Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-07-2010, 04:50 PM   #1
Site Team
 
Janet H's Avatar

 
1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 11,869
Images: 90
Updated Front Page - Club discussions

You may notice that the Portal page has a sightly different layout.

The main section for the most recent discussions has been split in 2 and a new area added specifically for Club discussions. We hope that this change will be a best of both worlds solution, both for those avid followers of recent and evolving club changes and those who entirely disinterested.

__________________

__________________
1964 Overlander | '08 Touareg V6
Current Project: 1964 Globetrotter

.
Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:10 PM   #2
Certifiable
 
mistral blue's Avatar
 
. , .
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,460
Talking How Ironic

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...cci-59475.html
__________________

__________________
"IT'S A MAGICAL WORLD, HOBBES, OL' BUDDY... LET'S GO EXPLORING!" ~ CALVIN
mistral blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:25 PM   #3
_
 
. , .
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 8,812
i seldom use the portal page but this will be one more reason NOT too...

the confusion NOW is that this new separate 'window' with several club threads is for NOW and will primarily be JUST wb' theads...

why not just include a LINK to the wb sub forum and not the dreadful thread titles?

were i a newbie wandering around the air forum site and portal page LOOKING for info on AIR groups/clicks/tribes (the fun stuff)...

this NEW window would really take me to the dreadful discussions on the wb'...

THAT doesn't exactly improve the image of THIS site or encourage participation HERE...

it's a good idea to parse out the wb' stuff, but it also seems important to distinguish...

THAT CLUB and the shenanigans from THIS (not really a club) club and our hi-jinx and group gyrations...

the window head right NOW looks like it's about THIS PLACE when it's really about that place...

give me MORE droll not more dreadful!

cheers
2air'
__________________
all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:51 PM   #4
Administrator
 
Andy R's Avatar
 
1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,980
Images: 13
Blog Entries: 1
2air, I never knew you were willing to share you upbeat opinions? LOL. Tell us how you really feel!

The section is intended for any formal club discussions like Tin Can Tourist, Good Sam, WBCCI, VAC, Escapees or any other new club that might be formed. Although your opinion is to simply remove them all from the home page we wanted to find a solution that would fit the needs of our members who are interested in these discussions. Thanks for understanding.
__________________
AIR # 2 - 1961 Bambi - Jeep Cherokee
------------------------------------
Campground Reviews: Submit and review campgrounds around the US
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:00 PM   #5
_
 
. , .
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 8,812
well, i understand it is for ALL clubs (real, imaginary and future clubs)...

but FUNCTIONALLY it will be all wb', almost exclusively.

when was the last good sam or tct CLUB thread posted here?

for example there are now 6 wb' threads dating back 48 hours on the FRONT PAGE...

essentially creating a mini wb forum in the portal window.

this might be fine IF the goal is to rub it in or compete with the clubs OWN website.

but IF that's the real goal it's a sad sad sad day for the air forums world.

especially since is MOVES the rally calendar listings DOWN AND OFF the main viewing area...

which will NOW require scrolling the front page to view.

again CLUBS could be linked a lotta other ways like the blogs, member list, gallery and classified.

the ONLY good thing is that there is shrink/minimize button in the upper Right corner...

so folks can SHUT the window in their personalized portal page.

cheers
2air'
__________________
all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:17 PM   #6
Site Team
 
Janet H's Avatar

 
1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 11,869
Images: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
...
the ONLY good thing is that there is shrink/minimize button in the upper Right corner...

so folks can SHUT the window in their personalized portal page.

cheers
2air'
For some this is truly a benefit. Not everyone belongs. The rally calendar didn't get moved down, instead the upper thread list got shorten just a bit. This is really just another way for members to sort info. Take some time to get used to it - sometimes a change can be good.
__________________
1964 Overlander | '08 Touareg V6
Current Project: 1964 Globetrotter

.
Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:45 PM   #7
_
 
. , .
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 8,812
yes the rally calendar is moved down.

there is the header space/box and 2-3 thread titles displayed that are MORE than 24 hours old.

about 3 inches of STUFF on this monitor and that is precious real estate.

and it will only be rotated with MORE of the same stuff.

but it's not really about the movement down or even the threads.

it's about something else and THAT is the real issue.

good change = good, but bad changes never turn into something useful (except the lesson IF learned)

i've NO issue with improvements or enhancements but this is NEITHER of those.

it really IS something else for some other reasons.

lay down with dogs and get up with fleas.

cheers
2air'
__________________
all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:57 PM   #8
Administrator
 
Andy R's Avatar
 
1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,980
Images: 13
Blog Entries: 1
From your 1st post in this thread:
Quote:
i seldom use the portal page but this will be one more reason NOT too...
So what's your problem?
__________________
AIR # 2 - 1961 Bambi - Jeep Cherokee
------------------------------------
Campground Reviews: Submit and review campgrounds around the US
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:51 PM   #9
_
 
. , .
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 8,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
...So what's your problem?
one interpretation of the quote above is that it's a question...

so i'll reply WITH an actual answer.

of course it could just be a personalized inflammatory comment directed at a regular member HERE by the owner.

something regular members are FORBIDDEN from doing in the terms of use document...

one might interpret that the "be nice concept" is only for rank and file?
_________

so the issue becomes HOW to answer this question or have an intelligent exchange with someone...

who can delete the post, close the thread or suspend the member...

typing on egg shells seems to apply here now.

my previous posts IN THIS thread express the concern (problem) i have.

NO WHERE have i personalized the exchange OR suggested "to simply remove them all from the home page"...

that is NOT my opinion and is NOT part of any post here.

clearly you've MIS interpreted or MIS applied a private exchange, that's too bad.
_____________

so lets looks at what is happening HERE these last 2 weeks.

members acting like CHILDREN start threads announcing they are...
-being censored on ANOTHER forum (the wb')
-quitting the wb' because of this censorship or club irresponsibility
-then they "praise" how FREE they are HERE to bash the wb' without being censored.

others POSITIVE toward the wb' announce they are "quitting" AIRforums...

and THEIR thread titles get edits to omit the AIR word.

at the SAME TIME these 'quitting threads' are running their course, and other boorish wb' stuff is REHASHED yet again...

1. SOME OF US are encouraged via PM to "promote the air 'clubs and groups' page in those wb' threads...

2. a "national/international rally" is suggested for these forums...

3. a separate section on the PORTAL PAGE is developed that is for "official club threads"

and so on...
____________

it's been written HERE many times that the goal HERE wasn't to compete or replace the wb'...

but these actions taken ALL TOGETHER suggest something else.

my concern is seeing THIS PLACE stay healthy and evolve.

with the ONLY TOOL available to regular members...

specifically...THE POST.

imo the recent actions are laying down with a toxic club that is on the decline...

and will spread the toxin HERE.

there is NO NEED to compete with the wb OR encourage it's decline...

it will survive or NOT of it's own doing.

the LAST time there were an overwhelming # of negative/conflicting wb' threads dragging THIS PLACE down...

it was suggested to the principles to TAKE IT ELSEWHERE.

and they did EXACTLY THAT and the 'save wally' website was born.

THAT was and is a good thing.

volleying NOW with the new wb' site OR it's owner is NOT a good thing.

the toxin WILL SPREAD.
___________

i also realize that a LOT of FOLKS here enjoy or WANT the wb' threads and debates and info...

and that they see THIS PLACE as the media for fixing the club's many issues.

that's fine but THINK about what enabling those actions does TO THIS PLACE and it's primary value.
_____________

and MY taking time to POST these comments comes from a desire to keep AIR healthy.

nothing more or less and straight from the heart.

while these comments might represent a DISSENTING VIEW, that IS the nature of OPEN THREADS.

at one time HERE it was considered healthy to freely but politely exchange views.

i'm doing my part in that exchange, are you?
____________

IF otoh the point of the o.p. was JUST to announce the PORTAL change.

the announcement should have been closed to ANY replies OR made a CLOSED sticky somewhere...

at least THAT WAY we would not be BUMPING this announcement to the top for more folks to read and think about...

cheers
2air'
__________________
all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:10 AM   #10
Restorations done right
Commercial Member
 
Frank's Trailer Works's Avatar
 
1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,547
Images: 2
the call goes out to please move the club crap to separate area.

request is met by moving the club crap to a new separate area.

New area is not good for some.

Man, I just do not get it.

Thank you for trying to make some happy so others can become unhappy with what you have done.

Someday everyone's personal agendas will be taken care of and all will be happy.

Holding my breath till hell freezes over....
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:31 AM   #11
Rivet Master
 
Minno's Avatar

 
1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,154
Personally, I'm happy with the new layout. Makes it a tad easier to locate the club stuff, which I generally ignore right now. So, thank-you from me for the time and effort to make this change.

Perhaps a solution to one of the items mentioned in the posts above would be to have club section threads drop off the portal if the thread has not been updated for say 48 hours. That would help ensure the portal page only has the current threads on it. I realize that would add a bit of complexity to the coding for that section, and it would also make that window variable in length, so I don’t know how many problems that would cause. You could keep the max window size at 6 threads. Just a thought.

