Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2016, 04:39 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
New Ashford , Massachusetts
Search Button tips

Hi,

I know many of you are far more computer savvy than I. This is not meant to insult anyone's intelligence. Many times we see the same topics come up over and over and over.... again. Yes some things are just fun to discuss and new info and opinions are always welcome, but in many of those threads the OP states they tried the "SEARCH" and had no results.

I find that I have good luck with the search if I do the following.

Go to the ADVANCED SEARCH feature
Chose 2 or 3 keywords or a phrase your looking for
The IMPORTANT part put the phrase your looking for in quotes "xxxxx"
Change the search to TITLES ONLY

As an example if you put in "Front Bed", search titles only, I get 20 very specific front bed threads to review.

On the other hand if you just type Front Bed, no quotes, and search I got 1600+ threads to review.

Without the quotes the search engine finds any thread with the word FRONT or BED in the title, not the specific phrase FRONT BED.

The fewer words you search for the better 2 or 3 works well, you just need to pick the best key word phrase.

Searching only TITLES eliminates the random post inside a completely unrelated thread.

I hope this is helpful. I like to think that SEARCH feature is your friend. There is a lot of great info on here. There is also a lot of chaff to weed thru.

The problem with chasing your tail all day is the view never changes. The same old thread with the same old topics does little to change the view. (opinions)

Happy Searching

Joe D
Dexterpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 06:06 AM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up ...do the 'google"

The AF search is pretty lame.

I always use the 'google'.

In the google header, type in air forums, then the topic. If your looking for a post from a specific member you can type in their user name to zero in.

Air forums Robert Cross Portuguese Water dogs

Bob
Old 07-31-2016, 11:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterpix View Post
Hi,

I know many of you are far more computer savvy than I. This is not meant to insult anyone's intelligence. Many times we see the same topics come up over and over and over.... again. Yes some things are just fun to discuss and new info and opinions are always welcome, but in many of those threads the OP states they tried the "SEARCH" and had no results.

I find that I have good luck with the search if I do the following.

Go to the ADVANCED SEARCH feature
Chose 2 or 3 keywords or a phrase your looking for
The IMPORTANT part put the phrase your looking for in quotes "xxxxx"
Change the search to TITLES ONLY

As an example if you put in "Front Bed", search titles only, I get 20 very specific front bed threads to review.

On the other hand if you just type Front Bed, no quotes, and search I got 1600+ threads to review.

Without the quotes the search engine finds any thread with the word FRONT or BED in the title, not the specific phrase FRONT BED.

The fewer words you search for the better 2 or 3 works well, you just need to pick the best key word phrase.

Searching only TITLES eliminates the random post inside a completely unrelated thread.

I hope this is helpful. I like to think that SEARCH feature is your friend. There is a lot of great info on here. There is also a lot of chaff to weed thru.

The problem with chasing your tail all day is the view never changes. The same old thread with the same old topics does little to change the view. (opinions)

Happy Searching

Joe D
Thanks, Joe, for this wise tip on how to get what some call a "lame" search function to better locate what your are searching for. I'm sure the "Search" feature is especially frustrating to new forum members, such as Dberg8453 whose very first post yesterday was how to get her gas grill to work properly when attached to the LPG valve on their brand new 2016 Classic.

I gave her a reply similar to your tip, which I think will benefit forum members:

The Search engine is your friend and useful if used wisely: Go to the appropriate subforum (in this example: LP Gas), then click on "Search this Forum" (in blue tool bar), then click "Advanced Search", then enter the Key Word (let's say "grill"), and change the field from "Search Entire Posts" to "Search Titles only", which will provide more relevant threads (of posts). And on any thread, you can click "Search this Thread" for more specific results!

Thanks, Joe, for your timely reminder!

-- Bill
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
I have found the best way to search is as follows:

Use google search and type in the topic you want, then follow it up with site:airforums.com.

For example, if you wanted to search for lithium batteries on this forum you would type the following In the google or yahoo search line:

Lithium batteries site:airforums.com

This apparently tells the search engine to look for lithium batteries only on the airforums website. Since I started using this method, I am able to find way more info on my own, versus the forums search or having to Post and ask others to find it for me.

Give it a try, it works great!
Troutboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
If using the site search keep it simple, more than one word confuses the software.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 03:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Chief; that's what's great about the method I said above, you can be specific and don't have to be general and one word
Old 12-07-2016, 04:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
Chief; that's what's great about the method I said above, you can be specific and don't have to be general and one word
I see that, we posted at the same that.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:15 AM   #8
jkwoodrow

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Springfield , Ohio
I've been frustrated by the search function on this great forum also. Having read the posts above will help in the future I trust. Thanks!
I frequent the Beechtalk forum. Their search engine works like I think it should.
John Woodrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:55 AM   #9
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
The search is a key word only search and as a native software function - it's well... lacking.

there are some ways you can drill down to find content via the advanced search including requesting only threads, thread titles or the poster who authored the post. Alternatively you might try bookmarking the link in my signature

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote