Old 07-15-2015, 06:04 PM   #15
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lynch View Post
Nothing beats vbulletin yet. In fact it seems the more "modern" a user interface is, the less useful it becomes.

A good example of the terrible, destructive effect of "upgrading" just for the sake of "modernizing" look at any of the Yahoo family of websites. They have become miserably depressing sites to try and use.
Yes - this ^

There is a great temptation to either upgrade to the latest version of a software or move to the next awesome thing BUT there is also good reason to be cautious and we are not moving anytime soon. Our forum is vBulletin and it's an older version, but it's stable and functional. A few years ago the parent company for vBulletin was sold a few years ago to a megacorp and later releases were by all accounts disasterous. You can read about the saga here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XenForo

There are a few other forum platforms out there. Currently the most promising of the bunch is Xenforo, but it's new still and rapidly evolving. We are watching...

AIR (the entire site) is actually several different pieces of software laced together. Galleries, the registry, classifieds and right side columns are each unique platforms and so making a change is complex. New for the sake of new is not a good enough reason to make a change.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:35 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Speaking for myself only ......

I get real nervous every time someone says: "You should ....."

As I rapidly approach the definition of a senior citizen I really find that I don't have a whole lot of need to be ahead the digital computing curve - in fact - I really am a genuine fan of "KISS - if it ain't broke then don't fix it ....."

.... now .....

..... having said that - if it IS broke - then hopefully those responsible for "the fix" will honour the KISS principles that are held in such high regard by those of us who remain computer illiterate no matter how often we are shown how to turn the damn thing on and off .....

Thanks (in advance),

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:50 PM   #17
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
A few years ago the parent company for vBulletin was sold a few years ago to a megacorp and later releases were by all accounts disasterous.

Internet Brands not only bought vBulleting but went around buying up forums too to use their SEO juice to sell advertisements. Can't count the number of forums I've been a part of that they ruined. I used to be a vBulletin developer, my profile still active on vbulletin.org under my old username of pennylessZ28

These days, I'm just a standard full stack developer, I don't dabble much in php anymore.