Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-20-2018, 07:41 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Gonzales , Louisiana
Sell Motorhome for an Airstream Travel Trailer?

We are seriously considering selling/trading our Tiffin 2009 32ft Motorhome for an Airstream 30ft classic. We would like to know if anyone has any advice, pros/cons/experience/advice/regrets/etc of going from a motorhome with two slides to no slides on airstream besides space, less outside storage, towing a 30ft travel trailer with a Chevy half ton truck, etc? All information is welcomed! Thank you!
PDGotro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:57 PM   #2
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Just remember, when the DW wants to use the loo, she just can't get up a use it......you now have to pull over.
If you want something cold to drink.....pack a cooler.
Can't make you a sandwich on the run....
If it pouring buckets upon arriving at your campsite, be prepared to get very wet.
Don't worry, your DW will stay dry in the TV until you're finished getting the trailer unhooked and the stabilizers down.
Did I mention you need to chock your trailer wheels before you unhitc........oh, no. That'll buff out.

Welcome to trailering.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

PS I'm going to let the 3/4-1 ton boys tell you what they think of you pulling a 30' Classic with a 1/2 ton.

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:18 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Gonzales , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Just remember, when the DW wants to use the loo, she just can't get up a use it......you now have to pull over.

If you want something cold to drink.....pack a cooler.

Can't make you a sandwich on the run....

If it pouring buckets upon arriving at your campsite, be prepared to get very wet.

Don't worry, your DW will stay dry in the TV until you're finished getting the trailer unhooked and the stabilizers down.

Did I mention you need to chock your trailer wheels before you unhitc........oh, no. That'll buff out.

Welcome to trailering.

Cheers

Sidekick Tony

PS I'm going to let the 3/4-1 ton boys tell you what they think of you pulling a 30' Classic with a 1/2 ton.

[emoji106][emoji106]
PDGotro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:18 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Hillbilly Hollywood (Nashville) , Tennessee
Think about this:

You will be moving from a 32 ft in length RV Motorhome to an almost 50 ft in length tow vehicle/RV trailer combination.

Are you and/or your wife that good of a driver to handle all that extra vehicle length?

Better square off them turns and keep backin up till you hear metal!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:26 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
The following is not original advice but very good advice nonetheless. Rent a trailer and tow vehicle before doing such a big RV change. Yes, it will cost you some bucks but a lot, lot less than realizing you made a big mistake and need to sell your shiny new toys!

Chris
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Welcome to the forum. We'd like to do something similar. In our case, though, it will be a bit easier since we're in a 40' Foretravel with no slides and we tow a Lincoln MKT, so overall length will be similar.

MH pros: easier to pull over for whatever is needed (snack, bathroom, etc.).
interior is always a comfortable temperature.
On-board generator.
Two drivable vehicles, so if one breaks down the other is available to get help.
towed can be disconnected from MH and go ahead to scout if necessary.

MH cons: tall vehicle.
specialized service places needed for maintenance.
Two drivable vehicles, so two insurances, two vehicle licenses.
May require special drivers license.

Airstream pros: low profile vehicle.
few steps to get in or out.

Airstream cons: less storage space outside.
can't run heat or a/c while underway.

Biggest question for you is your "mission profile." In other words, how are you going to travel? Are you moving from one place to another frequently, or do you go south for the winter and north for the summer? Do you have mobility issues that might make going up or down the stairs a problem? Can you handle the physical weights of hitching up the Airstream or leveling it?
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:31 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
We had a 37' Beaver Patriot with a Grand Cherokee toad. We went for a 27' International pulled by a RAM Cummins 2500. The living space, honestly is the same, maybe even a skosh more convenient and the lack of storage bays is fully made up by our truck bed shell. In our view, the only things we gave up were the on-board washer/dryer (which could wash 5 hankies, if they were small), the ice maker and the on-board genset. As you can infer, we didn't do a lot of laundry in the on-board unit; we bought a Dometic portable ice maker and a Honda genset. The separate genset is not nearly as convenient, but everything else is fine.

The huge bonus is that we can go so many more places that the behemoth couldn't go and the maintenance costs of the truck and AS combined is far, far lower.

In addition, you'll love the handling of the truck-trailer combination -- the handling, particularly in Wyoming where all winds are headwinds, and Montana and Colorado where all winds are cross-winds, is a piece o' cake. There were many days when my shoulders would ache from fighting the wheel, and there was one day between Las Vegas and Raton, NM where I simply pulled off at a farm exit because I could no longer fight the wind. You'll love the AS.

Others may differ, but if it were me, I'd look for more truck than a 1500 if you're looking at a 30'. Don't want to start an argument, it's just me.
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:17 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
When I had a 2015 Chevy 1500 CC SB my rear axle was at the max RAWR towing the FC 27 with a topper and gear in the bed.
It did the job, but I upgraded to a 3/4 ton, as being maxed out was not where I wanted to be.
A 1500 might pull a 30’ classic, empty, but once you load up for a trip I suspect you’ll be over the RAWR.
The brakes on a 3/4 ton are much bigger than the 1/2 ton. While gittyup is important, WHOA! is where you want extra capability.
By the way, I traded an Itasca Class A for the Airstream. They have pros and cons, but I won’t go back to a motor home. Too many things that can break.
Equal-I-Zer 10K/1000
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:45 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
In addition a tow vehicle is much more like a car than a MH. It has much higher safety standards.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:24 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Indian Wells , California
Welcome to the forum! We did exactly what you are considering, went from a 40’ pusher to a 30’ Classic. No regrets, much easier to handle, with a bed in pick up for storage you will not lose that much space inside or out. Do not miss the slides at all.
Probably should consider a 3/4 ton truck though.
SeaMover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:41 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I went from a 40' National Tradewinds to a 26' Airstream.
Since I was now traveling solo, the motorhome just became too big. I didn't need all that floor space. I also didn't miss the $400 oil changes and the constant "fixing" and preventive maintenance. I also don't miss buying a set of tires for $3500.
What I do miss is the gigantic storage under the belly. I had tons of stuff. I stored an 8' stepladder and a pancake air compressor!
I do find that driving the truck and trailer to be way easier, especially gas stops. The motorhome drove and rode great, but the bulk, including towing a trailer, made tight maneuvers stressful. I recount once how I drove 15 miles out of my way looking for a place to make a U-turn!

You'll have to decide if a half ton with a 30' is sufficient, many do it, many will tell you you MUST have F-350 with a diesel. I have a half ton and it drives great, but it's my daily driver also. I have no desire to climb up into the cab of anything higher.

While you're shopping, check the shower, the toilet, the bed, the dining area, and make sure you'll be comfortable. At the price point of an Airstream there's lots of brand choices. I didn't want anything else. (But I do miss my ice maker!)

Visit an Airstream dealer and check out every size. I picked the 26 because I hate dinettes. For me it's roomy and small at the same time. Also consider the twin beds, just for the storage and floor space.

Go on YouTube and watch the videos made by LoLoHo, a couple who's lived in their 25' Airstream for 10 years and travelled the country. Good advice.
Mollysdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:21 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
South Hero , Vermont
Sell Motorhome for an Airstream Travel Trailer?

I tow my 30’ FC with a Chevy 1500. But, I have the Maximum Tow package with the 6.2 liter motor. It tows and stops fine and it is a joy when not towing. My friend has a Chevy 2500 and I wouldn’t trade. His rides much more harsh and it gobbles gas.
I met a guy who tows his 30’ classic with a Tundra and loves it.
A 1/2 ton can do it, if equipped and set up right.
sb55 is offline   Reply With Quote