keep it in the top list of new stuff.
_ it could be very useful

Where and how this all got started.
on the RV Net Forum (here is a summary):

"With new RVers coming onto the forum every day and while "getting their feet wet," some will ask innocently, a question that frequently comes up (Wal-Mart parking, holding tank dumping procedures, checklists, fridge on propane, backing up, etc.). Many times we'll answer their questions, but I've seen times where we see postings "Oh, Lord, here we go again!" which, to a newcomer, can be traumatic, especially if this is the first time they've posted.

"Would it be reasonable or desired for a posting that provides the common questions and links to the threads in this forum which addresses them? If new information may be added, it can be added in any of the threads rather than starting a new one with the same information (conclusion?). The FAQ thread could be "refreshed" once a week or more frequently by posting a "refresh" reply.

"It's not meant to stifle participation, but it could help reduce the non-helpful replies.

"What does this esteemed group think about this idea?"

or, in other words: "Whachoo thinkaboaw dat ?"

Here is what they ended up with:
Frequently Asked Questions on the Open Roads Forum
, look at it, it's pretty neat. (summary: )

"About this thread:
"This thread is a kind of an "Index" to topics that have been raised many times on the forum. It is not a "Topic Search Engine." That is already provided by the forum.
"It is by no means all inclusive of all the discussions done on this forum. To maintain a true index is a daunting, if not impossible, task.

"It is also definitely not meant to stifle discussion nor to quash any new topics from being created. It is here to provide quick links to some discussions that have taken place in the past . If you are aware of a topic and thread and want it added here, please post a reply to this thread with the FAQ and the link to the thread so I can copy it here."

You see, it's that simple.

Now, I am sure there are many ways to go at it. One would be for volonteers to declare themselves, say what topic(s) they are interested in gleaning.
Here is how I started: "search: tow AND towing AND towed". Got 16 pages. Let's say member #1 takes 4 pages, #2 takes....etc....
A lot of stuff on these 16 pages were either unrelated or so brief that they can be by-passed.

Each member can make his list like that:

_ HELP..... I've never towed before !!!!

Newbie Towing Questions

Another towing question

towing?

Towing equipment basics

_ Can I tow my Airstream with that?

Tow vehicle rating

............. and more: see link at the bottom of this page..............

It can be done fast. What I did was: I had rows of lines ready to go like this:

[url=http://www.airforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=

Then, off line, I added the id# along with title of thread.

Thread can be listed in order by sub-topic, or no order if someone is too lazy. A not too organized list is still very useful. And this is where some moderators can volonteer to re-sort that thread. Even once a week, a month, what ever.

Maybe instead of one FAQ thread, several FAQ threads ? like one for "towing", one for "electric",.... easiest to maintain in a way.

And: links to the "outside world" can be included. Maybe with a [b]*[/b] , or some kind of other flag.

OK, any volonteers?

I have already started. Done only 3 pages. More, I am sure can be gathered from these 3 pages. I started with the ones which had the most answers. Maybe some are going to be real duds. Some short ones I omitted may be very good. BUT: everything can be added, modified,.......

Don't be shy now, you can do it. If you can help: you should. It's your duty or you are going to lose your rivets

FAQ about towing
femuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 07:22 PM   #2

I must be losing it !!!!

Too much pollen swallowing for Easter, I guess.

I started 3 or 4 threads about TOWING, etc... the same day, and I saw an answer to one of them.... and then this evening I cannot see it?

I seem to remember it was from Pap, is it, or Paps?

Was it to this thread?

If you are there, Pap, let me know.

Thank you
Old 04-20-2003, 08:41 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Don't know quite how to do it but
definately agree with your FAQ idea.
Heidi
hhuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 09:14 PM   #4

Hi, Heidi, I'm glad you like the idea.

I know the one on the Open Road Forum has made life a lot easier for me. I have found a lot of answers to questions I didn't know I had. I have discovered plenty of things that a simple "SEARCH" couldn't find...... I didn't know I should search for them in the first place.

How to do it? it's not too difficult.

You can check the way they did it in the RV Forum:

Where and how this all got started on the RV Net Forum

and then see what it looks like, with info on how to maintain it. It's pretty simple: Frequently Asked Questions on the Open Roads Forum

Then you can check my beginning of a FAQ about towing. I am starting to work on one on Camping, boondocking, destinations. Things wich are all mixed up with towing in the "On the Road" part of the Forum.

Frequently Asked Questions about towing

FAQs on a lot more topics can be started like that, starting with the ones which seem to always end up in the wrong place.

The only thing needed are a few more volonteers.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:52 PM   #5
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
K.I.S.S. method?

I think if people are smart enough to buy an Airstream, they are smart enough to navigate this site. It's not rocket science.
Newbies are going to be somewhat confused no matter how many instructions are given. I like the casual and friendly approach that this site presents, i.e. "the only dumb questions are those not asked". This relaxed atmosphere in my opinion is one of the main reasons this site is constantly gaining in
popularity. I find it very user-friendly as is.

Rog

P.S. pap's post was on http://www.airforums.com/forum...ghlight=towing
Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 10:41 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
have you guys (gals) missed the FAQ button above the threads?
Or is it not what you are looking for?
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 11:13 AM   #7

Quote:
have you guys (gals) missed the FAQ button above the threads?
Or is it not what you are looking for?
Nope.

Absolutely no similarity.
Old 04-21-2003, 01:00 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Smile

Femuse-
I for one really appreciate all of the work you did to
put together FAQ towing. I have done extensive
reading of airstream info on the net but am a complete
amateur.(Regarding trailers anyway.)
The key for me which you stated in your first post is,
"Questions I did not even know I had."

Keep up the good work. I'll still be asking questions
but I'll be reading your FAQ too! Why can't we all
navigate the forum in the way that works best for us?
Heidi
hhuber is offline   Reply With Quote