Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2006, 07:34 AM   #21
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhawk
Then I must assume that some posts were removed and I didn't see them. Right? If that is so then it makes sense.
Jim,
Yes we deleted some posts prior to locking the thread. They did not really add anything to the subject of the thread.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 07:40 AM   #22
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
That is too bad. That thread was very interesting and there was still a lot to say. I guess since politics get involved that it might generate some hostility but can't we all just get ALONG!

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:04 AM   #23
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhawk
That is too bad. That thread was very interesting and there was still a lot to say. I guess since politics get involved that it might generate some hostility but can't we all just get ALONG!
No, apparently we can't "all just get along" sometimes. That's why the moderation staff removes posts and locks threads. It would be delightful if we didn't have to.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 01:14 PM   #24
_

. , .
learning to get along......

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
It was becoming a flame war with personal attacks which are not tolerated. As far as I know no one was warned for any posts in that thread. May I direct your attention to the Community Policies second paragraph Aaron

No, apparently we can't "all just get along" sometimes. That's why the moderation staff removes posts and locks threads. It would be delightful if we didn't have to.Roger
hello roger, aaron, the mods.......and others

i understand you're volunteers (i think) and time is a premium...but it does seem that folks could benefit from a more detailed explaination...either at the end of the thread when locked, or by private message......so as not to commit the same transgression again....

there were several posts by me and i don't recall attacking anyone....also wasn't trying to spark a flame. if i did either, i would certainly want to know about it......even without a formal warning.

we can learn from the examples...not from deletions.

there was some humor, some nonsense, some big corporation discussion...but i missed the threats and so on....must have happened after logging off?

also if there was some personal attack directed toward me, or anyone...the person would want to know about that...again even if communicated privately.....it would seem purdent to do this.

personal communications carry some liability....for the sender and the forum....i'm not sure just deleting them removes that liability....and certainly doesn't educate anyone about the transgression....

there are plenty of threads here with posts that seem as odd, silly, useless or quasi political and yet are interesting to some....that aren't deleted. i also realize these are sometimes judgement calls.....while some wrongful posts are obvious......

so perhaps the goal of 'getting along' could be furthered by elaborating when a thread runs afoul. this wouldn't take much effort and might save time later so as to not repeat the foul...

one thing is sure.......
expecting folks to tiptoe around the unknown....
doesn't really help us get along.
just some thoughts.........

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 03:28 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
The difficulty in any online format is that it is online. We can't see your facial expression, read your tone of voice, or any other body language that indicates the meaning of your words. It is always good to ere on the side of nicety.

Way to go Moderators for removing personal attacks before they are seen. I don't think there is a need to say that we erased a post because so and so said this or that.

Sorry it is vague. Yes people should be able to just choose to read something or not, to ignore the conversations they find offensive. But we are a community, meaning we have to be sensitive to all in the community. If you stick to the topic of Airstreams, Airstreaming, etc you should have no problems. It is when the thread begins to slide from the topic of how politics, money, etc affects Airstreaming that readers begin to consider the post "off topic."

Hope this clarifies a bit.
Kathleen
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 05:02 PM   #26
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberlanders
If you stick to the topic of Airstreams, Airstreaming, etc you should have no problems. It is when the thread begins to slide from the topic of how politics, money, etc affects Airstreaming that readers begin to consider the post "off topic."

Hope this clarifies a bit.
Kathleen
So now I really am becoming uneasy. If you hadn't added that dreaded word politics I would have been okay, but now I feel that someones environmental views are at play here and I really don't think that is a good thing.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 05:08 PM   #27
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Jim,

I assure you that you're reading things into this that aren't there. Many threads deal with political topics from oil prices to public land use. We consider that appropriate. The E85 thread was very informative until it got off-topic. You are free to voice your opinions on just about any subject you choose as long as the way you express it isn't offensive. We've had some pretty far-ranging discussions and I've been a frequent poster in some of them. Opinions, when appropriately and properly expressed, are encouraged. Anything that can be construed as an attack on another member violates the "play nice" policy and those posts get zapped and threads get closed as a result. Unfortunately sometimes the folks who posted may not have considered what they posted offensive. Intervention is seldom done by a single moderator without discussion on the Moderator's Forum. There is generally a consensus reached by several moderators before permanent action is taken.

I hope that clears this up for you.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 10:31 AM   #28
HHP
2 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Yucca Valley , California
Why don't you just use this when there is a problem with a poster?

HHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 10:37 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Thumbs up Trust me...

Sometimes, we'd like to!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 01:22 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Wanted Dead or Alive

I say just appoint a lynch mob and bring your pitch forks and torches and lets us have a real wingding. We can hang the offending party and move on to the correct topic subject! After a few beers, some loud Wooo Hooo shouts, and chanting we'll thump our chests, while standing around the fire of the offenders home, trailer, and anything else that we can Burn....Yeah! Party! LoL
Seriously though, great edit by moderators to nip this stuff in the bud! We all should think before we type. It is very true that everyone here can read different things into what may be innocent comments by others. We all should strive to hold each other to a standard that applies fairly to all who post here. I think the moderators do a good job of helping to keep in check things that might turn offensive to others, or by the removing of comments expounding on what might seem to others as a personal attack. Keep up the good work!!! Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 08:02 PM   #31
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Exclamation Egyptian Warning System

Is this outsourcing of the warning system? Nefertiti all of a sudden appears when I post, and I found that her message on the hieroglyphics online translator means "step away from the computer."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hierowarning.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	18828  
Attached Images