Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 05:15 PM   #1
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Rivet WallyWiki.org BETA

Last January I bought WallyWiki.org with the intent to setup a Wiki system to help capture the history of Airstream Trailers and Motorhomes. I have finally gotten around to setting up the basic framework for the system but need the help from our more technical members to keep evolving the framework.

If you don't know what a wiki is, then please give us a couple of months to get the system setup and then we will post more information about what it is, why the Airstream community needs one and how the Creative Commons license allows us to contribute and share the information for free as long as it is not for commercial purposes.

Sooo, if you are technically savy, know what a wiki is and willing to help get the system setup, please post to this thread and add your name to the home page of the new Wiki site...

This is going to be a fun project. If any of you want to help lead the effort please send me a PM and we can get you the admin rights needed to help get this going.

Brought to you by the folks @ AirstreamForums.com
Old 01-28-2006, 02:55 PM   #2
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Hey everyone. Some members are starting to work on Wally Wiki. If you know what a wiki is and want to help get this project going, please register and add your name to the home page.

This is going to be an awesome resource for the Airstream Community! Chip in today and be proud to be one of the founders of this project.

For those that don't know what a wiki is, stay tuned, once this project is going, you will see how it works!!!
Old 01-28-2006, 05:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Very cool

I wish I had the smarts to help, but I do have the smarts to say this is going to be great! I love how this forum continues to grow, thrive and innovate. Thank you Andy .

photography
Old 01-28-2006, 06:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
I might add that you don't have to be TOO tech savvy! Don't be afraid of this - step up to the plate.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 01-28-2006, 09:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R
Hey everyone. Some members are starting to work on Wally Wiki. If you know what a wiki is and want to help get this project going, please register and add your name to the home page.
Seems like one of the first tasks would be to define what WallyWiki is and is not.

If it is just "the intent to setup a Wiki system to help capture the history of Airstream Trailers and Motorhomes"
Then it would seem that books like "AIRSTREAM The History of the Land Yacht" by Bryan Burkhart & David Hunt copywrite 2000 have already done a lot of this.

Am I missing the point?
AIR #10274
Old 01-28-2006, 09:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Wally's Wiki

Yes only in comparing the Wally Wiki with Wikipedia. Yes there is already an encyclopedia in book form out there but the wikipedia may now actually contain more information than a dozen sets of encyclopedias. There is no limit to the information that a wiki can contain.
WallyWiki is more than a history repository. The benefits of that alone are tremendous. Imagine what contributions that have not yet been documented in book form might exist out there that now can be. I bet there are people out there who actually knew Wally and have something to say about him and the history of Airstream.
But more than that the WallyWiki will serve as a repository for how-to's, and guides for any aspect of ownership in a structure that surpasses a forum. Yes a forum is good for communicating with other people but not the best option for documenting an overhaul. Look at Uwe thread on his trailer. There tons of responses to that thread and not all relevant to the topic. If Uwe were to combine all of his posts into an article in the WallyWiki specific to his year and make, that will be all the information in one place. Not only that but if someone else detects an error in something Uwe contributed to the wiki, that person can make a correction so the accuracy of information becomes less anecdotal and more factual.

I my self have information on out '77 Overlander that I will be contributing on our repairs and discoveries.

This is more than a history - it's a wiki. It's Wally's Wiki. Will you contribute?
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 01-28-2006, 10:34 PM   #7
_

. , .
greeting wiki neophytes........

no offense toward ne1 that has signed up......but who among you has experience designing a wiki? or a web page? or using the syntax associated with a wiki? like most things binary this isn't hard to learn but techies tend to do this stuff. are some of you techies? it isn't particularly fun or exciting formatting a web site, home page or wiki......is it?

sure many might want to contribute content to a wiki site,
others might want to control/edit/delete someone else's contribution,
still others might want to promote a specific agenda or harp on one issue.

it's all possible and it's all content here or on a wiki.

most time tested experts on a given topic, who have the background and some understanding of the facts (not the same as knowing the facts) avoid wiki like sites. they don't want (understandably) someone else editing with out validation.

yes restorations, how to's and personal mods are important and make good reading....but history (a group of lies agreed to) should be keyed by the folks who actually have the history.

the wally history has been written in any of the nice trailer books available. there are a few very good wb and a/s historians occasionally posting here...and the wbcci has folks and airstream corp has folks.....

my understanding of andy's first post about this was he wanted......

"if you are technically savy, know what a wiki is and willing to help get the system setup"

and for others who want to do content, contribute and yadda, yadda.....we were to wait until some explanations were provided and design was revealed....

are some of you working on the design side now? has the design be revealed? has the notion be explained yet?

www.wiki.org

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WikiDesignPrinciples

cheers
2air'
Old 01-28-2006, 10:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
2air,

Take a look at wikipedia.org. It is not a sinister thing. It is a productive project. One that I have myself contributed to.

The wallywiki is a work in progress as are these forums and for that matter practically anything on the web. Hopefully you too will contribute in a positive way.

Do you have experience or have you contributed to a wiki before?
Old 01-28-2006, 11:18 PM   #9
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup
Take a look at wikipedia.org. It is not a sinister thing.

buttercup

no where in my post did i suggest wikipedia or any wiki is a sinister thing. didn't use that word, didn't imply that, didn't suggest that, didn't think that....

i've used wikipedia for years if i need a quick reference on pop culture or simple history or links to other sites on a topic. but i also have read many listing on items where i have some knowledge depth. those entries usually leave me cringing. it's of no practical use to edit important subtle errors because someone/s with way more time and desire comes along and reposts popular but incorrect info. i'm a retired physician and former university professor. going to wiki for medical info is a very dangerous thing. fixing the info is useless.

i also have hobbies, interests and other avocations. some i'm pretty good with and the mistakes in the wikipedia are more entertaining.....like movie reviews or lay op/ed pieces....

my point was if you have to "look up" wiki you probably shouldn't be helping design the site.....and those are andy's words i paraphrase.

so again i'll ask do you have any experience in web design, wiki design, or any media design.....it's a simple question.

here's another question.....can you explain in 2 sentences what/how a wiki is designed/constructed.......not the content side...the architecture side......??

be honest and don't google for any answer.

my read of the his first post was to solicit those people......and we knowitalls would come later.

andy has an airstream but he is really a techie who has created a place where we can go discuss them, or travel or home repair or royalty or strength training.....it's great that he has used his special skills so the rest of us can add the content.

cheers
2air'
Old 01-28-2006, 11:38 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Whoa doggie - reign in those horses.

I know what Andy said. What I am saying is that everyone can and should contribute. Even if they can't spell wiki. It is that simple. Let the folks who have more experience worry about the rest. Anybody could add a topic almost as easily as posting to the forums. Here on the forums, if you make a post in the wrong place, no problem - someone comes along and moves the post to the proper forum/subforum/child board. The wallywiki will work the same way.

My contributions to wikipedia have been contributed to many times over by others who made my original contribution look so much better. And you know what - god bless them for it. It is a collective effort where nobody should be made to feel like an idiot for a contribution that is less than standard. All contributions should be appreciated without question. If the contribution needs some help, fine - anybody can do that as well.

Being as you have experience with wikipewdia - and understand it's success, I am wondering the nature of the post you make because it sounds like a question the wallywiki. I for one will contribute... Will you?
Old 01-28-2006, 11:43 PM   #11
_

. , .
an example......todays feature article in wikipedia is on prostate cancer, a very important issue.

the mistakes and mis leading info in the piece are multiple....just to point out one......it suggests that vasectomy my be associated with an increase. the article used for reference is 13 years old! and has been beat to death by more recent info....12 years in medical research on a common disease is forever. also it suggests that "frequent ejaculation" (5 times per week) during the 20's may be protective....this data was obtained by asking old men 'the how often' question......30-40 years later! pleeeeeeeeease. lots of partners isn't a factor but infection is.......hummmmmm.....guess what infection is associated with.....yea......frequent partners.

my point is any/many going to wiki for prostate cancer info is at real risk.

i didn't post that i understand wikipedia's success, i didn't imply it, don't think it. never mentioned the issue of "success".

i do think it is popular and that's not the same thing as successful.

my original question was 'who on the list knows anything about format/design/construction of a wiki?

not who wants to be supportive or join in.....with content. sure we can correct/modify each others content....but i'm curious about how knows design....

'you know what andy said, you know what you said' but do you understand what i asked...it's simple.

and yes i knew better than to step into this exchange with you, so now i'm steppin out...

cheers
2air'
Old 01-29-2006, 12:13 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Well to start with Andy know web & knows wiki.

I know web and wiki - I have several sites under my belt, you have surely seen mine. The link is in my signature if not.

As for errors such as what you saw on wikipedia, those surely will be corrected by somebody. What book have you or anyone ever read that didn't have an error? The good thing with the wiki is that once found, you don't have to tell anybody about it. You just go ahead and fix it. Problem solved.

And wiki is self policing and self structuring. Errors do get corrected as they will on the wallywiki. So I look forward to seeing your contribution.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:46 AM   #13
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Just like nearly everything in life, there are positive and negative aspects of wiki system. In the end it is tool to help us capture knowledge in another form. This discussion was brought up in an effort to bring life to this project. As it evolves it will be easier for all members to contribute.

I will be maintaining the backend infrastructure of the WallyWiki.

The content will be licensed under the Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs license which allows you to:
  • to copy, distribute, display, and perform the work
Under the following conditions:

Attribution. You must attribute the work in the manner specified by WallyWiki.

Noncommercial. You may not use this work for commercial purposes.

No Derivative Works. You may not alter, transform, or build upon this work.
  • For any reuse or distribution, you must make clear to others the license terms of this work.
  • Any of these conditions can be waived if you get permission from the copyright holder
We have lots of pages to create including (but not limited to) instructional pages on how to use the site, requirements for attribution, categories (taxonomy), etc. Please give us some time to get the skeleton of this site going.

Also, a special thanks to all those that have added their names and are willing to help get this going. It will be really special to look back in a few years and know that you were one of the first people to get this Open Source project going.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:12 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
It does have a place - why not? If it is airstream related, it is in.
As Andy stated on the wikis purpose - to archive the history of Airstream Trailers and Motorhomes and also create guides, how to's and other projects for us to collaborate on.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:16 PM   #15
_

. , .
65gt and others

while time passed between post 1 and 2...i don't see any differences in the 2 posts.....more like a bump. no info has been posted to describe the project or structure, or anything really except to note.....it's coming along.....

first post mentioned adm rights to those who do help with setup....and i was just wondering about who on the sign-up list understands or is setting up the project.

i don't see any thing new there to now suggest "ok, let's get the content folks on board now".......so i've just been asking an extension of the question airstream25 posted.....

now it reads like andyr is doing all the backend work....which is fine.

being a moderator here or post whor3 in the forums, isn't the same skill set as having adm rights for a wiki site....

anyone posting big blocks of knowledge to a wiki (or this wiki) needs to understand what happens to the info.....and who now 'owns' it.....

true experts, historians and so on who have equity in their content should understand what happens to their content.

as for mistakes being corrected in real time making everything better........suppose a "how-to" electrical topic has a dangerous error, and someone uses it....only to toast their trailer or themselves......then a few days later the topic is "fixed"..........on the wiki.......

that entire issue, is one of the many key differences between printed books and vapor publishing....

also note the number of forum members with real content equity (like the a/s life guy and others) who no longer post much but instead have their on blogs, website and so on....

lastly
please understand that a wiki isn't an end product of any sort.....it is part of a sequence from list servs to forums to wikis to ?????.......

where the hypertexting and archiving tools improve. some content migrates some doesn't and at each increment new restrictions, licenseing rights and ownership rules apply.....to essentially what is a group of folks exchanging ideas.....and having that exchange increasing 'owned' in some way by someone.......

cheers
2air'

btw b'cup.....

surely i haven't seen yours.....i make a point of almost never clicking on links embedded in signatures......maybe i'm missing something i really need to know......but mostly i'm avoiding contacts that carrry bugs and other debris....
Old 01-29-2006, 02:41 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
in regards to the matter of errors, Nature printed a study on this recently. The conclusion, if I remember correctly, was that wikipedia was somewhat more reliable than the encyclopedia brittanica. You can see wikipedia's response at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...er_2005/Errors

another column in Nature has some thoughts that may be pertinent to this thread
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...l/438548a.html

The problems of correct information or even intellectual integrity are not easy ones to solve. Even highly regarded journals have had their problems.
The whole concept of peer review depends upon thorough vesting by many eyes and that is what a wiki can provide.
Old 01-29-2006, 03:18 PM   #17
_

. , .
hi bryan and others....

thanks for the links to nature...i had seen those pieces but forgotten where. there are many issues with printed peer review and too many publications with too few qualified reviewers..... and it is a long step from basic science to applied science. again the wikipedia is a fun, quick place to look up a topic......but i sure wouldn't act based on reading there....

you are correct in suggesting a wiki can provide many eyes for review....but those eyes need to attached to brains with content.....and context.

i last used the e.b. in 1970....or so, but i think it would be a nice place now to look up basic facts about history, people and other finished issues.....i'm not surprised the wiki is no more accurate.....but with a 'who is that person and what do they really know' editorial board.....

folks need to remember the why/what of an airstream wiki.....
from post #13...
"In the end it is tool to help us capture knowledge in another form."

i'm not sure i need another form of capture for airstream issues.....
and my ego sure doesn't need another forum.....

as the nature piece notes..."blogging will survive as it appeals to all the exhibitionists" and my gene for this is very very small..........so now, back into the rabbit hole.

cheers
2air'
Old 01-31-2006, 09:24 PM   #18
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
I guess I've just got a little more faith in this wiki system, maybe a little more faith in the individual rather than the group. From my perspective it's more about components, time-lines, and some fairly solid facts.

My take on Wiki (or my interest) is to see a historical and complete shop manual develop. What's in my unit. What other units was it common to. What was it preceded by, what was it replaced with. For any component listed, what are its specs, its maintenance and repair procedures.
gt, just a couple of note....and since i'm likely talking to my self....no more on this thread.

i'm confused my you text above.... if you have more faith in the individual rather than the group.....why would you support a wiki? open source work is ALL about the group....no one individual.

if you interest is in a historically correct document, specs, complete shop manual, components, timelines, fairly solid facts....well most of this info has or is already done....histories exist, shop manuals have been written. component lists are available online (maybe not your model). aren't there already appliance manual from bargman to yatzi? from the solar makers to alcoa?

are factory folks gonna contribute....they've got the original dope...are some retired a/s or wbcci types gonna help?

is tour man don....on line here?

i do realize how smart people are here .....but a great example is.......go in the hardware store in jackson center.....and say something about an electrical component from the 70s-80s.........the guy that owns the hw store was the design engineer on the electrical systems then.......so he's got the real dope and can easily explain issues that folks here spend pages wormin' around....

will the people who have published the histories or written shop manuals or trailer repair put their own good work up? or will people snip it, fluff it, shake it 3 times and put it on the wiki as "free knowledge"

the wiki has been described here, by the boss, as
"another place to capture the knowledge......." and comes with licensing restrictions......and reuse limits....

wasn't it you who was making such a big thing of airstream inc/thor holding back the progress of a........forums.com and so on?

maybe i'm thinking of someone else....

and while i realize the furvor in which you are on this club naming thing......wouldn't airstream/argosy wiki be more descriptive a repository on these things... wallyw.......is cute but ever wonder why the a word isn't in there?

i don't think posting questions about how/what/why this thing will work is the least bit negative....or pessimistic

wiki's aren't new in any way....except digital.

we have had open source/populist driven knowledge projects that have been extremely successful and enduring......weather watching programs rely on this group/collective effort. so too astronomy where new astronomical bodies are found or redefined by the collective eyes......and perhaps the most famous and useful of all........ the oed was offered up by a world wide collective of brains way before the digital age.

but successful projects like these had/have trained experts as the final filter....folks who can separate the the wheat from the chaf for everyones gain....without them we'd likely call stars astral bodies and no english word would have a useful history...

besides if i wanted to type something negative/pessimistic......it might be......

i'll put my wallywiki bumper sticker right next to my forums oval and tee shirt and rabbit ears...

cheers
2air'
Old 02-01-2006, 03:01 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Free access ??

The text beginning with "Miscellaneous" below is some of the fine print pertaining to The Airstream Knoweldge Sharing Forums. It can be found under "Community Policies".

Lesson Exercise for Today:
Look particularly at the last two underlined sentences below and, in 500 words or less, compare and contrast those sentences to the concept of "Free Access". 10 minute time limit, start now.

Miscellaneous:

Due to our policy of encouraging candid, open exchanges of views and the rapid distribution of information originating from many sources, the AirstreamForums.com cannot determine the accuracy of information that may be uploaded to the forum.

We are not responsible for Copyrighted material that is posted by a member. To report a Copyrighted violation, please contact us. We will remove the content and notify the member not to post material that is Copyrighted.

The owners of this site have the right to change the policies listed above at any time. If policies are changed, all posts, threads and/or members that are found in violation of the policy can be removed, modified or moved at our discretion and without explanation. The use of the forums constitutes acceptance of these policies.

No portion of these pages, text, images or code, may be copied, reproduced, published or distributed in any medium without expressed written permission by the owners of this site.

All content is Copyright © 2002-2005 AirstreamForums.com.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
Old 02-01-2006, 07:34 AM   #20
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
As Buttercup states above, the information posted to WallyWiki will be licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5license which allows free distribution of that information for non-commercial purposes.

As Fred highlights, the information posted to the forums does not follow the same license.

These systems may seem similar but function in very different ways. Please be patient and let us get WallyWiki going and then the differences will become evident.

I am going to close this thread because this topic is played out. Thanks for your input.
Closed Thread