Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2016, 12:29 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Sellers here are not responsive so far

Do sellers mark their posts SOLD or do they just let them hang on the Classifieds, teasing folks like me who are trying to find an AS that suits their personal criteria?

I have had the experience of sellers with a 3-4 day old post never responding. Weren't they seriously seeking a buyer? Another behaved oddly & became uncommunicative after we asked for additional photos & said we would like to come to see it. A deal for over $18,000 ought to be straight forward, shouldn't it?

So far, trying to trade my cash money for a decent AS has been discouraging. I haven't been low balling anyone either, just hoping for clear information leading to a fair exchange of money for a trailer. Any advice?
Freeborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 12:45 PM   #2
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Sorry for your experience. I just purchased an Airstream here from a Forums seller. Before I decided on that one, I contacted two others (one of whom did not respond, now that I think of it).

I will be posting my 98 31' Classic Limited soon. I can assure you that I will respond if your are interested in mine.

Good luck in your search.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 12:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I think one of the underlying problems is a lot of the sellers are not computer literate and may not follow their listing on a regular basis. I have contacted several and asked for additional pictures and it was clear they had no idea of how to comply.

But on the other hand I advised my sister-in-law who is Airstream literate but not computer literate to sell here and she did and completed the deal in less than a week.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 02:13 PM   #4
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
I successfully purchased my unit from the classifieds 3 days after it was posted, but it took the computer/technical skills of the son to take and send more photos & scanned documents, so I concur with HowieE.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 02:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
If you check out the sellers Airforums history many non responsive sellers have only one post if any at all. They join only to sell and not contribute to the forum knowledge base. I strongly believe that sellers should be required to have at least a certain number of honest post prior to being allowed to post in the classifieds. That is a common and excepted requirement on many forums. I like the number "25".

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 02:22 PM   #6
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
I purchased my 2009 25FB last summer via the Air Forums classified ads. It was listed about three days and the seller had numerous offers. But he did respond promptly telling me it was already sold. He asked for and I gave him my contact in formation just in case, and sure enough, the original buyer could not complete the transaction. I was next in line and bought it.

Some sellers are just poor communicators. I've seen this with numerous items on various selling mediums. Of course, as said before, some may also not be computer savvy.

Those that really want to sell will respond. So I recommend just being patient (if possible)!
Hans627 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 02:32 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I belong to many forums, and it seems people will join a ton of forums for the sole purpose of selling whatever they are selling, and nothing else. They may have joined 12 other RV forums, and posted and sold the trailer on one of those. If that happens, they could care less about all the other ads they have posted.
Old 06-26-2016, 02:36 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Thanks!

All your comments have been very helpful. I guess I just need to cancel my ferry reservations until someone means to sell me their Airstream!
Old 06-26-2016, 03:23 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum! Your patience will be rewarded . . .

Peter

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 03:56 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeborn View Post
Do sellers mark their posts SOLD or do they just let them hang on the Classifieds, teasing folks like me who are trying to find an AS that suits their personal criteria?

I have had the experience of sellers with a 3-4 day old post never responding. Weren't they seriously seeking a buyer? Another behaved oddly & became uncommunicative after we asked for additional photos & said we would like to come to see it. A deal for over $18,000 ought to be straight forward, shouldn't it?

So far, trying to trade my cash money for a decent AS has been discouraging. I haven't been low balling anyone either, just hoping for clear information leading to a fair exchange of money for a trailer. Any advice?
Disappearing when a visit to see the trailer is suggested is a common response from scammers. I posted my trailer for sale, but ended up trading it in. A few days after I marked it sold, the pictures appeared in a new ad. I initially thought it was the buyer of my trailer, but it wasn't. The listing was ultimately removed by an admin. I am suspicious of any ad where the poster has joined recently.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 04:37 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Thanks. That was my feeling as well.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:17 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I sold my OE wheels on Airstream Classifieds.
I neglected to remove the ad or mark it sold until someone contacted me after the wheels were sold.
I then went back onto the site and marked the wheel ad sold to prevent further confusion.
It was an oversight not to mark the ad "sold" sooner.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:49 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2004 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Langley , British Columbia
Hello, I can only speak for myself.
When we sold our rig I immediately removed it from the classifieds.
Sorry you are having such difficulty, it sounds frustrating.
Shelby
shelbry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:40 PM   #14
Prairie Schooner

2005 25' Safari
Whidbey Island , Washington
I am a relatively new member AND one of your neighbors (Coupeville, WA) - what are the odds of THAT?!

I just purchased a 2005 25' Safari from a gentleman in Ferndale (N. of Bellingham). Perhaps we were interested in the same trailer? At any rate, after replying to his classified ad with an e-message I took another look and noticed that he posted a phone number in his ad. Had it not been for that phone call I probably would not have purchased the unit because his internet use was almost nonexistent. Just saying'

Maybe we can get together some time. I am at the top of Parker Rd hill. You can't miss the airstream - it's right off the driveway in a car/trailer port.

“Is this goin’ to be a standup fight, or another bug hunt?”
- Bill Paxton (Private Hudson in the movie Aliens, 1986)
christopherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:54 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
We are on SR 525 about a mile north of Greenbank. We are looking at Globetrotters so we can pull it with our Highlander. We may have found one in Shelton.

Whidbey Island is our new home. We moved here this month after selling our place near Bellingham. Building a little house in Langley soon. Small world!
Old 06-27-2016, 02:12 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
West Vancover , British Columbia
I'm currently offering my Safari 25 and had great difficulty getting photos into the ad. So please be patient with geriatrics. We aren't rude. Just incompetent!
hiljon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 04:40 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrgtrakr View Post
I think many don't check email regularly so they don't even know someone is interested.

We'll sell you our 75 Overlander ... it's currently in Crestone Colorado and will be relocated to Mission Texas soon.
Retama Village?
glenrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 05:48 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeborn View Post

Come to Canada, to CanAm in London. John Watterton gave me straight info, and followed up on my requests. Good man to deal with.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 06:09 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Freeborn try onecraigs and be specific. I searched for three years for the right one. Remember cash is king. Be patient . What are you looking for? Yr, length, model
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:59 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
I have bought two Airstreams and sold one here. I had several conversations with both sellers and my buyer. I think the classified section of this forum is a great place to buy or sell an Airstream. I removed my trailer the day the buyer pulled it away. Just keep looking and don't be afraid to ask questions.
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote