Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info

Old 04-21-2012, 10:13 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
When you find the item you want to bookmark on the browser. Down at the bottom of the screen there is an arrow that kinda looks like a right turn arrow. Punch it, there will be several options. Pick one.
When you want to look at an item you bookmark. Go to the search engine (ie safari ) at the bottom there is an icon that looks like a book opened. The second one from the right. Punch it. All of your book marks will be listed.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:34 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
I don't get it???

I downloaded the ipad app and I don't get why anyone would prefer it to viewing the forum on Safari? The app version is just a bunch word lists. This (regular web version) is much more colorful, so what's the point?

Old 04-22-2012, 05:25 AM   #31
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich of SCal
I downloaded the ipad app and I don't get why anyone would prefer it to viewing the forum on Safari? The app version is just a bunch word lists. This (regular web version) is much more colorful, so what's the point?
It's handy for traveling, that's why. .

We have a MacBook, which we love, but in spite of its advertising to be taken anywhere at any time, it really isn't meant for bumpy roads under construction, etc. We crashed a hardrive about 2 years ago, using on a less than smooth road. Maybe I should have known better but we'd been without a signal for a bit.

Also, the iPad takes up about 1/4 the space of the laptop. It's all about space economy.

Mggie
Old 04-22-2012, 05:40 AM   #32
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
I do the fingernail thing also. Where is the refresh button on the Ipad?.jim
Old 04-22-2012, 05:44 AM   #33
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi
I do the fingernail thing also. Where is the refresh button on the Ipad?.jim
I refresh safari when I pull it up, mail does it automatically.

Maggie
Old 04-22-2012, 05:46 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Thanks. jim
Old 04-22-2012, 06:54 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If you want to look at the full version when on the iPad, just go to the top of the page and touch the bold black lettered title. It will take you to the regular forum you are use to seeing on Safari. Adds and all.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:48 AM   #36
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie
If you want to look at the full version when on the iPad, just go to the top of the page and touch the bold black lettered title. It will take you to the regular forum you are use to seeing on Safari. Adds and all.
Aaaah, thanks.

You must sign in and out every time for this, right?

Maggie
Old 04-22-2012, 10:19 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
It's handy for traveling, that's why. .

We have a MacBook, which we love, but in spite of its advertising to be taken anywhere at any time, it really isn't meant for bumpy roads under construction, etc. We crashed a hardrive about 2 years ago, using on a less than smooth road. Maybe I should have known better but we'd been without a signal for a bit.

Also, the iPad takes up about 1/4 the space of the laptop. It's all about space economy.

Mggie
No u don't get it. I wrote that on my iPad but using Safari, not the iPad app. I'm doing the same right now on my iPhone. The app is dull and uninspired. I have an Airforums safari link on my home screen. I am signed in with one click. IMHO the app takes away features without adding anything. It's the same with other forums. Unless, of course you prefer to just work with lists. I don't, but it's a preference I guess.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:46 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I have tried to figure out just what went into designing the iPad and where it will go. In some ways it seems a compromise, just like smart phones. Mainly for one purpose—to consume media (the smart phone theoretically is a phone first)—but also to have some interactive features like a degraded Safari and virtual keyboard.

To send things is awkward. A few words to Google may get you what you want on Safari, but to use searches with the flexibility and ease a laptop gives is impossible. Composing e-mails is also awkward. It certainly can be done, but not like a laptop.

It also is slower than a laptop (or a fairly recent one) and has a less effective antenna.

It does a lot, serves some purposes well (long battery life, portability, smaller size), but it is not a full service computer. I don't know much about other apps, but the NY Times digital edition is about the worst program I have ever used (crashes, touch screen does not always respond, articles disappear while reading them, awkward responses and more crashes).

Where will it go? It seems that Apple starts out with a basic model of something new and exciting and then steadily, but slowly adds in more features found on a desktop (and a laptop since they are replacing desk models) and in several years, the iPad will be very similar to the laptop. There may be a continuous line between the smallest laptops and the enhanced iPad6 of 2015. Maybe it will make phone calls, but the capability will probably go toward video calls via the internet—they already have some of that.

Gene
Old 04-22-2012, 11:03 AM   #39
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich of SCal View Post
No u don't get it. I wrote that on my iPad but using Safari, not the iPad app. I'm doing the same right now on my iPhone. The app is dull and uninspired. I have an Airforums safari link on my home screen. I am signed in with one click. IMHO the app takes away features without adding anything. It's the same with other forums. Unless, of course you prefer to just work with lists. I don't, but it's a preference I guess.
Mmmm, I see what you are saying.

I do like the full service link from Safari better, but it is really speedy to touch the app on the IPad to just check posts.

I suspect we will pack the Mac laptop somewhere and take it with us for awhile, if not forever. Having it also lets Doug and I both on the internet at the same time, which is handy and peaceable.

Maggie
Old 04-22-2012, 11:48 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Maggie;
Don't know what you mean about signing in and out. If you go to the top of this thread and touch the bold print. (thread title) it will take you to this same thread as you are on here. To get back from there you touch the arrow at the top left of the screen.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:02 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Rich,
I don't know what you mean when you say lists. I can look at anything on my iPod that I can look at on the desktop. Photos are in color. I can see your Jeep and trailer in your Avatar in color. The only reason I go to the desktop now is to be able to look at larger pictures. And sometimes when I have a lot more to type. I can type faster on the desktop. Instead of 20 wpm I get all the way up to 40 wpm. LOL
Really, the only thing I don't see on the iPod is the commercial advertisements which clutter the right side and top of the screen of the desktop.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #42
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Maggie;
Don't know what you mean about signing in and out. If you go to the top of this thread and touch the bold print. (thread title) it will take you to this same thread as you are on here. To get back from there you touch the arrow at the top left of the screen.
Aaaah, I did not know that. Thanks. I like that better.

I can now see emoticons but not get them to post.

What about that, o wise one?

Maggie