Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: Would you attend an AIR National Rally?
Yes, I'd be there for sure! 34 22.97%
Yes, I'd go if it was less then one day drive away! 43 29.05%
Yes, I'd go if it was less then a two day drive away! 67 45.27%
No, I don't want to hang out with you! 4 2.70%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-25-2009, 04:26 PM   #81
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtStream View Post
Yea yea, and we can have snakes in a box.
well maybe not
Now THAT'S funny!
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 07:38 PM   #82
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Survey: AIR National Rally

I needed something to occupy my mind today so began thinking about the logistics of the Du Quoin State Fairgrounds in Du Quoin, IL as a potential Rally site. My research shows that the fairgrounds have hosted at least two large RV meetings -- one that attracted in excess of 3,000 families and another that attracted in excess of 1,500 familes. The only thing that I find in conflict is the number of sites in the campground -- the least reported was 300 while the largest report was 1,000 -- the state of Illinois has taken down most of the pages dealing with Du Quoin so there must be some major changes in the offing. What appears below is what I learned from my research:

DuQuoin State Fair Grounds, DuQuoin, Illinois
Port Cape Girardeau Restaurant – Cape Girardeau, MO
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 07:26 AM   #83
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Frank
Im sorry I have been AWOL here and just read you comment. I know there was structure. That being that Dave and Rhonda did all the contact work because they live 10 miles from the campground. They were the driving force. But Other than that I saw NO Presidents or VP's or 3rd VP's from 16 yrs ago to muck up a great time. I just hope they are up to doin it again. Run over and join us next yr.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 07:44 AM   #84
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Columbus , Ohio
Sounds like a "National" could work. We have been to two AIR events with a third coming up in a couple of weeks. It is likely we would try to be at the inaugaral event regardless of the destination.

I haven't read the entire thread to see what has been suggested but a couple of things come to mind. How about the Quartzite area during the season. Plenty to do and plenty of space. Just no hookups etc.

Or, Blackhills area NOT during the motorcycle rally. There is a campground there with over a thousand full service sites (water , electric and sewer) that is only used for the two weeks in late summer for the rally. You would think something could be negotiated with them for a large event.

Corky
Cstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:55 AM   #85
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
I'll throw in my push for disorganization here. Currently over at the ol' WBCCI, there's a push (motion 26 of the winter IBT, for those familiar) to at least put the idea in front of the execs. that a national rally is too much. Granted, the suggestion of motion 26 is to have a rotating regional rally that is "supported" by local groups when it's in their area and "designated" as the "national" rally. My point here is that by going after an AIR-national rally, we are progressing toward a national organization and all of the perils that it entails. The beauty of AIR Forums and the rallies that stem from it is that they are informal and there's very little organization. I'd love for there to be a larger gathering of AIR forums people as the AIR rallies that I've gone to have been great. BUT as soon as we start collecting money and organizing things like big-ticket entertainment and alcohol then you're setting people up for some trouble.

Here's what should be conditions of an AIR forums rally:

1. Each attending trailer is responsible to make their own reservation and pay money to the hosting site by themselves. There will be no mass-reservation by one person. Rationale: all responsibility and cost falls on the individual and the liability is on the hosting site, i.e. campground, state park.

2. Any alcohol is brought by the individual. Period. Rationale: liability. If you bought it and brought it, then the group / organizer is in no way responsible. Those not consuming alcohol or otherwise offended by it are not set-off by the thought that their rally fee contributed to it.

3. Any organizational expenses will be paid by the person who incurs them. Doing such a task that requires money will be done without the expectation that it will be paid back in any way shape or form via a "rally fee" or anything else. They are doing volunteer work. The only means of reimbursement would be via a "donation jar" at a common location at the rally. Organizers could state the total of expenses and ask that donations be made to offset, but there would be no required rally fee by anyone in attendance. Rationale: if you able to and want to donate / pay for the rally, do so. But, if you volunteer to be an organizer then you are exactly that: a volunteer. You are DONATING time and money for a greater good without expectation of getting any benefit other than seeing a group of people enjoying themselves.

Maybe we would never find a venue that would be willing to take 100+ trailers, but that's the cost of getting a place which absolves Airforums and the organizers of all liability.

Let's not add complication and structure about money and liability to a loosely organized group that works well already. Let's target guidelines that eliminate structure...if that's possible! . If we can ensure 1-3 above, then I'm in!

-Jason
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:20 AM   #86
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
The smaller Airforum rallies that have happened, have been for the most part quite successful and not over organized. How about having 4 separate Airforums rallies, run as in the past but all coming together at the same place. 4 groups planning, North, South, East and West all with the same time line and location. Only a quarter of the effort needed by any one person.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:32 AM   #87
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
Frank
Im sorry I have been AWOL here and just read you comment. I know there was structure. That being that Dave and Rhonda did all the contact work because they live 10 miles from the campground. They were the driving force. But Other than that I saw NO Presidents or VP's or 3rd VP's from 16 yrs ago to muck up a great time. I just hope they are up to doin it again. Run over and join us next yr.
Roger,
My family and I are going to try and make it. I do not see any dates listed yet. I have heard nothing but good things about this rally and we really hope to come. This summer we have a two week trip planned to go as far north as the road will take us. I know that is somewhere in Labrador. Everything is revolving around that trip and we still have not firmed those dates. If we are not on the road, we will come. I owe Dave. He has personally asked me three times in the past to come and this year I want to keep my word.
I promise to cover my former red numbers if I come as to not offend you. I will wear no beret nor a badge....
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 04:49 PM   #88
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shacksman View Post
The smaller Airforum rallies that have happened, have been for the most part quite successful and not over organized. How about having 4 separate Airforums rallies, run as in the past but all coming together at the same place. 4 groups planning, North, South, East and West all with the same time line and location. Only a quarter of the effort needed by any one person.
Creative thought. Like it.

Barry
Old 12-26-2009, 08:30 PM   #89
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
Great Idea! Plan things to do like local museum docent led tours, any tour of interest, a hike, bike ride, a local theater company.
I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:23 AM   #90
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
Last August the Rocky Mountain Vintage Airstream Club had a boondocking rally at the Albany County Fairgrounds in Laramie WY. The field was very large, flat, and recently mowed. They had between 60 and 70 trailers. They erected a large tent for get togethers. They had a generator and very long estension cord for electricity in the tent with no noise. They had six or eight port-o-pottys around the perimiter. It is OK to put wash water on the ground there. Those who needed electricity brought generators. Some shared. They too are tight with New Belgian and had Fat Tire on tap the whole time.

It wasn't expensive, but sure was a fun five days.
Yep, and we will be doing it again in August in Salida, CO!

Many regional fairgrounds have the capability to handle these sorts of things...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:52 PM   #91
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shacksman View Post
Regional rallies first and if they bloom and grow then a national rally would be a natural.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:25 AM   #92
3 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Marblehead , Hasslechusetts
We have use of a beautiful fairgrounds with lots of water and electricity hookups in New Hampshire for three days in early May and mid October every year. We use about 50% of the grounds. There is plenty of room left over for such an event.
"Best #@! Hamfest on the Planet!"

www.near-fest.com
mistermike is offline   Reply With Quote