Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2015, 06:12 PM   #1
Damien

2012 27' FB International
2023 30' Flying Cloud
Lafayette , Colorado
Updating AIR FORUMS to something more modern

I'm fairly new to the community but I can see already I'm going to be part of it for years to come. I feel like the forums' software vBulletin is outdated and makes for a not so great experience across multiple devices. Have you considered upgrading the forums to something more modern?

I came across Discourse recently: Discourse.org, they even have a vBulletin converter. I realize changing over would not be a cakewalk, but it would be an investment for the community to thrive for years to come.
tot2learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:34 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Thanks for the suggestion. Have you tried the mobile view of AIR (not the app)? It's lean and fast but as with many mobile platforms doesn't support all site features. (Registry, Galleries...)

We are not likely to make any change in the near term. Converting software platforms is a BIG deal and not one we would undertake lightly. AIR has a pile of features that don't seem to be currently supported by Discourse and while we keep an eye on available options might be more inclined to consider something along the lines of XenForo.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:22 PM   #3
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
vBulletin 4 would be more modern, but this is still a way better platform all day long.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:44 PM   #4
Damien

2012 27' FB International
2023 30' Flying Cloud
Lafayette , Colorado
I noticed vBullettin is up to version 5. Maybe there's an upgrade in our future then ;-)
tot2learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:45 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Salem , Virginia
Can you create a facebook page that is linked to the forums like airstreamclassifieds.com is? I find that airstream addicts/adventures/crazies pages all have lots of followers but many of them are newbies or don't even have an AS.
JConsroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:54 AM   #6
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by JConsroe View Post
Can you create a facebook page that is linked to the forums like airstreamclassifieds.com is? I find that airstream addicts/adventures/crazies pages all have lots of followers but many of them are newbies or don't even have an AS.

https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamForums

AirForums Custom Search
Old 07-15-2015, 11:13 AM   #7
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
Adventure rider forum just went to xenforo last weekend. Some of the tools I use I have to dig for, but I'm expecting Baldy (owner) will tweak his site back to the easy user, fast loading side.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:21 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Still wish we had a "HOW TO" section--One devoted to solutions to problems only. I believe something like this was set up in the past but was not contributed to in a major way. We always ask questions on these threads. Someone who has been there and done that answers--our problem solved, but that advice is then lost in the mountains of posts later. Next guy with a simular question has no way of knowing an answer is posted "somewhere".
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:24 AM   #9
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard L. View Post
Still wish we had a "HOW TO" section--One devoted to solutions to problems only. I believe something like this was set up in the past but was not contributed to in a major way. We always ask questions on these threads. Someone who has been there and done that answers--our problem solved, but that advice is then lost in the mountains of posts later. Next guy with a simular question has no way of knowing an answer is posted "somewhere".
That would be useful. I've posted two such threads already myself.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:19 PM   #10
Zil
4 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
Currently Looking...
Eyren Haven , South Jersey
I visit this forum every day. I hope some of my posts are helpful to other members. I like this forum and think it works well.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 01:07 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
My 2 cents ...

The Forum is fine as is, why fix something that isn't broken?
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:12 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Mission Viejo , California
Nothing beats vbulletin yet. In fact it seems the more "modern" a user interface is, the less useful it becomes.

A good example of the terrible, destructive effect of "upgrading" just for the sake of "modernizing" look at any of the Yahoo family of websites. They have become miserably depressing sites to try and use.

I hope Air Forums remains with vbulletin.
Bill Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:20 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrgtrakr View Post
My 2 cents ...

The Forum is fine as is, why fix something that isn't broken?
i agree
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:43 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
Despite the presence of a graduate degree I am still computer challenged. Now that I have learned how to use our site, my vote is to leave it alone. Sorry all you techies.

>>ron<<
Old 07-15-2015, 06:04 PM   #15
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lynch View Post
Nothing beats vbulletin yet. In fact it seems the more "modern" a user interface is, the less useful it becomes.

A good example of the terrible, destructive effect of "upgrading" just for the sake of "modernizing" look at any of the Yahoo family of websites. They have become miserably depressing sites to try and use.
Yes - this ^

There is a great temptation to either upgrade to the latest version of a software or move to the next awesome thing BUT there is also good reason to be cautious and we are not moving anytime soon. Our forum is vBulletin and it's an older version, but it's stable and functional. A few years ago the parent company for vBulletin was sold a few years ago to a megacorp and later releases were by all accounts disasterous. You can read about the saga here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XenForo

There are a few other forum platforms out there. Currently the most promising of the bunch is Xenforo, but it's new still and rapidly evolving. We are watching...

AIR (the entire site) is actually several different pieces of software laced together. Galleries, the registry, classifieds and right side columns are each unique platforms and so making a change is complex. New for the sake of new is not a good enough reason to make a change.

AirForums Custom Search
Old 07-15-2015, 06:35 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Speaking for myself only ......

I get real nervous every time someone says: "You should ....."

As I rapidly approach the definition of a senior citizen I really find that I don't have a whole lot of need to be ahead the digital computing curve - in fact - I really am a genuine fan of "KISS - if it ain't broke then don't fix it ....."

.... now .....

..... having said that - if it IS broke - then hopefully those responsible for "the fix" will honour the KISS principles that are held in such high regard by those of us who remain computer illiterate no matter how often we are shown how to turn the damn thing on and off .....

Thanks (in advance),

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:50 PM   #17
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
A few years ago the parent company for vBulletin was sold a few years ago to a megacorp and later releases were by all accounts disasterous.

Internet Brands not only bought vBulleting but went around buying up forums too to use their SEO juice to sell advertisements. Can't count the number of forums I've been a part of that they ruined. I used to be a vBulletin developer, my profile still active on vbulletin.org under my old username of pennylessZ28

These days, I'm just a standard full stack developer, I don't dabble much in php anymore.