Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-08-2008, 01:19 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
ste-catherine , quebec
try find the right ansewing

fist folks sorry for my bad english, i'm french canadian
so i look for buy a 1976 airstream 25 f i drive a explorer v8 5 liter 5000 lbs tow capacity.

i try to know if i can tow it pretty easly whit it, some say no because
1 truck are not annof strong
2 to old
3 some oter say air stream are not like the same then regular trailer yes you can

in same time i seen picture whit truck like nissan who look able tow a 25 f.

the trailer i look, need replacement window, all have something like salt in bottom of it, can i change it by my self, because i know that kind of special rivets. few work to do, the trailer are stationnary since few year, wird cable under who are cut, could be for brack. green srtange grass grow between body and aluminium body stips.

avrage the body are nice little few small bump on body, i'm shur with a little time and right stff she bright like new.

how much i normaly pay for it

what i have to check closely, the weekness of aire stream

think you for your patience and time

friendly yours michel
mickkymickky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:20 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Welcome to the forums!

This may not be the answer you wanted to hear.

The weight of a 76 25' Trade Wind is 4200 pounds. This is without any options (Air Conditioning or awnings) added. It also does not include anything that you put in the trailer or the 60 pounds of propane or 320 pounds of water that you can carry. The bottom line is that you will be over the tow capacity (5000 pounds) of the truck. The short wheel base of the Explorer also makes it a not very desirable towing truck as well.

A friend of mine had that same model truck and I would not have used it to tow my trailer which is the same size and weight as yours.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:35 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. We are glad to have you with us.

I am afraid that I must agree. A Ford Explorer would not make a very good tow vehicle for a 25 foot Airstream. There is not quite enough vehicle there for that much Airstream.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:53 AM   #4
Desert Fox

1985 31' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Smile Hi,

Ford Exploder as we called in in the auto industry. It has a very weak transmission that has a tendancy to blow up. Get yourself a 3/4 ton pick up truck with a V8. With that explorer you will spend more time in the shop than on the road.
Regards fromm Russell in sunny and coo; Tucson Az.
RUSSELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:05 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
michel

Tout d'abord, il semble remorquer votre véhicule n'est pas assez grand pour la remorque. Deuxièmement, la remorque a décrit les sons comme si elle a besoin de beaucoup de travail. Personnellement, je cherche quelque chose en meilleure forme.

Just my opinion.

ps. pardon my French

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Sorry, rough translation is:

First, it seems that your tow vehicle is not large enough for the trailer. Second, the trailer described sounds as if it needs a lot of work. Personally, I would look for something in better shape.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:00 PM   #7

Currently Looking...
ste-catherine , quebec
dear , hope future airstream friends, i'm so surprised for that so fast answer. cooollll gang! fist scottw your translation are great and thx for that french it's a velour on my french hart, azflycaster, nice dog hope tavel my bouvier des flanders on my airstream in future
so i understand about my explorer, crapy for that, what a see it's not juste the engin and tow load are important, that the size of tower , what i used? look for pick up like gm with 5.3 liter even in same famelly a yukon, than i need more biger. trhe earler explorer with 4.6 it is ok or new grand cherokke whit 3l diesel 7000 lbs tow it is ok?

the onwer of the projet ask 2000$ canadian humm nice say that now lol
i expect gat it for 1000$ and use it to do hobby whit it could be strip it all inside ... like i ask before,
1- window are it pretty simple to change ? and avrage price
2- weekness of that kind of model

so great great thx at all again

michel
mickkymickky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:13 PM   #8
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
With any vintage trailer there are several things to look out for. Worn out axles are always a possibility. The axles arm from the tube to the wheel should be at least horizontal or even pointing down toward the wheel. If they are worn out they will point upward toward the wheel. This can be an expensive repair.

The other thing to look for is the floor. It should be firm and solid. If the trailer has had leaks the floor may be rotted away. Check below every window and at the door. Another area in that model is the very end of the trailer under the bathroom sink. If the floor has major rot, it is a major job to replace. Rotted floor could mean rusted out frame as well.

Other things to check are the operation of the furnace, refrigerator, water heater and air conditioning. Testing the water system for leaks is also a must do. If it has set and water has frozen in the pipes you may need to re-plumb the trailer.

It sounds like a lot to check, but do you want to buy a trailer that requires thousands of dollars to repair? Check out this document, it has a lot of good information:
Price vs. Condition - Airstream Values

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote