Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-13-2017, 09:49 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22
Tavares , Florida
Starting a "What is this?" Thread and where

So this is a thread about posting a thread

Yeah, exactly. I have a proposition for the admin and I want to see what people think or if I'm just off of my usual rocker.... (pretty likely )

I would like to start a "What is this?" thread. The reason is that I think more people are picking up where someone else left off. Case in point: I purchsed an Argosy that has already been stripped and I have been gifted bins and bins of, well, stuff: Screws, brackets, LOTS of broken drill bits pieces and parts and valves and such.

Where it might be totally obvious to one person that it's an LP valve because it came from the copper line near the stove, it might be a total conundrum for someone else who has a pile of metal in a box.

To all purists: While welcoming new people is usually left for those who have the perky attitude no matter what time of day it is, this could be a place to not only help the new kid without having to tell the whole story or describe the entire repair, but also find things you may be looking for! If you say "Because the 78's used the ABC and you're converting to the XYZ, you won't need that, but I've been looking for that stove knob for a year now!" Make friends, find what you need?

edited, bad Where should it be put?

My thought was the repair sections are for that, repairs and the model specific may mean someone with knowledge misses being able to help. I see a lot of people on here that have had multiple AS so if they are working on a Land Yacht right now but have already completed a Bubble and an Argosy, they might not be in that model forum much if at all.

So most of this mind wandering is because I'm still waiting to take delivery on mine (see my blog), but I thought it might be fun

Ok, let the berating and beatings begin!

-Cj

If I can't find a way, I'll make one
lilsheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I think it would be hard to find a common audience for an ongoing thread like this, where readers would scan it from start to finish to see if anything already identified matched something they had.

That said, we have new threads regularly where members are trying to figure out what something is, so why not go for it...maybe in the General Repair forum.

Maggie
Old 08-13-2017, 12:52 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

oz , Tennessee
I think this is the best idea for a new thread that i have probably ever seen on here. It just get so exhausting on here of seeing nothing but Hitch and tire threads. I think this should be posted as a permanent link
wahya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:05 PM   #4
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahya View Post
I think this is the best idea for a new thread that i have probably ever seen on here. It just get so exhausting on here of seeing nothing but Hitch and tire threads. I think this should be posted as a permanent link
There are fantastic restoration threads on this forum. Highly recommended. And will keep you out of The Slough of Despond for weeks if not months.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:37 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

oz , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
There are fantastic restoration threads on this forum. Highly recommended. And will keep you out of The Slough of Despond for weeks if not months.
Yea I know all about the threads. This would be a thread that is ever changing and hopefully informative along with some rare parts that might get salvaged instead of trashed which is what happens on a lot of rebuilds.
wahya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
start it up, see how it goes. you never know till you try.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
If the thread is a valid standing thread it will take on a life of its own.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:57 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22
Tavares , Florida
Talking Yay!

Wow, thanks for the encouragement! I think it could take on a life of its own but I wanted to ask. You can search the forum for months and still not find 75% of what's in here so I just wanted to make sure with the veterans that it 1. had already been posted or 2. dumb idea.

I really appreciate it! Thanks for supporting your local noob.

-Cj

If I can't find a way, I'll make one
lilsheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
If the thread is a valid standing thread it will take on a life of its own.
Exactly!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote