View Poll Results: Would you attend an AIR National Rally?
Yes, I'd be there for sure! 34 22.97%
Yes, I'd go if it was less then one day drive away! 43 29.05%
Yes, I'd go if it was less then a two day drive away! 67 45.27%
No, I don't want to hang out with you! 4 2.70%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-24-2009, 01:35 PM   #71
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
I don't see why there cant be a regional rally designated as the Airforums International Rally each year with the event rotating as suggested earlier. These could piggyback on current long standing events or be entirely new. It would be neat if there were caravans from the other regions of the country coming in....
This is an EXCELLENT idea!

Old 12-24-2009, 05:00 PM   #72
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Angry Snakes in an Airstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
We could call it..."The First Annual Airstreamers Revival Meeting"

A small fee for signing up and pass the hat at the campfire...
Yea yea, and we can have snakes in a box.
well maybe not

ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 05:28 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Last August the Rocky Mountain Vintage Airstream Club had a boondocking rally at the Albany County Fairgrounds in Laramie WY. The field was very large, flat, and recently mowed. They had between 60 and 70 trailers. They erected a large tent for get togethers. They had a generator and very long estension cord for electricity in the tent with no noise. They had six or eight port-o-pottys around the perimiter. It is OK to put wash water on the ground there. Those who needed electricity brought generators. Some shared. They too are tight with New Belgian and had Fat Tire on tap the whole time.

It wasn't expensive, but sure was a fun five days.

You might want to get hold of those folks to get contacts.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:45 PM   #74
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Jim, that sounds like a lot of fun. I need to move back to Colorado!
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:01 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Chenango County Fairgrounds

Andy,

Here in central NY, Chenango County is pretty much the center, geographically, of New York State. We have a very nice County Fairgrounds that costs $1000 to rent for a weekend. It's got a huge infield inside a dirt horsetrack, a great grandstand, and many outbuildings. There's a 30-40 spot campground on one side, with water and electrical hookups in a u-shape configuration.. it too would be ideal in the future for such an event! Lots close by to do too!

Here's a link. I live about 5 miles from these grounds... just a thought.

42.530952,-75.509144 - Google Maps

Rob
http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:17 PM   #76
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Thanks for the link Bob.

Here's my summary of the posts and poll so far:
- The poll is pretty lop sided and signals that there is strong interest in a Nationally designated event.
- There are already significant rallies happening and it would be nice to recognize these events by designating them an official Annual AIR National when it's in their region
- We need to keep costs low
- People just want to have fun, we don't need to plan many events for the weekend, just like most of the current AIR Rallies

Some of the mods have suggested some amazing campgrounds, one that had 200 spots and would have a significant cost to reserve the whole thing. As previously stated, this is where the support of AIR comes in when designating an event the annual National. Normally a smaller regional even might be constrained by resources needed to be "risked" by the host. We could offer financial support to make sure resources can be reserved.

Keep the feedback coming, this will be an ever evolving process. If you have not voted, please vote in the poll above. We will continue to listen and put together a game plan in the early part of next year.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:49 PM   #77
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
Last August the Rocky Mountain Vintage Airstream Club had a boondocking rally at the Albany County Fairgrounds in Laramie WY. The field was very large, flat, and recently mowed. They had between 60 and 70 trailers. They erected a large tent for get togethers. They had a generator and very long estension cord for electricity in the tent with no noise. They had six or eight port-o-pottys around the perimiter. It is OK to put wash water on the ground there. Those who needed electricity brought generators. Some shared. They too are tight with New Belgian and had Fat Tire on tap the whole time.

It wasn't expensive, but sure was a fun five days.

You might want to get hold of those folks to get contacts.
Jim you're right, Albany County Fairgrounds in Laramie WY was a great site and affordable!
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 02:02 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Oh boy, Wood'Air

Or is that Air'Stock

Make our own entertainment. From various threads it would appear that across the country(s) there are musicians etc. everywhere as one would expect.

Potlucks (not to be construed with the version of luckypot that happened at the original in 1969) are great for initiating gatherings and fellowship.

Many small towns with fair grounds would probably love to have a group of Airstreamers show up. Some power available, washrooms may be negotiable, and an open house for the locals on part of an afternoon would probably be a welcome addition to the towns folks. And you never know who might have an older Airstream lurking in their barn they want to sell or get excited about and get on the Airforums bandwagon. I also suspect local musicians might come out to play. And we put a few bucks into the local economy so everyone wins.

Often with little more than a day or two notice the local vintage car clubs will bring their vehicles around for display if anyone is interested. Kind of fun and a little side entertainment.

I think explaining to the municipality that this is a large gathering of individuals, not a "club" but folks who travel and gather from time to time around the country and an expected number (per those who say they are coming in advance) is about all that can be provided would work in a smaller community. They have a lot of flexibility. Having a dozen Airstreams show up is a treat - having 50 is a big thing, and more than that generates a lot of excitement. That could be leveraged. The town themselves might use it to their own advantage - they are "hosting" a gathering of Airstreams...............just thinking out loud how we might be able to get easy access camping with some facilities and without having to put up money in advance.....
Old 12-25-2009, 03:03 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I think it's a great idea. Our attendance would depend on what else was on our schedule and how far from home—that's probably true for most people.

Even the Rainbow People, who claim to have no organization, do have one and do negotiate with the FS or whomever controls the land they want to have their festival on. They do have some rules and they usually clean up afterward. Clothing is optional.

Insurance? The Forum's assets are at risk if anything happens, so insurance is a necessity. Signing waivers is not enough because waivers don't stop claims and you can't waive everything no matter what the waiver says.

This is probably going to start small because all things do. Maybe two smaller "national rallies", one in the west and one in the east, would be a good way to start. While boondocking is nice, so are hookups—maybe one with and one without. A place that popped into my mind just now is the area between Spring Creek and Slumgullion Passes outside of Lake City, Colo.—there's a large flat area near a waterfall whose name escapes me (I'm on dial up right now and it'll take too long to look it)—definitely boondocking). It's FS land. I think it's one Colo. 149.

Gene
Old 12-25-2009, 03:13 PM   #80
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
It would be neat if there were caravans from the other regions of the country coming in....
The caravans converging in on the rally could become quite the events in themselves. Perhaps they could start as smaller groups and grow in size as they converge into larger units as they approach the rally...

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 04:26 PM   #81
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtStream View Post
Yea yea, and we can have snakes in a box.
well maybe not
Now THAT'S funny!
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 07:38 PM   #82
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Survey: AIR National Rally

I needed something to occupy my mind today so began thinking about the logistics of the Du Quoin State Fairgrounds in Du Quoin, IL as a potential Rally site. My research shows that the fairgrounds have hosted at least two large RV meetings -- one that attracted in excess of 3,000 families and another that attracted in excess of 1,500 familes. The only thing that I find in conflict is the number of sites in the campground -- the least reported was 300 while the largest report was 1,000 -- the state of Illinois has taken down most of the pages dealing with Du Quoin so there must be some major changes in the offing. What appears below is what I learned from my research:

DuQuoin State Fair Grounds, DuQuoin, Illinois
Port Cape Girardeau Restaurant – Cape Girardeau, MO
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 07:26 AM   #83
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Frank
Im sorry I have been AWOL here and just read you comment. I know there was structure. That being that Dave and Rhonda did all the contact work because they live 10 miles from the campground. They were the driving force. But Other than that I saw NO Presidents or VP's or 3rd VP's from 16 yrs ago to muck up a great time. I just hope they are up to doin it again. Run over and join us next yr.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 07:44 AM   #84
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Columbus , Ohio
Sounds like a "National" could work. We have been to two AIR events with a third coming up in a couple of weeks. It is likely we would try to be at the inaugaral event regardless of the destination.

I haven't read the entire thread to see what has been suggested but a couple of things come to mind. How about the Quartzite area during the season. Plenty to do and plenty of space. Just no hookups etc.

Or, Blackhills area NOT during the motorcycle rally. There is a campground there with over a thousand full service sites (water , electric and sewer) that is only used for the two weeks in late summer for the rally. You would think something could be negotiated with them for a large event.

Corky