Chris
__________________
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:44 AM   #12
Restorations done right
Commercial Member
 
Frank's Trailer Works's Avatar
 
1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,547
Images: 2
the portal page is the most current threads. if lots of activity is taking place the threads move down the page quickly. It has nothing to do with how long ago they were posted.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:55 AM   #13
Aluminut
 
Silvertwinkie's Avatar
 
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 10,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
one interpretation of the quote above is that it's a question...

so i'll reply WITH an actual answer.

of course it could just be a personalized inflammatory comment directed at a regular member HERE by the owner.

something regular members are FORBIDDEN from doing in the terms of use document...

one might interpret that the "be nice concept" is only for rank and file?
_________

so the issue becomes HOW to answer this question or have an intelligent exchange with someone...

who can delete the post, close the thread or suspend the member...

typing on egg shells seems to apply here now.

my previous posts IN THIS thread express the concern (problem) i have.

NO WHERE have i personalized the exchange OR suggested "to simply remove them all from the home page"...

that is NOT my opinion and is NOT part of any post here.

clearly you've MIS interpreted or MIS applied a private exchange, that's too bad.
_____________

so lets looks at what is happening HERE these last 2 weeks.

members acting like CHILDREN start threads announcing they are...
-being censored on ANOTHER forum (the wb')
-quitting the wb' because of this censorship or club irresponsibility
-then they "praise" how FREE they are HERE to bash the wb' without being censored.

others POSITIVE toward the wb' announce they are "quitting" AIRforums...

and THEIR thread titles get edits to omit the AIR word.

at the SAME TIME these 'quitting threads' are running their course, and other boorish wb' stuff is REHASHED yet again...

1. SOME OF US are encouraged via PM to "promote the air 'clubs and groups' page in those wb' threads...

2. a "national/international rally" is suggested for these forums...

3. a separate section on the PORTAL PAGE is developed that is for "official club threads"

and so on...
____________

it's been written HERE many times that the goal HERE wasn't to compete or replace the wb'...

but these actions taken ALL TOGETHER suggest something else.

my concern is seeing THIS PLACE stay healthy and evolve.

with the ONLY TOOL available to regular members...

specifically...THE POST.

imo the recent actions are laying down with a toxic club that is on the decline...

and will spread the toxin HERE.

there is NO NEED to compete with the wb OR encourage it's decline...

it will survive or NOT of it's own doing.

the LAST time there were an overwhelming # of negative/conflicting wb' threads dragging THIS PLACE down...

it was suggested to the principles to TAKE IT ELSEWHERE.

and they did EXACTLY THAT and the 'save wally' website was born.

THAT was and is a good thing.

volleying NOW with the new wb' site OR it's owner is NOT a good thing.

the toxin WILL SPREAD.
___________

i also realize that a LOT of FOLKS here enjoy or WANT the wb' threads and debates and info...

and that they see THIS PLACE as the media for fixing the club's many issues.

that's fine but THINK about what enabling those actions does TO THIS PLACE and it's primary value.
_____________

and MY taking time to POST these comments comes from a desire to keep AIR healthy.

nothing more or less and straight from the heart.

while these comments might represent a DISSENTING VIEW, that IS the nature of OPEN THREADS.

at one time HERE it was considered healthy to freely but politely exchange views.

i'm doing my part in that exchange, are you?
____________

IF otoh the point of the o.p. was JUST to announce the PORTAL change.

the announcement should have been closed to ANY replies OR made a CLOSED sticky somewhere...

at least THAT WAY we would not be BUMPING this announcement to the top for more folks to read and think about...

cheers
2air'
Lotta stuff in here makes a lot of sense.......perception is 9/10ths.....
__________________
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:53 AM   #14
Administrator
 
Andy R's Avatar
 
1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,980
Images: 13
Blog Entries: 1
Shhh... Don't tell anyone but the plot is to replace the blue beret with tin foil hats!


__________________

__________________
AIR # 2 - 1961 Bambi - Jeep Cherokee
------------------------------------
Campground Reviews: Submit and review campgrounds around the US
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Front Page of pickuptrucks.com newroswell Airstream "In the News" 0 07-30-2009 05:23 PM
Airstream on the Front Page of the Missoulian, Missoula, MT PeeWee Airstream "In the News" 1 05-04-2009 09:19 PM
No more Xstream Makeover Discussions Andy R Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info 2 02-15-2008 06:08 PM
Updated Portal (Home) Page! Andy R Our Community 6 10-24-2002 08:25 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2015 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.